PDA

View Full Version : Mark Few Noon radio show Monday 1510am, spokane - running

gamagin
02-10-2014, 12:28 PM
Hudson:

opened w discussion of portland game while I answered a phone call.

before break:

TH: how about our bench
Few: "re bench, getting a lot of minutes and it's important. DB and Angel stepped in vs Por and kyle has been doing it all year.

TH: re memphis. talk about the environment in MEM
FEW: short of a FF the attention, noteriety that comes with it, the amount of views for the program and school is gigantic. can't put a price on it. we fortunate ESPN deems us worthy. They have only 8-12 programs in the country get that honor per year.

We came in without much rest, but you can't beat the attention and the program. also it's a game our guys want to play.

TH: diff style etc
FEW: YOu don't see athletes like that running around in our league. MEM is far and away one of the more superior athletic teams you are going to see. 10 top 100 kids on that team. tough match athlete to athlete.

TH: we were off to a good start.
Few: they are like a shot out of a cannon in transition. given an opportunity they are as quick as any in the country. unbelieveable about getting the ball to the basket. if they get it on the court you have no chance stopping them from the basket.

we handled press. we kept em off. couple tough to's in the half court. this was a game they were peaking for. The city was excited to see a ranked team. everyone knew what was goin on. it was spectacular and as impressive a home venue as I've been in. the only one I haven't been in is the Dean dome and this one is loud and one of the very best. Like the opening ceremony of the olympics.

TH: figure out pace ? made the 1st run, we held 3 pt at half,'
MF: yeah, we were finding what worked and what didn. went to bigs and brought it to them. they did a nice job delivering. then at the other end our first shot D was pretty good all night. just could NOT keep them off the O boards. dried up the last four mins. but the boards are the stats that jump out at you.

TH: they were athletic and flying in on us and playing and tipping the ball back.

Few: rebounding breaks down on penetration. they moving. we re sposed to choke down and find our guard on a big. they are used to missing shots and react nicely getting second and third shots.

TH: we got back and up 9. still thought that 2nd half that we had an answer until last 4 mins
MF: yes we did. need to focus. we were in control and needed one or two more basekts, or one more D rebound and we'd have won.

I was asked about the the jackson block being the turning point. I didn't think so.

The turning point was when Dixon took the ball away from us and made a three. that took it from 9 to six points. Then being able to function, execute and -- usually at the end -- you have to make a play. We were amped up, running through screens, etc., we needed to have to a guy step up and have a guy make a play. We didn have that. We had a couple of silly turnovers instead. They switched screens and try to drive it and we had balls poked away; another time we were unaware of the shot clock that one time. But all that is what hurt us.

i told team afterwards I don't know too many teams who could come in here and control the game. who could roll in and control the game for long stretches. we just needed couple more plays.

TH: Stocks had 4 assists and no turnovers, he played well, who else ?
MF: Mem had hard guards to guard. 1 on 1. DS managed it well and made some nice passes to bigs. he can thread the needle. Kevin, running on one ankle, did a nice job, too.

Their press was surprisingly not a factor. we handled it fine. again, at half court they turned it up. (our guards) driving it to the rim was (obviously due to multiple blocks) a non play (chuckles). take that off and you have to deal with other things. post and pullup and three point game basically.

TH: GC came to play on offense . . .
MF: "he tried a three (chuckles, noting that is how Ammo charactgerized GC's trey attempt). But actually GC played great. we were in trouble and they were blocking and he came in quieted the whole thing down. he attacked the rim at a high level and finished. You can't just drive and not finish. HE finished. He took it at em and made some big time plays. He's athletic and quick. He was the difference in the first half for me. (the question why GC didn't get in 2nd never came up. too bad)

TH: Drew. how that play out.
MF: solid role player but he's grown in that role, giving great effort trying to board and guard other bigs in some instances. We were getting killed on the glass and they were tryoing to post us. screens takes some of the aciton we can get DB on was taken out of the mix. would have liked to play him more. in retrospect, could have had him in there. we were getting our hat handed to us in the galss. so we had better rebounders in there. Kyle had 13 boards. Onthe way home I wished I'd have gotten DB in more but ..... (didn't finish thought)

gamagin
02-10-2014, 12:32 PM
back to the WCC chat (I'll edit the running quotes after)

TH: Pepp next
MF: we played well there first time. executed well. they're an upper echelon team that can beat anyone on any night. smc, byu fell to them for e.g. good mix of guards, shoot have as good a bigs as anyone in the league.

TH: sat LMU
MF: when they choose to compete, look out. they are physically gifted. depth challenged due to injuries. down to 8 guys. that will hurt them over 18 games, but not necessarily in one game. they pick and choose when they want to win one and we are that team. Ireland is their guy and he's a fighter. going to be a tough weekend.

TH: this weekend marks the end of the home season for us. LMU will be senior night

Zagceo
02-10-2014, 12:39 PM
To my point......the question why GC didn't get in 2nd never came up.

How do stop the chatter when you don't get asked the most obvious question?

gamagin
02-10-2014, 12:51 PM
-3-3-

Few went through heaping praise on SD, DS & DB -- the three seniors. "sam and stocks have stuck with the program and contributed for five years. and Drew came in and and made an immediate impact. I was talking to the Mem coach (missed name) and he noted that DB had won several games for us. I said yeah he has. He's been great for our program. He will be for the rest of this year, too. I hope it's more important than getting more p.t. at home."

TH: about brian bhaskar (sp)
MF: ben a tough year to accrue mins but he's really improved.

TH: question of the week - memorable senior moments over the years ?

MF "Mike nilson kissed the floor when he left. Ronny was so emotional we weren't sure he was going to be able play. JP batista -- we snuck his bro in from Brazil and surprised him.

th: does sr night get easier for you ?
MF: no emotions pour out. I try to channel the emotion. it is hard. this one (Sast.) falling this early gives me an excuse for not taking it as hard as most because it's taking place so early in the year.

YH: re KP's toe
MF: we try to have him take a day off here and there. i think we've started to turn the corner. The toe seems to be turning the corner. lately it's been the ankle that has been bothering him he feels he needs to get his reps up in the gym because that's what makes him special and feeling good. he'll start doing that instead of rehabbing and resting. now he's going to get back to the ball and that special connection.

asked about marcus smart
MF: moment got the best of him. I've been texting with him. it's important to realize he made a mistake. he'll move forward and he'll be fine. he regrets it. people need to understand the pressure that can be on these kids, especially his coming back to school instead of the nba and all that. The pressure is amazing. then things go sideways, their season not going as well as he had hoped -- all that combined and you start pressing yourself. (BUT) he'll be fine. he has a high level of character. time to put it aside, start smiling and play for fun, again. grown man calling him names. I have a big problem with that. BUT no excuse for smart's reaction. this is one little bump on the road.

bartruff1
02-10-2014, 12:55 PM
The contrast between Few and his critics is telling...

SWZag
02-10-2014, 01:10 PM
Gamagin, thanks for the recap. Appreciate it!

gamagin
02-10-2014, 01:27 PM
Gamagin, thanks for the recap. Appreciate it!

you are welcome.

I think I heard it will be repeated at 5 p.m. if you are within reach, on 1510 am.

madness
02-10-2014, 01:28 PM
Awesome work Gamagin...we all appreciate it!

gamagin
02-10-2014, 01:29 PM
there are a number of few tv and radio shows in and around spokane. KHQ has one and 1510 has one and I believe there are others, plus the videos from the local news stations.

I am wondering if there is a way to stream these shows ?

I am illiterate when it comes to finding these things out. So maybe, if one of you could crack this code we could all listen to the post game stuff, anyway, and perhaps elevate the discussions with fresh quotes and perhaps, fresh information, as well.

thanks,

Zags11
02-10-2014, 01:32 PM
Thx gam. We will be just fine.

cjm720
02-10-2014, 01:49 PM
Thanks, Gam. These are always great.

Sounds like Few has had some hindsight moments...just like a bunch here, except he's the one making the tough decisions on game day.

gamagin
02-10-2014, 02:02 PM
Thanks, Gam. These are always great. Sounds like Few has had some hindsight moments...just like a bunch here, except he's the one making the tough decisions on game day.

tnx. the takeaway, and the headline, for me is:

(1) it has been KP's ankle, more than the toe, that has been hobbling him, the last few games. The toe is apparently healing nicely. I thought back after hearing that and now believe when he came out of the game the last couple of times for a blow, it was after rolling his ankle. It looked like that but I assumed it was the toe.

At the same time, I've watch KP pretty closely and have posted, too, that he did not appear to be favoring the toe the past several games. Live in the K2 or on t.v. apparently that was because it was his ankle sprain hampering his mobility. assuming that is the case, and he gets back into his comfort zone by taking reps as he always has, we are going to see some great moments going forward.

win-win

DixieZag
02-10-2014, 02:12 PM
Well, to those who simply and respectfully questioned the line ups (and not screaming and blaming the loss on it) there's some indication that we weren't the only ones. Few says "in retrospect" - well, that is pretty much what happened here. Though, admittedly, Few does so with a little bit more sanity and contemplation that I could be capable of. Perhaps the loss really will help us down the road if the pattern is changed.

Edit to Add: Gam - that is a real nice service to those of us that can't catch it. It takes some time and dedication and it is appreciated.

CDC84
02-10-2014, 02:13 PM
It's great to hear that Marcus Smart and Mark Few have been texting each other. As Hoopaholic mentioned on this board after the incident on Saturday, someone needed to sit the kid down and talk some sense into him. I think Few probably sensed this and reached out to him. There is clearly mutual respect between the two of them. I realize that texting isn't the same as talking face to face, but it's still a good thing they are in touch. He needs to hear from people outside the OSU program that he admires because OSU is such a mess right now.

Hoopaholic
02-10-2014, 02:19 PM
It's great to hear that Marcus Smart and Mark Few have been texting each other. As Hoopaholic mentioned on this board after the incident on Saturday, someone needed to sit the kid down and talk some sense into him. I think Few probably sensed this and reached out to him. There is clearly mutual respect between the two of them. I realize that texting isn't the same as talking face to face, but it's still a good thing they are in touch. He needs to hear from people outside the OSU program that he admires because OSU is such a mess right now.

I was happy to hear that.........for Marcus sake (who I really really like as a player)

gamagin
02-10-2014, 02:21 PM
+1

Well, to those who simply and respectfully questioned the line ups (and not screaming and blaming the loss on it) there's some indication that we weren't the only ones. Few says "in retrospect" - well, that is pretty much what happened here. Though, admittedly, Few does so with a little bit more sanity and contemplation that I could be capable of. Perhaps the loss really will help us down the road if the pattern is changed.

Edit to Add: Gam - that is a real nice service to those of us that can't catch it. It takes some time and dedication and it is appreciated.

I think Few says in this interview, as nicely as he could, we lost because no one (a guy) stepped up when it was most needed. I took this to mean no one stepped up like Jackson stepped up for MEM. I don't think you are saying this but the general assumption seems to have been if only someone else were in there, we coulda, shoulda woulda.

which brings on a big yeah, but.

but what was needed was a bone fide shooter to shoot. to which I conclude: it didn't matter, but if arguing is the key, then I would have rather had DB in there simply because he's taken more treys than KD. BUT I would really prefer KP or GBj, the shooters on this team, to be "the guy."

fwiw

gonzagafan62
02-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Thanks man! You're da bomb!

Section 116
02-10-2014, 02:46 PM
Thanks Gamagin, I always forget about the noon Monday show, although I did hear just a bit when I was out and about today. One of the things I recall and I don't think you mentioned was the fact Few thought there were only 6 or 8 teams top in the country that could go into Memphis, in that atmosphere and compete as did the Zags. I heard him mention a couple times, as you noted the Zags just needed that one play toward the end and that may have made the difference. Maybe Dowers bucket when the shot clock expired-my thought not Fews. Few did note Dower didn't miss many shots and even the shot clock violation shot went in!

Radbooks
02-10-2014, 02:48 PM
tnx. the takeaway, and the headline, for me is:

(1) it has been KP's ankle, more than the toe, that has been hobbling him, the last few games. The toe is apparently healing nicely. I thought back after hearing that and now believe when he came out of the game the last couple of times for a blow, it was after rolling his ankle. It looked like that but I assumed it was the toe.

At the same time, I've watch KP pretty closely and have posted, too, that he did not appear to be favoring the toe the past several games. Live in the K2 or on t.v. apparently that was because it was his ankle sprain hampering his mobility. assuming that is the case, and he gets back into his comfort zone by taking reps as he always has, we are going to see some great moments going forward.

win-win

I know everyone doesn't read Meehan's articles at the Spokesman, but they should as they are full of interesting tidbits... especially his day after notes on the Sportslink Blog. This is what he posted yesterday about Kevin:

It should be pointed out that Pangos is far from healthy. He’s battled turf toe (right big toe) for more than two months. He sprained his left ankle, the same one he rolled at San Francisco on Feb. 1, in practice earlier in the week. It’s apparently a more severe sprain than the original. It was puffy on the inside and outside of his ankle. He sat out Friday’s walk-through.

Thanks for taking the time to transcribe the radio show, gamagin!

ZagNative
02-10-2014, 02:57 PM
you are welcome.

I think I heard it will be repeated at 5 p.m. if you are within reach, on 1510 am.I think you're right, Gam. It should be streamed live on KGA.com (http://www.1510kga.com/) at 5:00 pm Monday.

RenoZag
02-10-2014, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the transcript, Gam

Reborn
02-10-2014, 03:27 PM
Wow! Nice stuff to read. Thanks, Gamagin. I thought this was the best recap of an interview with Mark Few. I really like Few's description of what it was like to be on Game Day and to be able to play in a place like Memphis, Tennessee. You described it perfectly, Gamagin. And to know how close we came. It's so frustrating. But to realize how well Gonzaga played in a hostile environment like that is also inspirational, and I look forward to playing in other environments like that when we Play in Moraga and Provo. Both of our games with St. Mary's and BYI will definitely be in very hostile environments. Zags will be prepared. But first things first.

Go Zags!

gamagin
02-10-2014, 03:34 PM
+1

I know everyone doesn't read Meehan's articles at the Spokesman, but they should as they are full of interesting tidbits... especially his day after notes on the Sportslink Blog. This is what he posted yesterday about Kevin: Thanks for taking the time to transcribe the radio show, gamagin!

thanks, rad. You were ahead of the rest of the world on this.

best,

gamagin
02-10-2014, 03:37 PM
I asked Bart the question because on another thread he mentioned "don't care for the school" I was trying to get him explain why.

I guess I got confused and posted the question in the wrong thread. My mistake. I apologize for hijacking your thread.

ok no problem. all good. best,

gamagin
02-10-2014, 03:39 PM
+1

Thanks Gamagin, I always forget about the noon Monday show, although I did hear just a bit when I was out and about today. One of the things I recall and I don't think you mentioned was the fact Few thought there were only 6 or 8 teams top in the country that could go into Memphis, in that atmosphere and compete as did the Zags. I heard him mention a couple times, as you noted the Zags just needed that one play toward the end and that may have made the difference. Maybe Dowers bucket when the shot clock expired-my thought not Fews. Few did note Dower didn't miss many shots and even the shot clock violation shot went in!

nice infill, scoop. tnx

ZagNative
02-10-2014, 05:04 PM
The show is on KGA.com (http://player.tritondigital.com/3151) right now.

Oregonzagnut
02-10-2014, 05:27 PM
Wow, what a great show.

In looking back at those here who gave "critique" of the 2nd half, I conclude the masses aren't always wrong or irrational.

The fans here watch a lot of Gonzaga games and I have faith that the vast majority want the best for Gonzaga in every way. We here at GUBoards have probably an all too emotionally vested interest but we have watched more games than any other Gonzaga online fan base bar none. Hearing Few acknowledge that Coleman and Barham could have made the difference is a big step in evidence that Few is still actively engaging his own learning curve. The fact it gibes with some of the opinions here at GUBoards should be noticed.

How many thought during the 2nd half "Why is Coleman not playing?" DC was about the only guy other than Dower and Karno who was consistent, and it was clear we needed his length and slashing ability in the end when Memphis was owning our starting guards.

I have faith that those things he learns, he will apply in March and in the several big road games we have coming up.

Zagceo
02-10-2014, 05:30 PM
Wow, what a great show.

In looking back at those here who gave "critique" of the 2nd half, I conclude the masses aren't always wrong or irrational.

The fans here watch a lot of Gonzaga games and I have faith that the vast majority want the best for Gonzaga in every way. We here at GUBoards have probably an all too emotionally vested interest but we have watched more games than any other Gonzaga online fan base bar none. Hearing Few acknowledge that Coleman and Barham could have made the difference is a big step in evidence that Few is still actively engaging his own learning curve. The fact it gibes with some of the opinions here at GUBoards should be noticed.

How many thought during the 2nd half "Why is Coleman not playing?" DC was about the only guy other than Dower and Karno who was consistent, and it was clear we needed his length and slashing ability in the end when Memphis was owning our starting guards.

I have faith that those things he learns, he will apply in March and in the several big road games we have coming up.

I agree 100%.

Think you meant GC instead of DC. :)

HenneZag
02-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Kind of off on a tandem here. But I watched the Mark Few Show last night and what really bothers me is his lack of responsibility. I would be pissed if I was a coach, up by 12 late in the second half and we lose. The game before we were up by 23 and yet again in the 2nd half we found ourself down by 3 at one point to Portland. We see this consistently happening and this is a concern. Few stated that not too many teams can come into an enviornment like the one in Memphis and win, maybe so, but its that type of mentality that kills us. We need to believe we can win, go into these places and finish games. I want to see toughness and grit. There is no points for almost, or a well we played in a tough enviornment etc, we lost and thats what people see at the end of the day. It's nice to win conference championships and WCC tournaments but what we need is a March run and to show the committee we can win against ranked teams on the road. Im sick of hearing about how GU can't win on the big stage. As a die hard passionate fan it sucks. I know we have more, im just hoping it surfaces soon.

thespywhozaggedme
02-10-2014, 07:16 PM
I was happy to hear that.........for Marcus sake (who I really really like as a player)

Not me, I think he's far and away the most over rated player in college hoops. MS doesn't do anything well and I have no clue why he's rated so high.

DixieZag
02-10-2014, 07:49 PM
Kind of off on a tandem here. But I watched the Mark Few Show last night and what really bothers me is his lack of responsibility. I would be pissed if I was a coach, up by 12 late in the second half and we lose. The game before we were up by 23 and yet again in the 2nd half we found ourself down by 3 at one point to Portland. We see this consistently happening and this is a concern. Few stated that not too many teams can come into an enviornment like the one in Memphis and win, maybe so, but its that type of mentality that kills us. We need to believe we can win, go into these places and finish games. I want to see toughness and grit. There is no points for almost, or a well we played in a tough enviornment etc, we lost and thats what people see at the end of the day. It's nice to win conference championships and WCC tournaments but what we need is a March run and to show the committee we can win against ranked teams on the road. Im sick of hearing about how GU can't win on the big stage. As a die hard passionate fan it sucks. I know we have more, im just hoping it surfaces soon.

Finally. Finally some one said it. I am a little frustrated by the fact that after every single loss I can write Few's comments - - "Well, we played well and were right there, just a couple of bounces either way. There's some things that need improvement but I'm pretty happy with the way we executed. Credit ________, that is a tough team and they. . .

Just once I want to hear - "This is a tough one and there's a lot of anger - appropriately, in that room and it starts at the top and on the way down, so many mistakes and I include myself in that. ______________ did a great job of dealing with . . . but we simply can't be letting this happen and we need to get back to practice and have an honest look at ourselves b/c that's unacceptable.

I'm not saying call out a kid by name - never do that.
I'm not saying one doesn't credit the other team, the winner always deserves credit.
And I'm not saying I don't like Few, or we would be better off by doing, . . ., I think we're lucky to have him, and I want him to stay as long as he wants.

But I do think that all of us need to look for ways to do things better and there's nothing wrong with saying "I blew it." I'm pretty sure he does some of that behind closed doors, but sometimes a little extra kick in the rump by saying out of the room is good too.

gamagin
02-10-2014, 09:32 PM
Henne/Dixie

Finally. Finally some one said it. I am a little frustrated by the fact that after every single loss I can write Few's comments - - "Well, we played well and were right there, just a couple of bounces either way. There's some things that need improvement but I'm pretty happy with the way we executed. Credit ________, that is a tough team and they. . .

Just once I want to hear - "This is a tough one and there's a lot of anger - appropriately, in that room and it starts at the top and on the way down, so many mistakes and I include myself in that. ______________ did a great job of dealing with . . . but we simply can't be letting this happen and we need to get back to practice and have an honest look at ourselves b/c that's unacceptable.

I'm not saying call out a kid by name - never do that.
I'm not saying one doesn't credit the other team, the winner always deserves credit.
And I'm not saying I don't like Few, or we would be better off by doing, . . ., I think we're lucky to have him, and I want him to stay as long as he wants.

But I do think that all of us need to look for ways to do things better and there's nothing wrong with saying "I blew it." I'm pretty sure he does some of that behind closed doors, but sometimes a little extra kick in the rump by saying out of the room is good too.

I thought Few, who used to be notorously close mouthed, pretty much said everything he could without naming names. He has been saying for a fairly long that time that the shooters need to hunt and shoot. The game plan was to attack underneath and it worked.

But without continuing both, we lost the game. MF said he needed "a guy" to step up and shoot. We had the opportunities. Some were bypassed and some were missed. I don't see what there is to apologize about.

10 of the top 100 athletes in the nation gathered together at Memphis and managed to barely beat a group of no names. Had the no names forgotten about everything and paid more attention for a just a few more minutes, gotten a couple more rebounds, you wouldn't be be searching your souls for some greater meaning.

MF set the table very well. The idea that someone who didn't get in coulda/woulda/shoulda done things differently is open to speculation. But the Zags who were in their had their opportunities. Plenty of them. But they didn't get it done this time.

Lesson learned. Move on.

It's what sports are all about. It's that simple and that complex.

cggonzaga
02-10-2014, 09:33 PM
ok no problem. all good. best,

Don't worry gam, you're still the number 1 a$$hole around here.

Zags11
02-10-2014, 10:35 PM
Lol

sullyzag66
02-11-2014, 12:12 AM
The #breakingnews here is that Few texts.

Sent from my iPhone

2wiceright
02-11-2014, 12:35 AM
Henne/Dixie

I thought Few, who used to be notorously close mouthed, pretty much said everything he could without naming names. He has been saying for a fairly long that time that the shooters need to hunt and shoot. The game plan was to attack underneath and it worked.

But without continuing both, we lost the game. MF said he needed "a guy" to step up and shoot. We had the opportunities. Some were bypassed and some were missed. I don't see what there is to apologize about.

10 of the top 100 athletes in the nation gathered together at Memphis and managed to barely beat a group of no names. Had the no names forgotten about everything and paid more attention for a just a few more minutes, gotten a couple more rebounds, you wouldn't be be searching your souls for some greater meaning.

MF set the table very well. The idea that someone who didn't get in coulda/woulda/shoulda done things differently is open to speculation. But the Zags who were in their had their opportunities. Plenty of them. But they didn't get it done this time.

Lesson learned. Move on.

Thanks for this summary gamagin... Us fans need to realize getting to watch and be a part (as a fan) of a perennial ranked team makes us very spoiled. We were forced into 'rebuilding mode' when Kelley left, we didn't land a banger inside, and of course the significant injuries to our future (hopfully) All-American backcourt, as well as continuous illness all season like I haven't seen the likes of here ...EVER. Maybe our guys haven't matched the level some always hope for, but I'm darn proud of being on the edge of walking away with another league title and possibly some big surprises in March. Remember, be proud of our players in good and bad times. They are students, learning as they go and at the start of their lives. They don't need to be beaten into submission (or be assured by our coach that they deserve it after a tough loss). I'm sure he is tougher than anyone knows - but what goes on in the closed practices and locker room will never be shared with us (nor should it be).
-I'm just thankful to be a Zag and a Zag Fan!!! (Thanks again gamagin for your summary!!).

Oregonzagnut
02-11-2014, 01:51 AM
Henne/Dixie

Lesson learned. Move on.

Since you seem to rant at anyone you don't like or disagree with, I'm sure you can handle a rant yourself. The things in bold I do not agree with.

1. How long has few actually used the words "Hunt and Shoot". If a "fairly long time" is 3 weeks then we differ on the meaning of "fairly long time". but how can any coach expect the taught, coached and engrained conservative philosophy to change all of sudden. Coleman "hunts and shoots" yet he sat in the 2nd half. We see it as both a curse and a blessing but in Memphis IT WAS A BLESSING! Habits die hard. Few is just has human as the rest of us and he trains certain habits into his team. Individual game time creativity isn't a big one of them I suspect.

2. "managed to beat a bunch of no names"......really? Pangos, Karnowski, Bell, Stockton? ........ Mark FEW! No names? Wow. No comment there. None needed.

3. "coulda/woulda/shoulda done things differently is open to speculation." ? In the same post, you said Few is "notoriously" closed mouthed, and I agree, yet he seems to clearly imply he coulda done something different in HINDSIGHT. IMO, Mark Few is still on an UP-TRENDING learning curve. And also IMO, with a law of diminishing returns, small miscalculations can have more drastic losses than gains. He knows this and that is why I BELIEVE he is so conservative. But I also believe there has to be a point in time where he is willing to gamble with his 80% win rate and tweak his overall philosophy to add on to Gonzaga's success in the big dance as well has his own legacy in coaching. This must happen to become a complete coach, and it is something that I believe Few works towards but at the same time takes the slow solid route. I'm pretty patient, but Few is more patient.

4. "That simple and that complex." Nice oxymoron. Somehow it makes it all sound so simple and yet...so complex. So simple and so complex is like saying "getting rich is easy, just buy low and sell high!" Genius. But the process and learning with the amount of time and risk and hard work is very complex to consistently buy low and sell high enough to get rich. It ends up just being a cop out.

5. "searching your souls for some greater meaning." If Gonzaga basketball has no greater meaning for you, or you cannot fathom how others have some greater meaning, then I am sorry. Some have grown up around Gonzaga, or place the success and achievements of Mark Few and Gonzaga as part of their own history, or even hoping above all hopes that destiny is to shine on all of us with a National Championship. However unlikely that is, I believe it can be achieved. who are you to imply there is no greater meaning to be had for ANYONE to search our souls for. For me a lot of this is my hope and proof that running a program in the right way and the honest way, like Gonzaga has and MArk Few has, ends up with the intended results. I also hope it can inspire and show a blueprint to building a better basketball team. AND the greater meaning for me in this journey is that success, faith and hard work translates NOT JUST to basketball, but to all of life. But also, if Butler can get that close, I see no reason Gonzaga can't. And if that happens it will absolutely NOT be due to a crapshoot like too many repeat just to make themselves feel better, but because Few kept the faith and kept learning. And so Gonzaga keeps winning and getting better recruits and those recruits keep the faith and keep learning and together they evolve to be a team AND A PROGRAM that has continued success at the highest level for a longer time. I really do see Gonzaga having a decades of tournament success in the future and if that is a crapshoot, then the only way to get to this particular crapshoot is many years of hard work. But it is not a crapshoot! How many mid majors have entered the Dance and how many have got a FF? Is it proportionate? Not even. It is disproportionately NOT mid majors. The dice are loaded in favor of the bigger richer power schools. If you hadn't noticed.

Wait just a minute. Did I hear you right?....No-names??? REALLY???

But to put it simply to you, it is kinda fun to armchair coach, but if that isn't your thing then you are not alone at GUBoards. But I do not think I am alone either. Different strokes...right? My suggestion is you learn to deal with the increase in popularity of Gonzaga and this board and also get used to the linear increase in amount of opinions you will hear.

No names? Can you at least admit that you are in error with THAT statement? Its really bugging me.

6. "Lesson Learned". Who? Who learned the lesson? Us soul searching wretches here on GUBoards? The players? Mark Few? I will delete this post and apologize for taking offense with you if Mark Few gets to the final four based on the detailed and clear "Lesson Learned" from this Memphis game. Also if Few gets to a FF this year I will eat crow and say gamagin is the Zen Master Fan who teaches "Less is more, Simplicity is complex and to buy low and sell high". But if we don't get to at least a Swt 16, you have to permanently stop insulting and degrading everyone who comes together here for the fun and debate of it (including newbies and veterans alike) regardless of how rational or irrational people can get right after losses.

My word. Why you think GUBoards and the MBB exists at all? What do you expect?

No names? Soul searching? Lesson learned? We clearly see things differently.

northsidezagfan
02-11-2014, 04:49 AM
Since you seem to rant at anyone you don't like or disagree with, I'm sure you can handle a rant yourself. The things in bold I do not agree with.

1. How long has few actually used the words "Hunt and Shoot". If a "fairly long time" is 3 weeks then we differ on the meaning of "fairly long time". but how can any coach expect the taught, coached and engrained conservative philosophy to change all of sudden. Coleman "hunts and shoots" yet he sat in the 2nd half. We see it as both a curse and a blessing but in Memphis IT WAS A BLESSING! Habits die hard. Few is just has human as the rest of us and he trains certain habits into his team. Individual game time creativity isn't a big one of them I suspect.

2. "managed to beat a bunch of no names"......really? Pangos, Karnowski, Bell, Stockton? ........ Mark FEW! No names? Wow. No comment there. None needed.

3. "coulda/woulda/shoulda done things differently is open to speculation." ? In the same post, you said Few is "notoriously" closed mouthed, and I agree, yet he seems to clearly imply he coulda done something different in HINDSIGHT. IMO, Mark Few is still on an UP-TRENDING learning curve. And also IMO, with a law of diminishing returns, small miscalculations can have more drastic losses than gains. He knows this and that is why I BELIEVE he is so conservative. But I also believe there has to be a point in time where he is willing to gamble with his 80% win rate and tweak his overall philosophy to add on to Gonzaga's success in the big dance as well has his own legacy in coaching. This must happen to become a complete coach, and it is something that I believe Few works towards but at the same time takes the slow solid route. I'm pretty patient, but Few is more patient.

4. "That simple and that complex." Nice oxymoron. Somehow it makes it all sound so simple and yet...so complex. So simple and so complex is like saying "getting rich is easy, just buy low and sell high!" Genius. But the process and learning with the amount of time and risk and hard work is very complex to consistently buy low and sell high enough to get rich. It ends up just being a cop out.

5. "searching your souls for some greater meaning." If Gonzaga basketball has no greater meaning for you, or you cannot fathom how others have some greater meaning, then I am sorry. Some have grown up around Gonzaga, or place the success and achievements of Mark Few and Gonzaga as part of their own history, or even hoping above all hopes that destiny is to shine on all of us with a National Championship. However unlikely that is, I believe it can be achieved. who are you to imply there is no greater meaning to be had for ANYONE to search our souls for. For me a lot of this is my hope and proof that running a program in the right way and the honest way, like Gonzaga has and MArk Few has, ends up with the intended results. I also hope it can inspire and show a blueprint to building a better basketball team. AND the greater meaning for me in this journey is that success, faith and hard work translates NOT JUST to basketball, but to all of life. But also, if Butler can get that close, I see no reason Gonzaga can't. And if that happens it will absolutely NOT be due to a crapshoot like too many repeat just to make themselves feel better, but because Few kept the faith and kept learning. And so Gonzaga keeps winning and getting better recruits and those recruits keep the faith and keep learning and together they evolve to be a team AND A PROGRAM that has continued success at the highest level for a longer time. I really do see Gonzaga having a decades of tournament success in the future and if that is a crapshoot, then the only way to get to this particular crapshoot is many years of hard work. But it is not a crapshoot! How many mid majors have entered the Dance and how many have got a FF? Is it proportionate? Not even. It is disproportionately NOT mid majors. The dice are loaded in favor of the bigger richer power schools. If you hadn't noticed.

Wait just a minute. Did I hear you right?....No-names??? REALLY???

But to put it simply to you, it is kinda fun to armchair coach, but if that isn't your thing then you are not alone at GUBoards. But I do not think I am alone either. Different strokes...right? My suggestion is you learn to deal with the increase in popularity of Gonzaga and this board and also get used to the linear increase in amount of opinions you will hear.

No names? Can you at least admit that you are in error with THAT statement? Its really bugging me.

6. "Lesson Learned". Who? Who learned the lesson? Us soul searching wretches here on GUBoards? The players? Mark Few? I will delete this post and apologize for taking offense with you if Mark Few gets to the final four based on the detailed and clear "Lesson Learned" from this Memphis game. Also if Few gets to a FF this year I will eat crow and say gamagin is the Zen Master Fan who teaches "Less is more, Simplicity is complex and to buy low and sell high". But if we don't get to at least a Swt 16, you have to permanently stop insulting and degrading everyone who comes together here for the fun and debate of it (including newbies and veterans alike) regardless of how rational or irrational people can get right after losses.

+10000. Well said.

Reborn
02-11-2014, 07:10 AM

(including newbies and veterans alike) regardless of how rational or irrational people can get right after losses.

Wow!!! I think you just topped me for having the longest rant of all-time. And you wrote this at 2:00 am. This must have been eating at you a long time. Well, it came out perfectly. One thing that I really liked about what you said is pointing out that in the interview, Few called his players, "a bunch of no names." Gonzaga's reputation was built on the idea that a bunch of "no names" could come together and beat a team stacked with top 100 players. However, as you point out, there are some guys who now play for Gonzaga who are top 100 players. And as Gonzaga becomes more able to recruit top recruits that "myth" of a team of "a bunch of no name players" should pass away because it's simply not true any longer.

And yet, I am one who likes that myth and it's one reason a team like Gonzaga is loved by so many basketball fans around the world. So I do hope that Gonzaga will always be a place for someone like Adam Morrison, JP Bautista, Roney Turiof, Blake Stepp, Mike Hart, Kelly Olynyk, Elias Harris, David Stockton, Kyle Dranginis, and so many more. The leader of this group of no name player is of course Mark Few who was unknown in the coaching world when he came to Gonzaga. However, that is no longer true. He is now well known just as his little Jesuit school in Spokane (an unknown city) is now very well known around the world. The idea of the unknown (the past) has evolved into a great basketball program that is well known. Gonzaga can now attract more basketball players who are in that top 100 list, and as the success of Gonzaga continues to grow Few will attract even more players from that list and hopefully even McDonald's All-Americans like Kyle Wiltjer.

In my opinion Mark Few is driven by the idea to succeed. Otherwise Gonzaga would not be where it is in the world of basketball. He has his own style and I think that we, as fans, must accept that. Some of us, like myself, may wear our feelings on our sleeves, and like coaches who also do that. I once accused Mark Few of not being passionate about basketball, and I learned that that was a huge mistake on my part. As I have listened to others who do know Mark, I have learned that he is very passionate, and that that passion burns brightly inside. He just manages it in a way that I don't. And I agree with Gamagin, that how Mark Few really feels about things is kept inside his locker room. And I'm okay with that. He is not obligated to tell the media, nor the general public, what he tells his players.

I do believe that Mark Few has a burning passion to be the best, and that he is driven by this passion. I don't believe that he is the type of person, or coach, who settles for anything less than the best. And yet, he is not driven by anger. And I think that that is good. I see no flaw in his personality because he doesn't get mad in public. Or if he is, he controls it. To say he doesn't get mad would also be very closed minded. He does. I'm sure of it, but he doesn't want to show it in public. I'm okay with that. In the beginning Mark Few had a dream, and he helped develop a plan to reach that dream. That dream is still growing and burning brightly, and imo Few is driven to make it come true.

When I want to criticize Few for what I once called his lack of passion I try to always remember that the greatest coach of all time, John Wooden, was even more stoic then Mark Few. I also try to remember how long it took John Wooden to reach the dream that he had too. So you might be right about Mark Few, Oregonzagnut when you say that Mark Few is more patient then you, and probably me. lol...Peace, brother.

Go Zags!!!

SWZag
02-11-2014, 07:16 AM
The #breakingnews here is that Few texts.

Sent from my iPhone

I thought the same thing! If he's been texting back and forth with Marcus Smart when I'm sure Smart is getting overloaded with attention, who knows who else he's in close contact with. Shows how little we do know into the workings of this team. It's far more involved with players and recruits (most who I'm sure don't even get named in this board or the media) than we even know.

SWZag

ZagMania
02-11-2014, 07:40 AM
Reborn, I don't think Few called his players no names, that was a poster.

I am going to quote JPtheBeasta's post in another thread, which I thought was spot on but pretty much ignored by everyone.

As for Coleman, he turned the ball over, jumped a passing lane and missed (allowing an easy bucket), made a reach in the lane that resulted in two free throws, took an ill-advised 3 pointer (and missed), and forced an awkward shot (and missed). I am a Coleman fan, but for as awesome he was in the first half, he was as bad in the 2nd.

I thought Few coached a great first half. Attacking the paint and getting Goodwin in foul trouble and exposing their lack of frontcourt depth was pretty spectacular I thought. Memphis is a team that leads the nation in scoring in the paint and we completely turned that around on them in the first half. Memphis adjusted to pack the paint and those looks weren't there late, our highly touted guards and/or Few didn't make the adjustment. Some shots just didn't fall, some got passed up, but there should've been a better focus to switch away from trying the high-low set when Memphis was gunning to take it away. Perhaps at that point DB could've got his looks, but until that point I think keep Barham on the bench and upping Dower's (37!) and Coleman's minutes was the right call.

In retrospect, I think it would've been interesting to see the Zags just isolate Dower towards the last 5 minutes of that game. Few did this with Kelly a few times to close out games last year when the offense tightened towards the end of games, but I understand why it is so hard to go away from running the offensive sets that make you one of the most efficient scoring teams in the country. However, when a defense like Memphis ramps up and is dialed in on stopping what they've seen run the previous 35 minutes perhaps going to a simpler set is more likely to generate a foul or bucket than passing around waiting for the perfect shot then panicking at the end of the shot clock. I think Dower has proven himself enough to have that chance, and we've seen glimpses of him putting it on the floor well this year as well so I think he could be fairly productive in that role.

GoZags
02-11-2014, 07:46 AM
I thought the same thing! If he's been texting back and forth with Marcus Smart when I'm sure Smart is getting overloaded with attention, who knows who else he's in close contact with. Shows how little we do know into the workings of this team. It's far more involved with players and recruits (most who I'm sure don't even get named in this board or the media) than we even know.

SWZag

The Board first learned of Fewie's texting prowess 25 months ago .... again, in unsolicited support of a guy who was a little down at the time.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?38127-Few-Texts-Support-to-Kyle-Stanley

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Kyle Stanley has never met Mark Few, who coaches the Gonzaga men's basketball team.

But Stanley, who grew up in Gig Harbor, Wash., says he has been a Bulldogs fan since he was 3 feet tall. Even now, after he went to college at Clemson, "I live and die with every game they play," he admitted. "I try not to miss any of them."

That's why the text he received from Few on Sunday night mean so much. The words were simple: "He just told me to keep my head up and that I played tough, and that down the road I'm going to be stronger for it," Stanley recalled.

Few's sentiment was indicative of the outpouring of support Stanley has received since he squandered a three-stroke advantage on the 72nd hole and lost the Farmers Insurance Open in a playoff with Brandt Snedeker.

And then Kyle Stanley went on to win his next tournament .... the following week in Phoenix..... followed closely (and encouraged) by a group of Zags that included KOzag08 from this board.

gamagin
02-11-2014, 09:29 AM
OZN: nice vent & rant. to your boldface point: "Success, faith and hard work." No argument there. all ok w/me
Is there a question in there I missed ?

OZN/Reborn: I called us no names, FYI. Not few. My reference was to the GU recruits vs. the MEM top 100 recruits. Vs all the big name schools & programs we have challenged and even beaten over the years. I thot it was clear. Ozn says our guys are big names. Perhaps. My point remains they didn't start out that way. The GU brand found them, groomed them, taught them and THEN some became household names. Because Mark Few et al works here. And because a large number of benefactors, sj's etc etc etc decided to build this program out of nothing, with nobodies from nowhere.

Our Zags get respect by representing GU on the big stages. They did that at MEM. The GUB whining and coaching comes mostly from our no name fans who don't or won't get that because they want more. You want more you do more. Booing and speculating and being wrong is nothing but guessing and disrespectful.

So if you really want to play with the big boy world, Pull out your checkbooks OZN et al, and start paying for whatever it takes to replace those big name schools with our own. Your not going to beat it out of MF in the comfort of your La-Z Boys in the middle of the night with half a$$ed coaching and only half the information needed to actually intelligently even say what's going on inside this program. Try as you may.

Do this, then have your kids and their kids keep going & giving, for the next 50 years or so, until GU is the biggest or best place anywhere in the states to play basketball. And even then we only MIGHT become the first vs a second or third tier attraction to the best of the best athletes in the world.

or you can realize that the miracle of Boone Ave. is healthy, wealthy enough and very wise. It is run by a guy we are lucky to have and will be very lucky if we can keep. And instead of calling the plays and guessing what is wrong and being wrong most of the time, we get back to encouraging our zags to keep on challenging the best and start and stay believers and then prove we belong in those top tier games and will always be a threat. Every.single.Game.

IF & Until we become that team that used to edge us out in earlier days, but no more. Not on our watch.

if we insist on grinding this program down to it's basic elements, it's this, IMO: put up or shut up.

As fans, we have the easiest and best situation. we can discuss the game & our part in it & cheer em on.

Or we can keep booing and coaching. The boo birds & coaches need to realize they are at a distinct disadvantage. That is you seldom, if ever, have the facts to deal with. Just yesterday we learned it is KP's ankle that has been a problem. This after 2 days of handwringing discussion about his toe. Just one minor snafu. Arguably. There are hundreds. Thousands.

So beware the backlash that accompanies made up analysis. With the emergence of our stats gurus, I think the discourse has already improved dramatically. I hope the direction is for more and better analysis vs more and poorer speculation.

That will be and always has been up to us.

northsidezagfan
02-11-2014, 09:56 AM
jumped a passing lane and missed (allowing an easy bucket), made a reach in the lane that resulted in two free throws

Isn't this just the "riverboat gambling" that is applauded when other players do it? GC leads the team in steals/minute. Gotta take some risks, sometimes it doesn't pay off.

Awkward shots are part of his game, he makes a ton of them. Yes, GC missed a 3 when the shot clock was running down and had a turnover, but he wasn't that bad in the second half. And nobody else in the backcourt was much better. I know this quote is from another thread, but this one is already all over the place anyways.

abarefootboy
02-11-2014, 11:49 AM
Gratitude gamagin

DarkZagRises
02-11-2014, 12:14 PM
The Board first learned of Fewie's texting prowess 25 months ago .... again, in unsolicited support of a guy who was a little down at the time.

It goes back even further than this. :) Calipari said the first person to text him after Memphis lost the title to Kansas in '08 was Few. Here's a piece on it from the Spokesman - http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2009/feb/07/calipari-and-memphis-have-insight-zags-can/

Love that Few's there for Smart during an obviously difficult time. Can't say I feel the same for Cal though...

gamagin
02-11-2014, 05:00 PM
--- Attn streamers: If you can find this on the internet, please post the site for everyone. good stuff. thanks ---

Spokane (Spokesman-Review) sports writer Jim Meehan was on Inside the Locker room (radio program on 1510am, Spokane) while I was driving this afternoon. The interview took place about 4:20-4:35 pm or so.

He had some interesting chat about the game in Memphis, but I had to pay attention to the road. He repeated essentially what Few said: that KP's toe appears to be healing and his ankle is better, too. Meehan said KP first rolled his ankle vs W. Va. and then did it again two more times, usually coming down on a teammates foot. The turf toe, Meehan, was also stepped on at one point in a game.

He said KP has been very frustrated by the limitations and is now feeling much better with the news he is going back into the gym and polish his shooting.

He was asked and went on with some interesting stuff about the atmosphere in Memphis. He likened some of the MEM 18,000 fans as rabid and the noise deafening at times in the Fed Ex arena. He said a ref had to stop the action momentarily once or twice to tell the fans in the front row to stop interefering or trying to interfere with the inbounds passing.

He said they would reach out and try to disrupt the Zag inbounding. Meehan noted these were the expensive, front row seats, full of allegedly civil and wealthy fans (my words: acting like bleacher bums).

there was much more chat about KP and whether he should be playing or people should be questioning his playiing etc that I think most would enjoy hearing if a streamer can find it. I hesitate to paraphrase because I'm not positive what I heard. Not positive enough to summarize as I was in and out of traffic and lost the train of thought a few times.

Reborn
02-11-2014, 07:47 PM
I'm glad it was not Mark Few who used the term, "no names." I just believe it's an outdated concept for current Zag players. Although as I said it's still nice to have some "no name" players on the team.

Oregonzagnut
02-11-2014, 08:54 PM
I never said Mark Few said "no names". Gamagin did. What gamagin misread in my post is that I use the name Mark Few included in his team of no names.

However I can see why he wanted to think that or that it could be misconstrued. Mark Few did not say "no names" that I know of. Gamagin did and he says he did.

I should have used a "?" instead of a ! at the end of ".........Mark Few!"

If you go back and read how I really meant it, you will see I NEVER implied Mark few said that, In fact there are no quotes and if you read it as including Mark Few on gam's team of no names, then it makes sense, and clarifies why I felt his statement is so blatantly wrong. Gam probably didn't include Few on his team of no names, but he didn't exclude him either.

funny how 1 punctuation mark made so much difference. 2:00 am thing I guess.

Reborn
02-11-2014, 10:24 PM
funny how 1 punctuation mark made so much difference. 2:00 am thing I guess.

Yes! One mistake and you're riding the bench. You must be in gamagins dog house. As far as I'm concerned you'e doing great. Keep speaking your mind.