PDA

View Full Version : Devaughn Purcell, 6'4 JUCO SG/SF

exclusivelee
02-10-2014, 11:24 AM
Brad Winton ‏@JucoRecruiting
Gonzaga is the latest school to get involved with DeVaughn Purcell of Eastern Oklahoma St.
https://twitter.com/JucoRecruiting/status/432930234489270272

Stats (2013/14): http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2013-14/div1/players/devaughnpurcellzzff?view=gamelog

GP
PTS/G
FG %
3PT %
FT %
REB/G
A/G

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He3vuZetijM

Would be a Junior next year... so who are we overrecruiting?

Angelo Roncalli
02-10-2014, 11:58 AM
These highlight videos are like bikinis. What they reveal is interesting. What they fail to reveal is vital.

WBM
02-10-2014, 12:18 PM
These highlight videos are like bikinis. What they reveal is interesting. What they fail to reveal is vital.

I'd clap but my office-mate would probably wonder why. This is fantastic.

hooter73
02-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Not a knock on him but were looking at another athletic wing transfer with limited eligibility that would be amazing in the open court and wouldn't be able to grasp the system until hes already in the dog house. I feel like Ive seen this before.

cjm720
02-10-2014, 01:26 PM
3 of 4 posts with negativity...the new norm...not to say there isn't some validity, it's just the manner, the approach of disdain that's troublesome.

zagapotomus
02-10-2014, 01:31 PM
3 of 4 posts with negativity...

I viewed angelo's post as an observation of all highlight reels in general, not a knock on this young man in general.

BobZag
02-10-2014, 02:37 PM
Two years of eligibility? Or ?

Good to see the staff casting a wide net in high school and juco.

WBM
02-10-2014, 02:41 PM
3 of 4 posts with negativity...the new norm...not to say there isn't some validity, it's just the manner, the approach of disdain that's troublesome.

Mine was the Switzerland of replies. I just liked the analogy. Please don't take it as negative towards the young man!

gonwick
02-10-2014, 04:11 PM
I'm confused. Aren't all the roster spots taken and then some? I thought bob zag alluded to not only sabonis, but also another euro.

BobZag
02-10-2014, 04:18 PM
Staff is merely looking at these guys. Not buying...yet. Window Shopping, for lack of a better description.

HenneZag
02-10-2014, 05:21 PM
Guy Landry Edi comes to mind.

This guy does have bounce, but I wanna see how he moves without the ball, his defense and passing abilities.

What is appealing though is his 3 point % at 43.3, thats pretty solid.

Angelo Roncalli
02-10-2014, 08:28 PM

I didn't intend to disparage the kid or be negative about him.

I viewed angelo's post as an observation of all highlight reels in general, not a knock on this young man in general.

Exactly. I'm done with attempting to ascertain how good a potential recruit is by watching highlight video, especially highlight video from AAU games. AAU game video may give you some idea about athleticism, but it won't give you any meaningful information about basketball IQ, feel for the game, coachablility, or any of the "team" aspects of basketball. I'd much rather watch a videotape of a recruit playing in a high school game.

Hoopaholic
02-11-2014, 05:18 AM
I didn't intend to disparage the kid or be negative about him.

Exactly. I'm done with attempting to ascertain how good a potential recruit is by watching highlight video, especially highlight video from AAU games. AAU game video may give you some idea about athleticism, but it won't give you any meaningful information about basketball IQ, feel for the game, coachablility, or any of the "team" aspects of basketball. I'd much rather watch a videotape of a recruit playing in a high school game.

Having assisted many kids with putting together highlight reels you are spot on Angelo...they are designed to catch your attention but in no way shape or form can provide you meaningful information about the young mans fundamentals, iQ of the game, composure, intelligence, swagger, work ethics.....

zagfan24
02-11-2014, 06:13 AM
Interesting link re: Angelo's point - related to the recruit mentioned in another thread. I think this article points out that these mix tapes can put unfair pressure and expectations on kids just trying to get better.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/10/thon-maker-high-school-mixtapes-and-the-unrealistic-expectations-some-are-placing-on-high-school-players/