• Nov 2013

2013 NCAA Bubble Watch

CBS has us on the bubble.

Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.
  • Mr Vulture
    Zag for Life
    • May 2008

Jerry Palm is an idiot...he had us as a 3/4 seed last year until a week before the tourney when he bumped us to the lowest 2 seed. He hates the WCC and Gonzaga. We are not on the bubble unless we lost 2-3 more games in league this year. Even then, I don't see any way we don't make the tournament. This team is a 7-10 seed IMO.

Comment

• MTZag03
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2012

Agreed Mr Vulture. What are the odds of us winning 3 straight WCC tourney games given our injuries and total lack of offense recently? We could hit the bubble if we don't at least make the tourney championship.

Comment

• raise the zag
        Zag for Life
        • May 2011

Originally posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
        For whatever reason, several CBS analysts were stating the Zags would "likely have to win WCC tourney to make the Tournament". Via Twitter.

How in the world is a team with a Top-25 RPI this late in the season, 'on the bubble'? Zags are 22 RPI.

In addition, the WCC is ranked as the 10th best conference this season in terms of RPI, usually we are 13th or 14th best conference.

Do they even pay attention?

One CBS guy actually said, "without a single signature win & losing to Memphis, Zags have no at-large chance and will require an auto-bid".

Get real.

Comment

• VaBeachZAG
          Bleeds GU Blue
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
          At this stage of the season, the one and only thing I desperately do not wish to see is a break in our string of consecutive tourney appearances. I don't care how we get in, I just want to get in. Well, okay, I would prefer getting in by winning out the season.
          But if we can't win out (odds are probably against that), I just want to get in, via conf. championship, conf. tourney championship, or last four in....whatever it takes!

Comment

• gonzagafan62
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by VaBeachZAG View Post
            At this stage of the season, the one and only thing I desperately do not wish to see is a break in our string of consecutive tourney appearances. I don't care how we get in, I just want to get in. Well, okay, I would prefer getting in by winning out the season.
            But if we can't win out (odds are probably against that), I just want to get in, via conf. championship, conf. tourney championship, or last four in....whatever it takes!
            +1 and getting back to what Mr. Vulture stated earlier, Southern Miss a couple years ago had a similar RPI in the 20s and didn't beat a quality opponent, and Larry Eustachy's team made the tournament as a 9 seed. Didn't win the tournament either. We just competed with Memphis on all levels. Its not like we got destroyed.
            Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• Zag_Dad
              Zag for Life
              • Dec 2013

How is a team ranked in the top 25 for most of the season, and currently 27th, considered a "bubble team?" I would hate to test the theory, but my belief is that we can lose a conference game on the road (BYU or Saint Marys) and still get an at large bid so long as we make it to the conference championship title game.

Hopefully we take care of business in Vegas and don't have to wait anxiously on selection Sunday as the brackets are announced. Let's keep this streak alive!

Comment

• caduceus
                Zag for Life
                • Mar 2007

Bah, Palm's had us on the bubble for a while now on his bracketology page. I laughed when I saw it.

RPI is 21.
                First place in WCC.
                28th on KenPom.
                Probably 24-6 at the very worst before the tourney.
                Very few cupcakes in our OOC schedule.

No way we're on the bubble.

Comment

• gomemphistigers1
                  Bulldog Fan
                  • Feb 2007

Gonzaga still has big games: @BYU, @St Mary's, WCC Tourney...that's where Gonzaga's seed will be determined.

Notice I said "seed"...Gonzaga is already in...no bubble involved.
                  www.memphistigers.org

Comment

• CDC84
                    Super Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Once again, analysts making far too much of a deal out of a team that lacks "quality wins."

The 2004 team got a number two seed despite having just one top 50 RPI win. That team also played in a WCC that's weaker than this year's WCC.

Quality wins only become a major factor when it comes to seeding (say, if you want a high seed) or if you have a bunch of bad losses.

I would be concerned if Gonzaga falls to pieces during the final four game road trip. But the same could be said about a lot of teams. Really, no one is breathing easy right now except teams like Syracuse.

I also continue to believe that the Sam Dower and Gary Bell injuries that played a part in the losses at Kansas State and Portland won't be totally ignored.

Comment

• MTZag03
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2012

The sad reality is that if Gonzaga could get past the first weekend of the tourny, there wouldn't be talking heads putting a 21-4 team with the number 22 rpi on the bubble. Terrible/lazy sports writers will always do this.

Comment

• Reborn
                        Zag for Life
                        • Oct 2007

Jay Bilas said we are in. Does that help you believe?

Gonzaga is a very good team and worthy of it's 22nd rank on the RPI. Gonzaga is ranked 27th in AP poll and 24th in coaches poll. Gonzaga has played 3 teams who play very very well at home: Memphis, Kansas St. and West Virginia. These were not home games. Anyone who knows anything about seeding in the NCAA tournament knows that playing good teams on the road and winning or doing very well, counts more then home court victories. West Virginia just beat Oklahoma and Kansas St at home. Kansas St has beaten West Virginia, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St and Texas at home. How can people who profess they know something about basketball say that Gonzaga has no meaningful victories.

However, I am not worried at all. Gonzaga almost always takes care of it's own business and does not depend on the opinions of others. They will win the conference title because to them it's something that DOES MATTER. IMO they will also win their conference tournament. Are there good teams in the WCC to be concerned about? There sure are. I think the WCC is really good this year and Gonzaga must give full focus to each and every team they play. One game at a time. Could other teams win the Conference Tournament? Yes, but not as likely to do that as Gonzaga is. I don't know about you, but I think Gonzaga is hands down the best team in the WCC and in the next month we get to see it all played out. I look forward to each and every step of the way.

Go Zags!!!
                        Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• willandi
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2007

I believe that the NCAA usually also considers injuries etc., when deciding on who is in and where. We have lost 4 games and have had Dower out for the KS loss, Bell out for the Portland loss and KP dealing with turf toe and now a sprained ankle. In my opinion, I don't see how the Zags would not be in unless they fall completely apart the last 6 games. If we win 4 of the 6, we are the outright regular season champs, and get the number 1 seed into the WCC tourney!
                          Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• gonstu
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

I would like to think zags are safely in too.

What I think will happen is: win both home games, split the 4 road games. In that scenario we are outright WCC champs @ 25-6 and, I think, a lock regardless of WCC tournament. I am thinking 8/9 seed.

win more than just the sweep on the road and the wcc tourney & I think our ceiling is a 6 seed right now, which I would take in a heart beat.

Comment

• Reborn
                              Zag for Life
                              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by gonstu View Post
                              I would like to think zags are safely in too.

What I think will happen is: win both home games, split the 4 road games. In that scenario we are outright WCC champs @ 25-6 and, I think, a lock regardless of WCC tournament. I am thinking 8/9 seed.

win more than just the sweep on the road and the wcc tourney & I think our ceiling is a 6 seed right now, which I would take in a heart beat.
                              I wonder if a #6 seed would get us into the Spokane pod?
                              Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X