PDA

View Full Version : Road trip after action report

TexasZagFan
02-10-2014, 04:33 AM
It's a good thing I waited until I got home, slept on it, and read Abe's comments on another thread. Underlying theme from both trips (Wichita and Memphis): reality intervenes. Our guard play has regressed due to injuries, while PK & Sam have made great strides. Sam played a great game in Memphis: his 18 & 8 was very efficient. He's not afraid to get dirty down in the paint, and he's freeing up the paint for PK. Once Shem starts hitting his free throws (his last two were nothing but net), other teams won't be able to foul him at will.

The 3 guard lineup killed us: you can't get outrebounded by 15 outside of the WCC, particularly on their home court. Bell, Pangos, and Stockton had 12 points...combined. There were several other Zag fans sitting near me, and we were very frustrated with Pangos and Bell passing up numerous open shots. Not to belabor the point, but where was the Gary Bell that nailed the dagger in Stillwater? I'm not going to tell Coach Few how to do his job, but if KP and GB are not going to take their shots, they shouldn't be on the court.

When their bigs had 4 fouls, why didn't we keep pounding it inside? Probably because Shem was hurt? Could Angel have helped, i.e. put him in the 3 and leave two guards on the court?

It took me 5 minutes to get over K State. Memphis...I'm not over it yet, mainly because reality has intervened. I'm not sure we make it to the Dance without winning the WCC tournament. WCC will get the auto qualifier, and that's it. This Zag team is gritty and never quits, but without Pangos and Bell playing their usual style, our chances of making any run are fading.

Other observations from Memphis:

1. We got homered, and the Memphis fans knew it. They got every call in the last 10 minutes. Still, if we hit more than 46% at the line, it doesn't matter.

2. I erred in my restaurant selection after the game (Hooters). 8 out of the 10 waitresses I saw were size 12's trying to fit into a size 5. The other two were knockouts. Call me an old fuddy duddy, but expressing one's self through multiple crappy tattoos just...doesn't...cut...it. Those 8 would never get hired at Hooters or Twin Peaks in the Metroplex.

3. If you're planning a trip to Memphis, I recommend the Double Tree. Great location, excellent hotel.

4. Avoid I-40 in Eastern Arkansas at all costs, at least until they complete the construction project around Forrest City. It was a parking lot for over an hour on Saturday afternoon. Use Hwy 70 as an alternate route from Wheatley to Pakin.

5. The trip to Sun Studio can't be put to words, other than to say it was awesome. Take the tour, it's well worth the $12. To stand in the place where Elvis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, and Jerry Lee Lewis got their starts (and that's just a partial list), it was akin to standing on hallowed ground.

gu03alum
02-10-2014, 04:52 AM
You didn't get ribs after the game Tex?!!!

teCh0010
02-10-2014, 05:13 AM
Memphis fan here. Hope you had fun other than the outcome of the game. I was at the westin with your team, and was impressed with the number of Gonzaga fans I saw at the hotel and game.

If you come back to town please stop by one of our boards like memphistigers.org, we can set you up with a list of dining options. That hooters isn't a very good one.

I feel you on i40, my parents are in Hot Springs so that construction is killing us taking the grandkids over to visit.

Edit: On the rebounding - I felt like you guys were giving up offensive boards to keep us out of transition. Inflated our rebound numbers but let you set you defense.

wnczagfan
02-10-2014, 06:26 AM
Memphis fan here. .... On the rebounding - I felt like you guys were giving up offensive boards to keep us out of transition. Inflated our rebound numbers but let you set you defense.

I was just making a similar observation on another thread here! Glad it wasn't just my imagination. haha.

vandalzag
02-10-2014, 07:10 AM
It's a good thing I waited until I got home, slept on it, and read Abe's comments on another thread. Underlying theme from both trips (Wichita and Memphis): reality intervenes. Our guard play has regressed due to injuries, while PK & Sam have made great strides. Sam played a great game in Memphis: his 18 & 8 was very efficient. He's not afraid to get dirty down in the paint, and he's freeing up the paint for PK. Once Shem starts hitting his free throws (his last two were nothing but net), other teams won't be able to foul him at will.

The 3 guard lineup killed us: you can't get outrebounded by 15 outside of the WCC, particularly on their home court. Bell, Pangos, and Stockton had 12 points...combined. There were several other Zag fans sitting near me, and we were very frustrated with Pangos and Bell passing up numerous open shots. Not to belabor the point, but where was the Gary Bell that nailed the dagger in Stillwater? I'm not going to tell Coach Few how to do his job, but if KP and GB are not going to take their shots, they shouldn't be on the court.

When their bigs had 4 fouls, why didn't we keep pounding it inside? Probably because Shem was hurt? Could Angel have helped, i.e. put him in the 3 and leave two guards on the court?

It took me 5 minutes to get over K State. Memphis...I'm not over it yet, mainly because reality has intervened. I'm not sure we make it to the Dance without winning the WCC tournament. WCC will get the auto qualifier, and that's it. This Zag team is gritty and never quits, but without Pangos and Bell playing their usual style, our chances of making any run are fading.

Other observations from Memphis:

1. We got homered, and the Memphis fans knew it. They got every call in the last 10 minutes. Still, if we hit more than 46% at the line, it doesn't matter.

2. I erred in my restaurant selection after the game (Hooters). 8 out of the 10 waitresses I saw were size 12's trying to fit into a size 5. The other two were knockouts. Call me an old fuddy duddy, but expressing one's self through multiple crappy tattoos just...doesn't...cut...it. Those 8 would never get hired at Hooters or Twin Peaks in the Metroplex.

3. If you're planning a trip to Memphis, I recommend the Double Tree. Great location, excellent hotel.

4. Avoid I-40 in Eastern Arkansas at all costs, at least until they complete the construction project around Forrest City. It was a parking lot for over an hour on Saturday afternoon. Use Hwy 70 as an alternate route from Wheatley to Pakin.

5. The trip to Sun Studio can't be put to words, other than to say it was awesome. Take the tour, it's well worth the $12. To stand in the place where Elvis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, and Jerry Lee Lewis got their starts (and that's just a partial list), it was akin to standing on hallowed ground.

You travel to Memphis and eat at Hooters? Was the line at Denny's too long?

gamagin
02-10-2014, 07:24 AM
+1

The finely tuned palate of a stray dog on the streets of Mumbai . . .

TexasZagFan
02-10-2014, 10:47 AM

:lmao:

To tell you the truth, I didn't feel much like eating after the game. I was determined to add as little as possible to the Memphis economy. I didn't bump into too many classy Tiger fans.

ETA: There's not much out there in Memphis for those with Type II, there's more fried food there than anyplace I've been, to include the State Fair of Texas. The city is a freakin' dream for doctors who treat diabetes. Metformin must be doled out by the ton there.

TexasZagFan
02-10-2014, 10:51 AM
+1

The finely tuned palate of a stray dog on the streets of Mumbai . . .

Speaking from experience, gam?