PDA

View Full Version : expectations of carrying a team.....

23zagmd
02-09-2014, 04:17 PM
I keep reading posts about how we are only going as far as KP takes us! Blaaaahhhhhh. If that is the expectation then we had better start the discussions about next years playing time...

First, at 100% KP is going to be the focus of EVERY team we play in March and no one is going to let him get off and carry us, Period! Unfortunately, he's probably about 50% and we all saw last night what happens when elite level defenders who are bigger, quicker, and stronger do to our offense and him in particular. He could NOT get a shot off, more importantly they were taking away his passing and initiation of our offense to the point that Sam Dower became our point forward with the offense and all the high low feeds that were providing the easy baskets we were getting.

If you ask me, the person that we are going to live and die with is Gary Bell. I can never fault that kids defense or his heart, however, where is his head right now? Is it me or has he all but disappeared since the little Bell arrived. He is a complete non-factor on offense. I can't even remember him taking a GOOD shot in the second half last night. Additionally, his ability to get to the basket was neutralized by the bigger, faster, stronger phenomenon!

I could go on for days about this topic but the reality of it is that we are a guard oriented team that is playing very well defensively, but our offense is putrid right now and we are not shooting the ball well as a group. We have a night every now and then when someone gets going from deep, but as a whole our guards are not playing well offensively and making shots consistently when we need scoring.

This is going to be difficult to change with a very tough stretch coming up and a team that needs to get Pangos healthy (not going to happen til the offseason) from that injury.

I am not optimistic for March at this point....

just my two cents.

Oregonzagnut
02-09-2014, 04:35 PM
I agree, but Kevin has had cold nights and we have still won. I am optimistic in March. Again the one who can figure out how to fix this is Mark Few and he needs to be able to analyze the problems with each player and have a way to fix the problem for each player. Also he has to figure out how to matchup with those "athletic teams".

Zags11
02-09-2014, 04:48 PM
Sw16 imo.

adoptedzag
02-09-2014, 04:57 PM
I agree, but Kevin has had cold nights and we have still won. I am optimistic in March. Again the one who can figure out how to fix this is Mark Few and he needs to be able to analyze the problems with each player and have a way to fix the problem for each player. Also he has to figure out how to matchup with those "athletic teams".

What qualifies as "optimistic in march"? I would call this season a success if we make it to the round of 32 in the tournament. For a rebuilding Zags team, I think that is a reasonable goal. Of course I would love a national championship team, but this team is a far cry from that.

Oregonzagnut
02-09-2014, 04:59 PM
What qualifies as "optimistic in march"? I would call this season a success if we make it to the round of 32 in the tournament. For a rebuilding Zags team, I think that is a reasonable goal. Of course I would love a national championship team, but this team is a far cry from that.

I am always optimistic that we can get at least a Swt 16. We have had teams that should have gone at least that far.