PDA

View Full Version : The Sky is NOT falling

Reborn
02-09-2014, 10:18 AM
The game is over, and the Zags will absorb the loss in stride and learn from it. It's far better to get this loss out of the way now, and start over and get a win on Thursday. We just finished our longest win streak of the season. Let's start a new one and make it memorable.

The nice thing about understanding the "one game at a time" concept is understanding that the game is over and it's time to move on. You don't dwell in the past whether you win or lose. WE had a very good game last night, and played a really good non conference foe and lost by a few points. No shame in that, imo.

The Zags can now return to doing what is most important right now, and that is winning the conference. That's the goal right now. I am a person who tends to try to look at the positives of the team and focus on those. And yet, I believe I see and understand the shortcomings of this team, and I have confidence Mark Few and his staff will try to address those. This is where playing a real good team like Memphis near the end of the season can really help the Zags. For one thing I see a team who has not lost at home this year. I think that's awesome, and there are not very many teams who can say that. The other really good thing is that we have only lost one game in conference play, and not too many teams can say that. Can we win the rest of our games and pull out four tough games on the road to end conference play? I will continue to believe in the positive, because that's who I am, and I believe the Zags are good enough to do it.

Go Zags!!!

jazzdelmar
02-09-2014, 10:29 AM
'born, it's not? then what was that chunk i heard land last night round 815?

ezcure17
02-09-2014, 10:35 AM
+ 1. Good post Reborn. You are right, game is over, let's learn from it. Better it happen this way now, instead of in March, which would have been a heartbreaker. We all KNOW we should have won this game, if anything, it shows the team that as bad as we rebounded, shot selection, etc....we can and WILL win in the tournament. Maybe it will p*ss them all off and they will use that motiviation for the rest of the year. Memphis got a lot of those offensive rebounds due tho their horrible shots to begin with, not normal misses. I don't like seeing us playing harlem globetrotter, pass it back and forth at the top of the key and beyond when we are in offense. We can't get open looks for 3 that way at all, if we are not setting good screens. I WOULD like to see us drive to the basket, THEN kick it out to an open shooter on the sides, that's where we will get open looks.

wnczagfan
02-09-2014, 10:43 AM
The game is over, and the Zags will absorb the loss in stride and learn from it. It's far better to get this loss out of the way now, and start over and get a win on Thursday. We just finished our longest win streak of the season. Let's start a new one and make it memorable.

The nice thing about understanding the "one game at a time" concept is understanding that the game is over and it's time to move on. You don't dwell in the past whether you win or lose. WE had a very good game last night, and played a really good non conference foe and lost by a few points. No shame in that, imo.

The Zags can now return to doing what is most important right now, and that is winning the conference. That's the goal right now. I am a person who tends to try to look at the positives of the team and focus on those. And yet, I believe I see and understand the shortcomings of this team, and I have confidence Mark Few and his staff will try to address those. This is where playing a real good team like Memphis near the end of the season can really help the Zags. For one thing I see a team who has not lost at home this year. I think that's awesome, and there are not very many teams who can say that. The other really good thing is that we have only lost one game in conference play, and not too many teams can say that. Can we win the rest of our games and pull out four tough games on the road to end conference play? I will continue to believe in the positive, because that's who I am, and I believe the Zags are good enough to do it.

Go Zags!!!

I certainly agree with the sentiment. I just feel like an NCAA at large bid would have been practically a lock if we had pulled this one off, and for most of the game we played well enough to win it. I may be wrong, but now I am concerned we may need to win the WCC tournament to go to the NCAA tournament, which considering the struggles we have had with certain teams this season, does not seem like a foregone conclusion. But I will never count the Zags out; they have already exceeded my personal preseason expectations for this year.

DixieZag
02-09-2014, 10:51 AM
It depends upon what a person's definition of "sky falling" is -- a 4/5 seed is gone, I think that is safe to say.

Our auto birth is still up in the air, that might have been all but locked up had we won.

There is lots of room for improvement and a run from here out would be very impressive (and almost unthinkable).

I think it is very much in our heads about winning big games with a lead, that's a huge psych issue that with each blown lead gets worse, everyone in the program needs to address it ASAP - if it's not obvious to them then there's a problem.

No, the sky is not falling, but it's not sunny, either.

Hokis
02-09-2014, 11:00 AM
Yes, the Zags can now continue to go back to playing cupcakes, likely lose to 1 or 2 of them, and sneak into the tourney and lose in the first round when they finally face another half way decent team bc they are an 8 or 9 seed bc they couldn't handle business against decent opponents

Memphis is not even a Sweet 16 team and they honestly do not have a better roster than us, but somehow they looked like a top defensive team in the country against us bc coaching and scouting won them that game.

Josh f'n Pastner out coached Mark Few.

Josh Pastner, he's not even one of the best 25 coaches in the country. Great recruiter, terrible coach.

Reborn
02-09-2014, 12:50 PM
:lmao::lmao: Good one, Jazz. You're supposed to say, "Gotch a." hahahahaha I think Pangos would agree with you.

On another note, but kind of related. The Zags were sill in the top 25 in RPI on CBS and on ESPN. They were 27 on ESPN bpi. And the Zags were ahead of Memphis in both as well. CBS however, has the Zags at 25 in their new 25 +1 Poll and Memphis at 19. That's about what I expected GU to be ranked if they had won. That's pretty much the way I saw it too. GU wins by 7 on our home court, and if we meet them in the NCAA tournament on a neutral court it's going to be another great game, probably a triple overtimer.

Go Zags!!!

Pastner4Prez
02-09-2014, 01:51 PM
Yes, the Zags can now continue to go back to playing cupcakes, likely lose to 1 or 2 of them, and sneak into the tourney and lose in the first round when they finally face another half way decent team bc they are an 8 or 9 seed bc they couldn't handle business against decent opponents

Memphis is not even a Sweet 16 team and they honestly do not have a better roster than us, but somehow they looked like a top defensive team in the country against us bc coaching and scouting won them that game.

Josh f'n Pastner out coached Mark Few.

Josh Pastner, he's not even one of the best 25 coaches in the country. Great recruiter, terrible coach.

I will never understand this reputation people create of Josh Pastner. You don't go and beat OK State back when they were 100% or beat the defending champs in their gym or shoot 35% last night and win. Yep signs of a terrible coach. I am happy we have him.

MississppiZag
02-09-2014, 02:39 PM
Pastner missed the tournament once and is 1-3 in the NCAA's. Lost 10 games 2x playing in a similar league as Gonzaga. He's 3-14 against the top 25, started 0-12, I believe. He's finished the season unranked 3 out of 4 years. He's had teams with a preseason ranking of 9, 16, 19, and NR. All 4 years his teams have been ranked lower than the preseason.

That's his reputation. He just hasn't done anything with the talent he's had. People have been calling for him to be fired various times, throughout his tenure. A lot of fans think he has very little control over his team. He seems to have righted the ship this year. What's going to happen when he loses Crawford, Jackson, Dixon, Johnson, and Pellom, though?

ZagaZags
02-09-2014, 03:21 PM
'born, it's not? then what was that chunk i heard land last night round 815?

Intestinal gas?
:)

Pastner4Prez
02-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Pastner missed the tournament once and is 1-3 in the NCAA's. Lost 10 games 2x playing in a similar league as Gonzaga. He's 3-14 against the top 25, started 0-12, I believe. He's finished the season unranked 3 out of 4 years. He's had teams with a preseason ranking of 9, 16, 19, and NR. All 4 years his teams have been ranked lower than the preseason.

That's his reputation. He just hasn't done anything with the talent he's had. People have been calling for him to be fired various times, throughout his tenure. A lot of fans think he has very little control over his team. He seems to have righted the ship this year. What's going to happen when he loses Crawford, Jackson, Dixon, Johnson, and Pellom, though?

I guess that is why he got the #3 class last year. We will be ok next year because he has something to build on. It takes a while to change the culture at a program. Cal's magic run was nice but Pastner is filling in nicely. Nobody's is firing him but the delusional minority of fans that are blinded by the 4 year run.

Zag 77
02-09-2014, 05:59 PM
El Voce (the late Dick Schomburg) had a way of looking at things and putting them in perspective when we fans were too high or too low. I can't come close. I would just say that we need to keep some perspective. This team does not have the sheer physical talent that last year's team did. You don't just plug warm bodies in to replace 2 NBA players. This team has some real abilities, but only when everybody is healthy. There is not that much room for error. This was never going to be a team that got a 4 or 5 seed in the NCAA Tournament; to say otherwise is being overly optimistic. Why do you think Few scheduled the OOC with fewer powerhouses this year? He likely knew that this team was going to have to get over a learning curve. Just think about it: Dower is our only experienced big man and Karnowski has played less than 45 games of D-I basketball; play he did not play our kind of HS or AAU ball growing up. He is literally still learning. Edwards is really not ready. Dranginis and Barham have had to play out of their natural positions, although they are smart kids who have done well. Our expected strongest players Pangos (a pre-season Cousy and Wooden candidate) and Bell have been hurt. Nunez has athleticsm but little playing time for a couple of years. Coleman has some flash and dash, but is not very multi-dimensional.

It is a real disservice to Coach Few and the staff to accuse them of some basic incompetence. It totally ignores a great record over the years and a program that has taken a near-bankrupt University 16 years ago and has put it on the map.

In spite of last night we are 21-4, lead our conference by 2 games and really ought to be in good shape to make the NCAA unless we suffer some injuries or flunk a bunch of players out of school.

We lost to a very good team on the road by 6, and most objective observers would say that Memphis' home court was probably good for at least 6 points if not better. Play that game at the Kennel or a neutral court and I think we likely come out ahead.

It is time for this team to dust itself off and get back to the business at hand, and put this game in the rearview mirror.

titopoet
02-10-2014, 04:09 AM

Go Zags!!!

Again, most that saw the game thought the Zags were the better team that lost on the road in an emotional game. The reasons for the lost were simply execution, attention to detail and letting emotion get the better of them. Unlike the Zags fans here, every coach in America saw a team they don't wan to see in March, powerful skilled bigs, great guard play. If GU boxed out they would have won. Guess what? Next games everyone boxes out.

bartruff1
02-10-2014, 05:01 AM
The sky is falling in Oregon...at Butler....at North Carolina..... and at several other locations around the country.

wnczagfan
02-10-2014, 07:23 AM
Didn't see this one posted anywhere....

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-basketball/2014/02/09/gonzaga-sends-statement-by-playing-memphis-late-in-season/

p.s. try to ignore the "Worst draft picks of all time" link at the bottom. lol

Reborn
02-10-2014, 07:38 AM
The sky is falling in Oregon...at Butler....at North Carolina..... and at several other locations around the country.

How about at Oklahoma St...Illinois and Baylor? I'm even thinking it might be falling at Ohio St.

Zag4Hire
02-10-2014, 07:42 AM
I would disagree the 'sky is falling', at least for myself. Going into, I thought the Zags would lose and I hadn't seen many Memphis games this season so I wasn't completely aware of their style. The frustrating part is Memphis was one 3 ball away in the 1st half from finishing in the teens and I haven't seen the Zags struggle this season to hit a 3 ball that bad. Some good things observed were Sammy playing his a** off and Coleman being used very effectively. That's about the end of the list. A coach can always be criticized in hindsight but I will avoid any of that. Didn't care for a lot of the calls but Memphis played to how the refs were calling it (getting to the hoop sometimes rather wrecklessly to draw contact).

At the end of the day the sky is not falling because this was pretty much anticipated how this season would unfold. How do you follow last year's awesome season performance and the super sour ending? What are you expecting this season? A WCC crown, a WCC tourney championship, a FF appearance? Don't get me wrong, I watch every game with enthusiasm and feel much better when the Zags win than when they lose (family around me will attest). However the lack of an athletic wing SF, the string of injuries, and the paper numbers (RPI, SOS, etc.), I would be happy for a repeat showing of getting into the tourney as a 7 through 10 seed, beat the lowly Big 6 team, and then get run by the #1 or #2 seed at this point.

LongIslandZagFan
02-10-2014, 08:12 AM
Oh, it's falling.

Virginia Zags Fan
02-10-2014, 09:14 AM
A couple of thoughts. I did not think GU would win in Memphis. But GU was certainly the better team for 35 minutes. I was very pleased how well they played overall except for giving up 20 O-Rebounds and going cold those last minutes. As alluded to above, this team is not as good or healthy as last year's team. I was disappointed they lost. I felt bad for the kids. They wanted to win. I feel especially bad for Kevin Pangos. If you have ever had a toe injury and tried to play sports, it is excruciating. It changes everything you do, physically and mentally. KP is one tough guy to even be out there playing. He is the type of guy that has the mental and physical toughness to climb Mt. Everest some day. It takes both - And some cash.

I thought Mark Few had some amazing plays coming out of called and media timeouts. The defense pretty well shut down a very athletic, high scoring Memphis team. If this team had hit just one field goal with more than a minute to go, they would have won IMHO. They had shots, they just didn't fall. That is what makes basketball so exciting. I want this team to win every game, but I know it is not going to happen. It just won't. My brother's wife is a Michigan St alum and huge fan. They lost AT HOME to Michigan. A huge sin. Should they fire Tom Izzo cause his guys missed some shots? Did those guys intend to miss those shots? These are college kids we are talking about. Fortunately, we have 15 guys (and girls too) that we can be proud of. They play hard on the court and are great citizens off the court. They study hard and finish school. Isn't that originally what college sports are all about?

The sky is not falling at all. If the GU boys losing to ranked Memphis in Memphis is the worst thing that has happened to you this winter, then you are doing very, very well my friends. I see them playing hard for the rest of the season. Do I hope they win out and win it all? Absolutely!! Will they? Odds are highly against it. But I am going to revel in every win, pout for a bit when they lose, and move on to what is really important in life and keep things in perspective.

Oh, and with some lucky matchups come March, who knows what might be possible.

bartruff1
02-10-2014, 09:18 AM
There are fans that feel sorry for the team/coaches after a loss and those that feel sorry for themselves...and that has made all the difference.

SWZag
02-10-2014, 09:24 AM
How about at Oklahoma St...Illinois and Baylor? I'm even thinking it might be falling at Ohio St.

Indiana...Notre Dame...or Washington for that matter.

There are fans that feel sorry for the team/coaches after a loss and those that feel sorry for themselves...and that has made all the difference.
I think you are spot on, and it's easy to guess which is which.

SWZag

SlammaJamma
02-11-2014, 04:25 PM
This is my first post here. I live in Memphis and graduated from UofM. I started keeping up with Gonzaga bball when Drew Barham transferred there. I will say I have been impressed with Coach Few and the players. Fundamental basketball, motivation, mentoring I think has been the key for the success of the Gonzaga program. I went to the game Saturday to see Gonzaga vs UofM. Guess what....I had on a Gonzaga sweat shirt that I ordered online.

I "was" a life long UofM fan until about the second year of Pastner's time as coach here. There is a very tight knit bball community here. Everybody knows everybody. The word was out after the second year Pastner was here that he had zero respect from his players. They would be late for practice, infighting, and basically had an "all about me" mentality.

So I look back at all the talent we have had and where Pastner has taken it. Granted Pastner has a great W/L record......but we were in the C-USA conference.....with the recruiting classes he has had I would hope to make it to the playoffs each year....which he has...well except the first year....NIT 2nd round and beat. Lets look at the rest:

--2009/10 NIT made it to second round
--2010/11 NCAA (round of 64)
--2011/12 NCAA (round of 64)
--2012/13 NCAA (round of 32) Michigan State spanked us

Again remember with the recruiting classes he has had it's an automatic to win the C-USA thus an automatic playoff in. When we play "a team" we struggle. Granted we finally beat our first ranked team since Pastner has been here just this season.

Pastner I hear is a very nice person. I think he does a lot for the community. He unfortunately is out of his element at this level of play. He would be better suited at a small D1 or a D2 school. The recruits and team members are typically inter-city kids that need someone they can respect and that can motivate them to play the game as a team. Pastner simply can't do that without being more hard nosed and holding them accountable for their actions....which he hasn't.

All this said notice I still refer to the team as "we" even though I wore a Gonzaga sweat shirt to the game Saturday and rooted for your Zags. The Tigers did play good D in the second half and I think that made the difference. Coach Few and the entire Gonzaga team showed class even after the obvious Flagrant 2 that got the Tiger player ejected.....another example of no control by the coach.

My prediction is "if" the Tigers make the playoffs we won't make it past the first round. We are in a different conference now that has "teams" in it.....so we'll see how the rest of the season goes. In the meantime I will continue to follow Gonzaga because I enjoy watching good coaching and kids that love the game and play as a team.......love it. I don't have that here......just hope we get another coach soon. Nothing against Pastner as a person.....like anything else....gotta call it like I see it....he needs to go.

Thanks folks

Zagceo
02-11-2014, 04:30 PM
Welcome and thanks for posting.

Hokis
02-12-2014, 03:29 PM
I guess that is why he got the #3 class last year. We will be ok next year because he has something to build on. It takes a while to change the culture at a program. Cal's magic run was nice but Pastner is filling in nicely. Nobody's is firing him but the delusional minority of fans that are blinded by the 4 year run.

That's the thing, he's always had a great recruiting class.. And never done crap with it.

Look at your roster right now for crying out loud. He should be taking teams to the Sweet 16 every year with that talent.

bartruff1
02-12-2014, 03:45 PM
Few gets top 50 recruiting classes and top 30 results....Josh gets top ten recruiting classes and top 30 results... I hope the series continues.