PDA

View Full Version : Words to consider.....

Section 116
02-08-2014, 08:26 PM
from a tweet by Elle Tinkle: Elle Tinkle ‏@elltink31 33m
If you're a fan, remain a fan even thru the ups and downs. The extra coaching tips and criticism are unnecessary and quite honestly idiotic.

webspinnre
02-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Heh. Good for her.

ZaggyStardust
02-08-2014, 09:14 PM
@RemFifteen: Can’t handle all the negative “Zags” every time we take an L… always negative when we fail but claim to be a fan when we’re successful.

And some more....

zagdad
02-08-2014, 09:59 PM
Is that what a fan would tell her in person? If that's not the case, then maybe one shouldn't hide behind social media.

Elle is a gem.

Not every Zag fan is fickle. There are true Zag fans who appreciate the team win or lose. This years team doesn't have a huge dominating star. It does have several hard working, very competitive basketball players who try their best. We are 21 and 4. That is a great record and many teams would like to have that record. I am so proud of our Zags this year. Thanks for all your hard work. Love you Zags!!!

Zagdad's wife

webspinnre
02-08-2014, 10:18 PM
Is that what a fan would tell her in person? If that's not the case, then maybe one shouldn't hide behind social media.

Exactly. One of the worst things about social media is the ability to just say anything at all behind a veil of anonymity.

ZagaZags
02-08-2014, 10:37 PM
Even the WSU fans are saying the Zags were Cougin it tonight.

Ouch!

It happens, no big deal.

Ezag
02-08-2014, 11:16 PM
We're pretty tame compared to many boards....check out Duke's after a loss

sylean
02-08-2014, 11:20 PM
@RemFifteen: Can’t handle all the negative “Zags” every time we take an L… always negative when we fail but claim to be a fan when we’re successful.

And some more....

you know we zag womens bb fans approach the game a lot different.....it would be hard to criticize the ladies because we can see they give their heart and soul out there.....we don't criticize the coach (much). If you need a break from zag men's BB, try taking in a women's game.....you won't be disappointed....btw....Elle Tinkle is a hellavu player...

ZagaZags
02-08-2014, 11:27 PM
Tinkle is awesome.

Oregonzagnut
02-09-2014, 12:16 AM
There are some bad apples on any board or in any group of people. But the vast majority are somewhere in between idiotic irrational and idiotic rational.

basketball is emotional and important in many ways. True fans sty through thick and thin but they voice every high and low. Some people ignore the good stuff and label the poster as a negative nancy or fair weather fan. To read peoples emotions and angst, right after a game, is being a glutton for punishment.

And that I am.

ldszagfan
02-09-2014, 03:49 AM
There are some bad apples on any board or in any group of people. But the vast majority are somewhere in between idiotic irrational and idiotic rational.

basketball is emotional and important in many ways. True fans sty through thick and thin but they voice every high and low. Some people ignore the good stuff and label the poster as a negative nancy or fair weather fan. To read peoples emotions and angst, right after a game, is being a glutton for punishment.

Well said. It's unfortunate, but most people are completely polarized on either side of the "overtly excited - extremely upset / sad" spectrum after a win or a loss. Judging people by their reactions after a win/loss is poor judgement and not completely indicative on what kind of person or fan they really are. Just look at the reaction from the Richard Sherman interview right after the Seahawks' win against the 49er's. Everybody thought he was such a tool until media showed who he really is.

Our fans love Gonzaga Basketball. We're all sad after the loss to Memphis. Most of our (and other team's) "level-headed" fans don't post on social media right after a loss... heck, in fact most of them don't post on the message boards at all!

Shout out to all of the other Zag fans who read these boards and don't post as frequently like myself.

I love our boys. Here's to our Zags :cheers:

GrizZAG
02-09-2014, 05:00 AM
Truth is, we kicked hell out them for most of that game. A game many were just hoping was not a blow out. Many were unsure if we could play with the likes of a Memphis. We showed and showed very well. I think if we are healthy, get a couple more from the stripe and a little better luck on the calls, we win this one going away. Remember, that was one fired up stadium and a tough venue to play in. Our men (and coach) are just top notch so if we get our cup of coffee this morning, think it over a bit you know we can play with anybody really. We do have a star and he is banged up and still is giving it his all. Billas pissed me off more than anything about that game (and the A**H*** that did the collar on Shem). A healthy Zag squad would have owned them.

Elle for Pesident

Now, let's go get her brother!

zag67
02-09-2014, 05:07 AM
Well stated Griz. A few shots drop and we are there in a very hostile environment.

bartruff1
02-09-2014, 05:11 AM
If you're a fan, remain a fan even thru the ups and downs. The extra coaching tips and criticism are unnecessary and quite honestly idiotic.

Elle, you nailed it...

WallaWallaZag
02-09-2014, 05:26 AM

true, but some fans need an outlet one way or another...better i blow up on the zag boards than go hit my kids because i'm so frustrated with the loss.

btw - i don't have kids...and if i did i wouldn't hit them even after a loss like this...but i might go kick my dog.

hondo
02-09-2014, 05:47 AM
Three cheers for Elle.

wnczagfan
02-09-2014, 06:04 AM
Not every Zag fan is fickle. There are true Zag fans who appreciate the team win or lose. This years team doesn't have a huge dominating star. It does have several hard working, very competitive basketball players who try their best. We are 21 and 4. That is a great record and many teams would like to have that record. I am so proud of our Zags this year. Thanks for all your hard work. Love you Zags!!!

Zagdad's wife

+1 Hard working, great group of guys!

Ezag
02-09-2014, 08:17 AM
Criticizing fans is not understanding the ups and downs of being a fan

caduceus
02-09-2014, 08:28 AM
Wow, did I get moderated out of this thread? For supporting Elle's tweet? Whom did I offend?

Starting to wonder whether I should bother posting.

wnczagfan
02-09-2014, 08:36 AM
Wow, did I get moderated out of this thread? For supporting Elle's tweet? Whom did I offend?

Yes, keep posting. I enjoy your posts, at least those we are allowed to see. Haha

Zaglaw
02-09-2014, 08:59 AM
Truth is, we kicked hell out them for most of that game. A game many were just hoping was not a blow out. Many were unsure if we could play with the likes of a Memphis. We showed and showed very well. I think if we are healthy, get a couple more from the stripe and a little better luck on the calls, we win this one going away.

This. Remember all the predictions that we would lose by 20?

bartruff1
02-09-2014, 09:11 AM
Yes, keep posting. I enjoy your posts, at least those we are allowed to see. Haha

Oh for crying out loud....please keep posting...or I will have to quit again and this time I mean it...I really do...cross my heart and hope to die....and so will Jazz...

gu03alum
02-09-2014, 09:15 AM

I lost a post yesterday too, though mine was much more offensive.

vandalzag
02-09-2014, 09:17 AM

If only the players played as hard and coaches played as hard as the fans rooted for their teams, then the Zags would never lose.
Very ironic that you say she does not understand the ups and downs of being a fan (yet I am sure she is a fan of teams) yet I am sure you have never played high level sports or coached at this level, thus knowing the ups and downs of being an athlete/coach, yet you feel free to criticize these players.

Vanzagger
02-09-2014, 10:05 AM
I love Kelly

bigblahla
02-09-2014, 10:46 AM

Would that be similar to the ups and downs of a petulant child?

Once I learned to not live vicariously through the success of our Zags it made the games more enjoyable to watch as the valleys aren't as deep but the peaks still rise up and are magnificent at times.

Just my opinion

Go!! Zags!!!

Ezag
02-09-2014, 10:46 AM
If only the players played as hard and coaches played as hard as the fans rooted for their teams, then the Zags would never lose.
Very ironic that you say she does not understand the ups and downs of being a fan (yet I am sure she is a fan of teams) yet I am sure you have never played high level sports or coached at this level, thus knowing the ups and downs of being an athlete/coach, yet you feel free to criticize these players.

I stand by what I said. Fans will always criticize players and coaches, that is way it is. Team wins, we rejoice. Team loses, we complain. Then we move on to the next game. Yeah, I ##### a lot after a loss, but that is mostly because of the competitiveness in me and because I am a poor loser.:argh: I get over it and move on. And to answer your question, I played soccer at Univ of Maryland. Not high level compared to college BBall today but pretty decent for the time.

DixieZag
02-09-2014, 10:58 AM
Oh for crying out loud....please keep posting...or I will have to quit again and this time I mean it...I really do...cross my heart and hope to die....and so will Jazz...

3rded -- or something.

I do have to respectfully disagree with her a little. I am "frustrated" with the loss. I can "see" things that I think are problems. I can "talk" about them. I can "learn" about them. And, I can do all that while still "loving" the team, through "ups and downs" and do so unconditionally. I am always somewhat perplexed by people that take game criticism of play as some sort of indication of much of anything.

Echo those that say this board is tame. This board is very very good about seeing big picture and keeping things respectful. As stated earlier about Duke's board. If one wants to see the sane universe devolve before their eyes, go to a University of Texas football board or pretty much any football board, actually. Admittedly, that's not the standard we should measure ourselves after, we're Zags after all, always.

Edit to Add: I think both Blaha and Ezags posts are both right, neither are mutually exclusive.

wnczagfan
02-09-2014, 11:07 AM
Echo those that say this board is tame. This board is very very good about seeing big picture and keeping things respectful. As stated earlier about Duke's board. If one wants to see the sane universe devolve before their eyes, go to a University of Texas football board or pretty much any football board, actually. Admittedly, that's not the standard we should measure ourselves after, we're Zags after all, always.

Last season at the Old Spice Classic, some of the West Virginia fans in the arena were heckling their own players during the game! Yelling "Get him out of there!" "He stinks!" LOL

gonwick
02-09-2014, 11:13 AM
3rded -- or something.

I do have to respectfully disagree with her a little. I am "frustrated" with the loss. I can "see" things that I think are problems. I can "talk" about them. I can "learn" about them. And, I can do all that while still "loving" the team, through "ups and downs" and do so unconditionally. I am always somewhat perplexed by people that take game criticism of play as some sort of indication of much of anything.

Edit to Add: I think both Blaha and Ezags posts are both right, neither are mutually exclusive.

Agreed.

If we are not allowed to question few because of his win pct, if we are not allowed to vent frustration with the team in instances where they make mistakes (assuming, of course, that it is done without name calling), then what discussion is there? Just because people are fans of a team doesn't mean they can't recognize the team's flaws. Not only is it unreasonable, it is unhealthy for the team. Like all people, I have problems. My true friends try to help me see my flaws and improve on them. Otherwise, I would just keep repeating the same bad habits over and over again. An echo chamber is a dangerous place for a coach and a team. Besides, it is not like few cares what other people say, particularly on the internet.

ZAGLAWQB
02-09-2014, 11:46 AM
Frame of Reference; Each of us has one, some with elements of commonality, and some with very different perspectives based on uncommon elements such as age, experience, family, athletic backgrounds, one's current perceptions, etc.
Expectations are different, and in the world of athletics there is always a level of included emotion. Fans by definition are interested. Players, teammates, schoolmates, and coaches have both, frames and expectations, peppered with levels of ego, some healthy and some not.
The internet has changed "15 seconds of fame" to "everyone has an opinion and an avenue to express it".
Hopefully, the Zag forums will always have a modicum of restraint, with the underlying hope that our players and coaches strive to be better, do in fact excel, and know that the true Zag fans want the experiences to be full of growth and enjoyable satisfaction.

Hoopaholic
02-09-2014, 12:02 PM
sun came up this morning
i got another lease on life this morning
I prayed for all things in my life at church this morning
I will continue to love my ZAGS

and yesterday is yesterday and Thursday cant come soon enough

DixieZag
02-09-2014, 12:15 PM
sun came up this morning

Nice job hoop, as usual.

That Thursday part? Can you put, "unless they lose"?:explode:

ZagaZags
02-09-2014, 12:18 PM
sun came up this morning

+1

Hoopaholic
02-09-2014, 12:23 PM
Nice job hoop, as usual.

That Thursday part? Can you put, "unless they lose"?:explode:

NO....I won tickets for Saturday game so I want us to be on a one game winning streak when I get to the kennel

Mantua
02-09-2014, 02:43 PM
I read a lot of constructive criticism on this board. There is always room for improvement, not that anyone connected to the team cares at all to pay heed to our advice. That being said, I have always told my children that some opinions are best expressed only in the kitchen, not in public. This applies to me when I'm trying to deal with the heartbreak and denial I feel after a loss, looking to blame anyone for my fan-foolish lack of perspective. I always think the Zags should win, disregarding any prevailing reality.

willandi
02-09-2014, 02:57 PM
When the going gets tough...give em Elle!

Club Prez
02-09-2014, 03:14 PM
That being said, I have always told my children that some opinions are best expressed only in the kitchen, not in public.

You sound like an awesome parent.

northsidezagfan
02-09-2014, 04:15 PM
I gotta say I do not completely agree. I don't think being a fan means never criticizing. I get much more frustrated by those here that insist there is no room for negativity. Yes, it gets over the top sometimes, but really it isn't that bad around here. Conversation killers like "yeah... well..... 80%!!!" or "if you know so much how come you aren't the coach??" or "I'm sure player X is better than you ever were" or any variation of those are much worse for the level of frustration on this board. It's how we always end up at the same tired arguments that get complained about. Recruiting, post game thoughts, starting lineups, free throw shooting, pretty much everything besides Woohoo's (awesome) dream threads and tacos end up in the same place because of this. If you do not like the negativity, do like I do (most of the time) and just read it and ignore it. Or do not read it at all. Or if you disagree with someone's negative thought and want to say why, think out an answer that doesn't rest on the notion that real fans do not criticize, and then reply with that. As long as posts don't get too personal, I think some of the best discussions actually stem from healthy criticism.

I played college football, and while I myself didn't play enough to get criticized (could have used another tenth or two off my 40!) our team had a fan board that did critique play of the team and individuals. Players just ignored it. From my personal experience, these boards are really not a big deal to anyone but those on the board and over-bearing family members. It's a fan board, fans are not required to like everything the team, coach, or a player does. And they are not prohibited from saying something about it. And saying something does not mean any of us assumes we would be a better player/coach than any of our players/coaches, nor does it make someone less of a fan. I dunno, just my opinion.

Zag 77
02-09-2014, 04:57 PM
Just remember that a fanatic is not logical, and is just short of insanity.:enraged:

Zags11
02-09-2014, 05:06 PM
Eh. We have our rights to complain, jeer or cheer. Its called frustration. I come here cuz wife will listen for 10min and be done. Its like saying your bad parent if you compkain that he snorted a jellybean.