PDA

View Full Version : What went wrong?

timgozags
02-08-2014, 07:37 PM
We gave up the big lead and end up losing the game by 6 points in the last 2 minutes. IMO, our point guards played badly tonight. Starting point guards (DS, KP, and GBJ) combined for 4-17 and only got 12 points. By the end of the game, Mark Fews seems to run out of play and KP just gave up. Our front end on the other hand had a great game.

Rbo
02-08-2014, 08:16 PM
Two players I thought could contribute big didn't show up. Nunez needs to hit the weight room and develop some toughness down low. Barham just wasn't a factor. I thought Few did a good job with his substituting/rotation, even though things
really fizzled at the end.

Hoopaholic
02-08-2014, 08:18 PM
Two players I thought could contribute big didn't show up. Nunez needs to hit the weight room and develop some toughness down low. Barham just wasn't a factor. I thought Few did a good job with his substituting/rotation, even though things
really fizzled at the end.

didnt show up? nunez got in for like 1 minute and Barham wasnt in much longer.....nunez got yanked immediately when he failed to rotate from weakside to ball side and the dude got a dunk.....staff must have sensed barham uptight or something because he didnt even get enough time to have to shower tonight

Ekrub
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?48778-Mark-Few-led-team-that-can-t-finish-a-game

ZagLawGrad
Honestly, when this team gets a lead, I automatically wonder how long it will take before they let the opponent right back in the game. Happens way too often.

DixieZag
02-08-2014, 08:20 PM
One factor - Sam was 1 second late on his shot. He makes that and - I think we're up 3 with 1 minute left? To be sure - we shouldn't need a shot at 1 second of the shot clock but it would be hard to overstate the importance of that not counting

If Sam gets that shot to count and Kevin hits that late three? We're talking about how gutty a win that was. Instead we're talking about firing Few for being the stupidest coach ever (some of us).

Hoopaholic
02-08-2014, 08:22 PM
One factor - Sam was 1 second late on his shot. He makes that and - I think we're up 3 with 1 minute left? To be sure - we shouldn't need a shot at 1 second of the shot clock but it would be hard to overstate the importance of that not countine.

If Sam gets that shot to count and Kevin hits that late three? We're talking about how gutty a win that was. Instead we're talking about firing Few for being the stupidest coach ever (some of us).

at the 2;25 mark we missed a wide open Shem on the block

there was other singular incidents but collectively they create issues

drvenkman05
02-08-2014, 08:22 PM
Few kept ineffective players on the floor. Our starting guards played poorly (it happens) but for some reason, Few left them out there for the majority of the game. Where were Nunez and Coleman in the second half? Specious answers of they "can't do this or that" or that won't work - when players aren't performing well and you need points, it is INSANITY to leave them in because a player not the bench MAY do something you don't like. Few would do well to improve on making changes based on what is happening in the CURRENT game rather than what "may or may not" happen. If a player isn't scoring you can't expect to fix that by keeping a different player on the bench.

drvenkman05
02-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Nobody is talking about firing Few. People are just tired of the pre-determined, "it's all the players fault because Few coached a MASTERPIECE" responses. Our three guards had a bad game (which happens - it's sports) but it was Few who CHOSE to leave them in the game when we needed points.

Hoopaholic
02-08-2014, 08:26 PM
Few kept ineffective players on the floor. Our starting guards played poorly (it happens) but for some reason, Few left them out there for the majority of the game. Where were Nunez and Coleman in the second half? Specious answers of they "can't do this or that" or that won't work - when players aren't performing well and you need points, it is INSANITY to leave them in because a player not the bench MAY do something you don't like. Few would do well to improve on making changes based on what is happening in the CURRENT game rather than what "may or may not" happen. If a player isn't scoring you can't expect to fix that by keeping a different player on the bench.

rough shooting night for sure but to claim they played poorly is simply to ignore the rest of the game 8 boards 9 assists and 4 steals and 5 turnovers combined is a pretty decent line ....shooting yes, rest of the game and getting the ball to the bigs was fairly solid

to play poorly in my book means the entire game events not simply shooting issues

DixieZag
02-08-2014, 08:27 PM
Nobody is talking about firing Few. People are just tired of the pre-determined, "it's all the players fault because Few coached a MASTERPIECE" responses. Our three guards had a bad game (which happens - it's sports) but it was Few who CHOSE to leave them in the game when we needed points.

Who the hell said he coached a masterpiece? I think there's a lot to the issues, I just don't think it's what "lost" the game. I think players, especially upper classmen have to do a little better in those situations. Few chooses to go with the guys that he's comfy with. I think he's got issues, a lot like hoop said - which I think is a pretty fair eval. (like a lot of what he says), but if a player IS going to be out there, it's on them to go at it with some fire in the belly and not be terrified.

I think the start of the second half was masterful - the team was loose and Memphis was confused.

Section 116
02-08-2014, 08:42 PM
Jim Meehan tweet: Jim Meehan ‏@SRJimm 2m
Pastner on GU's 2 of 16 3-pointers: “I kept saying, ‘I don’t care if the big guy (Karnowski) has 34 points, we are going to take the 3 out.”

caduceus
02-08-2014, 09:27 PM
RPI didn't budge (22 → 22). We weren't favored. It's not a bad loss. Guys played hard, good teaching moment. Win the WCC and it's all good. Like someone said elsewhere, we can hang with anyone if we're on all cylinders. Not critical that we're not on all cylinders at this juncture. Just hope we are come March.

bballbeachbum
02-08-2014, 09:33 PM
Jim Meehan tweet: Jim Meehan ‏@SRJimm 2m
Pastner on GU's 2 of 16 3-pointers: “I kept saying, ‘I don’t care if the big guy (Karnowski) has 34 points, we are going to take the 3 out.”

no sh!t

ZagaZags
02-08-2014, 11:34 PM
didnt show up? nunez got in for like 1 minute and Barham wasnt in much longer.....nunez got yanked immediately when he failed to rotate from weakside to ball side and the dude got a dunk.....staff must have sensed barham uptight or something because he didnt even get enough time to have to shower tonight

Nunez had the best seat in the house to watch that dunk. Up close and personal. ( granted he was not sitting.)

SteelZag
02-09-2014, 12:24 AM
One factor - Sam was 1 second late on his shot. He makes that and - I think we're up 3 with 1 minute left? To be sure - we shouldn't need a shot at 1 second of the shot clock but it would be hard to overstate the importance of that not counting

Huge possession. Question Dixie, if KD gets that baseline pass in a catch and shoot scenario, does he take the shot? Open shots seemed to be at a premium.

ZagsGoZags
02-09-2014, 12:50 AM
where was Gary Bell tonight?
is his hand still the problem?

Reborn
02-09-2014, 05:57 AM
This is the second game in a row where the Zag offense has disappeared for long periods of time. The same thing happened Wednesday against Portland. Unfortunately the one last night was in the last five minutes of the game. IMO, something is wrong that needs to be addressed and fixed. This can not continue to happen. Tough to win when you shoot just 13 FT and miss half of them, and then go 2-16 from behind the arch....Thats a fact.

cjm720
02-09-2014, 07:39 AM
Other teams smell blood in the water...we lose too many of these. That said, fun game, tough environment , not a bad loss for seeding. Also, live by the 3, die by the three....yet we were right there.

jpwils
02-09-2014, 09:21 AM
Other teams smell blood in the water...we lose too many of these. That said, fun game, tough environment , not a bad loss for seeding. Also, live by the 3, die by the three....yet we were right there.

We got outrebounded as a team!

Our guards got way outscored! One of the poorest games I've ever seen by our guards and wings.

Sorry-----but Stockton, Bell, and Pangos got out-played!

Time for Coleman and Dranginis to see more action....Bell and Stockton not getting it done IMHO.

Physical teams give us trouble- we had a big lead an took our foot off the gas-plain and simple.

At times Dower and Karnowski looked dominant.

Few needs to let guards know that minutes are up for grabs-why not try Barham and Nunez a bit more

and slide Dranginis over to the 2 if Bell is not producing????

BobZag
02-09-2014, 09:25 AM
The Toe.

gamagin
02-09-2014, 09:51 AM
Bullsh!t, once again.

We got outrebounded as a team!

Our guards got way outscored! One of the poorest games I've ever seen by our guards and wings.

Sorry-----but Stockton, Bell, and Pangos got out-played!

Time for Coleman and Dranginis to see more action....Bell and Stockton not getting it done IMHO.

Physical teams give us trouble- we had a big lead an took our foot off the gas-plain and simple.

At times Dower and Karnowski looked dominant.

Few needs to let guards know that minutes are up for grabs-why not try Barham and Nunez a bit more

and slide Dranginis over to the 2 if Bell is not producing????

Jackson was held to 5 points. FIVE. By DS and others, but mostly DS until he fouled out. I'd reckon a couple of those (DS) fouls were on Jackson even though DS got the call. But to your lame point, DS WAS getting it done.

The last time we played them Jackson was held to NO POINTS. w.t.f. you talking about ? two games and 10 points total to a guy who, If I heard on the pre game show was up to 16 ppg before the Zags came to town.

Jackson wound up with 10 because he drove into a pile in the middle numerous times and got the whistle instead of the charge. so those were 5 points on f.t.'s you blame on our guards, too.

But if you want to be an analyst and scold the guards for something, at least find something legitimate. In fairness.

Zagceo
02-09-2014, 09:53 AM
In the closing minutes of a game when the home team is pressing hard on defense and the crowd is into it and you've been in a scoring drought.......its up to the leaders on the team to get to the line. Drive into your defenders. We seemed to be driving away from our defenders. Get to the line take the crowd out and get easy baskets. Pangos, Bell, Dower. If your having a hard time getting a clean shot its because the defenders are in your face. Drive and draw the foul. It was painful watching our team dribble the around the arc and then have the shot clock run down on us. I felt like we were playing prevent defense.....just run the clock out.

This is one criticism I have for the entire team. We seem to tighten up and lose our compass like we've never practiced situational plays in practice. Something causes the sphincter factor to redline in crunch time! Something or someone needs to draw these kids together and loosen them up because tight kids make tight plays.

How can you get into crunch time and have players taking shots that are beyond their abilities when you consider yourself a disciplined conservative team?

We had soooooooo many plays that could have won it for us but to me it was the overall train wreck watching the this train traveling sooooooo slow just run us over as we saw it coming from 1000 yards away and just did nothing to avoid it.

I see this as a teachable moment. Please find a trigger to let the pressure escape in tight situations from these young kids. These kids can't play basketball at the highest level if all they worry about is making a mistake.

“We just needed to make one play down the stretch to break their will a little bit,” Stockton said. “You get to that point and sometimes you play not to lose. I think that’s what happened a little bit.”

Then again I could be wrong. :)

Reborn
02-09-2014, 09:56 AM
I agree with both David's play and the defense of the Zags. Their defense is good enough to play well in March, and to play very well in conference play, even on the road. I also agree with the calls by the refs. Part of the difficulty of winning on the road, unfortunately, is that the team traveling has to play against the refs as well.

Birddog
02-09-2014, 04:15 PM
There was too much of that newly named "Toilet Bowl offense". Zags got nailed on at least 2 shot clock violations (one in crunch time) and they probably jacked up at least another 3 crappy shots with the clock expiring. Memphis defense and athleticism trumped Zags back court experience big time in those cases.

Zags11
02-09-2014, 04:19 PM
Bullsh!t, once again.

Jackson was held to 5 points. FIVE. By DS and others, but mostly DS until he fouled out. I'd reckon a couple of those (DS) fouls were on Jackson even though DS got the call. But to your lame point, DS WAS getting it done.

The last time we played them Jackson was held to NO POINTS. w.t.f. you talking about ? two games and 10 points total to a guy who, If I heard on the pre game show was up to 16 ppg before the Zags came to town.

Jackson wound up with 10 because he drove into a pile in the middle numerous times and got the whistle instead of the charge. so those were 5 points on f.t.'s you blame on our guards, too.

But if you want to be an analyst and scold the guards for something, at least find something legitimate. In fairness.

Your love affair is funny. However, I agree Ds wasn't to blame at all. Bell is supposed to be a star. He just is player who fits in. Few does go ultra conservative.