PDA

View Full Version : At least we aren't Marcus Smart

Ekrub
02-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Whoa.

adoptedzag
02-08-2014, 07:50 PM
TV on mute case the baby is asleep. What happened?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

Ekrub
02-08-2014, 07:59 PM
Marcus Smart shoved a texas tech fan. Don't know why.

gozagswoohoo
02-08-2014, 08:01 PM
How was he not immediately ejected?

That was ridiculous.

adoptedzag
02-08-2014, 08:06 PM
So just watched the recap and I'm with Bilas. I want to know what the fan said to warrant more than a 1 game suspension. In the pros I can see more of a zero tolerance stance because everyone is an adult and the players are professionals. In college I feel that the grown man who said whatever he said to a kid to provoke that reaction needs to take a long hard look in the mirror.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

Ekrub
02-08-2014, 08:06 PM
Not quite sure. Pushing a fan like that... Who knows what the guy said to him but you don't want to lose your cool like that.

jazzdelmar
02-08-2014, 08:07 PM
He's gone from poster boy for NCAA bb to post office poster.

gozagswoohoo
02-08-2014, 08:11 PM
Whatever the fan said, it was WORDS. Smart turned and walked up to the fan. That was mistake #1.

But even after the T, Smart is on the bench screaming at everyone, then has to be bear hugged and pretty much forced off the court.

Just glad he's not on our team at this point.

Hoopaholic
02-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Whatever the fan said, it was WORDS. Smart turned and walked up to the fan. That was mistake #1.

But even after the T, Smart is on the bench screaming at everyone, then has to be bear hugged and pretty much forced off the court.

Just glad he's not on our team at this point.

and not the first out burst by Smart this year.....seems to be little stressed and pressing

Zippyzaggy
02-08-2014, 08:16 PM
Surprised to hear this. From everything I've heard this kid is always the epitomy of a perfect gentleman. Few raved about his calm demeanor and leadership qualitys.

Wow, he'd been better off leaving to the NBA last year. I can feel his money slip sliding away.

If you PUSH someone, maybe I'm wrong but...is that not possibly a 3rd degree assault charge?

Birddog
02-08-2014, 08:17 PM
Oklahoma St has lots of problems right now, I think Ford has lost the team.

zagapotomus
02-08-2014, 08:22 PM
Looking forward to hearing what the fan said to Smart. If it's enough to warrant that kind of response, hopefully he's disciplined, and if not at least shamed.

CDC84
02-08-2014, 08:24 PM
And I think Smart's actions reflect his growing frustration with the team's shortcomings. He's by far and away the best player on a team without any frontcourt guys to help him out. Part of this reason he skipped out on the NBA was that he thought the team would be much better than this.

His outburst is inexcusable, but not surprising in some ways. He is such a competitive guy. Maybe too competitive. Doubt you'll ever see him do it again.

Hoopaholic
02-08-2014, 08:41 PM
And I think Smart's actions reflect his growing frustration with the team's shortcomings. He's by far and away the best player on a team without any frontcourt guys to help him out. Part of this reason he skipped out on the NBA was that he thought the team would be much better than this.

His outburst is inexcusable, but not surprising in some ways. He is such a competitive guy. Maybe too competitive. Doubt you'll ever see him do it again.

but he publicly said he would never have another outburst less than 2 weeks ago.........someone needs to talk with the young man or he will end up pissing away his entire career

Birddog
02-08-2014, 08:45 PM
OSU just Monday dismissed their freshman backup PG who got in trouble for the 3rd time this season (twice with the Law). I think there is more crap under the covers. I'm not sure if Smart is involved and in fact I doubt he is, but there is definitely something wrong in Stillwater. Smart is really frustrated but that doesn't give him a pass on this. What the fan said will probably come out on the radio on Monday, I doubt it makes tomorrow's paper.

Section 116
02-08-2014, 08:50 PM
Here's your guy, the Texas Tech super fan: https://twitter.com/franfraschilla/status/432389495011282944/photo/1

Dick Vitale ‏@DickieV 16m
Just saw u-tube on the fan in the Smart situation & he can't cheer with class-hearing from twit fam that he loves to get on players .

CDC84
02-08-2014, 08:51 PM
There is a lot of feeling among college basketball analysts that Travis Ford is just not a good basketball coach, period. That a competent guy wouldn't have allowed the team to get into this kind of situation.

Ford is probably not the right guy to talk some sense into Marcus right now.

Hoopaholic
02-08-2014, 08:52 PM
There is a lot of feeling among college basketball analysts that Travis Ford is just not a good basketball coach, period. That a competent guy wouldn't have allowed the team to get into this kind of situation.

Ford is probably not the right guy to talk some sense into Marcus right now.

in that we agree.....but someone who cares for the kid needs to talk to him.........and soon

Birddog
02-08-2014, 08:57 PM
Ford has 5 years left on his contract at 2m per year. Not sure what the buyout is but they will have to ask T Boone to pay up if they want to fire him and there will be lots of chatter about doing just that.

CDC84
02-08-2014, 09:00 PM
in that we agree.....but someone who cares for the kid needs to talk to him.........and soon

I hope so too, because this kid is not some Ron Artest in the making kind of guy. He has the total and utter respect of too many high level basketball coaches. Guys like Few, Billy Donovan and Shaka Smart. Also, Big 12 coaches within his league. The situation is not going the way he wants it to. He has to handle it better. People in the know realize that OSU's core issues are not his fault, although his actions tonight will do nothing but worsen those issues.

caduceus
02-08-2014, 09:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ha3S3kwAQE

SteelZag
02-08-2014, 10:04 PM
Assuming he doesn't drop off as a lottery pick, he should get used to losing. Seems like he is a great winner tho. He's more than destined to go to dysfunctional, losing team and I'll wait and see if he is rookie of the year.

bballbeachbum
02-08-2014, 10:17 PM
Here's your guy, the Texas Tech super fan: https://twitter.com/franfraschilla/status/432389495011282944/photo/1

Dick Vitale ‏@DickieV 16m
Just saw u-tube on the fan in the Smart situation & he can't cheer with class-hearing from twit fam that he loves to get on players .

video of that event here. class act

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0NdJahHN0w&feature=youtu.be

ZagaZags
02-08-2014, 11:24 PM
Marcus Smart shoved a texas tech fan. Don't know why.

Not so Smart. Seems out of character for him.

WBM
02-08-2014, 11:29 PM
http://www.kjrh.com/sports/local-sports/who-is-the-fan-marcus-smart-shoved-espn-reporting-he-is-jeff-orr-texas-tech-red-raiders-super-fan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Eoa1Ko_lxE

Oregonzagnut
02-09-2014, 12:29 AM
I think the man says "I'm sorry about that". And I think Smart took it as sarcastic or as an insult to what he said prior. Maybe it was insulting or offensive but Smart overreacted.

Birddog
02-09-2014, 06:44 AM
I thought this might be the case. A little wiggle room for Smart if this proves to be true. TT needs to ban this guy if this is verified.
http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2014/02/marcus-smart-told-okla-st-coaches-fan-he-shoved-called-him-a-nigger/

And some more here that lends even more credibility.
http://inagist.com/all/432396873383436289/

ZagNut08
02-09-2014, 08:05 AM
When I saw it last night my guess was that is what was said.

Ezag
02-09-2014, 08:05 AM
I strongly doubt a guy who is an avid basketball fan even if he goes overboard sometimes, would use the "N" word in a predominately black sport.

vandalzag
02-09-2014, 08:22 AM
I strongly doubt a guy who is an avid basketball fan even if he goes overboard sometimes, would use the "N" word in a predominately black sport.

Yeah because the south is such and enlightened area when it comes to race relations. So you think that Smart just pushed the fan because the fan said Tech is number 1? All you have to do is look at the smug look on that idiots face afterword to see he was doing something out of line (I guess out of line would be for the non-racist crowd). Now it is easy to say Smart should be stronger than that and should not have reacted since any reaction drops himself down to the morons level. I wonder if the tech super fan would be willing to walk up to anybody on the street and say things like that. I am sure this guy would not stoop to using racial slurs:
http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Jeff-Orr-215x300.png

GU had a fan relocated (rumor it was at Few's request) who sat a couple of rows behind the GU bench. This guy had was acting like and clown yelling profanities at other teams, getting so worked up you standing and screaming red faced with spit flying everywhere.

Birddog
02-09-2014, 08:23 AM
Well, the guy stops short of admitting he used the "N" word, but he admits to "crossing the line". He also has some "history". The truth will come out.

BobZag
02-09-2014, 10:18 AM

Wanna bet?

ZagNut08
02-09-2014, 04:10 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/big12/2014/02/09/oklhoma-state-cowboys-marcus-smart-shove-texas-tech-fan/5340715/

Perhaps no racial slurs after all, smart out 3 games.

Oregonzagnut
02-09-2014, 04:24 PM
Smart over reacted. 3 games is fair.

Zags11
02-09-2014, 04:25 PM
Touchy subject. This kids are kids. I have seen grown men who are 40, fight at rec league and at church leagues. Over? Foul calls. We aren't perfect. People make mistakes. I dont like that it must of been racial right away by skin color. If it is? Ban the guy. Issue is freedom of speech.

Zag 77
02-09-2014, 04:33 PM
Sounds like this fan has a history of "crossing the line." Evidently Texas Tech thinks it is not an ejectable offense to be flipping the bird to players in a mixed crowd with families.

He has agreed to stay away from games for awhile. Sounds like he may very well have used the "N" word or something close. If that is the case I would say a one game suspension for Smart would be enough. That is pretty extreme provocation, and the punishment should take that into account.

DixieZag
02-09-2014, 05:06 PM
Touchy subject. This kids are kids. I have seen grown men who are 40, fight at rec league and at church leagues. Over? Foul calls. We aren't perfect. People make mistakes. I dont like that it must of been racial right away by skin color. If it is? Ban the guy. Issue is freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech applies to public property. Even though the university is a public university, I seriously doubt that it wouldn't be considered "private" enough to ban him.

Though - I'll admit, I'm not totally positive on that. They could remove him on another excuse "dangerous" to other fans, pretty much anything, really.

I "kind of" feel bad for Smart if it turns out that's what he said. I mean, it's an immediate sort of reaction and very touchy for a pretty damn good reason. He deserves punishment, for sure, but - - I'm sure there're a lot of people just happy they've never been in his spot. He's lost a lot of future money, likely.

Zags11
02-09-2014, 05:08 PM
Someone is a liar. Smart or Orr. Video evidence and witnesses support Orr.

Hoopaholic
02-09-2014, 06:43 PM
Freedom of speech applies to public property. Even though the university is a public university, I seriously doubt that it wouldn't be considered "private" enough to ban him.

Though - I'll admit, I'm not totally positive on that. They could remove him on another excuse "dangerous" to other fans, pretty much anything, really.

I "kind of" feel bad for Smart if it turns out that's what he said. I mean, it's an immediate sort of reaction and very touchy for a pretty damn good reason. He deserves punishment, for sure, but - - I'm sure there're a lot of people just happy they've never been in his spot. He's lost a lot of future money, likely.

universities have a right to ban those who do not comply with the fine print of your ticket.......if he said anything inappropriate ban him for a year

CDC84
02-09-2014, 08:07 PM
If a slur was used, the appropriate thing would have been to have pointed out the man to arena security. If security fails to act, you take the matter up with the league office, which makes Texas Tech look really bad.

You just cannot touch a member of the audience unless it's a personal safety issue. Big no no.

ZagaZags
02-09-2014, 09:37 PM
Word is, Jeff Orr called him a piece of cr@p.

webspinnre
02-09-2014, 10:13 PM
Word is, Jeff Orr called him a piece of cr@p.

And on the video, you can hear the words "piece of" if you listen.

ZagaZags
02-09-2014, 10:38 PM
Some people think they can act however they want at a game if they buy a game ticket. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaiufdTHTn4

MDABE80
02-09-2014, 11:42 PM
Orr's been doing this to other teams' players for at least 15 years. He should have been banned already. He called Smart a "peice of crap" and then some. Smart, on a 3 game losing streak had enough of this guy and went at him in a very tight game. Orr's admitted he did that and apparently he won't be coming to any games the rest of the season. I heard John Lucas III today in a shor interview. Lucas identified Orr as a chronic problem verbally abusing players.
He goads and cusses and abuses. he'll be gone. Smart is no thug or troublemaker. He'll be playing ball when Orr's long dead. Sad to see this but Orr is a chronic abuser. Seriously what kind of a geown up man taunts kids? Not a good one. I'm glad Orr's watching from TV the rest of the year. ANy more he'll be sent packing for a lot longer. Honestly, I not so sure I 'd do any different from what Smart did. So for now at least, this one'
s over.

TexasZagFan
02-10-2014, 04:46 AM
Orr's been doing this to other teams' players for at least 15 years. He should have been banned already. He called Smart a "peice of crap" and then some. Smart, on a 3 game losing streak had enough of this guy and went at him in a very tight game. Orr's admitted he did that and apparently he won't be coming to any games the rest of the season. I heard John Lucas III today in a shor interview. Lucas identified Orr as a chronic problem verbally abusing players.
He goads and cusses and abuses. he'll be gone. Smart is no thug or troublemaker. He'll be playing ball when Orr's long dead. Sad to see this but Orr is a chronic abuser. Seriously what kind of a geown up man taunts kids? Not a good one. I'm glad Orr's watching from TV the rest of the year. ANy more he'll be sent packing for a lot longer. Honestly, I not so sure I 'd do any different from what Smart did. So for now at least, this one'
s over.

If it hasn't been said earlier, I'll say it: lots of red-necks in Lubbock, and Orr fits the bill.

And it's about time that the NCAA prohibits "storming the court". Texas Tech should be fined harshly for the lack of security at the end of the game.

Someone's going to get hurt badly someday, and it could be a fan.

zagfan24
02-10-2014, 06:04 AM
s over.

Well said, Abe.

Mark Few's had incredibly high praise for Marcus Smart's character. It's sad to see his recent string of outbursts hurt his reputation because he does seem like a great person who is simply going through a very rough stretch. This particular incident says far more to be about a middle-aged man who thinks it is okay to routinely verbally abuse teenagers playing a game than it does about Smart.

titopoet
02-10-2014, 06:53 AM

Not to excuse it at all. The fan yelled a racial slur. I think going forward, a player shouldn't have to put up with such behavior and a ref should be allowed to throw out a fan. It happened in the UTEP against ODU on Sat. A fan uses that, a player should have the right to point it out to a ref and get that fan ejected. Like when Smart should not have gone up to the fan and shoved him, but neither does he have to deal with such racism either. Smart is getting a three game suspension, a good move by Texas Tech is ban that fan for at least the season. Fans have a responsibility as well. Like the Oregon coaches getting spit on, this has to be handled by fans being kicked out.

Zagceo
02-10-2014, 07:05 AM
Not to excuse it at all. The fan yelled a racial slur. I think going forward, a player shouldn't have to put up with such behavior and a ref should be allowed to throw out a fan. It happened in the UTEP against ODU on Sat. A fan uses that, a player should have the right to point it out to a ref and get that fan ejected. Like when Smart should not have gone up to the fan and shoved him, but neither does he have to deal with such racism either. Smart is getting a three game suspension, a good move by Texas Tech is ban that fan for at least the season. Fans have a responsibility as well. Like the Oregon coaches getting spit on, this has to be handled by fans being kicked out.

Have you watched sportscenter lately? I suggest you do before making anymore statements.

Zags11
02-10-2014, 07:17 AM
Issue is smart imo. Orr taunting college kids. If he doesnt cross line, then whats the issue? I have been at spokane chief games and heards tons of "non-rednecks" yelling or taunting the opposition. These kids are 15-21. This is what home field advantage means. If orr is swearing, threatning, being a racist then move or remove him.

If he is yelling how bad a player you are, how much you suck....then kids in wrong sport if thry can't take that. Good luck in pro's. Everyone says Smart has great character and im sure he does. Everyone makes mistakes and snaps. The issue is Smart as far as audio evidence shows Orr not sayibg a racial remark. 1st reports say Smart said "Orr called me the N word." If not true, Smart lost character points to me and trust. You dont saynsomeone was racist and make people jump on you, if it wasn't the case.

bartruff1
02-10-2014, 08:39 AM
Fans like that are simply cowards.

gamagin
02-10-2014, 09:05 AM
I remember a guy who used to spit on the opposing team's hockey players as they skated by him along the rink, and curse and act tough, at the Spokane Coliseum. I often wondered why he had any teeth left.

I also wondered why management allowed this behavior to continue in the first place.

I still wonder when I read about stuff like this.

This "fan" (and this TT guy) should have gotten the boot the first time anything untoward happened. Every regular in the building knows when a resident jerk is in the crowd.

Everyone except the innocent victim who happens to wind up in or near his trap.

Hoopaholic
02-10-2014, 10:35 AM
I was working the hockey game in seattle when the brawl broke out because of idiot fans taunting.......was ugly

CDC84
02-10-2014, 11:48 AM
TSN's Decourcy on the mess that Oklahoma State has become under Travis Ford and how that mess has contributed to Smart's recent outbursts:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-02-09/if-oklahoma-states-marcus-smart-is-to-learn-doesnt-someone-have-to-teach-big-12-suspension

Zagceo
02-10-2014, 12:20 PM
TSN's Decourcy on the mess that Oklahoma State has become under Travis Ford and how that mess has contributed to Smart's recent outbursts:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-02-09/if-oklahoma-states-marcus-smart-is-to-learn-doesnt-someone-have-to-teach-big-12-suspension

Wow didn't see that coming. Blame the coach. I'd say that sends the wrong message imo.

cjm720
02-10-2014, 12:25 PM
3 games seems right. It was ugly though. He'll learn from it. Seems like a natural leader...I'd want him on my team.

CDC84
02-10-2014, 01:54 PM
Wow didn't see that coming. Blame the coach. I'd say that sends the wrong message imo.

MD also blamed Marcus as well on Saturday (see link below). Clearly, what he did was wrong. But this incident needs to be understood in the context of what is going on at OSU right now. It's an utter mess:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-02-09/ok-state-star-reminded-what-every-big-time-athlete-knows-contact-with-a-fan-is-not-smart

zag944
02-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Punishment seems about right. Just can't do stuff like that.

With that being said...the NCAA, its referees, and the Texas Tech arena security need to take note of this jerk for as long as he chooses to attend basketball games, and I suspect that they will. His self imposed 3-game hiatus is not sufficient either in my mind.

Bkzag
02-11-2014, 02:57 PM
Issue is smart imo. Orr taunting college kids. If he doesnt cross line, then whats the issue? I have been at spokane chief games and heards tons of "non-rednecks" yelling or taunting the opposition. These kids are 15-21. This is what home field advantage means. If orr is swearing, threatning, being a racist then move or remove him.

If he is yelling how bad a player you are, how much you suck....then kids in wrong sport if thry can't take that. Good luck in pro's. Everyone says Smart has great character and im sure he does. Everyone makes mistakes and snaps. The issue is Smart as far as audio evidence shows Orr not sayibg a racial remark. 1st reports say Smart said "Orr called me the N word." If not true, Smart lost character points to me and trust. You dont saynsomeone was racist and make people jump on you, if it wasn't the case.

First, I think Marcus over reacted but he is also a product of his environment; therefore, reacted inappropriately. There was a much more forgettable incident last year between Cincy and Xavier. I felt that both coaches as well as the involved players should of been disciplined. Smart's three game suspension might of been a tad over the line as well. If that fan acted appropriately then there would be no incident.

" This is what home field advantage means. If Orr is swearing, threatening, being a racist then MOVE ON or remove him." So it's ok to taunt the opposition? What happened to sportsmanship? I have seen BYU players lend a hand to a player who has fallen and then players from the other team take offense??? What has happened to sportsmanship???

I take issue with your comment as it seems that you don't see anything wrong with fans yelling or taunting the opposition who happen to be kids between the ages 15-21!

This is one of the problems with today's society, where "fans" act like idiots and others seem to think that's ok! When has it ever been ok to ridicule athletes during an athletic contest/event. How many times have you heard fans mocking athletes during Olympic Games ie gymnastics or ice skating. It wouldn't be tolerated and should never be tolerated at any event. Yes, I know professionals are paid money to ignore those types of remarks BUT it is still wrong.

Why would anyone think it is acceptable to ridicule amateur athletes and that they should just ignore these idiots. Sure they pay handsomely for their tickets and the Athletic Department looks the other way because they "need" the money!

It just seems that so many are willing to prostitute themselves to make money and subsequently, allow this type of behavior to continue and for it to be acceptable in our society.

I heard Wilborn say on PTI that Noah should not be disciplined to cursing out the officials. He stated in so many words, that these NBA players constantly curse/swear during the games so what is the difference if their rants are directed at the officials. ???? This is absurd and for anyone to think that is acceptable behavior is plain wrong. Those officials stand for authority on the basketball court/field just as teachers do in the classroom and showing them disrespect should never be acceptable.

We need to stop tolerating this type of behavior whether it is fans or NBA players that cross the line.

Of course this is just a 64 year old's opinion and since I am a member of the senior citizens group, nothing I say or watch is important...

Keep the faith and GO ZAGS.

Zags11
02-11-2014, 03:58 PM
I dont do that. Saying u need thick skin.

Zags11
02-11-2014, 04:22 PM
I meant I have seen fans taunt 15yr olds. I didnt say it was right. Im saying it isnt just texas. But you need to have thicker skin.

Bkzag
02-11-2014, 05:44 PM
I meant I have seen fans taunt 15yr olds. I didnt say it was right. Im saying it isnt just texas. But you need to have thicker skin.

I never stated YOU acted inappropriately it was your comment that seems you were pretty cavalier about the topic. So that is what you meant...it wasn't just in Texas. It is everywhere and has become a problem. Not sure why I would need thicker skin, it is pretty thick now and getting rubbery too.

Zags11
02-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Im writing wrong. I meant players need thicker skin. Not you. Lol.

kitzbuel
02-12-2014, 02:54 AM
Im writing wrong. I meant players need thicker skin. Not you. Lol.

64 year olds should have thicker skins than 15 yo players. Kinda makes his point.... :)

Zags11
02-12-2014, 07:06 AM
Lol I retire in this thread. I butchered it. Lol