PDA

View Full Version : GU-Memphis post game radio

Section 116
02-08-2014, 07:34 PM
GU outscored 10-0 in final 2:56. A couple big offensive rebounds and some crafty defense put the Tigers over the top as they close with the last run of the game. Bulldogs shot 45% from the field, 50% in the second half but it wasn't enough, mostly because Memphis was plus 16 on the glass. GU played pretty good ball, Coleman was great in the first half, they just couldn't find a way to score in the last three minutes. Daniels: We stayed to the game plan, high low to the bigs, but the thing that really hurt us was we couldn't get an offensive rebounds. They cut it to two, we got it up to nine, and they catch up again all because we can't get a rebound. We played great for 39 minutes. Dower and Karnowski had solid games, you can't have a shot clock violation down the stretch. You have to give Memphis some credit, this is a hard place to play, I don't know what their record is here. At one time we're still up one and they miss some fouls shots but we can't convert. We have to let this go, we have a conference game on Thursday. We have to learn from this. We have to rebound better, we have to execute better. Hudson and Violette: At the 5:14 mark the Zags were at the 52 point mark so it wasn't just the last three minutes it was really the last 5. This is an incredibly tough place to play, an environment the Zags haven't faced much this year. The Zags tightened up some, they didn't get the ball to their shooters. That's it except for post game stats. Added comment from Violette, on the bigs. He noted Memphis had no answer for Dower and Karnowski and he actually felt overall the Zags played one of their better games of the year, they just didn't get enough help from the outside. He noted Memphis athletes just fly around and tip a lot of balls around which lead to a lot of Memphis rebounds. He said the only way to combat that is our guards have to check them and they didn't do that.

jazzdelmar
02-08-2014, 07:42 PM
Spinning like a Maytag. Gimme a break Damiels. Zags went from 12 up to 6 down, an 18 point swing. Violette said WHAT?

Reborn
02-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Spinning like a Maytag. Gimme a break Damiels. Zags went from 12 up to 6 down, an 18 point swing. Violette said WHAT?

Memphis closed on a 17-2 run. Memphis had twice as many free throw attempts then GU, and made more than 12 free throws than the Zags. I felt the refs killed Gonzaga.

Section 116
02-08-2014, 07:57 PM
I noted what Violette, Hudson and Daniels said. I didn't comment one way or the other. The info posted is for those folks who have no access to post game radio!

ZagLawGrad
02-08-2014, 08:00 PM
Tom Hudson is mediocre at best. I was driving and had to listen to his call of the game. He went for a period of 4 minutes or so towards the end of the game without giving the score. Frustrating to listen to him.

Zippyzaggy
02-08-2014, 08:02 PM
12 up? Another freaking COLLAPSE? After Portland?!

Good Lord, am I glad I DVR'd this for later watching and for what I HOPED was going to be an enjoyable viewing experience this evening.
Screw it, I'm not gonna watch that cr*p. Maybe I'll watch something SOFT, like the Sound of Music or something instead!

And POOF...we're on the outside of the top 25 for good now, no matter what we do. WCC Tourney Champs or NIT here we come.

I really thought they'd pull this out. This SUCKS!!

Section 116
02-08-2014, 08:02 PM
That's an interesting take on Hudson. Heister is the guy who usually draws the ire of folks on this board.

caduceus
02-08-2014, 09:16 PM
I'd like to know why the hell the game wasn't broadcast on KIXI in Seattle. Turned it on and it was some political crap talk show.

As always, your review of the postgame radio is much appreciated, 116.

zagar
02-08-2014, 09:34 PM
I noted what Violette, Hudson and Daniels said. I didn't comment one way or the other. The info posted is for those folks who have no access to post game radio!

116, as someone who lives outside the U.S. and has access to spotty internet at best, I'm always grateful for the recap.

bballbeachbum
02-08-2014, 09:36 PM
116, as someone who lives outside the U.S. and has access to spotty internet at best, I'm always grateful for the recap.

+1

JPtheBeasta
02-08-2014, 10:02 PM
I never would have guessed we shot 50% in the second half...

demian
02-08-2014, 11:04 PM
thanks for always posting the post game radio show info, I always enjoy reading it because I definetly don't have access to it on radio

wnczagfan
02-09-2014, 07:36 AM
thanks for always posting the post game radio show info, I always enjoy reading it

+1

Reborn
02-09-2014, 09:52 AM
12 up? Another freaking COLLAPSE? After Portland?!

Good Lord, am I glad I DVR'd this for later watching and for what I HOPED was going to be an enjoyable viewing experience this evening.
Screw it, I'm not gonna watch that cr*p. Maybe I'll watch something SOFT, like the Sound of Music or something instead!

And POOF...we're on the outside of the top 25 for good now, no matter what we do. WCC Tourney Champs or NIT here we come.

I really thought they'd pull this out. This SUCKS!!

I am hoping that this loss prepares the Zags to face that brutal road trip coming up in two weeks. I think it will. I'm glad Gonzaga scheduled a game like this one near the end of the season. If Gonzaga can beat St Mary's and BYU on the road then they will be back in the top 25 I think. This loss was not that bad to keep them out of the top 25 for the rest of the year.