PDA

View Full Version : Memphis Gameday coverage

Rangerzag
02-08-2014, 05:51 AM
Morning coverage starts at 7 AM PST. Listing states it goes for two hours.

RenoZag
02-08-2014, 06:52 AM
Bilas had some nice compliments for Coach Few and the program. Pastner followed suit when he and Few did the director's chair interview with Reece Davis.

Zagceo
02-08-2014, 07:50 AM
PLAY ANGRY!

Guard the line make them drive! per Digger

ZAGLAWQB
02-08-2014, 07:56 AM
Memphis Kids are ready to raise the roof!!!

scott257
02-08-2014, 08:24 AM
The GameDay that was on here (in Texas) did not even mention a Gonzaga player by name. No interview with either coach. Pretty disappointing, I backed it up and re-watched just to see if I had missed something. They did quite a bit on Wichita State on how they "play angry." It was a crap show here, they barely talked about Memphis other than to show the Ducks in the Peabody Hotel and some shots around the city.

Reborn
02-08-2014, 08:31 AM
The GameDay that was on here (in Texas) did not even mention a Gonzaga player by name. No interview with either coach. Pretty disappointing, I backed it up and re-watched just to see if I had missed something. They did quite a bit on Wichita State on how they "play angry." It was a crap show here, they barely talked about Memphis other than to show the Ducks in the Peabody Hotel and some shots around the city.

Agree with you. Lousy show. It's the first time I watched it this year, and I doubt I'll watch it again. I kind of feel sorry for the Memphis fans who had a huge turn out for the show. Their team wasn't even mentioned in the program. And Honestly, I really don't care for any of the "celebraties" on the show, and the key to that word is "brat." I used to like Jay but that has really changed. What an ego.

Zagceo
02-08-2014, 08:36 AM
Zags were just dismissed by GameDay and should be offended by the Shockers getting more airtime.

GET ANGRY! PLAY WITH A CHIP!

scott257
02-08-2014, 08:48 AM
Agree with you. Lousy show. It's the first time I watched it this year, and I doubt I'll watch it again. I kind of feel sorry for the Memphis fans who had a huge turn out for the show. Their team wasn't even mentioned in the program. And Honestly, I really don't care for any of the "celebraties" on the show, and the key to that word is "brat." I used to like Jay but that has really changed. What an ego.

They may show different versions depending on where you are, but if anyone thinks Gonzaga or Memphis were getting good press around the country, it just didn't happen. I thought it was low class and to see more about Wichita State while there was no mention of Gonzaga (other than no one picks them to win) makes me think ESPN just sucks. I won't watch again.

ZAGLAWQB
02-08-2014, 09:01 AM
Same show all over...1 hour out west....producers suck....no tapes of players or coaches or gonzaga/spokane people. Panel not very professional...Digger sick and hard of hearing especially regarding secondary comments not on point from rest of panel...Bilas has become one dimensional with
ranking tourney possibles as his frame of reference. So boring for those Memphis kids and fans who got up early east coast time...feel bad for them.

gomemphistigers1
02-08-2014, 09:10 AM
Same show all over...1 hour out west....producers suck....no tapes of players or coaches or gonzaga/spokane people. Panel not very professional...Digger sick and hard of hearing especially regarding secondary comments not on point from rest of panel...Bilas has become one dimensional with
ranking tourney possibles as his frame of reference. So boring for those Memphis kids and fans who got up early east coast time...feel bad for them.

Memphis is Central Time...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/gomemphistigers1/image_zpsa1e34763.jpg

That's a good crowd considering I walked outside and saw:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/gomemphistigers1/image_zps16c4c9e0.jpg

Thats a full on blizzard for us.

jazzdelmar
02-08-2014, 09:12 AM
Last year's Gameday vs Butler was only marginally better. Unless it's a BCS program expect short shrift. It's just a way to make the same old, tired faces and voices appear to be different. C minus.

scott257
02-08-2014, 09:22 AM

If it is the same everywhere, how is it that the coaches weren't part of the show that I have on my DVR?

Zagceo
02-08-2014, 09:26 AM
If it is the same everywhere, how is it that the coaches weren't part of the show that I have on my DVR?

I'm confused also. The first comment in this thread reads that GameDay started at 7am PST will last 2hrs. I started watching at 8:05am PST and my TV guide says it started at 8:00am?

RenoZag
02-08-2014, 09:30 AM
There was a GameDay show on ESPN-U that started at 7:00 PST. A second hour was on ESPN beginning at 8:00. The first hour included the Pastner-Few interview.
The second hour didn't mention tonight's game very much.

This split channel format is the same one "Game Day" has used in past seasons. The first hour tends to be the one that focuses on the evening's marquee game. The second hour tends to be more chatter from a national perspective.

FWIW, Bilas will be joining Dan Schulman on tonight's Tigers -Bulldogs match-up.

scott257
02-08-2014, 09:33 AM
There was a GameDay show on ESPN-U that started at 7:00 PST. A second hour was on ESPN beginning at 8:00. The first hour included the Pastner-Few interview.

That answers my question. I wish I had known that in advance.

Rangerzag
02-08-2014, 09:33 AM

Exactly.

3XaZag
02-08-2014, 10:16 AM
At least here in Los Angeles on TWC ESPN is showing that they will come back for a 'Game Day' reprise a half hour before our game. I expect that show will recap what happened in earlier games and then be more focused on GU-Memphis coverage. If there was some shocker today that they feel needs extensive coverage, then we might get shorted more. I think with an afternoon slot in place, a decision to be focused more on early in the day games and the 'full national' scene' is defensible. The Shockers, as one of the two undefeateds left, deserve attention. I am not defending the overall quality of the early show, I only caught 5 minutes of it, but the split in coverage, especially considering the Few interview in the first hour, seems reasonable.

Zag365
02-08-2014, 11:03 AM
Game Day is about featuring college basketball (to attract a national audience) all Saturday now that football is over. It is going to occasionally book games like this to give some of the "name" non-BCS schools some exposure and it shows balance in their coverage; but, for a national audience, they are going to feature current "stories" in college basketball and not do a one-hour marathon tribute to two schools that are barely in the top-25 and aren't playing like they could go deep in the tourney. I would love to watch several hours of Zag coverage and interviews on Game Day, but it is not going to happen. I'm just happy that Zags are one of the select programs that gets featured on Game Day from time-to-time. Neither Gonzaga or Memphis have teams or players that have attracted national attention this season. We will earn more highlights/commentary if we play well tonight. Let's hope so.

ZagnetitForce
02-08-2014, 11:03 AM
That answers my question. I wish I had known that in advance.

Well crap.....recorded the wrong hour apparently. Wont even bother to watch now...at least I wont an hour of my life now.

Zag365
02-08-2014, 11:23 AM
Remember him. He got a couple of mentions on Game Day during discussion of UVA success.

DADoZAG
02-08-2014, 11:50 AM
From Digger @ the 52 minute point of the 8:00 AM show:

Guard the 3s! Guard the 3s! How 'bout make 'em drive! Coaching! Guard... the... 3s! Play... the... line!

But that was WSU, this is Memphis.

Dominate the paint! (Unless they go off from 3, of course)

Go ZAGS!

23dpg
02-08-2014, 12:43 PM
Thrilled with the promo I saw on Espn last night.
"Gameday featuring Memphis vs Gon zawg a". Really? After all these years?

Zagceo
02-08-2014, 12:45 PM
Thrilled with the promo I saw on Espn last night.
"Gameday featuring Memphis vs Gon zawg a". Really? After all these years?

Saint Marys guy doing the voice over!

Pastner4Prez
02-08-2014, 12:51 PM
Game Day is about featuring college basketball (to attract a national audience) all Saturday now that football is over. It is going to occasionally book games like this to give some of the "name" non-BCS schools some exposure and it shows balance in their coverage; but, for a national audience, they are going to feature current "stories" in college basketball and not do a one-hour marathon tribute to two schools that are barely in the top-25 and aren't playing like they could go deep in the tourney. I would love to watch several hours of Zag coverage and interviews on Game Day, but it is not going to happen. I'm just happy that Zags are one of the select programs that gets featured on Game Day from time-to-time. Neither Gonzaga or Memphis have teams or players that have attracted national attention this season. We will earn more highlights/commentary if we play well tonight. Let's hope so.

We have had fair coverage from ESPN considering they own our TV deal. I can't gripe at the moment because they have been vocal in pumping the AAC in basketball

gomemphistigers1
02-08-2014, 02:42 PM
We have had fair coverage from ESPN considering they own our TV deal. I can't gripe at the moment because they have been vocal in pumping the AAC in basketball

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/gomemphistigers1/image_zps0a1b22fd.jpg

Zagceo
02-08-2014, 03:23 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bf7AnNvCUAAU_7m.jpg:large