PDA

View Full Version : The Kennel

scrabble08
02-06-2014, 12:09 PM
Embarrassing is really the only word to describe it. It always starts with the Kennel Club, they must provide the energy but they are proving to be completely incapable of even a small level of noise or consistency. The Kennel is no longer a tough place to play.

Last night was one of the more pathetic fan performances I have ever seen out of a Gonzaga crowd, a basketball crowd even. The KC student section may have had 800 kids in it (I'm being generous), and of those who made the valiant effort to show up, many left at halftime...those who stayed were pathetic at best. The complacency is sad.

With that in mind you would think the Non-Student population would be savvy enough to realize how to make an impact. NBA fans are razzed all the time by ignorant college fans for being blase "sit on your hands" type fans..Most NBA fan bases understand when to matter, and how to make an impact. Last night the Zags had a 17 point lead that quickly evaporated in the second half, down to 9, down to 6...down to 3..not once did the fans decide it mattered or it was worth it to get up and yell..it took being down 4 to a mediocre Portland team for anyone to wake up..against a good team that is too late. Here's to hoping a few people are willing to be "that guy" or "that gal", it is a sporting event after all, it's supposed to be fun and the team can feel good fan energy. We need people to step out of their comfort zones and know when to matter. Right now there is nothing good about the fans in the Kennel, as an alum that makes me sad.

zagporvida
02-06-2014, 12:13 PM
I heard there were student tickets left as of Monday, don't know if they distributed them all or not.

cjm720
02-06-2014, 12:31 PM
The KC has never been worse. It's gone down hill the past few years.

#needtogetdrunkmorekennelclub

Lurknomore
02-06-2014, 12:35 PM
Frankly, I couldn't believe the student section wasn't filled with students especially after Portland beat us. Where I was sitting people didn't stand up until the last four minutes or so, when you do try to stand up the people behind you get peeved. It makes me crazy that the regular fans don't get into the games more, the team was trying to get the crowd to stand and make some noise as well. I also couldn't believe people were heading to the exit with two minutes to play.

229SintoZag
02-06-2014, 12:36 PM
I was at the game and I agree it was quiet. Real quiet. Especially that first 10-12 minutes of the second half.

We have a bit of a chicken and egg problem here. I for one did not see much to cheer about during that stretch. Missed bunnies, stupid fouls, lapsed defense, ill advised turnovers, missed free throws.

The crowd may not have been at its best, but the reality is that the team on the floor did nothing to get the crowd fired up.

Once Dower hit his little jumper and things started to turn, the crown got plenty fired up, especially on defense to shut down Portland. At least in my seats up in the nosebleeds.

gamagin
02-06-2014, 01:09 PM
I was at the game and I agree it was quiet. Real quiet. Especially that first 10-12 minutes of the second half.

We have a bit of a chicken and egg problem here. I for one did not see much to cheer about during that stretch. Missed bunnies, stupid fouls, lapsed defense, ill advised turnovers, missed free throws.

The crowd may not have been at its best, but the reality is that the team on the floor did nothing to get the crowd fired up.

Once Dower hit his little jumper and things started to turn, the crown got plenty fired up, especially on defense to shut down Portland. At least in my seats up in the nosebleeds. 229

this.

cjm720
02-06-2014, 01:22 PM
The "airball" chant when we had the ball was hilarious.

I'll just say it, do these kids not get drunk anymore?

BTB
02-06-2014, 01:59 PM
The "airball" chant when we had the ball was hilarious.

I'll just say it, do these kids not get drunk anymore?

I don't go to GU, but I went to G-Prep and lots of my friends go to GU now. They are seniors. I've been to GU a couple times during my school's breaks and tried to party there, but almost every time we just end up leaving and drinking at my house because there are no real parties going on. Also, whenever I have sat in the student section with them a lot of my buddies are quiet for most of the game. The culture in the student section sometimes feels like everyone's "too cool to cheer" sometimes. Kind of like how adult fans act.

ZAGGED OUT
02-06-2014, 02:05 PM
Sorry Sinto, I don't think it's the teams responsibility to get people fired up. Centurylink doesn't quiet down when Russell fumbles the first snap against the 9ers or when they're losing to Arizona. As fans you should be loud at all times, especially when another team is making a run. If a crowd stays loud, they guys will keep their intensity up. When everyone goes silent, nerves creep in on them. It doesn't help the team if everyone quietly watches a lead evaporate, get up and make it hard for Portland! It's a double negative when we're quiet, our team doesn't get amped and Portland only gets more fired up knowing they're making us nervous.

I'm with CJM, get drunk!!!!! When EWU was on espn in 2010 not one single student was sober for that! Take some pride in being a difficult atmosphere for opponents geez

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjm720
02-06-2014, 02:09 PM
I don't go to GU, but I went to G-Prep and lots of my friends go to GU now. They are seniors. I've been to GU a couple times during my school's breaks and tried to party there, but almost every time we just end up leaving and drinking at my house because there are no real parties going on. Also, whenever I have sat in the student section with them a lot of my buddies are quiet for most of the game. The culture in the student section sometimes feels like everyone's "too cool to cheer" sometimes. Kind of like how adult fans act.

Maybe the students just get baked...

(thanks for the feedback, BTB)

BobZag
02-06-2014, 02:21 PM
Sleepy.

DixieZag
02-06-2014, 02:37 PM
Sleepy.

Cold.

zagmantis2001
02-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Cold.

I can understand not being loud, because the team was really playing sub-par basketball in the second half. I was just shocked that the students didn't show up in the first place. The entire end section had no students. The general public bought the tickets because the students didn't use them. I've said it once and I'll say it again---use them or lose them. The University can make A TON of money off those seats.

BobZag
02-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Cory Violette's words on radio: "Sleepy."

Zag 77
02-06-2014, 03:36 PM
It was a Wednesday night. I have 2 kids there and I don't pay big bucks for them to get wasted in the middle of the week. I don't have a problem with them having a little fun on the weekend.

And, their financial aid requires them to get decent grades.

I think some people have a bit of selective memory of what it was like when they were students at GU.

Oregonzagnut
02-06-2014, 04:39 PM
It was a Wednesday night. I have 2 kids there and I don't pay big bucks for them to get wasted in the middle of the week. I don't have a problem with them having a little fun on the weekend.

I think some people have a bit of selective memory of what it was like when they were students at GU.

Wednesday night games are not drinking nights anyway. Thursday maybe. Saturday definitely. Wednesday nights are no good IMO and I like the Thursday/Saturday WCC schedule far better. Maybe it is just what I am used to.

TheGonzagaFactor
02-06-2014, 05:10 PM

I see what you're saying, but students at Duke/UNC get nutty for weekday games and still do fine in school. This weak crowd is a trend, not a one-off. The Kennel just isn't as rowdy as it used to be. Let's just accept it. Not consistently a tough place to play.

gbnyba17
02-06-2014, 05:42 PM

Boy oh boy how things have changed in just a few short years since I was there. The problem I have with the lack of noise and lack of participation by the KC is at what point does GU lose it's reputation as an all-out basketball school with an atmostphere like no other? I truly believe that recruits sense the "special" vibe GU has had for years (raucous crowds, camping out in 0 degree temps for seats, getting rowdy on a Wed night game, etc) and its appealing to many. I know the two aren't necessarily directly related but when does the dying fan participation begin to have an impact on recruiting and performance on the court?

I could be way off but interesting to think about.

zag69
02-06-2014, 06:01 PM
Two questions for y'all:

Why do students have to be drunk midweek to cheer loudly for their school's team?

If, as Scrabble says in the OP, Portland is a mediocre team...yes, the Portland who beat us, then erased a huge halftime deficit and led GU in the Kennel late in the second half....how much lower than mediocre must Gonzaga University be?

MTZag03
02-06-2014, 06:47 PM
I think it all went back to after my senior year (02-03). That's when they banned the KC pre-party/afterparty. Everyone used to be absolutely lit before games. I can't speak to how it is now, but it is not longer the clearly illegal, informally school sanctioned underage drinking machine that it used to be.

Zag 77
02-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Rock and Roll has gone downhill since the Beatles broke up.

Seriously, all the crowds were rowdier, louder and more passionate when we were young because we remember it that way.

Even the Old Farts got on their feet against Portland late in the game, which hardly ever happens.

WBM
02-07-2014, 04:26 AM
... I also couldn't believe people were heading to the exit with two minutes to play.

Seriously. In a close game, you're heading for the door with 2 minutes to go? I was appalled. Perhaps GU should test for fan intensity and factor that in with priority points...

gozagswoohoo
02-07-2014, 06:03 AM
This makes me sad...

Birddog
02-07-2014, 07:18 AM
Perhaps the KC needs a motivational speaker. If they can't get Matt Foley, maybe Woohoo and Francis could sub.
http://screen.yahoo.com/snl-best-of-skits/down-river-000000356.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adp-zuOcco0

cjm720
02-07-2014, 07:33 AM

Game nights were always party nights when I was in college (1991-1995)...sure you needed to make smart decisions to get the grades, but unless I had a test the following day I started drinking after 3 o'clock ball in the Martin Centre. Moderation is the key to life and I learned that in college...good times!!!

Vanzagger
02-07-2014, 09:34 AM
I started drinking at 3 o'clock AM once. It was after the first Battle In Seattle vs #4 Missouri. I had been passed out for a few hours. I awoke and my brother was the last man standing. I asked him what he was watching at 3 in the morning on TV? "CNN...they just caught Saddam Hussein".

That was a good tasting beer

gozagswoohoo
02-07-2014, 10:35 AM
Perhaps the KC needs a motivational speaker. If they can't get Matt Foley, maybe Woohoo and Francis could sub.
http://screen.yahoo.com/snl-best-of-skits/down-river-000000356.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adp-zuOcco0

I don't live in a van down by the river, but I DO live in a neighborhood with a lot of meth-heads down by a huge cow farm.

Just as motivational, if you ask me.

77Zag
02-07-2014, 10:40 AM

77 to 77 --

So how do you explain the BYU fans -- obviously, not in the wasted category.

ZAGGED OUT
02-07-2014, 11:29 AM
Long time lurker, had to join just to respond to this thread. I read this forum mostly for the inside information/breaking news but had to post here.

It's not fair to demand fans to get up and scream and make a bunch of noise. That's not what sports is about. Maybe the whole 12th man stuff has clouded that fact but I don't know.

WCC games against inferior competition is hard to get amped up about. Gonzaga blew a big lead to a mediocre team. That's on them. Fans shouldn't be excited about that. Forgive us for not being excited about that and standing up and screaming for a poor performance. Give us something to cheer about and yell about and we will.

The team is responsible for it plain and simple. Enough of these threads knocking the fan base. It's stupid. Give us something to tell about. Fake, manufactured noise is lame

I consider fake and manufactured noise the type that only comes when given a reason. IMO real fans cheer nonstop. I remember going to conference games in the early 2000's and your seat shook from 3 minutes before tip til the end. I just think we're now taking for granted the fact that we usually blow people out. It's a bummer really.

Zagdawg
02-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Gotta disagree Milano-- the "them" that you speak of who blew the lead is actually us. The difference between a great fanbase and arena and good/ok arena is the fans-- are the fans going to bring it each night and give our team the extra edge.

The Kennel and the season ticket holders can make a huge difference in any game -- if they choose to. We see this at games where they need to stand and fire up the team -- most of the time they do.

I wonder how many fans in Spokane would be willing to go cheer at a Zag game given the opportunity-- vs the folks that have the seats -- some feel having seats is a status symbol for them-- or grandpa gave them their seats -- or a tax deduction to take clients to.

We are one family-- not a them (players/program) and us (fans) who are telling the players to "go entertain us and earn our cheers".

We cheer because we celebrate the Zag tradition as part of one family and team --not because the Zags had a nice dunk that earned a cheer.

Go Zags

cjm720
02-07-2014, 11:49 AM
The fans are getting complacent and expect the best now, which I can understand to a degree but that's not how I roll...I rarely sat during a game in my 4 years (well 3 since I was in Florence) and it was only until the last game of the season of my senior year that we made the big dance (1995). We were considered by many as the best home court in the nation and we had the longest active home winning streak then...that was huge motivation to the fan base. The only things that have changed since then is a new arena, better OOC games, and expectations.

Get up and be loud, KC.

Pargo the Destroyer
02-07-2014, 12:09 PM
I just can't Agree.. What's the point of adults standing up and yelling and screaming during a moment when nothing is happening? That doesn't happen anywhere. You can say the kennel club isn't as loud as it has bed not should be, but as for the season ticket holders.. That's not our job.

Crowd noise is different in football as it confuses the oppositions offense and that sort of thing. In basketball, usually crowds are really loud during a positive play for there team or sensing a momentum change and the players can feed off of that.

But I can't recall a situation where a crowd got ridiculously loud during a period where the team was struggling and it somehow magically changed the game. I believe the fans are cheering when appropriate and on par w the rest of the country.kennel club is different of course as student sections are always making noise but the rest of the crowd? Find me a crowd in the country that's standing up and screaming the entire game. Doesn't happen and that's not why we go to the games

What is your job then exactly? Besides making sure your butt doesn't come in contact with the seat it's intended for, using hands as a buffer zone. The status this team has earned via it's accomplishments shouldn't lead to me being able to have 6,000 people in a confined space yet still hear sneakers squeaking through my surround sound at home. Not coming after you specifically Milano. But that's the perception. See and be seen, but all be damned if you're heard.

Birddog
02-07-2014, 12:24 PM
Walt Kelly channelling Pogo Possum summed it up:
http://www.mindparts.org/blog_images/pogo.jpg

WBM
02-07-2014, 12:39 PM
I just can't Agree.. What's the point of adults standing up and yelling and screaming during a moment when nothing is happening? That doesn't happen anywhere. You can say the kennel club isn't as loud as it has bed not should be, but as for the season ticket holders.. That's not our job.

Crowd noise is different in football as it confuses the oppositions offense and that sort of thing. In basketball, usually crowds are really loud during a positive play for there team or sensing a momentum change and the players can feed off of that.

But I can't recall a situation where a crowd got ridiculously loud during a period where the team was struggling and it somehow magically changed the game. I believe the fans are cheering when appropriate and on par w the rest of the country.kennel club is different of course as student sections are always making noise but the rest of the crowd? Find me a crowd in the country that's standing up and screaming the entire game. Doesn't happen and that's not why we go to the games

I believe it does bolster the players. Imagine being an athlete. You're going great, and the crowd is cheering for you, but then you make a mistake. If the crowd goes silent, how do you feel? How do you feel if instead, you hear some half-drunk fan in the nosebleeds yell "THATS ALRIGHT, KEEP IT GOING!" and the crowd goes wild for you to pick yourself up.

I have never played, but I have to imagine it helps on some subconscious level at least. Because I believe that, I'm the guy in the nosebleeds trying to cheer my team back into rhythm.

EDIT: While I disagree with your position, I do respect your opinion, and I welcome you to the boards, Milano.

WBM
02-07-2014, 12:46 PM
The kennel is not quiet

And you can't expect grown adults to make constant noise for 2 hours.

Just curious if any of you have ever gone to or even watched another college game on tv?

I do not make constant noise for 2 hours, but I do cheer for my team when they do something good, or when they really need to find a way to do something good.

I watch a lot of college basketball on TV, and I'll admit it is primarily the student sections doing the constant cheering. I also watch a decent amount of NBA basketball, and I do often see a crowd (which does not have a student section) get on its feet to make some noise when their team is down a couple points and needs a bucket.

Zagceo
02-07-2014, 12:48 PM
What's the point of adults standing up and yelling and screaming during a moment when nothing is happening?

Imagine your kid falls down and struggles to get up and all the while you look at them dumbfounded!

Its about encouraging your kid to get back up and get into the game.

You are either positive and help or sit on your hands with indifference.

zagmantis2001
02-07-2014, 12:50 PM
Long time lurker, had to join just to respond to this thread. I read this forum mostly for the inside information/breaking news but had to post here.

It's not fair to demand fans to get up and scream and make a bunch of noise. That's not what sports is about. Maybe the whole 12th man stuff has clouded that fact but I don't know.

WCC games against inferior competition is hard to get amped up about. Gonzaga blew a big lead to a mediocre team. That's on them. Fans shouldn't be excited about that. Forgive us for not being excited about that and standing up and screaming for a poor performance. Give us something to cheer about and yell about and we will.

The team is responsible for it plain and simple. Enough of these threads knocking the fan base. It's stupid. Give us something to tell about. Fake, manufactured noise is lame

The amount of noise is not the primary issue. The primary issue is that the students failed to show up for the game in the first place. An entire section was completely devoid of any students. Tickets go on sale to the general public only if students don't take them. The problem isn't the complacency of the students that actually bothered to show up, its the ones that don't show.

Zagdawg
02-07-2014, 12:53 PM
On a positive note-- as a season ticket holder-- when I stand to cheer on the team -- the folks behind me stand also so they can see what the heck is going on -- it is the domino effect. Now if i can get from the top half of the lower bowl to the seat right off the court-- i can get something going (we can get all of the seatwarmers standing :) ).

gonzagafan62
02-07-2014, 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=MilanoRed;980582]The kennel is not quiet

Just curious if any of you have ever gone to or even watched another college game on tv? [QUOTE]

Did you even watch Arizona vs Oregon last night? Guess not? That ENTIRE place was rocking. EVERYONE was going bananas trying to will Arizona to victory and they did just that. You guys are smoking something if you don't think you can give an edge to the Zags. LOL!

gonzagafan62
02-07-2014, 12:56 PM
The kennel is not quiet

Just curious if any of you have ever gone to or even watched another college game on tv?

Did you even watch Arizona vs Oregon last night? Guess not? That ENTIRE place was rocking. EVERYONE was going bananas trying to will Arizona to victory and they did just that. You guys are smoking something if you don't think you can give an edge to the Zags. LOL! You are crazy.

Zagdawg
02-07-2014, 01:03 PM
Edit--- Still think as fans we can help out the team/Kennel club at the right times during the game with cheering as necessary.

gonzagafan62
02-07-2014, 01:03 PM
I guess my point is, the kennel is as good or better than any other arena in the county.,..... Your team blows a 20 point lead and all if a sudden you want us to make a bunch of noise? Sorry, that's for the KC and the players to figure out.

I digress. You don't get it. LOL! :explode:

cjm720
02-07-2014, 01:17 PM
Imagine your kid falls down and struggles to get up and all the while you look at them dumbfounded!

Its about encouraging your kid to get back up and get into the game.

You are either positive and help or sit on your hands with indifference.

+1

For the record, I'm strictly talking about the student section, the Kennel Club. I'm cool with season ticket holders sitting and making some noise here and there...

Zag 77
02-07-2014, 01:23 PM
The BYU fans rowdiness is explained by a secret that an LDS friend revealed to me.

They are all high on Hot Chocolate.:)

cjm720
02-07-2014, 01:29 PM
I'm listening to that Gary Parrish podcast (http://media.espn929.com/a/87151697/gary-parrish-show-2-6-14-hour-1-w-gonzaga-head-basketball-coach-mark-few.htm?) and he and his co-host are talking about how Memphis student section is sub-par and they need to show up. They're talking about who's responsibility it is to "show up" - very interest and on topic (about the 9 min mark or so).

gonzagafan62
02-07-2014, 01:37 PM
I've seen the kennel in big games...

You people expect the place to "rock" against an awful WCC opponent and will be disappointed.

You think Portland is awful? Hmmmm...

Zagceo
02-07-2014, 01:38 PM
I've seen the kennel in big games...

You people expect the place to "rock" against an awful WCC opponent and will be disappointed.

So now Portland which actually beat us is an awful opponent?

I would stop digging if I was you!

gonzagafan62
02-07-2014, 01:53 PM
They are not a very good team. They are not a rival. It was not a national game.

I think you guys are complaining about a whole lot of nothing

Shoulda stayed a lurker.

Zagceo
02-07-2014, 01:56 PM
They are not a very good team. They are not a rival. It was not a national game.

bart is that you?

TheGonzagaFactor
02-07-2014, 02:08 PM

There are only 30 games per year with less than 20 being at home. I don't see anything wrong with getting amped for each and every game.

cjm720
02-07-2014, 02:17 PM

Mark Few would call you "ignorant" then...just heard him say that to Gary Parrish in regard to losing a conference game and people complaining about a WCC loss. The gist: WCC is much better than most think.

BoZarth
02-07-2014, 02:31 PM
The crowd support is disappointing. Plain and simple. It just is.

Go Zags!!!!

cjm720
02-07-2014, 02:43 PM
Mark Few would never say anything bad about any team he plays nor should he. I'll let Portlands record and schedule speak for itself. This isn't about Portland. This is about the posters constantly complaining that fans aren't screaming and yelling thorough out the whole game. We cheer when necessary. The game dictates when you make noise, again the KC excluded

I don't get your logic, but we share the same thought :)

Zagceo
02-07-2014, 02:44 PM
Mark Few would never say anything bad about any team he plays nor should he. I'll let Portlands record and schedule speak for itself. This isn't about Portland. This is about the posters constantly complaining that fans aren't screaming and yelling thorough out the whole game. We cheer when necessary. The game dictates when you make noise, again the KC excluded

"We cheer when necessary" means cheering when the team is having trouble gaining momentum and sometime thats when its quiet like coming out of timeouts. Raise the energy thats what home court advantage means. Get drunk I mean buzzed and lose some inhibitions!