PDA

View Full Version : Big Game Breakdown: Gonzaga vs. Memphis

SWZag
02-06-2014, 06:58 AM
Big Game Breakdown: Gonzaga vs. Memphis (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10406811)

SWZag

Zagsker
02-06-2014, 07:08 AM
We are going to get exposed by Memphis...we are too slow on offense, defensively we can do it but that all depends on who is in and you know how that goes

Goshzagit
02-06-2014, 07:16 AM
We are going to get exposed by Memphis...we are too slow on offense, defensively we can do it but that all depends on who is in and you know how that goes

'nuff said. completely agree.

Hoopaholic
02-06-2014, 07:18 AM
I was confident before last nights game about memphis and our ability to play with them....after las t night I think we can hold our own defensively but offensively really concerns me against their athletic, quick defenders.......

I still have confidence that we can compete....I am just little more worried especially depending on substition patterns and abilities to stay within their prescribed roles

primal23
02-06-2014, 07:30 AM
GU loses by a minimum of 20+ points

Ekrub
02-06-2014, 07:53 AM
We need Karnowski to continue his dominance on D. Bell to play lock down D on The perimeter, and at least one guy to get hot from three. Barham seems to shoot best on the road and he has some experience playing there, so if anybody I'm guessing he is our guy.

DixieZag
02-06-2014, 07:56 AM
I don't think we have a prayer - - and the single worst part about it is, this is the first time that anyone has seen us since Wichita State, we'll go in ranked and get our ass kicked.

In some ways, it was probably good to have the spit scared out of us by Portland. It doesn't make us "worse" but it sure might take a little "puff" out of their chests and recommit to defensively getting it done, while hoping someone gets hot.

TheGonzagaFactor
02-06-2014, 07:57 AM
This game will be ugly. We do not match up well with Memphis. If we keep it somewhat competitive I will be happy.

RenoZag
02-06-2014, 08:19 AM
Man, I guess I shouldn't bother to set my DVR. . .taking the Mrs. out for her birthday on Saturday. . .was going to watch the game afterwards. Thanks for the scouting report.

SWZag
02-06-2014, 08:23 AM
Love the support of our team. It's beaming today.

Glad our team has a better mentality than its fans.

SWZag

Zagceo
02-06-2014, 08:26 AM
Imo we need to play hard defense and that means put them on the line and use our bench for fouls. They shoot 65% from FT line. We're going to be over matched athletically why not pick the players we want to see at the line. It also helps disrupt the flow of the game with the team and crowd. Its ugly but its one option!

Look at Crawford he shoots 40% from the arc but 55% from the FT line. I say press the arc and foul him when he drives!

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/ceo_500/Memphis_stats_zpsbb4446d4.png

webspinnre
02-06-2014, 08:29 AM
This is the game where we need big performances from guys like Kyle, Gerard and Angel.

LongIslandZagFan
02-06-2014, 08:31 AM
Why bother watching... we're ####ed.

gomemphistigers1
02-06-2014, 08:47 AM
Memphis hasn't had a big home win yet...we've lost to Cincy and UConn at FedExForum (back to back no less)...so Gonzaga has that going for them.

Should be a packed house Saturday.

meadgrad02
02-06-2014, 08:52 AM
Memphis just lost to SMU by 15 a week ago...! Yes it was away and yes it will be tough to beat them in the Forum, but jeez, let's have some hope people.

Zagceo
02-06-2014, 08:52 AM
Memphis hasn't had a big home win yet...we've lost to Cincy and UConn at FedExForum (back to back no less)...so Gonzaga has that going for them.

Should be a packed house Saturday.

gomemphis what do ya think of my crazy idea to foul your guys? Have you had any games like that this year?

What type of play has troubled your team?

15K screaming fans FEDX are going to be your 12th man!

MTZag03
02-06-2014, 08:53 AM
I would love to see us play better, tighter team ball on both ends. I'd like to see us finally beat a highly athletic team. I think the odds are very much against us on this one. I have a feeling the only way we can keep it close is threes. If GU plays like they have been, we will lose by a lot.

LongIslandZagFan
02-06-2014, 08:59 AM
Memphis just lost to SMU by 15 a week ago...! Yes it was away and yes it will be tough to beat them in the Forum, but jeez, let's have some hope people.

Screw that... no optimism allowed here. real fans assume the worst... or so we are told.

gomemphistigers1
02-06-2014, 09:04 AM
gomemphis what do ya think of my crazy idea to foul your guys? Have you had any games like that this year?

If you try and foul Josh will go 4-guard line up and tear you up...but in theory it could work at the end of the game.

Zone drives us crazy...we can't consistently hit the three.

More like 18,119 screaming fans :-)

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/mem/sports/m-baskbl/auto_wide_story/9141770.jpeg

Zagceo
02-06-2014, 09:06 AM
If you try and foul Josh will go 4-guard line up and tear you up...but in theory it could work at the end of the game.

Zone drives us crazy...we can't consistently hit the three.

More like 18,119 screaming fans :-)

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/mem/sports/m-baskbl/auto_wide_story/9141770.jpeg

Thanks...........I was hoping for some no shows because of weather. ;)

CDC84
02-06-2014, 09:33 AM
This is an example of a game where the small guard lineup will likely not work. If it does, I'll happily eat crow, but I just don't think Gonzaga can beat Memphis with a heavy dose of Pangos/Bell/Stockton on the floor. Gonzaga needs Dranginis in there for his defense. Memphis has a number of big, strong, powerful, athletic perimeters who could tear apart the small guard lineup.

The Zags need to go to Shem and Dower early and often. Memphis isn't all that powerful in the frontcourt. But the big guys must be decisive in their moves, and the guards solid with their entry passes. The Zags have to keep that team out of transition and keep their insane crowd out of the game. Fed Ex is going to be jacked up even more than usual with ESPN College Gameday and all that.

adoptedzag
02-06-2014, 09:34 AM
Thanks...........I was hoping for some no shows because of weather. ;)

brb, going to fly over memphis and seed the clouds.

cjm720
02-06-2014, 09:43 AM
Go zone and be hot from 3 and we have a chance.

hooter73
02-06-2014, 10:46 AM
Were going to get rolled with Nunez, Barham, KD and Coleman on the bench.

primal23
02-06-2014, 10:49 AM
Screw that... no optimism allowed here. real fans assume the worst... or so we are told.

Come on LIZF, there is ample room for both the positive and negative viewpoints. Some real fans assume the worst, some real fans assume the best.

Peace...

GoTigersGo
02-06-2014, 11:16 AM

I think it's a great idea.....here is who you need to foul. Joe Jackson, Geron Johnson and Michael Dixon....in that order. ;)

SteelZag
02-06-2014, 11:48 AM
In last night's game, the +/- stats showed KD, KP, GBJ, DB along with either big as the top performers. The top 3-pt shooters show those perimeter players along with SD. Oddly enough, those six players are our top rebounders as well. Bell and KD, along with Pangos provide good defense.

Amazingly, these lineups don't show up anywhere in NumberCruncher's analysis. Have I missed them playing together and their performance is so poor together as not being feasible?

gbnyba17
02-06-2014, 12:06 PM
Based on the tone of this thread, I feel really good about the outcome of this game on Saturday.

Zags - 71
Tigers - 69

Zagceo
02-06-2014, 01:05 PM
I think it's a great idea.....here is who you need to foul. Joe Jackson, Geron Johnson and Michael Dixon....in that order. ;)

How bout Nichols, Crawford, and Goodwin!

gomemphistigers1
02-06-2014, 01:10 PM
How bout Nichols, Crawford, and Goodwin!

Goodwin won't get minutes against Gonzaga...David Pellom should be at full speed Saturday.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-06-2014, 01:39 PM
If we play like we did against Portland, we'll be about as competitive as Payton Manning was on Sunday.

Pastner4Prez
02-06-2014, 01:45 PM
I don't know what the Memphis fan is talking about in this thread but we play good against zone. We beat Ok State and Louisville who go zone a good bit and went down to the wire with Florida who plays zone a lot. We just don't need our guards to go inside first instead of one on one. Get Nichols and Goodwin going is when we are successful.

Oregonzagnut
02-06-2014, 01:50 PM
I truly believe we will win in Memphis. The guys will see that defense must be adhered to for 40 minutes. It must be grueling and the thought of resting is natural. but the in game momentum is key and you have to build it with focus, heart and stamina. I think that is why halftimes are so hard for us. We get in the zone and it is hard to get back again immediately.

That momentum is just like a freight train. It took time to build up the momentum again to hit the shots. apparently it doesn't just appear in all 5 guys at once. It ebbs and wanes and when all 5 guys are on the same page and in synch, we dominate.

Few has to figure out how to maintain that through the half time talks and to hit the other teams hard right out of the gate in the 2nd half. We stood around and let them hit us hard and it took a whole quarter to get our senses back.

Zagceo
02-06-2014, 01:57 PM
I don't know what the Memphis fan is talking about in this thread but we play good against zone. We beat Ok State and Louisville who go zone a good bit and went down to the wire with Florida who plays zone a lot. We just don't need our guards to go inside first instead of one on one. Get Nichols and Goodwin going is when we are successful.

Sounds like disinformation from the other Memphis fan. Thanks we'll pass it along.;)

SteelZag
02-06-2014, 02:03 PM

Hard to tell. One post suggested fouling your top three FT shooters which would seem somewhat sarcastic. Another says 3 pt shooting is not consistent which by looking at stats seems to possibly be true.

BTB
02-06-2014, 02:07 PM
Apparently Joe Jackson has a pulled hip flexor. That can be a really painful injury but shouldn't limit him too much unless it's really bad.

Pastner4Prez
02-06-2014, 02:13 PM
It's not a serious injury but that is why we have depth and the system is design for all our guards to be able to run the offense

Pastner4Prez
02-06-2014, 02:15 PM

Losing to SMU isn't a bad thing this year. They have high level transfers and an influx of talent this year with Larry Brown in his second season there. They should be ranked if they beat Cincy this weekend.

zagfan24
02-06-2014, 02:19 PM
This is an example of a game where the small guard lineup will likely not work. If it does, I'll happily eat crow, but I just don't think Gonzaga can beat Memphis with a heavy dose of Pangos/Bell/Stockton on the floor. Gonzaga needs Dranginis in there for his defense. Memphis has a number of big, strong, powerful, athletic perimeters who could tear apart the small guard lineup.

The Zags need to go to Shem and Dower early and often. Memphis isn't all that powerful in the frontcourt. But the big guys must be decisive in their moves, and the guards solid with their entry passes. The Zags have to keep that team out of transition and keep their insane crowd out of the game. Fed Ex is going to be jacked up even more than usual with ESPN College Gameday and all that.

Agree that Dranginis needs to see major minutes, as does Nunez. I am actually worried about PK game...he's going to have to do a better job of holding onto the ball through contact. The other major thing to avoid will be lazy passes around the perimeter. Memphis does a nice job of getting into passing lanes and Zags cannot afford to give up easy transition buckets.

I think the Zags can win, but will need to show a high level of defensive intensity for 40 minutes and limit turnovers.

DixieZag
02-06-2014, 02:32 PM
We are a great 3 pt shooting team - I just can't remember the last time we buried a team on the road with 3 pointers - maybe Kevin at WVU, but we're behind most of that game so I'm not sure that's a great example.

Because we are so sketchy on the road from 3 - I think the only way we'll win is if they can't stop Dower, Karno to a lesser extent and Angel (how can we not play a guy named "Angel"?

I think we get noodled, Memphis 85 GU 74 - - hope I'm wrong.

Oregonzagnut
02-06-2014, 02:40 PM
Since this thread is linked on one of their boards, I figured I would link their thread on our board.

http://csnbbs.com/thread-675795.html

GoTigersGo
02-06-2014, 02:49 PM
Hard to tell. One post suggested fouling your top three FT shooters which would seem somewhat sarcastic. Another says 3 pt shooting is not consistent which by looking at stats seems to possibly be true.

That was me....I was playing. I have great respect for the Zags....my second favorite team.

GoTigersGo
02-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Apparently Joe Jackson has a pulled hip flexor. That can be a really painful injury but shouldn't limit him too much unless it's really bad.

Wait...WHAT?

Reborn
02-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Their fans seem pretty confident about winning, just as the Zag blogger who posted on their board seemed completely confident that the Zags would lose. There sure are many Zag fans posting here who are pretty sure the Zags will lose. I'm glad I'm not one of them.

titopoet
02-06-2014, 03:21 PM
I am not sure anyone mentioned this, but the key will be GU Bigs. Memphis has a problem matching up with Karno. You are asking a lot for Goodwin or Nichols to match up with Karno, Woodson would be a option, but not a very good one. Dower can match up with Nichols or Goodwin or the if GU bigs stay out of foul trouble, especially Karno, Tigers have some problems. We need Angel and Coleman to come up big and if they can provide minutes, GU can match the tigers athletically, but if Karno comes the Tigers lack the size to match up (with Woodson being the exception, but if Woodson has to be used a lot, I like Zags' chances.

Karno, this is your game.

primal23
02-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Their fans seem pretty confident about winning, just as the Zag blogger who posted on their board seemed completely confident that the Zags would lose. There sure are many Zag fans posting here who are pretty sure the Zags will lose. I'm glad I'm not one of them.

Well if they saw the 2nd half of last nights game....

Pastner4Prez
02-06-2014, 03:41 PM
I am not sure anyone mentioned this, but the key will be GU Bigs. Memphis has a problem matching up with Karno. You are asking a lot for Goodwin or Nichols to match up with Karno, Woodson would be a option, but not a very good one. Dower can match up with Nichols or Goodwin or the if GU bigs stay out of foul trouble, especially Karno, Tigers have some problems. We need Angel and Coleman to come up big and if they can provide minutes, GU can match the tigers athletically, but if Karno comes the Tigers lack the size to match up (with Woodson being the exception, but if Woodson has to be used a lot, I like Zags' chances.

Karno, this is your game.

You have to stop Shaq Goodwin too. He is our second leading scorer and top rebounder. He has already played against solid big men this year including Patric Young of Florida

Reborn
02-06-2014, 03:46 PM
Well if they saw the 2nd half of last nights game....

I had the sense that they feel Gonzaga is a step below them. Not just this team but in general. I know that they have beaten Gonzaga most of the time, but Memphis is no longer coached by Coach Cal. I think they base their opinions of this years team on who we have played, and how Gonzaga is way under the radar this year. No one one on ESPN ever talks about them. I am glad though. Im glad to see how confident they are. I just believe that Gonzaga is going to surprise a lot of people Saturday, including a lot of Gonzaga fans. I could certainly be wrong though. But I may be right.

primal23
02-06-2014, 03:47 PM
I had the sense that they feel Gonzaga is a step below them. Not just this team but in general. I know that they have beaten Gonzaga most of the time, but Memphis is no longer coached by Coach Cal. I think they base their opinions of this years team on who we have played, and how Gonzaga is way under the radar this year. No one one on ESPN ever talks about them. I am glad though. Im glad to see how confident they are. I just believe that Gonzaga is going to surprise a lot of people Saturday, including a lot of Gonzaga fans. I could certainly be wrong though. But I may be right.

Ahh, I understand what you meant now. And I VERY MUCH hope you are right in who comes out with a W.

Pastner4Prez
02-06-2014, 03:53 PM
We aren't sleeping on you. You are ranked and it will help with our resume. Our team seems to play well against ranked teams this year excluding the first Ok State matchup.

ZagsGoZags
02-06-2014, 04:03 PM
Why bother watching... we're ####ed.

I will predict with my heart, not my head. I predict we will win by two points.

titopoet
02-06-2014, 04:09 PM
You have to stop Shaq Goodwin too. He is our second leading scorer and top rebounder. He has already played against solid big men this year including Patric Young of Florida

True, but asking him to match up with a 300 lbs 7 footer with skills is a lot to ask. Patrick Young is good, but not as a tough match up. I hope Karno goes a little more than his hook. He has a drop step. I think Pastner will have to double Karno which could open up the threes from outside.

titopoet
02-06-2014, 04:13 PM

That maybe ESPN and the fan base, not the Tiger players and coaches. They know it will be a dogfight.

CdAZagFan
02-06-2014, 04:16 PM
I think they base their opinions of this years team on who we have played, and how Gonzaga is way under the radar this year. No one one on ESPN ever talks about them. I am glad though. Im glad to see how confident they are. I just believe that Gonzaga is going to surprise a lot of people Saturday, including a lot of Gonzaga fans. I could certainly be wrong though. But I may be right.

After last season's disappointment, I was looking forward to the good old days of slipping under the radar and slaying higher-ranked dragons in OOC or Tourney matchups. Although I was down a little after last night's 2nd half performance, I feel like the upcoming game against Memphis - as well as the NCAA tourney - may present more of those upset opportunities. Somehow, someway they seem to find ways to pull out victories that don't seem possible. Memphis is one of those opportunities - Go get it Zags!

GrizZAG
02-06-2014, 04:18 PM
Zags have played athletic teams all year that can and do shoot the 3. I say this game is up for grabs completely because this Zag team when hitting on all cylinders is a load. A very big load. Yes we have NOT hit on all cylinders at times but this team never gives up and I give them better chances than some of you. WCC is not the pushover some think it is, just that our fellow WCC teams are not on the big stage enough, so we shall see. Zags need this one for our conference.
Shem needs to keep ball high and not bring it down on the high pass. We need Dranginis more and the game will go as our Pangos goes. The team plays so much more confident when he is on the floor.

GoTigersGo
02-06-2014, 04:28 PM

You couldn't be more wrong on this one.

Reborn
02-06-2014, 04:31 PM
We aren't sleeping on you. You are ranked and it will help with our resume. Our team seems to play well against ranked teams this year excluding the first Ok State matchup.

I wasn't talking about you but was talking about the members of your BOARD. I didn't see a whole lot of respect for GU by most of your bloggers.

I see that you lost to UCONN, Florida and Cincinnatti, and beat Louisville. 1-3 to ranked teams is good? And two of the three losses were at home and the other on a neutral court. I took a look at the rest of your conference (not including Louisville, UCONN, and Cincinnatti). I wanted to see how Memphis would look like with teams that would be comparable to teams in our conference. And I looked at just the last ten games of both your teams and ours. I did not include BYU or Saint Marys. I wanted to compare defenses because there is a common opinion on our board that Memphis plays great defense and will completely shut down GU because of your super athleticism. The teams Memphis played averaged 69.8 ppg and the teams GU played averaged 63.

There is a big argument that the difference is SOS because you have some real good teams in your conference. That was why I chose to not include them in the analysis. When you actually look at the rest of the teams in your conference you look quite a bit like ours. You have SMU ranked around 40 in the RPI and we have BYU. After that you have USF ranked 133rd in the RPI, Temple 175, Houston 178, Rutgers 201, and UCF 202. Gonzaga has San Francisco with an RPI of 89, Pacific 97, Pepperdine 129, Loyola Marymount 137, Portland 154 and San Diego 154.

I think BOTH teams play very good defense. And in my opinion I think Gonzaga plays better defense this year than most pundits give them credit for. I think this is our best defensive team ever. The teams are ranked 23rd and 24rh, and imo they are that close to being very similar teams, and both are very good teams imo and worthy of their national ranking. I'm not saying Gonzaga will beat Memphis. You guys will be very difficult to beat. However, imo Gonzaga is good enough to beat them and I believe they will on Saturday. Thanks for joinging our discussion here on GUBoards. Nice meeting you.

Go Zags!!!

GPGUgrad
02-06-2014, 04:32 PM
You couldn't be more wrong on this one.

Looking forward to our games.

I always root for you guys when not playing us.

I think this will be a good game to see how good we are.

Hope that our series continue.

Pastner4Prez
02-06-2014, 04:49 PM
I am pretty sure Pastner will throw Woodson your seven footer in spurts but Shaq is a high motor player to begin with he still has that football player mentality so he will give his all when matched up. You just have to hope the game doesn't become a track meet because that is where Shaq and Austin excel. Shaq is also quick on his feet for a big. It will be a fun matchup.

Our weakness is really at the small forward. We are still trying to develop the freshmen on the team. If you have a legit 3 player than we get exposed some like Deandre Daniels of UConn or Casey Prather for Florida did to us.

BTB
02-06-2014, 05:12 PM
I am pretty sure Pastner will throw Woodson your seven footer in spurts but Shaq is a high motor player to begin with he still has that football player mentality so he will give his all when matched up. You just have to hope the game doesn't become a track meet because that is where Shaq and Austin excel. Shaq is also quick on his feet for a big. It will be a fun matchup.

Our weakness is really at the small forward. We are still trying to develop the freshmen on the team. If you have a legit 3 player than we get exposed some like Deandre Daniels of UConn or Casey Prather for Florida did to us.

Our 6th man Kyle Dranginis is our best 3. Several people here believe he is our best all-around player (he truly is very good at every aspect of the game) but as only a sophomore he has not yet developed a killer instinct to assert himself.

LongIslandZagFan
02-07-2014, 06:59 AM
We present such a good image on other boards:

From a Memphis board:

Post: #2 (http://csnbbs.com/thread-675795-post-10392150.html#pid10392150)
Zags thought on big matchup
Holy crap they are down in their team!

Yeah... We've become such a happy bunch here. I guess this is the worst 3 loss team GU has ever seen. Heck, they might be the worst GU team ever.

SWZag
02-07-2014, 07:13 AM
We present such a good image on other boards:

From a Memphis board:

Zags thought on big matchup
Yeah... We've become such a happy bunch here. I guess this is the worst 3 loss team GU has ever seen. Heck, they might be the worst GU team ever.

What happened to the Happy Olden' days of a few/several/many years ago? It's like this winter freeze has taken the life out of the GU fans. Huge letdown after Seattle won the Super Bowl or what? Are expectations far too high now? Are people really not satisfied if we don't win every game by 20? Is the board full of a bunch of band-wagoners that can't handle adversity? What is the issue lately? Doesn't make sense.

Like I said earlier, I'm glad the players have a positive outlook and will do their best.

Zagdawg
02-07-2014, 07:17 AM
The negative nancy disease is contagious----- don't catch it --the penicillin won't help.

Go Zags

LongIslandZagFan
02-07-2014, 07:35 AM
What happened to the Happy Olden' days of a few/several/many years ago? It's like this winter freeze has taken the life out of the GU fans. Huge letdown after Seattle won the Super Bowl or what? Are expectations far too high now? Are people really not satisfied if we don't win every game by 20? Is the board full of a bunch of band-wagoners that can't handle adversity? What is the issue lately? Doesn't make sense.

Like I said earlier, I'm glad the players have a positive outlook and will do their best.

SW... it has been a constant steady slide down to this. You question the negativity they have a conniption fit. So you stop questioning it Then we end up with threads saying how much this 3 loss team sucks and shouldn't even board the plane to Memphis as they have no chance of even being in the game let alone winning... and we do nothing about it. We just look bunch of sorry fans to people on the outside. Again... to quote a complete outsider:

I guess that means the negatives win.

Congrats.

I think I'll just stick to the Foo and occasionally reading here.

dnj116
02-07-2014, 08:02 AM

That was me on their boards. I like to read opposing teams' message boards, and from time to time comment. I felt I was actually pretty objective, and if you actually read my comment, I merely express my own personal outlook for winning:

I certainly wouldn't bet on Gonzaga winning this one, but I also don't doubt they can pull it off.

While I stand by statement that I don't think we'll win, I DO think we have a chance. A lot of talk about negativity, etc., but what is wrong with people stating they don't expect a win in this game?? That doesn't mean I won't be cheering for the Zags to win the full 40 minutes. Yes, we've only lost 3 games, and its been a successful season thus far. However, we are playing a very athletic team in their house, and based on recent performances, I think its completely reasonable for Zag fans to not necessarily expect a win in this game.

We're still fans, but seriously, would you throw down money on this one? That is what I'm saying, and I don't see anything "wrong" in that. You may expect a win, I do not. Regardless, we will both be hoping for a win. Carry on...

gamagin
02-07-2014, 08:15 AM
I think this is an ideal opportunity to get t.f. Out of the WCC rat ball games for a few days and see how we can play like a real team, be the spoilers and be fully conscious of the larger playground and nationwide, curious & largely supportive t.v. audience.

I mean, how can we really lose the love? We beat or lose to a team ranked just one number from us. THAT is not motivation.

The stage, the eyeballs, the tradition and the rivalry! However ARE enough to make this an instant classic. It's one of those moments in which each player can see, once again, why they came to GU -- to compete at or near the highest levels. In front of the whole world. Or so it seems.

We need to play D & O like we did vs. BYU and we need to play O like Portland taught us -- twice -- we HAVE to play: for ALL 40 minutes. Time to celebrate those lessons learned that with a butt kicking, or a war for the ages. Or both.

And have fun breaking some hearts in Memphis and Toledo, and everywhere, in the process. It is time.

primal23
02-07-2014, 08:23 AM
SW... it has been a constant steady slide down to this. You question the negativity they have a conniption fit. So you stop questioning it Then we end up with threads saying how much this 3 loss team sucks and shouldn't even board the plane to Memphis as they have no chance of even being in the game let alone winning... and we do nothing about it. We just look bunch of sorry fans to people on the outside. Again... to quote a complete outsider:

I guess that means the negatives win.

Congrats.

I think I'll just stick to the Foo and occasionally reading here.

I only question is if it's still alright to have a different opinion? I love the Zags, I love this team. I also feel that they aren't playing well. I think in what I have seen of Memphis, and what the Zags have shown lately that this will not be a close game. Am I not allowed, or should be forced to refrain from having this opinion? I think there should be room for all opinions on this board, positive and negative. Heck, Reborn is one of my favorite posters on this board, and he has a VERY positive opinion of the team. I love reading his posts, and although I may not agree with his interpretation, it's well thought out and reasoned.

I also admit, part of my pessimism is just my personality. I am a glass half empty type in all walks of life. Finding the dark cloud on every silver lining, it's probably cause by my depression and anxiety and just plain who I am. I try not to come down on people, or players but I know I have been guilty of it from time to time.

Maybe there is more negativity this year, last year was a huge amount of highs, #1 ranking #1 seed. And maybe some of it has to do with the "weaker" schedule. I dunno but that's my 2 cents, take it or leave it or just add me to the ignore lol

Peace

dnj116
02-07-2014, 08:31 AM
I think this is an ideal opportunity to get t.f. Out of the WCC rat ball games for a few days and see how we can play like a real team, be the spoilers and be fully conscious of the larger playground and nationwide, curious & largely supportive t.v. audience.

I mean, how can we really lose the love? We beat or lose to a team ranked just one number from us. THAT is not motivation.

The stage, the eyeballs, the tradition and the rivalry! However ARE enough to make this an instant classic. It's one of those moments in which each player can see, once again, why they came to GU -- to compete at or near the highest levels. In front of the whole world. Or so it seems.

We need to play D & O like we did vs. BYU and we need to play O like Portland taught us -- twice -- we HAVE to play: for ALL 40 minutes. Time to celebrate those lessons learned that with a butt kicking, or a war for the ages. Or both.

And have fun breaking some hearts in Memphis and Toledo, and everywhere, in the process. It is time.

Great post! Hope we rise to the occasion.

LongIslandZagFan
02-07-2014, 08:38 AM
I only question is if it's still alright to have a different opinion? I love the Zags, I love this team. I also feel that they aren't playing well. I think in what I have seen of Memphis, and what the Zags have shown lately that this will not be a close game. Am I not allowed, or should be forced to refrain from having this opinion? I think there should be room for all opinions on this board, positive and negative. Heck, Reborn is one of my favorite posters on this board, and he has a VERY positive opinion of the team. I love reading his posts, and although I may not agree with his interpretation, it's well thought out and reasoned.

I also admit, part of my pessimism is just my personality. I am a glass half empty type in all walks of life. Finding the dark cloud on every silver lining, it's probably cause by my depression and anxiety and just plain who I am. I try not to come down on people, or players but I know I have been guilty of it from time to time.

Maybe there is more negativity this year, last year was a huge amount of highs, #1 ranking #1 seed. And maybe some of it has to do with the "weaker" schedule. I dunno but that's my 2 cents, take it or leave it or just add me to the ignore lol

Peace

My response would be... 3 losses. Yes, people can have differing positions. But if you create a massive mound of ####... don't expect people to want to come see it. Right now... this board has been just that. Negativity and people complaining that they can't be negative.

Enjoy. Me... Think I'm just going to monitor and that is it. This board leaves a bad taste in my mouth way too often.

primal23
02-07-2014, 08:44 AM
My response would be... 3 losses. Yes, people can have differing positions. But if you create a massive mound of ####... don't expect people to want to come see it. Right now... this board has been just that. Negativity and people complaining that they can't be negative.

Enjoy. Me... Think I'm just going to monitor and that is it. This board leaves a bad taste in my mouth way too often.

Fair enough, and understood.

Peace

titopoet
02-07-2014, 09:01 AM
Fair enough, and understood.

Peace

GU has faced good athletes already. Arkansas has as many athletes as Memphis. (Though Memphis' guys are far more skilled.) Memphis has yet to face as big a frontline as Karno and Dower. If those two stay out of foul problems, it will be a close game. If our guys are hot from outside, it Zag's game.

I think after last season, most here have internalized the doubts of the sports public. Remember, believe, and know the zags are one of the top teams in the country. Panogs, Bell, and Stocks form one of the best Backcourts in the country and the Bigs present problems for any team. Remember the WCC is better than MWC according the Kenpom and most ratings. Play inside out and they might lose, but they will not be blown out. I like our chances.

Karno Time.

jagwalkley
02-07-2014, 09:06 AM
you just hit the nail on the head.

Zagceo
02-07-2014, 09:12 AM
But if you create a massive mound of ####... don't expect people to want to come see it.

Why are people so thinned skinned? If you have a rule to only be positive that will make this place a very boring board! You are unhappy because people are to negative but yet people have run Jazz out for being to negative. Sounds to me like people need to stop acting like this basketball team is something other than a basketball team. Its not personal its entertainment.

But go ahead LIZF take your ball and go home because people have an opinion thats different.

Oh and I don't care what some other board thinks of our board. They admitted in the same thread that they act the same way when their team plays poorly!

3 losses is great..........but if we lower our expectations how can we raise our results! I love our team but do you only allow Few to criticize our team behind closed doors? No one else is allowed to speak ill of the team?

To all the friends and family on this board please do yourself a favor stop reading posts from people that annoy you. Thats what the ignore list is for!

Rant over. Have a nice day. : )

gonzagafan62
02-07-2014, 09:34 AM
Myron Medcalf's prediction from ESPN:

No. 23 Gonzaga at No. 24 Memphis, 9 p.m. ET, ESPN: At the beginning of the year, this appeared to be a much sexier meeting between a pair of programs who’ve gone mainstream despite their mid-major status. It’s still intriguing. The Kevin Pangos-Joe Jackson and Shaq Goodwin-Sam Dower matchups would be ideal pairings. But Gonzaga didn't acquire any top-25 wins during the nonconference season, and it suffered a loss to Portland in league play. The West Coast Conference’s overall decline has affected Gonzaga’s national reputation and its bracketology (27th in the BPI) standing. The Zags could use a win over a Memphis team that suffered a 15-point road loss to SMU last weekend, but the Tigers have been solid as defenders of the arc thus far (31.1 percent allowed from the 3-point line in American play). And they shoot well, too (38 percent from beyond the arc in conference play). Their athletic, turnover-forcing (13th in defensive turnover rate per Ken Pomeroy) perimeter players, however, will be the difference in this game.

Prediction: Memphis 80, Gonzaga 74

----

I think people are underestimating us a bit too much. Yes I also predict we will lose, but if everyone predicts us to lose, maybe there is a bit of hope we can toast to before the game, in hopes of a victory, or we can just do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwfeXHRWsHE

Guess what ya'll? We ain't leavin here without a victory! We ain't leavin here without a victory! So ya'll, eh! My brotha's! Put a smile on your face. Because Gonzaga! So if we gunna do it, We do it big!

Kong-Kool-Aid
02-07-2014, 09:36 AM
You guys are insane, we are a worse matchup for them than they are for us.

Zone, zone, and more zone... Sorry Coleman people and then we abuse them inside.

A lot will depend on the officieting crew, if it isn't WCC officials maybe they won't call of the ticky tacky stuff that we are getting accustomed to.
But they do not matchup inside with our size, we will be able to abuse them down low after which the open looks will come outside.

As long as we aren't throwing up bricks all game, we will get our chances... and a scare from Portland is exactly what the doctor ordered to get the team refocussed.

Hooplife18
02-07-2014, 09:46 AM

No. 23 Gonzaga at No. 24 Memphis, 9 p.m. ET, ESPN: At the beginning of the year, this appeared to be a much sexier meeting between a pair of programs who’ve gone mainstream despite their mid-major status. It’s still intriguing. The Kevin Pangos-Joe Jackson and Shaq Goodwin-Sam Dower matchups would be ideal pairings. But Gonzaga didn't acquire any top-25 wins during the nonconference season, and it suffered a loss to Portland in league play. The West Coast Conference’s overall decline has affected Gonzaga’s national reputation and its bracketology (27th in the BPI) standing. The Zags could use a win over a Memphis team that suffered a 15-point road loss to SMU last weekend, but the Tigers have been solid as defenders of the arc thus far (31.1 percent allowed from the 3-point line in American play). And they shoot well, too (38 percent from beyond the arc in conference play). Their athletic, turnover-forcing (13th in defensive turnover rate per Ken Pomeroy) perimeter players, however, will be the difference in this game.

Prediction: Memphis 80, Gonzaga 74

----

I think people are underestimating us a bit too much. Yes I also predict we will lose, but if everyone predicts us to lose, maybe there is a bit of hope we can toast to before the game, in hopes of a victory, or we can just do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwfeXHRWsHE

Guess what ya'll? We ain't leavin here without a victory! We ain't leavin here without a victory! So ya'll, eh! My brotha's! Put a smile on your face. Because Gonzaga! So if we gunna do it, We do it big!

For the life of me, I can't understand why most people think the term "mid-major" is given to programs NOT in power conferences. The actual terms "mid-major" and "high-major" actually have to do with things such as budget, fan support, facilities, boosters, etc. Things like that. And in all categories, Memphis is well above the line to be called a "high-major". Memphis is actually well above the majority of "power 5" programs when it comes to what I mentioned. I can't speak for Gonzaga, for I am not aware of you all's facilities, budget, etc. But by the true definition of "high-major", Memphis has been there for a while.

gonzagafan62
02-07-2014, 09:47 AM
You guys are insane, we are a worse matchup for them than they are for us.

Zone, zone, and more zone... Sorry Coleman people and then we abuse them inside.

A lot will depend on the officieting crew, if it isn't WCC officials maybe they won't call of the ticky tacky stuff that we are getting accustomed to.
But they do not matchup inside with our size, we will be able to abuse them down low after which the open looks will come outside.

As long as we aren't throwing up bricks all game, we will get our chances... and a scare from Portland is exactly what the doctor ordered to get the team refocussed.

This could be very true. I am getting more ambitious for this matchup

Hooplife18
02-07-2014, 09:48 AM

If you are getting this feeling from looking at Memphistigers.org, then that's why. Stay away from those crazies ha! The people saying this, if you asked them their reasoning, they would say, "look at all time tournament resumes." Because (and I mean absolutely no disrespect by this) when comparing both team's all time tournament resumes, they really aren't that close. But even despite that, most Tiger fans view Gonzaga as a "sister program." A lot alike in many ways. Which is why I think it is so important for this rivalry to continue and for both teams to become perennial top 15 programs year in and year out. (And please do not take my tournament resume comment as a backhanded insult/slap! because it was not at all!)

WRHUradio
02-07-2014, 09:52 AM
Great thread, I think everyone is being very fair and honest here.

Saying up front- I have not seen Memphis play this year, so this is all based on the Memphis-type team(s) Gonzaga has faced this year and what's happened in the past.

In no particular order, keys to success...
-Do not be afraid to attack the rim. Typically whenever the Zags have played these kinds of non-caucasian super athletic teams, they get a number of their shots blocked, and get discouraged. You have to keep attacking and not settle for taking contested tough jumpers, floaters and leaners. I always felt like the Zags more than other games always got intimidated by Memphis in the past shot blocking and dunking.

-DEFENSIVE REBOUNDING. Anyone want to bet the Zags play zone 100%? Can they hold Memphis to 9 Offensive Rebounds and under? That would be a tremendous number.
Then it becomes about maniacal effort getting loose balls. I can already see Goodwin and others just cleaning up on the offensive glass. I think the Zags will be OK on first-shot defense. 2nd and 3rd chances is where I think Memphis can destroy them.
I wonder what Memphis fans think of their teams shot selection this year?

-David Stockton is a tremendous story, I've always felt that he is a solid and effective player against 85% and even up to 95% of the teams in the country annually. This looks like it could be one of those tough games where if it looks like he is turning it over and getting stuck in the lane getting swatted or not a threat from 3 then I think Few needs to have a quick hook with him. Nothing against David but in so many ways Dranginis/Nunez/Coleman might fit in better rather than Stockton playing 30 mins.
David is generally very poised with the ball but I'm not sure if he can finish in the lane vs Memphis as opposed to the other 3 and then defensively while he is very good at digging down and getting steals KD and Nunez' length might bring more consistent effectiveness.
Floor spacing could be massive and I am wondering about Barham seeing some good minutes at the 3 as well for extending the defense. When David is on the floor except for how he just played vs Portland opponents see his 3pt % and his reputation and say "we're leaving you wide open you cant do 3-4 from 3 again, and you cant drive the lane to score vs our guys either" ......I think the way this principle idea is going has to be monitored by Few closely and then he makes a decision to go to the other guys at this spot for extended time.
Thinking about it more I think Barham could be a major difference maker, you hope he can shoot well here because he's played at Fedex, I'm sure is gonna be highly motivated, and you have to honor him and he stretches the floor and that makes Dower/PK better inside.

-Sam Dower Want him to also post inside and drive more as he did vs Portland and get to the line, he's an outstanding jump shooter but this cant be a game where Gonzaga attempts 50 jumpers and just 10 drives.
-PK I worry about him hanging his head after getting his shot blocked a couple times early, he needs his most physically intense and aggressive game. On the dump downs I love when he holds the ball high and makes quick decisions. I'm thinking Memphis will single-team him initially and then double when he puts the ball on the floor, so the number 1 key is PK getting quick deep position like Josh H and JP Batista always did (PK usually does too) and the guards getting him the ball super fast in the shot clock, PK will be able to shoot over their guys if he varies his moves and doesnt wait to do them before the double comes.

-Giving up 5 dunks....Typically we remember Memphis always having like 5 dunks in the game, I feel like the team's energy cannot get sucked out, in the past I think even the best Zag teams got demoralized when seeing all these dunks. They have to be mentally tougher than any other game this year. This year's team has not playing the typically super tough OOC Zags teams do, so I'm not sure how ready they are for this.

I think the Zags CAN win but will probably be 8pt underdogs in Vegas. A win at Memphis would be the best win of the season

CDC84
02-07-2014, 10:00 AM
For the life of me, I can't understand why most people think the term "mid-major" is given to programs NOT in power conferences. The actual terms "mid-major" and "high-major" actually have to do with things such as budget, fan support, facilities, boosters, etc. Things like that. And in all categories, Memphis is well above the line to be called a "high-major". Memphis is actually well above the majority of "power 5" programs when it comes to what I mentioned. I can't speak for Gonzaga, for I am not aware of you all's facilities, budget, etc. But by the true definition of "high-major", Memphis has been there for a while.

Beyond what you have said, the fact that Memphis now plays in a league with the likes of UConn, Louisville, Cincinnati, etc., makes the tag even more ridiculous that it aleady was.

Even though we don't have football money, Gonzaga pays its coaches at the high major level, the team has its own plane (which many high majors don't have), the arena and training facilties maybe smaller but are first class in every way, they have total control over their non-league scheduling, they have a multi-million buck TV contract with Root Sports, they have more games on ESPN than but a few programs, and while they can't recruit at the blueblood level, they still regularly bring in players who would be playing for power conference programs if they didn't choose Gonzaga. It's a label that is outdated and fails to understand that unlike in football, basketball programs can transcend their conference affiliation. Everytime a Gonzaga or Memphis (even more so) gets labeled a mid major, it leads to athletic directors in the Sun Belt and OVC firing coaches for not performing at the same level. It's bad for college basketball.

Hooplife18
02-07-2014, 10:05 AM
Beyond what you have said, the fact that Memphis now plays in a league with the likes of UConn, Louisville, Cincinnati, etc., makes the tag even more ridiculous that it aleady was.

Even though we don't have football money, Gonzaga pays its coaches at the high major level, the team has its own plane (which many high majors don't have), the arena and training facilties maybe smaller but are first class in every way, they have total control over their non-league scheduling, they have a multi-million buck TV contract with Root Sports, they have more games on ESPN than but a few programs, and while they can't recruit at the blueblood level, they still regularly bring in players who would be playing for power conference programs if they didn't choose Gonzaga. It's a label that is outdated and fails to understand that unlike in football, basketball programs can transcend their conference affiliation. Everytime a Memphis (who is even more high major than Gonzaga) or Gonzaga gets labeled a mid major, it leads to athletic directors in the Sun Belt and OVC firing coaches for not performing at the same level. It's bad for college basketball.

Fantastic post! Media talking heads ruin so much in college athletics. Backhanded comments, un-true labels, agendas, etc. It's ridiculous.

gonzagafan62
02-07-2014, 10:07 AM
Fantastic post! Media talking heads ruin so much in college athletics. Backhanded comments, un-true labels, agendas, etc. It's ridiculous.

100% agree with all of this. +1. Thanks for posting.

basketballzag
02-07-2014, 10:44 AM
Gonzaga 85 Memphis 63. This is the game the Zags circled back in November as the must win game of the year. Pangos needs to come ready to play and Bell needs to be assertive but remember this will be a personal game for Drew Barham and he will be playing the best game of his GU career on Saturday.

75Zag
02-07-2014, 11:08 AM
Memphis game is College Game Day for ESPN. If GU can pull out a win it could really help their national poll standing and perhaps NCAA seeding and location. I hope the Bulldogs bring their best game and don't get intimidated by the crowd or the refs. If we can keep within 6 points at the half it should be a very exciting finish.

Go Bulldogs!

BULLDOG#1
02-07-2014, 12:20 PM
The way this particular zag team shoots, it is capable of beating any team in the country.... they could also lose games they should win... but still, I don't know why anyone would think they wouldn't have a fighting chance against a quality opponent on the road.

Personally, I'm waiting for the game where Pangos, Bell, Drang, and Barham are ALL raining 3's. It would be nice if that happened on GameDay and on the road.

primal23
02-07-2014, 12:22 PM
ESPN College basketball podcast predictions:

Andy Katz - GU
Seth Greenburg - Memphis

Chi-townTiger
02-07-2014, 02:06 PM
Why are people so thinned skinned? If you have a rule to only be positive that will make this place a very boring board! You are unhappy because people are to negative but yet people have run Jazz out for being to negative. Sounds to me like people need to stop acting like this basketball team is something other than a basketball team. Its not personal its entertainment.

But go ahead LIZF take your ball and go home because people have an opinion thats different.

Oh and I don't care what some other board thinks of our board. They admitted in the same thread that they act the same way when their team plays poorly!

3 losses is great..........but if we lower our expectations how can we raise our results! I love our team but do you only allow Few to criticize our team behind closed doors? No one else is allowed to speak ill of the team?

To all the friends and family on this board please do yourself a favor stop reading posts from people that annoy you. Thats what the ignore list is for!

Rant over. Have a nice day. : )

You guys are nothing compared to us. It's the liberals vs the conservatives. The peanut butter vs the jelly. The North vs the South. We can't agree the sky is blue. Actually its more of a Cerulean blue. lol

Seriously, I'm nervous about tomorrow. We cannot defend the three. Our guards have a tendency to let too many teams drive the lane getting our bigs in foul trouble. Our bigs don't defend at all at times (Maybe Pellom).

We are good at forcing turnovers and running. If you can take care of the ball and get back on D, you'll force us to play half court. "We's ain't real good running an offense since our coach doesn't think thats important". Ya see he would rather his players figure it out on their own. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

I'm a Nancy Negative at our place.

Zagceo
02-07-2014, 02:10 PM
You guys are nothing compared to us. It's the liberals vs the conservatives. The peanut butter vs the jelly. The North vs the South. We can't agree the sky is blue. Actually its more of a Cerulean blue. lol

Seriously, I'm nervous about tomorrow. We cannot defend the three. Our guards have a tendency to let too many teams drive the lane getting our bigs in foul trouble. Our bigs don't defend at all at times (Maybe Pellom).

We are good at forcing turnovers and running. If you can take care of the ball and get back on D, you'll force us to play half court. "We's ain't real good running an offense since our coach doesn't think thats important". Ya see he would rather his players figure it out on their own. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

Welcome Nancy I'm not sure how the double negative will play on our board. I guess two negatives make a positive so you should be welcome by the positives. ; )

Chi-townTiger
02-07-2014, 02:17 PM
Welcome Nancy I'm not sure how the double negative will play on our board. I guess two negatives make a positive so you should be welcome by the positives. ; )

It's all in fun. Sometimes its best for all of us to just step back once in a while. Anyway, good luck tomorrow. One thing we all agree on at the MTO is your team and fan base are without a doubt first class. I'll be rooting for you guys.......after tomorrow of course.

Zagceo
02-07-2014, 02:20 PM
We cannot defend the three. Our guards have a tendency to let too many teams drive the lane getting our bigs in foul trouble. Our bigs don't defend at all at times (Maybe Pellom).

We are good at forcing turnovers and running. If you can take care of the ball and get back on D, you'll force us to play half court.

OK we can shoot the three at home on the road not so consistent.

We can drive the lane but sometimes we miss a lot of bunnies.

Our bigs can score but sometimes disappear in games.

We don't usually turn the ball over excessively.

We do get back on defense and play hard half court defense all the time.

Zagceo
02-07-2014, 02:22 PM
It's all in fun. Sometimes its best for all of us to just step back once in a while. Anyway, good luck tomorrow. One thing we all agree on at the MTO is your team and fan base are without a doubt first class. I'll be rooting for you guys.......after tomorrow of course.

agree 100% Go Memphis Feb 9th and beyond!

jpwils
02-07-2014, 02:38 PM
Seniors for Gonzaga and all VETS need to man-up for this game and LEAD.

ALL BIGS need to set a tone...Coleman and Nunez- you guys are up, baby!!

Stockton will have his finest game as a Zag.

maynard g krebs
02-07-2014, 03:26 PM
Look at Crawford he shoots 40% from the arc but 55% from the FT line. I say press the arc and foul him when he drives!

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac342/ceo_500/Memphis_stats_zpsbb4446d4.png

Crawford has taken 18 ft's all year and made 10. Statistically insignificant %. 119 of his 166 fg attempts are 3's. That says he catches and shoots, or gives it up if the shot isn't there. Doesn't sound like a guy you can force to drive.

GoTigersGo
02-07-2014, 06:11 PM

Yes, you are.....guess who? :enraged:

GoTigersGo
02-07-2014, 06:13 PM
Good interview with Drew.....here is to a great game with no injuries. GTG!!!!

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/category/230022/sports#axzz2saPi8pCS

Ekrub
02-07-2014, 07:07 PM
If you are getting this feeling from looking at Memphistigers.org, then that's why. Stay away from those crazies ha! The people saying this, if you asked them their reasoning, they would say, "look at all time tournament resumes." Because (and I mean absolutely no disrespect by this) when comparing both team's all time tournament resumes, they really aren't that close. But even despite that, most Tiger fans view Gonzaga as a "sister program." A lot alike in many ways. Which is why I think it is so important for this rivalry to continue and for both teams to become perennial top 15 programs year in and year out. (And please do not take my tournament resume comment as a backhanded insult/slap! because it was not at all!)

As long as you don't say Few32, we're good.

MDABE80
02-07-2014, 09:31 PM
We can win this with defense,....and i think it's our edge. Karno and Sam need to hit the boards. Abotu the only thing I don't like is thisbeing an away game. I do think the guards match up well enough. Our biggest edge in the bigs. Karno MUST get his legs under him and push hard. Clog the key.rebound. Nunez will help but it's those starting bigs that must step up. Defense and rebounding win these games at this stage of the season. I think we can do both well enough to win. Memphis isn't Syracuse.......not even close. Just play defense and rebound. DEFENSE.

DixieZag
02-07-2014, 10:14 PM
Do we maybe start Barham? I know starting line ups don't matter that much - and maybe that's a reason to do it. I am NOT trying to start a pie fight.

I can't think of any one who would want it more than him, he's a senior, it would mean a lot to him, all class, quite-reserved just like Few likes, brings some length and height, three pt specialist and he's gotta play with a big motor?

Just thinking out loud.

Zagger
02-08-2014, 03:23 AM
This game will be a great matchup - college basketball at its best. Coach Few knows this team. They're an interesting lot who are going to be very ready to play tonight. Memphis, and most posters on this thread, are going to be very surprised. You get any one of our starting 5 riled up and it will be hard to stay with the Zags. The Zag bench - same story. This Zag team is primed for Memphis and a national audience. Memphis will have a hard time with Zag shooting accuracy and scrappy D. I see Memphis in both TO and foul trouble. Stockton's going to pick pockets & a host of Zags will stick 3s. Zags win by 10+.

Pastner4Prez
02-08-2014, 04:42 AM
This game will be a great matchup - college basketball at its best. Coach Few knows this team. They're an interesting lot who are going to be very ready to play tonight. Memphis, and most posters on this thread, are going to be very surprised. You get any one of our starting 5 riled up and it will be hard to stay with the Zags. The Zag bench - same story. This Zag team is primed for Memphis and a national audience. Memphis will have a hard time with Zag shooting accuracy and scrappy D. I see Memphis in both TO and foul trouble. Stockton's going to pick pockets & a host of Zags will stick 3s. Zags win by 10+.

Sounds just like what Louisville fans were saying about their game. I hardly doubt this team will be surprised at this point. Cheers to a good gàme

wnczagfan
02-08-2014, 05:04 AM
Interesting article (don't know if this has been posted somewhere)

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/02/07/3074654/no-24-memphis-ready-to-host-no.html

ZagsGoZags
02-08-2014, 05:24 AM
Karno will get the ball stripped if he brings it down low or tries to dribble - and may get frustrated at how often the defense will hit his arms and not get called for it. However, his motivation is going be huge when he starts the game at least, and if he can hit his bunnies (at least more than he has lately) we have a chance to win a thriller.

Zagsker
02-08-2014, 05:27 AM

Lol...peoples opinions on a message board appears to hold your emotions hostage waaaaaay to much

Hoopaholic
02-08-2014, 06:41 AM
Do we maybe start Barham? I know starting line ups don't matter that much - and maybe that's a reason to do it. I am NOT trying to start a pie fight.

I can't think of any one who would want it more than him, he's a senior, it would mean a lot to him, all class, quite-reserved just like Few likes, brings some length and height, three pt specialist and he's gotta play with a big motor?

Just thinking out loud.

Haaaa. The starting lineup will change when mt Rushmore changes...Vegas odds makers tell us absolutely nit unless a starter is injured

bballbeachbum
02-08-2014, 06:57 AM
Karno will get the ball stripped if he brings it down low or tries to dribble - and may get frustrated at how often the defense will hit his arms and not get called for it. However, his motivation is going be huge when he starts the game at least, and if he can hit his bunnies (at least more than he has lately) we have a chance to win a thriller.

hopefully he can force the double team and help the rest of the team, or finish if they don't double him. Zags like to go to him early looking to force the D to collapse and soften the perimeter. If he can avoid the silly whistles he has a chance to be a difference maker today

Zagceo
02-08-2014, 07:49 AM
PLAY AGGRESSIVE ANGRY!

Zagceo
02-08-2014, 07:57 AM
Crawford has taken 18 ft's all year and made 10. Statistically insignificant %. 119 of his 166 fg attempts are 3's. That says he catches and shoots, or gives it up if the shot isn't there. Doesn't sound like a guy you can force to drive.

Gameday..... Digger says guard the line...... guard the line..... guard the line make them drive! I think he wants them to guard the line! He even went as far as saying its coaching!

Bkzag
02-08-2014, 08:52 AM
MSU/MU is a "Blue Blood!"

Reached the FF three times, played in finals twice under two different coaches.

Have had GREAT recruiting classes, with real good athletic players.

They play in a great venue.

There coach is still "young" but was mentored in two super programs (UA & MSU).

Questions: (1) How well disciplined are the Tigers? (2) Can the Tigers adjust their style, when they play the Zags, who are very disciplined and extremely "Basketball Smart?"

IMO the Tigers are more athletic, quicker and stronger BUT can they make the necessary adjustments during the game and at half time.

Keys for a GU victory are defensive rebounding, help side defense, making open shots and our bigs not getting in early foul trouble. If GU can accomplish these three things, then we have a decent chance of winning. KP has not yet shown that he can be consistent behind the arc when on the road...this will tell the tale tonight.

As a betting man, I would take MSU and give the three points...

GO ZAGS BEAT TIGERS!

exclusivelee
02-08-2014, 09:24 AM
The West Coast Conference’s overall decline has affected Gonzaga’s national reputation and its bracketology (27th in the BPI) standing.

WCC Is #9 in RPI and the AAC is #8... where has Medcalf been?

DixieZag
02-08-2014, 10:25 AM
WCC Is #9 in RPI and the AAC is #8... where has Medcalf been?

The only justification for "overall decline" is that there isn't one or two other really powerful teams at the top, he is totally ignoring that the entire conference is much tougher this year.

gomemphistigers1
02-08-2014, 10:30 AM
The WCC was a "quiet winner" in realignment...folks don't seem to talk about it, but the WCC is very solid now.

QuitoTiger
02-08-2014, 11:06 AM
All I want to say is, I'm glad we're continuing to play you, have always respected your program and leadership, and hope this is another great game...not too great for you though! My only complaint is it took like three days of screening by your ITs-or-what-ever-set-up your site has for me to be allowed to post this. Peace.

Saxon_zag
02-08-2014, 11:18 AM
Lol...peoples opinions on a message board appears to hold your emotions hostage waaaaaay to much

Haha, gee ya think? Some people cry so much on this board at the first hint of negativity. I don't love super pessimistic views either but these views exist right now because the team just isn't very good as of late especially..

GoTigersGo
02-08-2014, 11:36 AM

Just thinking out loud.

If Drew starts, he will get a standing "O".

Zagger
02-08-2014, 11:45 AM
If Drew starts, he will get a standing "O".

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Few starts Drew. It is college basketball after all and the Zags like to honor their own and their opponents. I hope Drew does start as it'll put a great spin on the game (and Drew's certainly earned a start with his play this year).
Go Zags!

Hooplife18
02-08-2014, 12:40 PM
All I want to say is, I'm glad we're continuing to play you, have always respected your program and leadership, and hope this is another great game...not too great for you though! My only complaint is it took like three days of screening by your ITs-or-what-ever-set-up your site has for me to be allowed to post this. Peace.

Ha, mine too! I wanted to start some conversations on here earlier but it took forever to be allowed to post. All is good now though.

kitzbuel
02-08-2014, 02:41 PM

Even though we don't have football money, Gonzaga pays its coaches at the high major level, the team has its own plane (which many high majors don't have), the arena and training facilties maybe smaller but are first class in every way, they have total control over their non-league scheduling, they have a multi-million buck TV contract with Root Sports, they have more games on ESPN than but a few programs, and while they can't recruit at the blueblood level, they still regularly bring in players who would be playing for power conference programs if they didn't choose Gonzaga. It's a label that is outdated and fails to understand that unlike in football, basketball programs can transcend their conference affiliation. Everytime a Gonzaga or Memphis (even more so) gets labeled a mid major, it leads to athletic directors in the Sun Belt and OVC firing coaches for not performing at the same level. It's bad for college basketball.
GU and Memphis will continue to be mid major basketball programs until they win the Orange Bowl, Rose Bowl, Fiesta Bowl or Sugar Bowl.

LongIslandZagFan
02-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Ha, mine too! I wanted to start some conversations on here earlier but it took forever to be allowed to post. All is good now though.

My apologies. Tends to be me that does it. Sorry if it took awhile. I do try to check every day... but sometimes I am out of town or just plain don't get around to it.... speaking of which...

Zagceo
02-08-2014, 03:01 PM
GU and Memphis will continue to be mid major basketball programs until they win the Orange Bowl, Rose Bowl, Fiesta Bowl or Sugar Bowl.

What really is the measuring stick for mid major?

I would say endowment might be a factor.

Gonzaga $120 Million
Memphis $180 Million
Stanford $ 18 BILLION

gomemphistigers1
02-08-2014, 03:05 PM
I believe Memphis' 2014 endowment is around 220 million...Tennessee won't let us have a medical school...those punks!

Our athletic budget is 44 million this year.