PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Portland...post game thoughts

Reborn
02-05-2014, 10:36 PM
Congratulations Zags!!! Good win. Geeze!!! You scared the bagebies out of me. It looked awful there for awhile. Basketball is an amazing game. You never really know what is going to happen. During a season all kinds of different games happen, and one kind of game that happens almost every year is the type of game where a team gets a good 20 pt lead (often 17 like ours at half) and blows the lead in the second half but holds on at the end to win. These kinds of game happen all the time; so I wasn't surprised when it began to happen (the lead was slipping away). I was just hoping that this one would end like so many do. The team that had the big lead and loses it, comes back at the end. Thank God that is what happened tonight. I just DID NOT want to lose another one to Portland. However, there is also the scenario where I team gets a big lead in the first half and loses too. So I was really quite worried in that second half. It all worked out thought, so thank you, God.

That second half was tough to watch, as the Zags could not buy a basket, and the lead was slowly melting away. You could just see it melting, and the Zags could not stop it. Finally, Portland took the lead 56-52 with 5 minutes to go in the game. Few called a time-out, and when the Zags returned to the court, Dower scored six straight points and the Zags took back the lead at the 4 minute mark. Stockton and Pangos scored the Zags last 12 points, and the Zags won by 5. WE gave them a laying with 5 seconds left in the game, so it should have been 7.

Few was proud of the guys and I can see why. They had really seemed to have lost it (the fire) completely, and yet they got together, and decided to get that fire back in the closing 4 minutes. And they did.

This may sound wierd but I am kind of glad that the Zags did not win big like it looked like they would do at halftime. HOnestly, the BIG game is Saturday, and the Zags play alot better on Saturday if they don't play real well on Wednesday or Thursday. The way the Zags played the second half will get them focused really well now for Saturday.

Go Zags!!!

CdAZagFan
02-05-2014, 11:27 PM
I really wanted to see this team build the big lead, and then in 2nd half build a bigger lead... Forty minutes of sustained desire and hustle. Something about their offense that doesn't inspire much confidence right now (especially going to Memphis). The ball just moves around the outside for most of the shot clock. When they hit the threes they all seem to play better - but I'd hate to rely on the 3-ball especially with all the road games coming up. KP played absolutely great defense, but he's just not the same offensive threat as he was earlier in the season.

It was great to see them fight back after losing the lead - that showed some character. I just don't know if I'm very confident against tougher opponents (i.e. Memphis for one). Hopefully like Reborn said earlier, these are all just stepping stones to greater things later in the season. They definitely have a way of keeping things interesting this season...

Mantua
02-06-2014, 12:01 AM
I wish Shem could have scored more but he had 9 rebounds and 4 blocks!

Baseline
02-06-2014, 12:25 AM
I like Few, but his rotations drive me crazy. It almost seems he takes a guy out if he is getting hot. I blame much of what I saw tonight on player rotation issues.

ZagsGoZags
02-06-2014, 12:42 AM
I wish Shem could have scored more but he had 9 rebounds and 4 blocks!

what is with Karno and his bunnies?

Reborn
02-06-2014, 09:09 AM
PK did not have his best game, that's for sure, especially in the second half.

Baseline
02-06-2014, 10:34 AM
Both Kevin and Garry had bad nights, I think Kyle should have been substituted a lot more. We would have had better rebounding and good defense. Dower had a tough night and Angel looked the best he has, why not ride that horse a bit more.
Coleman took a step back in my opinion and started forcing his drives and shots. Shen had a bad night offensively, but I chalk that up to Portland and good game planning by their coach. He coaches Bigs better than anyone in the WCC in my opinion.

The second half started with lazy defense and Portland hit a few Threes and got their confidence going and the Gene could not be put back in the bottle. Much of Dowers lack of scoring was good defense by Portland.

Portland is a tough match and with luck could pull off a WCC tournament Championship. I fear them more than SMC.

Reborn
02-06-2014, 05:14 PM
What I will remember about the game last night is that when it counted the most the Zags stepped up and and David and Kevin hit back to back three point shots, and got their team in a good place to win. I will also remember that when we were four down, Dower scored six straight points to put the Zags back ahead.

I'm looking forward to seeing Sam against a more physically tough front court. As we know Sam can take his man outside, and if necessary can shoot from out there too. Sam is a tough match up, imo.