PDA

View Full Version : - - -GUnit of the Game- - - (Portland, Round 2)

gozagswoohoo
02-05-2014, 09:05 PM
Kind of a weird game.

Oh, and honorable mention to the female who hit the half court shot for $1100 clams.

VinnyZag
02-05-2014, 09:07 PM
Stockton, for having the stones to take that shot.

exclusivelee
02-05-2014, 09:08 PM
Nunez.

13 points on 4 of 6 fg, 5 of 5 ft

Huge effort off the bench. Made all 5 of his free throws

LongIslandZagFan
02-05-2014, 09:08 PM
Stocks with ice in his veins. Pulling the team from the abyss...

Honorable mention for Nunez.

kitzbuel
02-05-2014, 09:09 PM
Stockton picks up the team in the backend of the second half.

hooter73
02-05-2014, 09:10 PM
Stocks IF he had have hit his free throws, 4 of 9 I think?

Maybe the senior Duo of Stocks and Dower if you combine their maturity.

Nunez by far IF he had have been given a chance in the 2nd half to continue his amazing 1st half play.

Right now I feel more like giving it to Nicholas, he was a great player tonight.

Ekrub
Nunez for an all around good game. Stockton honorable mention but gets knocks for the TO's and missed free throws.

DixieZag
The Refs?

Without all that bench time for those UP guys and. . . .

I was groaning when he went back in, so I gotta man up and say Stocks pulled us up, - - hon mention Kevin for simply hitting the three that I knew was going in bc he's Kevin.

ZagLawGrad
02-05-2014, 09:13 PM
DS, clutch at the end

But not real enthused about the teams' effort that 2nd half

jpn17
02-05-2014, 09:14 PM
Gotta go with Nunez. Gonzaga tended to play so much better while he was in there and IMO he should have gotten more minutes than he did. Can't vote for Stockton. 4-8 shooting FT's while Nunez was 5-5. I'll be very curious to see the roland ratings for this game.

Birddog
02-05-2014, 09:16 PM
On the surface it looked like Stockton or perhaps Nunez, but I voted for Pangos who quietly got 13 pts, 4 rebounds 3 steals and 4 assists. He filled up the stats and played pretty good defense in an otherwise forgettable game.

ZagMan in Philly
02-05-2014, 09:17 PM
Stockton, for having the stones to take that shot.
Made the old man watching proud.
Onions!

Hoopaholic
02-05-2014, 09:21 PM
On the surface it looked like Stockton or perhaps Nunez, but I voted for Pangos who quietly got 13 pts, 4 rebounds 3 steals and 4 assists. He filled up the stats and played pretty good defense in an otherwise forgettable game.

Me too. All while they never left his chest and doubled him off rub screens

And single turnover

jayray
02-05-2014, 09:24 PM
Me too. All while they never left his chest and doubled him off rub screens

And single turnover

Pangos took a few atrocious shots tonight, some of the poorest shot selections of the game and with 15 seconds left on the shot clock.

wnczagfan
02-05-2014, 09:26 PM
Tough choice for me between Pangos and Stockton. Went with Stocks - we just seem to have a better rhythm when he is in there, imho, and he hit some timely daggers. Just wish he would have hit more free throws. Pangos looked healthier tonight and had a great game. Wasn't nursing his toe as much. Nunez is looking better each game. Not exactly sure why we took him out when he was playing so well. Disappointed we squandered such a great lead that we developed in the first half. Why do we keep missing so many close in shots? It seems like we shoot better from far away! Happy with the win, though, and a fun game to watch.

hooter73
02-05-2014, 09:26 PM
box score:
http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400506810

Hoopaholic
02-05-2014, 09:29 PM
Pangos took a few atrocious shots tonight, some of the poorest shot selections of the game and with 15 seconds left on the shot clock.

Agree on shot selection

Birddog
02-05-2014, 09:31 PM

I can't argue with that and I felt the same but when I checked the boxscore I was surprised at just how much he did right. He also was in on several 50/50 balls.

DixieZag
02-05-2014, 09:36 PM
I can't argue with that and I felt the same but when I checked the boxscore I was surprised at just how much he did right. He also was in on several 50/50 balls.

Great point BD - - I did notice that was getting great position on the boards a few times.

gonwick
02-05-2014, 09:37 PM
I'm not sure anyone deserved it. Nunez got my vote because he played well, then was exiled. I'm happy that stockton hit his threes tonight, but it is ludicrous game planning to have him on the wing as a three point option during dribble penetration when he shoots 20%. He hit them tonight, but I'd rather be occasionally disappointed by someone's three point shooting than very rarely pleasantly surprised. that is to say, play the percentages and have a better shooter on the floor, one who can hit free throws.

DixieZag
02-05-2014, 09:40 PM
David had been hitting his FTs at a great rate this year.

Someone waaayyyy smarter than me said he was given a tip by one of the old Dogs, Dickau, or Stepp or someone that he was holding and shooting the ball off his shoulder, they said he brought it more inside and shooting from the forehead, and I watched early in the year and that was dead right.

Then, when he started missing, I looked and it sure looked like he was back out over the shoulder.

Or am I just imagining that b/c he was missing? Anyone else pick up on that?

john montana
02-05-2014, 09:58 PM
I'm not sure anyone deserved it. .

This. What an ugly game. Kudos to Portland for outplaying us in the last 30 minutes. I really don't get how they have lost so many games...those kids play well together.

Bocco
02-05-2014, 10:01 PM
Tempted to go with Stockton but went with Nunez, mainly because he did more in 12 minutes than most the starters did in 30 minutes. I too am surprised he didn't see more time in the second half.

ZagaZags
02-05-2014, 10:07 PM
I wanted to vote Heister, I went with Stockton and Nunez a very close 2nd.

Reborn
02-05-2014, 10:09 PM
I voted for Nunez because he was the leader of the bench play tonight. I felt our bench carried us to the victory tonight, and because Nunez led the bench scoring I chose him. They scored 30 points. Nunez got 13 points and two boards in twelve minutes. That's right! 12 minutes. He was awesome tonight. Silky smooth. 4-6 from the field and 5-5 from the foul line.

I was also really proud of Kevin Pangos. I know his toe was hurting tonight, yet he came through in the end with that huge three, and he was so tough on defense tonight. I love his toughness. I guess he feels that if he can't lead us on offense this year that he will lead us on defense. Defense is all about toughness.

gamagin
02-05-2014, 10:26 PM
Stocks, Nunez, KP. I think there were 10-12 minutes left in the game when I noticed Gbj had 2 points and KP 5. thankfully, KP drew numerous fouls in the last five minutes or so as Portland started trying to manage the clock and he canned something like 6 of 7 I think.

My take away was both GBj & Kp have gotta start scoring earlier if we hope to beat Memphis. DS was clutch, and he had two steals that I recall vividly, but I prefer KP & GBj have been warmed up and are ready by that late in any game.

Secondly, fwiw, KP's toe looked like it wasn't bothering him tonight. He was on fire defensively and really played one of his best defensive contests I can recall. I don't think he could have scrambled all the way out of bounds and into the Zag bench to get a rebound on a tender toe. And then get up and run, cut and chase like he did if that toe weren't cooperating. fwiw. He even had spring in his feet. Not contending it was perfect. Am saying it looked and he acted like it was under control for this game, anyway.

Mantua
02-05-2014, 10:31 PM
Nunez because he was the player we need to win for the rest of the season.

Pangos continues to be a rock for this team despite his injury. Fox pointed out his underrated defense.

Stocks was good, but we needed those freethrows.

2wiceright
02-05-2014, 10:36 PM
Nunez for an all around good game. Stockton honorable mention but gets knocks for the TO's and missed free throws.

+1

hooter73
02-05-2014, 10:50 PM
Are Perkins, Melson and Alberts here yet?

Honestly out guard play is not inspiring confidence down the stretch. Well thats not quite right, our guards numbers arent inspiring, their intangibles are winning us the games.

Mantua
02-05-2014, 10:52 PM
Are Perkins, Melson and Alberts here yet?

Honestly out guard play is not inspiring confidence down the stretch. Well thats not quite right, our guards numbers arent inspiring, their intangibles are winning us the games.

So true.

caduceus
02-05-2014, 11:40 PM
Compare:

Nunez: 12 minutes played. While on the court GU scored 20 and gave up 20. While off the court, GU scored 51 and gave up 46. Net: -5.
Dranginis: 13 minutes played. While on the court GU scored 29 and gave up 22. While off the court, GU scored 42 and gave up 44. Net: +9

Stocks was -5 also.

Winners were Dranginis (+9) and Pangos (+7), and to a lesser extent PK, SD, and DB (all +3), in my opinion.

Baseline
02-06-2014, 12:03 AM
Nunez - This was almost a coming out game for him. He played under control and didn't look lost out there. For some reason the lights have gone on and he seems to know how to play with the team. Love his defense.
A should out to Stockton!

Bushman
02-06-2014, 07:44 AM
I was also really proud of Kevin Pangos. I know his toe was hurting tonight, yet he came through in the end with that huge three, and he was so tough on defense tonight. I love his toughness. I guess he feels that if he can't lead us on offense this year that he will lead us on defense. Defense is all about toughness.

Nice observation Reborn, I was aslo impressed.

primal23
02-06-2014, 08:18 AM
I voted other, thinking the refs. If Van der Mars played more minutes the game would have ended up like the last one.