PDA

View Full Version : GU constipation ?

gamagin
02-04-2014, 11:41 AM
For the second week in a row (monday radio sports show with Tom Hudson), I heard coach Few gently, alternately, complain first about KP and then GBj, using essentially the same general language.

The term few used for both our stars came down to this: they have got to hunt for shots. They have got to keep hunting for shots, stay engaged in hunting shots and they have to be ready and they have to shoot more.

After hearing this twice, I started to think about that, what it means, what sort of thing can (and does) happen if the shooters aren't out there constantly looking to shoot & shooting as their coach openly complained about.

The answer is the Zags take less shots, and the lesser shooters take more shots. The whole deal breaks down, Just like it's broken down repeatedly over the past several weeks.

It's not enough to isolate this as THE only thing we need to do, but as long as the shooters aren't, can't, won't shoot and do not, per Few, hunt for shots at all times, we are hurting ourselves.

It makes sense. It also explains to me at least, why, when things break down, you can pretty much see that the two best shooters aren't shooting, Few, imo, is saying there's a reason besides being guarded closely. But this time it's on them to solve as much as it on everyone else to get them the ball.

The lack of shooting sends the ball back up the chain, forces lower percentage options and essentially turns a (nationally highest %) scoring machine into a constipated, disjointed bunch of guys unable or unwilling to get back to what provably works.

We do exactly what the other teams want us to do, try and force us to do. And as long as we don't break the process and take back charge, it will continue.

bballbeachbum
02-04-2014, 12:03 PM
this should be a good thread

considering the Zags play inside out and look to force the opposing D to respond to both Shem and Sam in the first half as much as the team looks to David to establish his penetration game early, it's easy to understand the word 'hunt' in that equation. Up until recently it was a different equation for KP and GBj too.

Difficult for this observer to say that KP doesn't look for his shot because he seems very aggressive at that to me, but his wheels issues have clearly affected his ability to shake free consistently.

So Gary is going to continue to be more aggressive imo, and has been over the last couple games already, to compensate for KP being hobbled; he will respond to whatever the team needs and has the game to do it; he's already started to 'hunt' more shots since returning and KP being slowed seems to me, not new news :)

CDC84
02-04-2014, 12:12 PM
There is only so much KP can do to hunt out his shot when he is playing at 60%. He can't move without the ball right now. He has almost zero acceleration.

Frankly, I find Few's comments kind of offensive. Kevin in many ways shouldn't be playing right now, but he's gutting it out for the team and for his coaches. What does he want Kevin to do? Shoot the ball with a guy's hand right in his face?

If he wants KP to perform like the old KP, then he needs to shut him completely down until the WCC tournament. Otherwise, he needs to accept his limitations (which will be limitations until the season ends), stop throwing him underneath the bus on radio, and find more creative ways as a coach to get him shots.

Rant over.

Zagdawg
02-04-2014, 12:15 PM
Kevins minutes are being reduced to allow him to get some extra rest recently. With the bum wheel he won't be able to get as many easier drives/shots off especially when he has a harder time breaking free of his defender.

I agree--Gary is only going to get better as he becomes more comfortable with his hand. It would be great to see these guys getting more open looks and pulling the trigger on them -- but if the other players on the team get a few more "lower percentage' opportunities --I believe it will pay off come dance time as they are more ready to contribute should an athletic defensive stopper be put on KP and or GB.

It makes it much tougher on a team to guard 5-7 guys who can put up 10+ pts on any given night vs trying to stop 2-3 scorers.

I am ok with what is happening right now-- just continue to heal--get better physically and get ready for the dance.

gamagin
02-04-2014, 12:20 PM
this should be a good thread

considering the Zags play inside out and look to force the opposing D to respond to both Shem and Sam in the first half as much as the team looks to David to establish his penetration game early, it's easy to understand the word 'hunt' in that equation. Up until recently it was a different equation for KP and GBj too.

Difficult for this observer to say that KP doesn't look for his shot because he seems very aggressive at that to me, but his wheels issues have clearly affected his ability to shake free consistently.

So Gary is going to continue to be more aggressive imo, and has been over the last couple games already, to compensate for KP being hobbled; he will respond to whatever the team needs and has the game to do it; he's already started to 'hunt' more shots since returning and KP being slowed seems to me, not new news :)

The toe didn't come up. neither did GBj's hand. My interpretation is they likely do shoot the lights out in practice and need to do the same in the game.

Mantua
02-04-2014, 12:23 PM
There is only so much KP can do to hunt out his shot when he is playing at 60%. He can't move without the ball right now. He has almost zero acceleration.

Frankly, I find Few's comments kind of offensive. Kevin in many ways shouldn't be playing right now, and he's gutting it out for the team and for his coaches. What does he want Kevin to do? Shoot the ball with a guy's hand right in his face?

If he wants KP to perform like the old KP, then he needs to shut him completely down until the WCC tournament. Otherwise, he needs to accept his limitations, stop throwing him underneath the bus on radio, and find more creative ways as a coach to get him shots.

Rant over.

I agree. Good Rant.

I cringe every time someone brings up Pangos lack of point production considering how well he has playing with the injury. I'd also like to see him rested. The prescription for most foot injuries is "stay off your feet."

Gary seems to be hunting his shot often. He's dong very well considering that he is barely removed from the hand injury.

Zagceo
02-04-2014, 12:25 PM
I agree 100% with Few.

They shoot to high a percentage not to have more attempts!

Heat checks please guys!

CDC84
02-04-2014, 12:29 PM
Resting Pangos during games will not cure his turf toe injury. It will just make him less tired, which is important. If Few keeps playing him 39 MPG, he's going to run into the brick wall like Delly did at St. Mary's last year. Even more so with Kevin because the turf toe injury is causing him to exert even more effort than he normally would.

But the lack of acceleration, the inability to move without the ball....won't be cured until the season ends as long as Coach continues to play him.

I agree with Few's assessment of Gary, although he's been coming alive in recent games. I hope it continues because Kevin is basically a stand still shooter right now unless the guy who is defending him is slower than a snail or if the other team can't defend to save its life.

cjm720
02-04-2014, 12:35 PM
KP just isn't the same and it's no coincidence that our scoring has dropped quite a bit (it seems, at least). It all starts with him.

Bell was hurt, of course, but he seems to be aggressive more so when it's needed, rather than from the tip.

I'd like to see Dranginis get a little more aggressive with his shot.

Pallet
02-04-2014, 12:36 PM
I call it the clogged toilet offense. The ball just keeps going around and around the perimeter, never going down the hole.

Zagceo
02-04-2014, 12:44 PM
I call it the clogged toilet offense. The ball just keeps going around and around the perimeter, never going down the hole.

Very clever!

bballbeachbum
02-04-2014, 12:51 PM
The toe didn't come up. neither did GBj's hand. My interpretation is they likely do shoot the lights out in practice and need to do the same in the game.

thanks gamagin.

Interesting the toe didn't come up don't you think? Maybe it's healed and is a non factor now? I don't know but it sure doesn't look like it game to game to me

Anyway, I didn't bring up Gary's hand either because it's looking fine, brought up his changing role because of what we're all seeing with KP, meaning there are more shots available to him, which has played out the last couple of games since his return. They also ran him off screens in the first half more than once last game, don't usually do that.

knew this was going to be a good thread!

gamagin
02-04-2014, 12:55 PM

Frankly, I find Few's comments kind of offensive. Kevin in many ways shouldn't be playing right now, but he's gutting it out for the team and for his coaches. What does he want Kevin to do? Shoot the ball with a guy's hand right in his face?

If he wants KP to perform like the old KP, then he needs to shut him completely down until the WCC tournament. Otherwise, he needs to accept his limitations (which will be limitations until the season ends), stop throwing him underneath the bus on radio, and find more creative ways as a coach to get him shots.

Rant over.

The only issue I have with this, which is accurate as far as it goes, is the team "rule" and the reality.

The rule says that if you lace up, it's because you are ready to play. If you physically cannot, don't lace up. In other words, it's up to the player (like KP, his md, the trainer, his parents etc) to make that decision. CDC places that burden on Few and suggests he overrule it and sit KP. CDC may be right in the final analysis. But Few follows his rules.

Accept them or not, it is the case. Therefore, making excuses (valid or not) is beside the point of what this team needs to do. I think Few simply answered the question on what needs to happen going forward as he has all along. Except this time, the chinks in the armor are coming from atop the key, in his opinion.

If we can bring ourselves to agree about the unwritten rule (it exists) and if you can bring yourself, as our players have brought themselves, to understand this is how the Zags roll, it becomes, imo, pretty apparent, that the shooters do need to hunt & shoot more.

Few, in his answer, places the burden and challenge directly on the shooters.

Oregonzagnut
02-04-2014, 01:19 PM
Gerard Coleman has no problem "hunting shots". GC is hitting over 50% too.

ZagsGoZags
02-04-2014, 01:33 PM
I have often wished Gary would hunt his shot more, and hunt assists more. On the occasional times I have seen GB shoot off balance, it didn't go in, and didn't look like his usual shot. Remember when he had 8 3 pointers in a game a few months ago, and everybody was egging him on to take that ninth one to tie Dickau and KP? He shot three off balance, hurried shots that all missed. He did it again in the last game. If he shoots more, I hope he will practice making his shots a lot in the gym, with a guy on him. Grab somebody, anybody, to guard him while he practices. Those lazy, relaxed practice shots in the gym at night aren't as good for practice as putting your mind in a pretend game situation, where you juke the defender to get your shot off. Right now Gary does not have T. Haws and Ammo's ability to create for themselves, and I don't think Gary would be very good at it right now. I think he should practice for it until he can add those types of moves to his arsenal. Creating your own shot isn't so hard if you are willing to shoot off balance, but there aren't many players who can do this. Ammo and Jimmer didn't - they still found ways to mostly shoot quickly with their feet under them. Haws does shoot off balance sometimes and I don't know about those percentages, but he seems to put quite a few of those through the hoop.

BobZag
02-04-2014, 02:14 PM
It is colder than a witch's teet outside.

Mantua
02-04-2014, 02:35 PM
thanks gamagin.

Interesting the toe didn't come up don't you think? Maybe it's healed and is a non factor now? I don't know but it sure doesn't look like it game to game

It's highly improbable that Kevin's ligament has healed while he is continuing to aggravate the injury. It takes two months for the injury to heal at rest. If he's continuing to play taped and braced wearing a rigid soled shoe his mobility is limited beyond the injury.

cjm720
02-04-2014, 02:50 PM

I think I've seen him hit one jump shot though...not quite what Few was thinking IMO!

Zagsker
02-04-2014, 03:20 PM
Has there been any legit sources that have publicly said KP's toe is still an issue? He looks like he is moving around fine to me, particularly at home where he is shooting well (from memory). I think some fans desperately want the toe to be a big reason...however Few is indicating it is not

RenoZag
02-04-2014, 03:27 PM
I would like to see Kyle D do more hunting also.

DADoZAG
02-04-2014, 03:32 PM
Gary Bell, when he decides to be, is the best player in the WCC. Unfortunately, we only get to see that a few minutes at a time, such as in the second half agin' Santa Clara. He wasn't all that open on a couple of those 3s. From that, and other examples, he doesn't need to be all that open.

I've praised his folks in the past for their raising of such a fine young man, humble, polite, great heart and soul.

Sometimes, like every time he walks on a basketball court, that young man needs to decide to shove it down the opponent's throat and rip their hearts out.

When he starts playing like that for full games, he'll be one of the best in the nation.

Pangos' toe is what it is. He could still shoot more, and if he isn't, there's no need to have two point guards on the floor.

OT - 'Starting the love the four guard offense. It opens up the lane for more one on one or gives the Big easy kick outs because the double is so much easier to read. The ZAGS have plenty of shooters to hit from deep, or drive and dish (in or out).

If the Bigs could get better at the high low, it would be different, much different. But they only seem to hit it once a game.

Go ZAGS!

exclusivelee
02-04-2014, 03:42 PM
I would like to see Kyle D do more hunting also.

+1

Need Kyle and Gary to shoot a lot more

Oregonzagnut
02-04-2014, 03:54 PM
I think I've seen him hit one jump shot though...not quite what Few was thinking IMO!

I actually can't recall that jump shot but I believe you. :)

I was mostly noticing the irony that Coleman has the quality of hunting for "his" shot that Few is wanting in Bell and Pangos to hunt for "their" shots. Pangos can slash too, as can Bell and stockton, but they seem to "take it as it comes" rather than "hunt" aggressively for shots.

It seems passive sometimes (for Bell especially) and so I think that translates to their jump shooting as well.

IMO, maybe his comments are to mean "Be the hunter not the hunted."

Zippyzaggy
02-04-2014, 03:55 PM
Has there been any legit sources that have publicly said KP's toe is still an issue? He looks like he is moving around fine to me, particularly at home where he is shooting well (from memory). I think some fans desperately want the toe to be a big reason...however Few is indicating it is not

He collapsed in agony early in their last game while jumping for a rebound. Nobody touched him. He was reaching for his foot and in obvious pain. He got up limping and had to go to the bench for awhile because of it. Wouldn't that be evidence enough that turf toe is still affecting his game? It is for me.

Reborn
02-04-2014, 04:02 PM
I couldn't agree with Mark Few more, and I said just about the same thing in my prediction thread this morning. Sam Dower has been saving the Zags lately. Thank God he knows how to create his own shot, or hunt it as Few calls it. I prefer calling it creating a shot because that's what it comes down to. Players like Bell and Pangos should be able to create shots, and especially Gary. Gary is timid, and Pangos has become more timid lately, and finally Dranginis is passive on the offensive end. I wish Few would have included Dranginis because he has the same problem. I thought our guards would be our strength this year, and in the beginning of the season they were. However, everything has changed since the injuries. Gary has shot 7, 9 and 5 times in the last three games since he's come back. This is just not enough shots for a guy as talented as he is. Kevin has shot 9, 7 and 14. IMO 14 is where he should be every game. Dranginis is 6, 5 and 3 shots a the last three games. No guard will ever become an elite guard if they can not create some of their own shots. HOw does that happen? By practicing different kinds of shots, and shooting from different places on the court. And you also need to create shots for yourself when you don't have the ball. It's learning to be creative when you don't have the ball in your hands. There are lots of things a player can do.

I have asked myself what has happened at "guard U?" There was once a day we had some really good guards who could really shoot and find shots. Last year it was the guards deferring to Olynyk and Harris. I thought this year they (the guards) would shoot more. As it has turned out it back to the old offense of throwing the ball into our post players. Fortunately our post players have done a great job. I think Few is looking ahead and knows that against better teams (like Memphis) the Zags must have more balanced scoring. There will be teams also in the NCAA tournament who will have much bigger and tougher players in the post, and it will be much harder for Dower and PK to score. The biggest problem with the WCC, imo is that it does not have the kind of post players that the Zags see in the NCAA tournament. Our bigs dominate the WCC, and that's where our scoring comes from it looks like. I know Few KNOWS what our guards must be able to do against top 20 teams, like Memphis. I am really glad to hear that he is focusing on this right now. There must be a change.

I am also glad to know that Few totally ignored the toe issue. The toe issue, I am sure, is far bigger here on the GUBoards then it is in the locker room. How is it that Pangos can shoot 9-14 against BYU and 6-10 from the 3 point line. And Im actually tired of listening to how he can't shoot on the road. Why? He's a junior now and has been in all of these gyms in the WCC two years now. He's supposed to be an elite guard. He's supposed to be our leader. I see him run, and jump and attack the basket. I see him diving for balls all the time on the floor. I see him play without worry on his face. And I do believe that if it were an issue, as some say here on the board, then I seriously do not think Few would play him as much as he has. And all of this goes for Bell too. I'm really glad Few called them out publicly. He's done it before with other players and it worked. Hopefully, it will work with these guys as well.

Go Zags!!!

wnczagfan
02-04-2014, 04:02 PM
He collapsed in agony early in their last game while jumping for a rebound. Nobody touched him. He was reaching for his foot and in obvious pain. He got up limping and had to go to the bench for awhile because of it. Wouldn't that be evidence enough that turf toe is still affecting his game? It is for me.

I was thinking the same thing. Pangos looked like he was in a lot of pain in that last game, and he was not moving around much at all. I'm kind of surprised that Few is calling him out.

raise the zag
02-04-2014, 04:33 PM
I disagree.

Kevin, not Coach Few, is deciding to play and push through his pain/injury. Pangos deserves the utmost respect and I sincerely commend him for his toughness; however, he's fair game to criticism as well as praise.

If you suit up and play, injuries are a variable and all relative to healthy players.

If Kevin feels like he can "play through pain" for 35 mins a game, then step up and make it happen. Do what you do best to help this team ---- shoot the bball and create for others.

I am not saying he's not cutting it, because quite frankly, he's playing at less than 100%, yet my Coaches always told me, no one wants or cares to hear about it UNLESS you're on the 'injury report'.

If you play and want to play, you better darn PLAY.

If Kevin thinks, believes, feels he's good enough to go, then you better be willing to give it your all, whatever that may be.

If he's playing at '60%', so be it and it is what it is...but you better hunt your shot, just as you did before. Coach Few is not being offensive, yet calling out his starting PG, because he's been unable to move without the ball. That isn't anyone's fault, including Kevin's, yet if you want to continue to suit up, be ready to contribute.

Rant over.

Zagsker
02-04-2014, 04:43 PM

Or...he tweaked his ankle, that's what it looked like to me

Reborn
02-04-2014, 04:46 PM
It was his ankle, not his toe.

Zippyzaggy
02-04-2014, 05:01 PM
It was his ankle, not his toe.

That's not what he told me. He is also still wearing that oversized shoe for protection. His toe is still bothering him. It could be that his toe and the shoe could cause him to land awkwardly and further rachet up his woes by tweaking an ankle...but the toe is the main culprit.

siliconzag
02-04-2014, 05:06 PM

Rant over.

I wouldn't characterize the above as a rant, CD84. I also wonder if there is any way in which KP can be ready, even if he rests until the tournament. Coach Few has been known to try to motivate his players with gentle criticism in the past. Who can forget the way he questioned the commitment of the team that nearly upset Arizona in SLC?
I am not a big fan of shame based criticism, or finger pointing. What has been a welcome change from my perspective is improvement on defense. I am still not sure if our defense has improved a lot or whether we were just fortunate to find USF and SCU shooters cold.

I've watched the Zags fairly religiusly this year. I think some of their offensive lethargy stems from lack of movement without the ball. KP, as you mention, cannot generate his own shot, even when healthy. There needs to be some better and more focused passing inside to set up the outside shot. Anyway, insightful comment, as usual, and hardly a rant IMO, CDC84.

Sil

maynard g krebs
02-04-2014, 07:21 PM

So if they played a fall tour in Australia, would the ball go around the perimeter in the opposite direction?

maynard g krebs
02-04-2014, 07:28 PM

Watch a game from Maui, then make up your own mind. He hasn't looked remotely like the same player since early Dec. imo, and I think it's far fetched to call that wishful thinking.

Zagsker
02-04-2014, 08:40 PM
So, if "the toe" is hampering Pangos considerably, doesn't Few come off kinda Andy Dickish for calling out an injured player because he is essentially not playing aggressive enough?

Oregonzagnut
02-05-2014, 06:15 AM
So, if "the toe" is hampering Pangos considerably, doesn't Few come off kinda Andy Dickish for calling out an injured player because he is essentially not playing aggressive enough?

Maybe, but if Pangos is indeed making the final call to play, and Few has "suggested" otherwise, Few can demand he still play the game that the coach wants. Personally, I think the team has played with Pangos' turf toe long enough and I truly hope Few lets him rest.

Turf Toe is a sprained toe. so he is likely doing small re-damage (re-sprain) every time he plays. the hope is that he is healing more than he is re-damaging it.

I think the real issue is how much permanent damage can occur from constantly re-injuring a sprained toe. Obviously the MD's, trainers and staff think it is painful, but at very little risk for risking his career or long term health.

Am I wrong about risk to long term health? Any doctors know if turf toe can ever turn into something much much worse.

DixieZag
02-05-2014, 06:48 AM
GBJ has the biggest combo of talent and athleticism of anyone in the conf. It makes me just yearn for what might be when 5 or 6 times a year I see him fly through the air at rim level after a rebound - - the guy who can clearly go waaayyy up, it too shy to even dunk on fast breaks.

Gary needs to shoot almost as often as Kevin, he's closer to David levels right now, and I'm so frustrated with this that if that is what Few wants, he needs to start taking time away if he doesn't - there's no other way.

gamagin
02-05-2014, 07:08 AM
+1

GBJ has the biggest combo of talent and athleticism of anyone in the conf. It makes me just yearn for what might be when 5 or 6 times a year I see him fly through the air at rim level after a rebound - - the guy who can clearly go waaayyy up, it too shy to even dunk on fast breaks.

Gary needs to shoot almost as often as Kevin, he's closer to David levels right now, and I'm so frustrated with this that if that is what Few wants, he needs to start taking time away if he doesn't - there's no other way.

It is time to go for it for this team. It has played with relaxed, reckless abandon (BYU
game is my fave so far) and seemingly disorganized and dysfunctional (plus flu issues) vs. Portland.

If we make up our minds & go for it, listen to the coaches, hit our team and individual averages, work together and remember to have some fun in this last leg of the '13-'14 season, we'll do just fine.

CdAZagFan
02-05-2014, 08:01 AM

Funny, I was thinking this same thing when I started reading this thread... That's his uniqueness is his being able to create his own shot. And now he's playing "team ball" by passing it around the perimeter...

BBzag
02-05-2014, 01:36 PM

Pangos discussed the toe at length in an interview on Sunday night's "Mark Few Show" on KHQ: "Every time I push off on that right foot it's kind of a sharp pain throughout the right side of my body. I've been favoring it here and there, but for the most part just trying to play through it. ... I spend hours every day just trying to get it to where it's in the best situation, because I've learned that you can't really heal it during the season. I'm just doing my best to try to get it the best I can so I can play to the best of my abilities. I have my ups and downs, and I'm not proud of it, but I'm just trying to help the team win, even if my stats don't really show it."

Few also brought it up in his chat with Andy Katz on ESPNU yesterday: "One of our better players, Kevin Pangos, has just been bothered by this nagging turf toe."

Zagdawg
02-05-2014, 02:14 PM
That sounds a bit different than the summarized interview that started this thread.

exclusivelee
02-05-2014, 02:36 PM

http://www.spokesman.com/zags/blogs/sportslink/2014/feb/01/zags-ride-defense-past-usf-again/

—Gonzaga has been getting healthier the past few weeks, but Kevin Pangos can’t seem to catch a break. Just when he thinks his right big toe, the one that’s been bothering him for nearly two months, is on the mend, he has another setback. The latest one came in Friday’s practice.

Then he sprained his left ankle in the first minute of Saturday’s game. Pangos wasn’t sure how it happened, but Przemek Karnowski thought Pangos stepped on his foot as they doubled a USF forward.

“I kind of hit it (the toe in practice),” Pangos said. “And then the left ankle. Little things.”

It's a big pain for the junior guard, who keeps logging big minutes, though his 31 minutes Saturday was lower than usual. He made only 2 of 9 shots, 1 of 5 from long distance.

http://www.spokesman.com/zags/blogs/sportslink/2014/feb/02/day-after-san-francisco/

The Bulldogs also kept the training staff busy. Guard Kevin Pangos twisted his left ankle in the first minute. Pangos, who re-aggravated his turf toe injury in practice Friday, still played 31 minutes, scoring nine points.

Zagger
02-05-2014, 03:19 PM
Kevin's toe, ankle or whatever is not only causing physical movement issues it (appears to me) that it is also taking a hit on his concentration (TOs and odd passes). Focus, focus (ala location, location, location). If a player's mind is not in the game to a high level .....
Tonight should be a telling game on what the Zags can do being pretty much healthy and healed (accepting Kevin). The Mrs. and I are getting to go to the game and I plan to watch a lot of what I won't see on TV - Few during plays, watch expressions on faces, etc.