PDA

View Full Version : Meehan article on KD

ZaGranny
02-04-2014, 09:31 AM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/feb/04/zags-dranginis-has-evolved-into-jack-of-all-trades/

Gonzaga’s eighth-leading scorer has become one of its most important players.

That’s primarily because sophomore guard Kyle Dranginis ranks second or third on the team in a handful of other statistical categories.

Dranginis showed he could handle a bigger workload when Gary Bell Jr. was sidelined for six games with a broken hand. Dranginis continues to see extended playing time on a healthier Gonzaga roster.

“That’s the beauty of his game,” coach Mark Few said. “He’s a jack-of-all-trades kind of guy. You can’t really pinpoint one aspect he does great but he does everything really well. If you watch us when he’s on the floor we’re flowing better, the ball moves better.

“He probably has the best feel for the game of anybody on the team.”

Dranginis’ dogged pursuit of rebounds led to a collision with teammate Przemek Karnowski on Saturday. Karnowski needed post-game stitches for a cut under his left eye.

“I felt pretty bad,” Dranginis said. “My elbow was pretty sore; I couldn’t even straighten it (Sunday), but it’s all right now. He definitely got the worst end of it.”

Much more at the link.

ZaGranny

gamagin
02-04-2014, 09:50 AM
Nice piece. well deserved. way to go KD !

gonzagafan62
02-04-2014, 09:51 AM
Nice Find ZaGranny. Thanks for posting. I am very fond of KD, and he is a very good kid, and I am very proud of him to be a member of this team.

DixieZag
02-04-2014, 09:55 AM
KD deserves the recognition. And - the better BB observers around here have been telling us the same thing around here for a while. Maybe Mehan got the idea around here - unlikely, but maybe - and I would find it commendable to take up the issue if he did.

WBM
02-04-2014, 09:58 AM
I'm very happy with KD's development. Doesn't seem like he's got too big a chip on his shoulder about the minutes last year, either, which deserves some real respect.

gamagin
02-04-2014, 10:30 AM
I'm very happy with KD's development. Doesn't seem like he's got too big a chip on his shoulder about the minutes last year, either, which deserves some real respect.

please explain. why would he have a chip on his shoulder ? he's a soph breaking out. he was competing for p.t. on the number one team in the nation last season. deserves real respect ? compared to what ? I find this puzzling.

It seems to me it's time to celebrate that KD has learned the system and performed under fire and earned his p.t. and may earn more.

He'll have to keep it, but I'd say he knows that and will do just that. Even though there are no guarantees. Much depends on who comes after him. Just like real life.

I see no real or imagined disrespect. It's the system and he's becoming a master of it. and an heir to it. imo. no ?

thanks,

ZenZag
02-04-2014, 10:50 AM
I think something that has been apparent in Kyle from the beginning was how smooth of a player he is. When he gets in the "zone" he has such a free-flowing, instinct-driven, movement with and without the ball. What I believe we saw last year was him learning the system and the pace of college ball.....and that often had him "in his head" instead of "in the zone". This year it is obvious that he is continually getting more comfortable with the system and pace.....esp with more PT. You can still catch him in his head at times....but it is becoming more rare. This kid's ceiling is very high IMO.

WBM
02-04-2014, 11:00 AM
please explain. why would he have a chip on his shoulder ? he's a soph breaking out. he was competing for p.t. on the number one team in the nation last season. deserves real respect ? compared to what ? I find this puzzling.

It seems to me it's time to celebrate that KD has learned the system and performed under fire and earned his p.t. and may earn more.

He'll have to keep it, but I'd say he knows that and will do just that. Even though there are no guarantees. Much depends on who comes after him. Just like real life.

I see no real or imagined disrespect. It's the system and he's becoming a master of it. and an heir to it. imo. no ?

thanks,

I think your outlook on play time is ideal, and I feel the same way. So many players though around the NCAA are looking for instant gratification. KD's attitude is not just an individual trait to be praised, but a testament to the type of individuals that the program recruits.

Zippyzaggy
02-04-2014, 05:57 PM
I think your outlook on play time is ideal, and I feel the same way. So many players though around the NCAA are looking for instant gratification. KD's attitude is not just an individual trait to be praised, but a testament to the type of individuals that the program recruits.

There was never any reason for any "chip" to be on KD's shoulder. He knew he was not quite ready for prime time yet last season. So, he carried zero resentment about PT whatsoever. He understood he was playing behind Bell & Pangos, and for the most part he was sort of star struck by them. All he needed was to gain more confidence, believe in himself, and understand he could play at their level. Getting all this PT has helped him... A LOT.

Gaining game experience is only going to make him better. The sky is the limit for KD.

Norcalzag
02-04-2014, 06:05 PM
I agree that the sky is the limit for KD. He has a great basketball build -- height, long arms, good hops -- and is a very well-rounded player with, as Few points out, a great feel for the game. He plays tough defense, rebounds, passes, blocks shots and can score. We got a taste of his potential as a shooter last year when he went off for 30 or so against Lewis Clark State. I sure would like to see this aspect of his game develop. I'm hoping that will be a real focus in the upcoming off-season and I was encouraged by the photo that ran with Meehan's story (showing KD working on his shot with Tommy Lloyd).

siliconzag
02-04-2014, 06:34 PM
I agree his play has been praiseworthy. He has blocked shots, rebounded well, and boldly taken it to the hoop. I wish he would drive and shoot more. Sometimes our players pass up shots as if they fear they won't drop. Let go of the fear KD, you remind me of Richie Frahm. He is quickly becoming the most steady player on the entire team. Elvoce would be proud.

Sil