PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Portland II...predictions and other thoughts

Reborn
02-04-2014, 06:39 AM
Gonzaga 83
Portland 67

This is definitely a game I've been waiting for. I know the Zags will be ready. It will be nice to have our whole team playing, and I know we are playing better defense now, which will make a big difference. I remember that game well, and the Zags were definitely suffering from the flu. Their energy level was so low. I would say that that was their worst game this year. I believe that bug is gone, for the most part.

I would love to see our Ninja shooters appear again. I miss seeing those long range shots fall through the basket. I am hoping to see better offense from our guards. It seems like it's been so hard for them lately to get open for good shots. I'm excited to see if the coaches have addressed this issue and have done some things to try to get the guards open. If Pangos continues to have difficulty scoring, I would like to see Dranginis get more aggressive on offense. I think that that has been part of the problem. Since Gary has come back, Kyle seems to have become more passive on offense. The offense, imo, has become too one dimensional, and that needs to change. When Gary was out, Kyle was beginning to get his confidence on the offensive end, and I was really happy to see it. But he has gone back to being more of a passer.

I am hoping to see the kind of energy that the Zags had against BYU. I thought that that was their best game this year. I am sure the Kennel Club gets that energy going. Looking for a lot of noise in K2.....Let's get hot!!!

Go Zags!!!

gonzagafan62
02-04-2014, 06:43 AM
Gonzaga 83
Portland 67

This is definitely a game I've been waiting for. I know the Zags will be ready. It will be nice to have our whole team playing, and I know we are playing better defense now, which will make a big difference. I remember that game well, and the Zags were definitely suffering from the flu. Their energy level was so low. I would say that that was their worst game this year. I believe that bug is gone, for the most part.

I would love to see our Ninja shooters appear again. I miss seeing those long range shots fall through the basket. I am hoping to see better offense from our guards. It seems like it's been so hard for them lately to get open for good shots. I'm excited to see if the coaches have addressed this issue and have done some things to try to get the guards open. If Pangos continues to have difficulty scoring, I would like to see Dranginis get more aggressive on offense. I think that that has been part of the problem. Since Gary has come back, Kyle seems to have become more passive on offense. The offense, imo, has become too one dimensional, and that needs to change. When Gary was out, Kyle was beginning to get his confidence on the offensive end, and I was really happy to see it. But he has gone back to being more of a passer.

I am hoping to see the kind of energy that the Zags had against BYU. I thought that that was their best game this year. I am sure the Kennel Club gets that energy going. Looking for a lot of noise in K2.....Let's get hot!!!

Go Zags!!!

I really believe this whole week we will not come out flat at all, and more importantly for this game we won't. I expect we will come out guns' blazing. Barham will get a lot of looks that he certainly didn't last week and quite frankly Bell will continue his shooting games as well. Obviously Pangos has been limited in the offensive role lately, and I don't think that will change. I want a blowout, baaaaaad. Sharp will have his 12, Vander mars will get 10, don't get me started on the others.

I say Zags win 88-61. I really don't see how Portland wins this game. You know the K2 will know the importance of this game as well.

23dpg
02-04-2014, 06:48 AM
Zags 78
Pilots 57

Quick question. Is Root Sports shown in San Diego? I'm going down there on Wednesday and want to see the game!!

Hoopaholic
02-04-2014, 06:50 AM
Zags 78
Pilots 57

Quick question. Is Root Sports shown in San Diego? I'm going down there on Wednesday and want to see the game!!

yes it is available if the person has the sports package ....

gonzagafan62
02-04-2014, 07:01 AM
Zags 78
Pilots 57

Yes, I live in Missouri and I get Root Sports, and I get the sports package.

wnczagfan
02-04-2014, 07:06 AM
My prediction story....

The Kennel Club is so loud and the building shakes so much that the Pilots wet their shorts. Restricted in movement due to chafing, and disoriented by the fan noise, the Pilots are unable to get even one shot to hit the rim in the first half. The Zags begin to look bored and discontinue scoring, a la the Battle in Seattle.

Refreshed in the second half after changing unis, the Pilots are able to reorient themselves. This is also in no small part due to the Kennel Club seats being empty , as the students are late getting back from the half due to the confusion over which carvery line was for pork and which was for beef.

The Pilots claw their way back, frightening Mark Few into changing to a new lineup, to be forever known as the "five guard" lineup. This confuses the Pilots, who don't know who to guard, and the Zags go on a tremendous run to win the game.

Zags 72

Pilots 55

P.S. The announcers select some guy named Barnum as the player of the game, though strangely this name does not appear on either roster

wiszag
02-04-2014, 07:52 AM
Yes, I live in Missouri and I get Root Sports, and I get the sports package.

I'll be staying in St. Louis that night on my way to the Memphis game.

buenaparkzag
02-04-2014, 07:53 AM
Zags 78
Pilots 57

DirecTV w/ sports pack. CH 687 in OC

gonzagafan62
02-04-2014, 08:19 AM
I'll be staying in St. Louis that night on my way to the Memphis game.

I am about 60 miles West on I44 from St. Louis.

exclusivelee
02-04-2014, 10:10 AM
Last time we played Portland, Gary Bell was still injured and Shem caught the flu that week, only getting back to practice the day before or day of the game.

We really need top notch perimeter defense against the Pilots. Bobby Sharp may come off the bench for them, but wow does his 3 point jumper look like a thing of beauty.

Bobby Sharp of Portland has a sweet jumper

Maybe he is a bit streakier, but he has seemed to shoot well from 3 against tougher opponents:

5/11 vs Oregon State
3/8 vs Michigan State
4/6 vs San Francisco
1/2 vs Saint Mary's
4/8 vs Gonzaga
8/13 vs BYU
2/5 vs San Francisco

40.4% from 3 on the season

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/bobby-sharp-1/gamelog/

but, it's not just him:

Bryce Pressley: 46.9% from 3 (2/2 against GU)
Kevin Bailey: 40.9% from 3 (1/1 against GU)
Alec Wintering: 39.0% from 3 (1/2 against GU)

the 4 of them combined for 8/13 from 3 against GU

and they have some quality big men in Thomas van der Mars and Ryan Nicholas, who combine to average 25.2 points, 16 rebounds, & 2.1 assists

sittingon50
02-04-2014, 10:48 AM
43-8.

MTZag03
02-04-2014, 11:27 AM
P.S. The announcers select some guy named Barnum as the player of the game, though strangely this name does not appear on either roster

I'm a big fan of Barnum. I also really like Pango. Not sure which of those two will have the biggest game.

jpwils
02-04-2014, 12:10 PM
I'm a big fan of Barnum. I also really like Pango. Not sure which of those two will have the biggest game.

Zags need to serve notice to rest of conference that paybacks are a b.....

Our BIGS need to show who's boss to Vanderwhatever and Sharp needs to get dulled!!!

All hands on deck- this is our march to the Big Dance now- hard games ahead at BYU and at SMC.

Hope the whole team starts crashing the boards like Dranginis did the other nite.

Our 3- ball shooters need to take note that their first shots need to go in or Coleman is coming in to kick some butt . No more 1-5's...no more nice floor game by Stox- make shots and be a plus vs the guy you are guarding or come out and watch! Same for Pangos!

MTZag03
02-04-2014, 01:25 PM
I was joking in my spelling there. A lot gets missed in text.

wnczagfan
02-04-2014, 02:55 PM
I was joking in my spelling there. A lot gets missed in text.

I followed you, thanks! My other favorite is Griffin Connor. That's one reason I'm not so hard on Heister; at least he know the players names. That, and he's a total homer.

BaldguyZag
02-04-2014, 07:03 PM
Sweet revenge!
Zags 85
Pilots 62

Just win baby!

maynard g krebs
02-04-2014, 07:11 PM
79-63. Karnowski shatters a backboard.

bballbeachbum
02-04-2014, 07:24 PM
GBj will make a difference, definitely missed his game last time out vs. Portland. Looking forward to watching the GBj KD GC perimeter defensive trifecta mess Portland up and for Shem and Sam to continue doing their things

Kevin will shoot better because it's in the Kennel and David hits a couple of 3s

hondo
02-04-2014, 07:29 PM
Why is this game not showing up on my menu of games on the W upcoming games?

ZagsGoZags
02-04-2014, 07:34 PM
everybody, and everybody's grandmother seems to expecting zags thrash them
maybe a lot of Portland fans are expecting a thrashing

I am uneasy with these type of unanimous assumptions on the board

I would rather have everyone expecting a war that we might not win unless we leave it on the floor

wnczagfan
02-04-2014, 08:37 PM
Why is this game not showing up on my menu of games on the W upcoming games?

I just checked and it's showing up on my schedule on thew.tv under Watch Live>Wednesday February 5th Portland at Gonzaga.

Perhaps it is blacked out in your area?

Zagsker
02-04-2014, 08:45 PM
BULLDOGS-84
PILOTS-57

We destroy them!!!!!

Reborn
02-05-2014, 05:38 AM
It's game day. There just isn't any other day like it. I'm smiling in anticipation of a really great game tonight, much like the BYU game. The scoring will be up from our last couple of games. The Zags are home: so I'm anticipating a lot better shooting. I can hardly wait to see THAT. I have a much better feeling when the Zags play at home. I'm sure the Kennel Club will be on fire tonight, as they begin to realize that there are only 3 more games at home this year. Gosh this season is going by so fast.

It feels good to know that our team is pretty healthy right now. The healthiest we've been in a long time. It's going to be very interesting to see how different the Zags look tonight vs how they looked in Portland.

Hoopaholic
02-05-2014, 05:50 AM
I am sensing a big break out, domination in the paint and good solid shooting

Zags 74
Portland 58

DixieZag
02-05-2014, 06:49 AM
Zags destroy them, Portland shooters never see daylight.

MTZag03
02-05-2014, 06:59 AM
I agree with the sentiment that GU makes a statement tonight. We are playing great D right now, and are due for a good offensive showing. Portland's D is not too worrying. We are getting healthy and I'm sure the players feel they owe one to UP after the game there. I just have a feeling this one will be over at the half, no disrespect to a rising Portland team.

GU 92
UP 68

jim77
02-05-2014, 07:26 AM
Is Portland for real? I'm afraid they are....and a victory at GU central lets the conference know the real deal. Pilots 68 Zags 65

wnczagfan
02-05-2014, 08:48 AM
everybody, and everybody's grandmother seems to expecting zags thrash them
maybe a lot of Portland fans are expecting a thrashing

I am uneasy with these type of unanimous assumptions on the board

I would rather have everyone expecting a war that we might not win unless we leave it on the floor

I certainly see your point, and there are some questions that arise after Portland's total handling of us in the last game; were we just sick and injured, or does Portland finally have our number? Will the players come out with renewed enthusiasm and a will to win? Did the coaches prepare them adequately? Will our shooting percentage at home rise to its usual level? It certainly is a lot to think about.

That being said, and I can only speak for myself, my prediction of a solid win was really made in the spirit of:

"Let's Go Baby! Let's cut them to shreds with Kyle Dranginis' elbow! Let's stomp them with Pangos' turf toe! Let's slap them around with Gary Bell's broken hand! Let's sneeze on them with Gerard's flu! Let's kick their keesters with our Heister all the way back to Portland, Baby, because this is OUR house! And Portland won't get a W in OUR house, because they ain't Nevvvvver got a W in OUR house! Now THAT'S what I am talking about!"

At least that was the impetus behind my personal prediction.

Hoopaholic
02-05-2014, 08:59 AM
Is Portland for real? I'm afraid they are....and a victory at GU central lets the conference know the real deal. Pilots 68 Zags 65

if they are "for real" why have they struggled on the road?

77Zag
02-05-2014, 09:58 AM
Zags - 88
Ports - 69

Go Zags - Beat the Pilots!

Zagger
02-05-2014, 09:59 AM
The Pilots will put up a good fight but Zags win by 10+. High scorer on Zags = Dower or Bell. I think we'll see some excellent play by Nunez and Coleman. Kevin's foot has me worried about his scoring and overall performance. He'll be needed in good shape for Memphis on Saturday. It may be best if he saw limited time tonight. Zag defense, especially with Bell back, will be the point spread decider.

stevet75
02-05-2014, 10:20 AM
Portland wants this one badly and plays hard and tough, but Zags want it too. Zags 79 Portland 68

Zippyzaggy
02-05-2014, 10:29 AM
Portland "Pilots" crash and burn.

Definitely not looking past this game to Memphis. Zags by 20 plus.

Zagdawg
02-05-2014, 10:41 AM
Zags will be looking for a little revenge/payback.

Zags by 15-20

Zags11
02-05-2014, 12:06 PM
81 to 67 zags.

pangos with 23.

Kiddwell
02-05-2014, 12:11 PM
Pilots Adrift, a poem
<ahem>
Roses are red,
The Pilots are boaters,
We beat 'em dead,
With lay-ins and floaters.

-----
Pilots - 62
Zags - 88

:]

RenoZag
02-05-2014, 04:24 PM
Zags 72
Pilots 67

TheGonzagaFactor
02-05-2014, 05:07 PM
if they are "for real" why have they struggled on the road?

If they played every game with the intensity that they did vs GU they would be "for real", but they don't... so they aren't.

Reveno is not an above average coach. It surprises me that he gets so much respect around here with zero NCAA appearances and just one win over GU in 15 tries. His guys showed they are capable of playing pretty well, but he does NOT motivate them like that every game. Good coaches are good motivators. If he did, they would win more. They are a .500 WCC team for a reason, and that reason isn't a lack of talent.

RenoZag
02-05-2014, 09:18 PM
If tonight was a statement game, it appears the statement is: Zags can have atrocious dry spells on offense.

Happy they got the win against a scrappy Pilots squad.

Hoopaholic
02-05-2014, 09:20 PM
If they played every game with the intensity that they did vs GU they would be "for real", but they don't... so they aren't.

Reveno is not an above average coach. It surprises me that he gets so much respect around here with zero NCAA appearances and just one win over GU in 15 tries. His guys showed they are capable of playing pretty well, but he does NOT motivate them like that every game. Good coaches are good motivators. If he did, they would win more. They are a .500 WCC team for a reason, and that reason isn't a lack of talent.

We can agree to disagree on reveno...he maximizes the talent he has every year in my opinion

Reborn
02-05-2014, 09:32 PM
I only missed Portland's points by one. Good job defense for most of the game. The offense really let me down the second half until the last four minutes. No problem though. I was still a gutsy win for the Zags. Go get Memphis Saturday Zags!!!

Go Zags!!!

Hoopaholic
02-05-2014, 09:36 PM
I only missed Portland's points by one. Good job defense for most of the game. The offense really let me down the second half until the last four minutes. No problem though. I was still a gutsy win for the Zags. Go get Memphis Saturday Zags!!!

Go Zags!!!

I love you reborn but we gave up 43 points second half. Defense was a no show second half but was exceptional the first half

Reborn
02-05-2014, 09:39 PM
I love you reborn but we gave up 43 points second half. Defense was a no show second half but was exceptional the first half

However, we also shut them down at the end. Was it the final 2 or 3 minutes? The defense was bad for most of the second half. You are right. Still holding Portland to 66 is good overall.

Hoopaholic
02-05-2014, 09:41 PM
However, we also shut them down at the end. Was it the final 2 or 3 minutes? The defense was bad for most of the second half. You are right. Still holding Portland to 66 is good overall.

They scored 8 points in last two minutes.....

Reborn
02-05-2014, 09:48 PM
Go Zags!!! We Love You! On to Memphis!!!