• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gonzagafan62
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2013

Is It good for the WCC as a WHOLE

Sorry If you guys have already discussed this, but I have not seen this yet, until today, so bear with me and my rant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_We...all_Tournament

For the #1 and #2 seeds to have to start the WCC tournament in the second round? They used to start playing in the semifinals (which I liked) and now they have to win 3 games? I think this will hurt the league in the very near future, and potentially this year (Saint Mary's, BYU, and Gonzaga)...

First off, there are no real wins that can help either of the three teams above on getting a realistic shot at an at large berth. Secondly, even if you are the #3 team and have to play in quarterfinal play, that's what the regular season is for. Win your dang games.

Secondly, I really think that the regular season is being compromised a bit, because we SHOULD have the two best teams play in the semi-finals.

And Lastly, I know we had only 9 teams last year, and we didn't compromise the tournament at all really but had a play-in game. Why not have 2 play in games, and have the tournament go on as normal? I liked the untraditional tournament that doesn't compromise the regular season, yet rewards you for A) having the best record... B) beating your rivals... and C) puts you in line for the tournament berth.

I really do not like this stupid "traditional" format on the WCC Tournament. What really do the winners of the regular season gain by making them play more games? Leave it alone!!!!! The rest of the league is still alive till the bitter end, but keeps the better teams out of danger longer. This is terrible.
    Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.
  • cjm720
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

Interesting, hadn't noticed that the seeding/playoffs had changed, thanks for posting.

I really disliked the old format where some teams had to win 4 games and the top seeds would only have to win 2 games to make the auto-bid. I disliked it because I thought it was an unfair advantage, albeit one that usually helped the Zags.

I would have liked to see the seeding realign after every game, so the #1 seed plays the lowest numbered seed still around (similar to the NFL).
    Go Zags!!!

Comment

• gonzagafan62
      Zag for Life
      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by cjm720 View Post
      Interesting, hadn't noticed that the seeding/playoffs had changed, thanks for posting.

I really disliked the old format where some teams had to win 4 games and the top seeds would only have to win 2 games to make the auto-bid. I disliked it because I thought it was an unfair advantage, albeit one that usually helped the Zags.

I would have liked to see the seeding realign after every game, so the #1 seed plays the lowest numbered seed still around (similar to the NFL).
      I see your point, but I think that all the work that has gone on, and you still have to play potentially the last ranked team in your conference again. I mean really? I guess if you are the number one team in the conference you SHOULDNT have a problem with them, but I think its crazy and will end up burning the conference trying to get in more than just one team every year. That's the way I see it, but then again, I can see the other side of things too.

15 Straight Round of 32s

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

$$$$$$$$$$$

Comment

• gonzagafan62
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2013

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
          $$$$$$$$$$$
          We know its for the money Jazz. Maybe for the money they spend going to these silly NCAA Tournament games, right?

15 Straight Round of 32s

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

Comment

• cjm720
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2007

Most conferences are set up like this anyway, as you pointed out. Just another obstacle and also helps to explain out our limited OOC schedule this year.
            Go Zags!!!

Comment

• Zagdawg
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

As we are aware the top seeds should win -- but as it has been pointed out previously -- it adds one more lower RPI game to our schedule.

I like the idea of the play in that is mentioned above -- but the $ idea is to get the Gonzaga/BYU/St Marys fans to the arena a little bit earlier (a day) rather than the 20 fans that will travel with the bottom end of the WCC.

Can you imagine the creative camerawork that would need to be done if anyone televised the playin game with the 20 fans that would show up.

As Jazz mentioned.....it's all about the $$$ and the upper end teams bring it in to the WCC.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
                We know its for the money Jazz. Maybe for the money they spend going to these silly NCAA Tournament games, right?
                I don't understand what you are saying. The NCAA pays the schools to participate in its tourney.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

So our first game will be Saturday then Monday then Tuesday (if we continue to win).

The Championship game will occur Tuesday.

Overall (1st games Thursday, 2nd games Saturday, 3rd games Monday and 4th game Tuesday).
                  Days off on Friday and Sunday.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
                    So our first game will be Saturday then Monday then Tuesday (if we continue to win).

The Championship game will occur Tuesday.

Overall (1st games Thursday, 2nd games Saturday, 3rd games Monday and 4th game Tuesday).
                    Days off on Friday and Sunday.
                    Yup. Would Anthony Ireland's last year performance in the WCC knock off the Zags? Remember I think they played 3 days in a row (maybe 3 of 4) before playing GU which was a great advantage in the postseason.

15 Straight Round of 32s

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

Comment

• gonzagafan62
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                      I don't understand what you are saying.
                      Most teams lose $$$$$ by advancing further in the tournament (short term obviously)

EDIT: And I am not sure how the WCC payout is for teams continuing to advance in the WCC tournament is, but I joked that they can pay us the one game extra to go advance In the NCAA's.

15 Straight Round of 32s

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

No. In the NCAA big dance the longer a team goes the more $$$$ it and it's league gets. The WCC is prob a flat fee for all.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Article that talks about what each team/conference gets for playing and winning in the dance from Forbes magazine last year.

Game unit is up to $250K per year for 6 years -- so playing in a game pays out $1.5 million to the conference (and they divide it across all the schools) -- and for each additional win you just keep adding an additional $1.5 mil (for this upcoming dance).

Plenty of fans have money riding on the NCAA tournament, but schools do as well. NCAA conference distributions reward successful tournament play, and a single victory is worth more than $1.5 million.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
                            Article that talks about what each team/conference gets for playing and winning in the dance from Forbes magazine last year.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmi...h-1-5-million/
                            Excellent, great find ZD.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2013

Like I said its for the short term, but Wichita State lost money for making the Final Four.

15 Straight Round of 32s

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

Comment

Working...
                              X