Zags Reenter AP Poll at #23 (237 votes)... up from #27 & 51 votes last week

http://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll

Memphis at #24 (114 votes)

gonzagafan62
02-03-2014, 08:33 AM
Ill take it. I just like being ranked.

cjm720
02-03-2014, 08:36 AM
Sweet, and Memphis didn't drop out! Let's both win until Saturday.

DixieZag
02-03-2014, 08:36 AM
I like being ranked too.

Especially since next weekend, all eyes will be on us for the first and perhaps only time this year. If we play well against Memphis, it will really buttress our hopes for a decent seed. It might also give the guys some momentum going into that brutal stretch at the end of the month. Memphis maybe one of the most important (in terms of season meaning) regular season games we've had in a long time.

gomemphistigers1
02-03-2014, 08:41 AM
It's so nice leaving CUSA for a real conference...you can drop a game and it's not the end if the world.

buenaparkzag
02-03-2014, 08:45 AM
About time.

exclusivelee
02-03-2014, 08:49 AM
It's so nice leaving CUSA for a real conference...you can drop a game and it's not the end if the world.

I have a feeling that the American Athletic Conference will not remain such a good conference for much longer. Louisville is escaping to the greener pastures of the ACC, and chances are that UConn and Cincy will bolt elsewhere soon enough

Hoopaholic
02-03-2014, 08:55 AM
I like being ranked too.

Especially since next weekend, all eyes will be on us for the first and perhaps only time this year. If we play well against Memphis, it will really buttress our hopes for a decent seed. It might also give the guys some momentum going into that brutal stretch at the end of the month. Memphis maybe one of the most important (in terms of season meaning) regular season games we've had in a long time.

lets focus on Portland....as we lost to them and certainly a double loss would have significant negative impact on our season long goals

NotoriousZ
02-03-2014, 09:20 AM
Thank goodness, our media attention is back! Keep winning fellas!

exclusivelee
02-03-2014, 09:24 AM
Gonzaga at #20 in Coaches' Poll (214 votes)... up from #24 & 114 votes last week

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaab/polls/

Memphis fell to #26

cbbfanatic
02-03-2014, 09:42 AM
I have a feeling that the American Athletic Conference will not remain such a good conference for much longer. Louisville is escaping to the greener pastures of the ACC, and chances are that UConn and Cincy will bolt elsewhere soon enough

huge loss losing louisville. agree that cincy and uconn will leave a first chance... question is, when will that be? could be awhile.

in any case, i agree, not a terribly strong league. better than old CUSA, for sure. but by how much?

gomemphistigers1
02-03-2014, 09:48 AM

1) that has no effect on this season, so I plan to enjoy it.

2) Louisville leaves, but Temple won't stay down...they will step up to help fill the void.

3) ACC isn't expanding...Big 12 could have taken Cincy/UConn/UCF at anytime...Texas and OU don't want to split their money with any team that doesn't add value to the conference...the Big 12 wants BYU and ND...not Cincy and UConn.

UConn, Cincy, Memphis, SMU, Temple sure is a lot more fun than CUSA.

Should be a fun game Sat...I'm expecting a packed house...glad ESPN got their top-25 match up

gomemphistigers1
02-03-2014, 09:56 AM
huge loss losing louisville. agree that cincy and uconn will leave a first chance... question is, when will that be? could be awhile.

in any case, i agree, not a terribly strong league. better than old CUSA, for sure. but by how much?

For starters the AAC begins it's existence with 123 million dollars earned in departure fees, NCAA credits, and BCS bowl payouts of defecting members that the conference will keep...that money is split 60-40 (old teams-new teams) for the first 5 years.

Our ESPN contract pays 2 million per team, per year...with MUCH better exposure than CUSA

So for the first 5 years, if you include TV money and "war chest" funds...

UConn, Cincy, USF get just over 6 million dollars per team, per year, for the first 5 years.

The rest of us get just over 3 million dollars per team, per year, for the first 5 years.

That's over 3x what we got in CUSA...plus better exposure.

In football: UCF, Cincy, ECU, Houston, Navy, etc is A LOT better than playing UAB, La Tech, FIU, UTSA, ODU, etc in CUSA

In hoops: UConn, Cincy, Memphis, Temple, SMU, etc is SO much better than the craptastic CUSA.

kitzbuel
02-03-2014, 10:43 AM
lets focus on Portland....as we lost to them and certainly a double loss would have significant negative impact on our season long goals

I am way stoked about the Memphis game. I know many of us are going to want to focus on Portland first, but, IMO, that is the coaches' job. I am a fan and I can focus on whatever I want! :) I want to focus on Memphis. I think it is very cool that the rivalry is continuing. I really like the game in the middle of the Conference schedule since it gives us a chance to pop back up on the national picture.

I will love it even more if we escape with a W of course and I look forward to a very entertaining game.

Hoopaholic
02-03-2014, 11:07 AM
I am way stoked about the Memphis game. I know many of us are going to want to focus on Portland first, but, IMO, that is the coaches' job. I am a fan and I can focus on whatever I want! :) I want to focus on Memphis. I think it is very cool that the rivalry is continuing. I really like the game in the middle of the Conference schedule since it gives us a chance to pop back up on the national picture.

I will love it even more if we escape with a W of course and I look forward to a very entertaining game.

I am way more stoked on extracting revenge Wednesday

RenoZag
02-03-2014, 11:21 AM
Q: When's the last time Gonzaga won when they were featured on ESPN's Game Day ?

A: 2/11/2006 @ GU. Zags knocked off Stanford

gonzagafan62
02-03-2014, 11:22 AM
When's the last time Gonzaga won when they were featured on ESPN's Game Day ?

SEE we are due!

Reborn
02-03-2014, 12:42 PM
It's good to see Gonzaga back in the AP poll. They deserve it after having a very successful week on the road. After looking over the teams ranked ahead of us, I believe that there is still room to move up if we can be successful this week too. If the Zags can beat Memphis, it will help them later on with the selection committee for the NCAA Tournament. But more important then that, it will give the Zags the confidence that they will need to face that dreaded 4 game road trip at the end of conference play.

Go Zags!!!

ZagsGoZags
02-03-2014, 08:15 PM
On three of four polls we are ranked above Memphis.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/rankings

I would expect Las Vegas odds will still favor Memphis. I am nervous about this game because of the great number of times they have had our number recently, and beating us by one point in our own Arena.

It is definitely time to add a win against Memphis to help get the series record with them look a little more balanced.
Plus we need a 'good' win real, real bad.

MDABE80
02-03-2014, 10:22 PM
Memphis at home is not likely to result in a victory.

TexasZagFan
02-04-2014, 05:41 AM
Memphis at home is not likely to result in a victory.

Tough place to play, and Memphis is tough at home. We'll be there regardless...only an 8 hour drive from home. Another three hours in the other direction, and we'd be in El Paso.

bigblahla
02-04-2014, 06:40 AM
Tough place to play, and Memphis is tough at home. We'll be there regardless...only an 8 hour drive from home. Another three hours in the other direction, and we'd be in El Paso.

El Paso....Slowly I turn step by step errrrr.....oops....sorry that's Niagara Falls. ;)

Go!! Zags!!!