PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs San Francisco...post game thoughts

Reborn
02-02-2014, 08:27 AM
Nice win. Wow! The Zags did it. They completed the week with a very nice win over the Dons in San Francisco to once again go 2-0 on the road. It was as much a rugby match as it was a basketball game, and Kyle Dranginis was the star in the rugby match, as he muscled his way into securing 12 rebounds and spilling his own team mate's (PK's) blood all over the court. He left a very nice gash under Karnowski's right eye. Pangos was injured early in the game and hobbled off the court. Thank God he was able to come back shortly after, but he wasn't able to play much basketball; so he turned to his knowledge of hockey in order to have some old fashioned Canadian fun. As much as KD was the star of the rugby match, Sam Dower was clearly the star of the basketball game. He certainly knows what to do with a basketball. He was unbelievable one more time. San Francisco clearly did not have a way of containing Sam, as he scored 24 points. It seems when Gonzaga needs scoring the most that Sam Dower has answered the call.

The Zags were rewarded for their intelligence and toughness as they went to the foul line 41 times and made 34 of them for for 83% as a team. Their toughness on defense was their offense in the end as they scored almost half of their points from the foul line. Shooting foul shots, and making them, is something that I think most of us have been hoping to see more of because there are games where the Zags have gone to the foul line under 15 times.

One of the things that I hoped to see in the game, and something that I felt would be important, was rebounding. The Zags were ready this time to beat the Dons on the boards, and they did 40-35.

In many ways the game was very similar to the game Wednesday night against Santa Clara. The Zags managed to get a nice comfortable 10 pt lead with about 4 minutes to go in the game. In a similar way, the Dons were able to cut that lead quickly to 7 points with a 3 point shot. But on this night, the Zags seemed to learn from that game Wednesday night, they played a lot smarter down the stretch and shot foul shot after foul shot the rest of the game making 15 of 18 of them. There have been times this year when the Zags have not shot well at the line, and especially PK. I guess Walters was hoping that this would be one of those nights. It wasn't, and PK canned 3 of 4 down the stretch.

Winning both of these games this week on the road was a huge challenge for the Zags. I think they are beginning to show who they are. As I've said recently several times, they are certainly a very different Zag team, but like those who have done the best this team finds a way to win.

caduceus
02-02-2014, 11:18 AM
Strange game. Season high for free throws made (34), season low for assists made (5). Stocks had 5 steals (a team season high), Dranginis had a career rebounding night with 12 (8 offensive), and Dower scored a smooth 24 on offense.

Here's the advanced player stats for the game:

On Court
Off Court
Player MIN RR +/- + - +/- + - K. Pangos 31 6 8 60 -52 2 15 -13 G. Bell 30 24 17 66 -49 -7 9 -16 D. Stockton 26 -6 2 46 -44 8 29 -21 P. Karnowski 26 0 5 39 -34 5 36 -31 S. Dower 34 -6 2 62 -60 8 13 -5 G. Coleman 5 -8 1 8 -7 9 67 -58 A. Nunez 5 4 7 15 -8 3 60 -57 K. Dranginis 29 6 8 56 -48 2 19 -17 R. Edwards 2 -12 -1 2 -3 11 73 -62 D. Barham 12 -8 1 21 -20 9 54 -45

+ = Team points scored while on court
- = Opponent points allowed while on court
+/- = Team points scored minus Opp points allowed
Off Court = Team points scored/allowed while off court
RR (Roland Rating) = On Court +/- minus Off Court +/-

Overall, the team played best when GBJ was on the court, as evidenced by his highest Roland Rating for the game. Pangos and Dranginis were second highest.
Edwards, Coleman and Barham had the lowest RR's.

Hoopaholic
02-02-2014, 11:35 AM
Bell is a critical component to our success on both sides of the court and many things he does are not flashy or go noticed ........

interesting RR especially with Dower.......kinda surprised me it was that low

DixieZag
02-02-2014, 12:15 PM
Agree about Bell - - I really try to watch him on D, his man either doesn't get the ball or gives it up quick, and he slides through screens better than anyone.

I'm not sure how good we are. The toughest road games are staring us in the eyes coming up. But, we tough, I think that game was far chippier than our WCC employed apologists announcing team ever let on and we gave as good as we got, without giving too much back.

Tough teams do better on the road - I'm optimistic, Saturday will define a lot of our season. Win that game and we're back around #20 and looking at a decent seed if we lose one after that (which we very likely will - - more likely

ezcure17
02-02-2014, 12:51 PM
One thing I would like to see LESS of ... is sending our center out to double team the other teams' point guard..WAY out at the top of the key. This play almost NEVER works. Rewatch last night's game, and see how many times this happens..all that comes out of it is the PG blows past whoever does it, leaving a very open key, which results in either an uncontested drive to the basket or someone else's man has to help out either fouling them, or in case of a miss, puts HIM out or rebounding position. We have almost 2 7 footers out there, let them stay underneath the hoop. Make the opposing shot that much tougher, and we might get a few more rebounds out of it.
It is not just this year this happens, it's every year. Our PG's are pretty good at guarding their man without help from our Centers.

john montana
02-02-2014, 01:05 PM
One thing I would like to see LESS of ... is sending our center out to double team the other teams' point guard..WAY out at the top of the key. This play almost NEVER works. Rewatch last night's game, and see how many times this happens..all that comes out of it is the PG blows past whoever does it, leaving a very open key, which results in either an uncontested drive to the basket or someone else's man has to help out either fouling them, or in case of a miss, puts HIM out or rebounding position. We have almost 2 7 footers out there, let them stay underneath the hoop. Make the opposing shot that much tougher, and we might get a few more rebounds out of it.
It is not just this year this happens, it's every year. Our PG's are pretty good at guarding their man without help from our Centers.

Had to hard hedge last night. Holmes is their best shooter and if we didn't hedge out hard on the high pick and roll our guard would just get caught up in the screen and give up and open three off of a rhythm dribble. Our pick and roll d was pretty solid last night. Where we gave up threes was mostly off of penetration from the wing(not on pick and rolls but close outs) and Stockton inexplicably gambling and leaving to double. Watch the end of the first half...stocks just flat out runs away from Holmes to double Dickerson 20 feet from the hoop and Holmes of course buried the the three. I actually think PK and dower have been great at the high hedge this year.

Zagdawg
02-02-2014, 01:06 PM
When our guards are picked out top because the opposing team brings their big out to do it--our big staying with the opposing guard for an extra couple seconds allows our guard to get back into place defensively.

It works --thats why the Zags and a good number of other teams do it.

MTZag03
02-02-2014, 01:38 PM
Sacre used to hedge all the time. It can really work so long as your center gets back quick enough. I have not rewatched it, but I can believe that Karno is just a tad slow returning to position given his size. Either way, our defense seemed disruptive enough to limit a good offensive team so I'll take it.

RenoZag
02-02-2014, 02:08 PM
Post game interview with Rex Walters; gives a lot of credit to the Zags "D" and also has some compliments for the program, though he doesn't care to pronounce the name of the school correctly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAshrjmH1BM

VinnyZag
02-02-2014, 02:10 PM
Hedging the ball screen has been the default strategy the past few years. Except those SMC games, when they insisted on switching Sacre onto Dellavadova, to disastrous result.

I actually think the hedge has worked better this year than in the past.

Interesting defensive twist last night was doubling the post. Hasn't seen them do that before.

Mantua
02-02-2014, 02:48 PM
Yes the Zags are tough, but when the opposing teams think they can win if they resort to being more physical I worry about the players.

Zippyzaggy
02-02-2014, 04:35 PM
My post game thought is about the health of Dranginis' elbow.

Anyone else see at the end of the game the closeup where he was pulling up his Zag jersey, giving a shoutout and homage to the Zag fans in attendance? His left elbow had a bruise on it the size of an orange.

It looked like he had been in a car wreck, woops, he had...with Karnowski's face! Hopefully, it does not negatively affect his upcoming play.

Oregonzagnut
02-02-2014, 08:39 PM
Yes the Zags are tough, but when the opposing teams think they can win if they resort to being more physical I worry about the players.

Thats all they had and with Rex as the coach, IMO HE employed that tactic, not necessarily the players.

bigblahla
02-03-2014, 07:03 AM
Thats all they had and with Rex as the coach, IMO HE employed that tactic, not necessarily the players.

I disagree with your opinion. I like Rex always have. What he's done to improve the Dons with little to no help from his administration is admirable if you can get past the competitive nature of the WCC. The Dons are the closest thing to basketball royalty in the WCC and for that program to rise from the ashes means a heck of a lot more to the WCC than the Gaels run of the last few years. San Francisco is a destination city Moraga is not.

I've thought about the Doolin escapade long and hard and my view is his mouth wrote a check he couldn't cash and somewhere along the way he forgot there is no "I" in TEAM.

At the start of the Few era Pepperdine was the team to beat and SCU under Davey was always tough I'm hoping it's now the Don's turn to step up as I think it will raise the competition in the WCC and draw more national attention to the league. Rex is key to this happening for the Dons. Say or think what you want about him but he was not a dirty player and hasn't exhibited a propensity of being a dirty coach. Tough minded and competitive would be my description of him.

With all that being said I hope we beat the Dons each and every game we play against them.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

zagfan24
02-03-2014, 08:06 AM
The game against USF was a clear example of a well executed game plan. The Zags had a clear advantage in the paint and they appeared to make a concerted effort throughout to look for Dower and Karnowski on nearly every possession. One major strength of having Bell, Stockton, Pangos, and Dranginis rotating in is that they all have some "point guard" skills and all of them feed the post pretty well. Dower's advantage is that, at this point, he finishes a lot better through contact. I think PK will get there but it's going to mean continuing to add strength. Dower's ability to hit his free throws was also a major factor.

I was impressed with the Dons and think they played a tough game. They have a few guys that can really get to the bucket. Definitely will be a tough out come WCC tournament time.

Kiddwell
02-03-2014, 08:24 AM
I disagree with your opinion. I like Rex always have. What he's done to improve the Dons with little to no help from his administration is admirable if you can get past the competitive nature of the WCC. The Dons are the closest thing to basketball royalty in the WCC and for that program to rise from the ashes means a heck of a lot more to the WCC than the Gaels run of the last few years. San Francisco is a destination city Moraga is not.

I've thought about the Doolin escapade long and hard and my view is his mouth wrote a check he couldn't cash and somewhere along the way he forgot there is no "I" in TEAM.

At the start of the Few era Pepperdine was the team to beat and SCU under Davey was always tough I'm hoping it's now the Don's turn to step up as I think it will raise the competition in the WCC and draw more national attention to the league. Rex is key to this happening for the Dons. Say or think what you want about him but he was not a dirty player and hasn't exhibited a propensity of being a dirty coach. Tough minded and competitive would be my description of him.

With all that being said I hope we beat the Dons each and every game we play against them.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Well-argued, intelligent post. :clap:

:]

Zagdawg
02-03-2014, 10:42 AM
Not a fan of Rex --- his tweets about the Zags and Sam have reinforced my negative program viewpoint along with the fans at their message board.

You may speculate that Doolin did something that he should not have and opted to leave the program -- but I speculate that it is a bit more than that as there have been quite a few more players leaving the program also -- and it was not due to playing time or all of them all being "selfish/bad apples".

Either way depending on the don program defections that occur this summer -- hopefully the program can continue to be competitive in the WCC.

Go Zags

BULLDOG#1
02-03-2014, 12:04 PM
I disagree with your opinion. I like Rex always have. What he's done to improve the Dons with little to no help from his administration is admirable if you can get past the competitive nature of the WCC.

Uh huh, so you liked Rex when he was posting negative remarks about zag players?
The guy is summer school.

bigblahla
02-03-2014, 12:53 PM
Uh huh, so you liked Rex when he was posting negative remarks about zag players?
The guy is summer school.

I don't pay much attention to nonsense but in this case thought I'd answer you.

Go!! Zags!!!

Zagdawg
02-03-2014, 01:21 PM
I wonder if Sam would start at San Francisco now?

Our buddy Rexs tweet.
RT @USFBBallCoach Note 2 GU TV. I like Dower as a player, but he wouldn't start @ USF. Please stop putting down rest of WCC 2 compliment GU

Also a story from a while back--

"Rex Walters suspended for WCC opener
By Diamond Leung

San Francisco coach Rex Walters has been suspended for next season's West Coast Conference opener and publicly reprimanded by the WCC due to a violation of the league's sportsmanship guidelines.

"The West Coast Conference and its membership take its sportsmanship principles and standards very seriously," WCC commissioner Jamie Zaninovich said Friday in a statement. "It is of the utmost importance for our coaches, student-athletes and administrators to represent the values of our institutions and the conference in an appropriate manner.

"I look forward to putting this matter behind us and working with the University of San Francisco and coach Walters as they continue to build a successful men's basketball program on the Hilltop."

Zaninovich and Walters each declined further comment.

Walters, the former Kansas and NBA player, led San Francisco to a 19-15 record in his third season and an appearance in the CollegeInsider.com tournament."

Along with some more classy tweets from Rex complaining about Root announcers calling a Zag game-- the funny thing -- he was tweeting his thoughts when he should have been working on his own teams game plan for the game his team was going to play.

Rex Walters @USFBBallCoach

Also don't like the fact that GU-TV shows the opponents BOB (baseline out of bounds) Plays...but won't show GU BOB Plays.

At least they should be able to figure out the correct standings if they are going to put it on the TV Screen.

Someone needs 2 let the Gonzaga TV network know that 3-5 (w-l) is better than 2-4. Bad enough that we have to listen to absolute HOMERS....

Another Walters tweet:
"Going to have to really research who would like to follow....all of the sudden got a lot of interest from GU Fans. Just want to be clear...I am not a GU Hater. Have a lot of respect 4 Mark and the Program he has up there. However, I'm not letting GU Fans follow me, why would I?"

I can see why you would respect a man of Rexs intellect and sportmanship-- the guy is a class act (insert sarcasm icon here) -- and I hope they keep him at san francisco for another 10 years (it's not like anyone is knocking on the door to hire him away)-- plus it will guarantee some more Zag wins.

Go Zags

jpwils
02-03-2014, 02:37 PM
I wonder if Sam would start at San Francisco now?

Our buddy Rexs tweet.
RT @USFBBallCoach Note 2 GU TV. I like Dower as a player, but he wouldn't start @ USF. Please stop putting down rest of WCC 2 compliment GU

Also a story from a while back--

"Rex Walters suspended for WCC opener
By Diamond Leung

San Francisco coach Rex Walters has been suspended for next season's West Coast Conference opener and publicly reprimanded by the WCC due to a violation of the league's sportsmanship guidelines.

"The West Coast Conference and its membership take its sportsmanship principles and standards very seriously," WCC commissioner Jamie Zaninovich said Friday in a statement. "It is of the utmost importance for our coaches, student-athletes and administrators to represent the values of our institutions and the conference in an appropriate manner.

"I look forward to putting this matter behind us and working with the University of San Francisco and coach Walters as they continue to build a successful men's basketball program on the Hilltop."

Zaninovich and Walters each declined further comment.

Walters, the former Kansas and NBA player, led San Francisco to a 19-15 record in his third season and an appearance in the CollegeInsider.com tournament."

Along with some more classy tweets from Rex complaining about Root announcers calling a Zag game-- the funny thing -- he was tweeting his thoughts when he should have been working on his own teams game plan for the game his team was going to play.

Also don't like the fact that GU-TV shows the opponents BOB (baseline out of bounds) Plays...but won't show GU BOB Plays.

At least they should be able to figure out the correct standings if they are going to put it on the TV Screen.

Someone needs 2 let the Gonzaga TV network know that 3-5 (w-l) is better than 2-4. Bad enough that we have to listen to absolute HOMERS....

Another Walters tweet:
"Going to have to really research who would like to follow....all of the sudden got a lot of interest from GU Fans. Just want to be clear...I am not a GU Hater. Have a lot of respect 4 Mark and the Program he has up there. However, I'm not letting GU Fans follow me, why would I?"

I can see why you would respect a man of Rexs intellect and sportmanship-- the guy is a class act (insert sarcasm icon here) -- and I hope they keep him at san francisco for another 10 years (it's not like anyone is knocking on the door to hire him away)-- plus it will guarantee some more Zag wins.

Go Zags
If Doolin was such a bad apple- why would Rex have put up with him this long?

Better to be like Mark Few- a bit boring but not giving the other team wallpaper quotes to spur them on all the time.

USF has proven to be a difficult place for the Zags to win- the locker room is one difficult place to win
if you keep giving the other team ammunition over time.

I am proud of our Zags and especially Dranginis for his workmanlike performances lately.

Karnowski has been doing a better job staying out of foul trouble lately- of course the forced locker room visit in first half against USF helped. Get well, Zags.

Mantua
02-03-2014, 02:45 PM

Yes, I assumed "opposing teams" included coaches. Coaches set the game plans. Rex seems to encourage the same physical emphasis in practices and maybe that has to do with the recent exodus. His current group is very muscular. I suspect that he is intentionally recruiting physical players.

BULLDOG#1
02-03-2014, 03:20 PM
I don't pay much attention to nonsense but in this case thought I'd answer you.

Go!! Zags!!!

summer school = no class.

MDABE80
02-03-2014, 04:10 PM
I don't like speaking ill of another coach. It's just not good. On the other hand, Dong Central and their muliple-personality chief Dong is pretty fair game......moresos if you like someone using multiple names but the same brain arguing a point or flailing madly looking for things to modify so they look bad for GU. Chief Dong is quite the unbalanced boy with little to show for his......whatever you call it.

The rest of that board is fine.;) The one thing about it is that DOng Central head man means nothing..........irrelevant. Who seriously would like to post there anyway? Years ago, I did....as did many here. The tone was/is no negative and hallucinatory, none of it mattered. The fish stinks from the head down........nothing much can come of that group while the leadership is what is it.

Zagdawg
02-03-2014, 04:17 PM
But how can you tell the difference between both the real posters and the others that are the alternate personalities of the chief?

Zagdawg
02-03-2014, 04:52 PM
Careful Frisco.......they will hunt you down and out your credit card number, phone number and address on the interweb in retaliation for you being civil toward the Zags.

I can see the 3-4 threads already starting on dons central about your post here.

It is great to have a civil dons fan post here tho-- agree the boys played well-- and your boys hung right with them.

Looking forward to the next time they play each other.

Good luck and watch your back.

bigblahla
02-03-2014, 05:20 PM
As to Rex tweeting about Sam not starting at USF... at that time he probably would not have.... however I'm pretty sure he could find a spot in his line-up for Sudden Sam now.

I doubt that was meant for Sam anyway more likely for the over zealous of our clan who claimed at the time that Gonzaga's 2nd 5 would all start in the WCC. As a coach I could see him tiring of it. I don't agree with his platform but it didn't change the opinion I have had of him since I watched him play in college. As I stated above tough minded and competitive.

For the record I've read much worse comments posted about Gonzaga players here on this board by.............Gonzaga fans.

Go!! Zags!!!