PDA

View Full Version : Sam POY?

ZagHouse
02-02-2014, 07:24 AM
I know there are still quite a few games left, and I know he is not putting up the points like Haws, but if we continue to separate from the rest of the pack and Sam keeps this pace....who else would it be? With Kelly leaving I think everyone assumed Sam would step up, but I don't think anyone was thinking WCC POY (except Sean Farnham a couple seasons ago).

adoptedzag
02-02-2014, 08:26 AM
I think the award is Haws' to lose. If he keeps BYU in the race and leads them to 2nd place (or god forbid, 1st), I think its his.

exclusivelee
02-02-2014, 08:35 AM
I think the award is Haws' to lose. If he keeps BYU in the race and leads them to 2nd place (or god forbid, 1st), I think its his.

Yeah I think it's a safe bet that everyone is playing for 2nd behind Tyler Haws. He has a lot of 30 point games this season, especially in conference play

ZagHouse
02-02-2014, 08:46 AM
Maybe it is just wishful thinking on my part, but if Sam continues his string of 20+ scoring games, I think it will be a toss up between the two.

TheGonzagaFactor
02-02-2014, 08:47 AM
I think Sam has a good shot. BYU already has 4 conference losses and will probably end up with 6-8 total. If we beat them by 5 games Sam could win it.

23dpg
02-02-2014, 08:51 AM
I also think that Haws is the favorite, but there's still a lot of basketball to be played. Dower, or Pangos could still win the award with a big second half and a few more losses by BYU.

Interestingly enough, I actually think that Collinsworth is the MVP of BYU. He doesn't have the eye-popping numbers that Haws has, but he does a little bit of everything. He kind of reminds me of Bouldin. If they ever figure it out defensively, they will be a tough team to beat.

Birddog
02-02-2014, 09:25 AM
I think the POY should go to Carlino. When he is in the game he makes all the teams BYU plays better.

exclusivelee
02-02-2014, 09:29 AM
I think Sam has a good shot. BYU already has 4 conference losses and will probably end up with 6-8 total. If we beat them by 5 games Sam could win it.

In the 2008-09 season, the WCC MVP was John Bryant from Santa Clara

Gonzaga finished 14-0 in the WCC while Santa Clara only was 7-7

Had a 7-game advantage on Santa Clara, yet none of our guys won WCC MVP

BULLDOG#1
02-02-2014, 09:41 AM
I bet sam gets serious consideration... Haws has been great, but if he's a huge scorer on a middle-of-the-pack BYU team, that could hurt him in the minds of voters. There's some more games to be played though, and I think BYU could win out. If they do, it's Haws' award.

The first few league games Sam was either sat out or played limited minutes with the injury. Since then, he's been a monster. There's real logic in giving the POY to the best player on the best team -- and in conference play, Sam has been just that for the Zags. Plus, he's a senior, and that probably somewhat matters to the league.

TheGonzagaFactor
02-02-2014, 10:28 AM

That's true. I just think if Sam keeps doing this and we win the league with 2 losses while they keep losing... Haws wouldn't be a lock for POY.

Sam is looking awesome, though. His shot is looking so smooth and he's more comfortable in traffic and taking contested shots. I'm always happy with the offense if Sam is getting a decent look. With Pangos playing hurt, Sam knows he is our best option and is playing like it.

former1dog
02-02-2014, 10:59 AM
+1

ZagaZags
02-02-2014, 09:13 PM
When was the last time the WCC had Co-Players Of The Year?

sittingon50
02-02-2014, 10:46 PM
06-07 Raivio & a kid from SCU whose name escapes me.

DixieZag
02-03-2014, 08:41 AM
06-07 Raivio & a kid from SCU whose name escapes me.

Bryant?

exclusivelee
02-03-2014, 08:57 AM
Bryant?

John Bryant won in 2008-09

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Coast_Conference_Men's_Basketball_Player_of_t he_Year

Sean Denison shared the WCC player of the year with Derek Raivio in the 2006-07 season

sittingon50
02-03-2014, 09:45 AM
Thanks for pickin' me up, 'lee. Most of us thought that Raivio should have won it outright. He made his point by totally outplaying the kid in the WCC Tourney, after the votes had been tabulated.

cjm720
02-03-2014, 09:49 AM
Probably Haws' to lose at this point...everyone loves the top scorer.

There are 5-8 guys that I'd rather have on my team so he wouldn't be my choice.

Question: would you rather have Johnny Dee or Haws as a starter on the Zags (assuming no displacement of existing players)?

kitzbuel
02-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Probably Haws' to lose at this point...everyone loves the top scorer.

There are 5-8 guys that I'd rather have on my team so he wouldn't be my choice.

Question: would you rather have Johnny Dee or Haws as a starter on the Zags (assuming no displacement of existing players)?

Pangos, GBJ, Haws, Sam and Shem.

RenoZag
02-03-2014, 12:08 PM
Haws picked up POW for last weekend's efforts. . .gives him 2 selections on the season.

CDC84
02-03-2014, 12:28 PM
It used to be that the league POY award almost always went to a player on the team who won the regular conference title.....even if that player didn't have a stat line of someone else in the league.

Haws is having an exceptional season, but I still think that BYU needs to keep winning games in order for him to win it. If BYU ends up in the bottom half of the standings, I do feel there needs to be a point where his team's performance should disqualify him. However, I don't see BYU falling to pieces. 4 of their next 7 are at home, and despite their struggles, they have the best talent in the league along with Gonzaga.

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-03-2014, 12:34 PM
I don't agree that TH is the frontrunner. Lots of guys have put up huge numbers and didn't even sniff the POY award because their teams weren't competing for a conference title. Dior Lowhorn comes to mind. Regardless of any push BYU makes in the second half of conference play, they've never been in this race.

exclusivelee
02-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Haws picked up POW for last weekend's efforts. . .gives him 2 selections on the season.

and there are 4 other weeks where Haws was nominated for WCC player of the week

Brad Waldow leads the way with 7 WCC POW nominations, yet 0 wins

http://www.wccsports.com/search/west-search.html?cx=013013334115952783228%3Albyvnirhtug&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&client=cbs-collegesports&channel=wccsports-search&q=men%27s+basketball+player+week&sa.x=0&sa.y=0&sa=Submit&siteurl=www.wccsports.com%2Fsports%2Fm-baskbl%2Fwest-m-baskbl-body.html&ref=www.wccsports.com%2F&ss=7211j3417123j28

POW Wins
POW Noms
TOTAL

Brad Waldow

Tyler Haws

Jared Brownridge

Brendan Lane

Kevin Pangos

Johnny Dee

Sam Dower

Stacy Davis

Thomas van der Mars

Cole Dickerson

Kruize Pinkins

Anthony Ireland

Bryce Pressley

Tony Gill

Chris Anderson

Gary Bell

Dennis Kramer

Andrew Bock

Malcolm Brooks

Skyler Halford

Stephen Holt

Avry Holmes

Drew Barham

Jett Raines

Matt Carlino

David Stockton

James Walker

Tim Derksen

TJ Wallace

Khalil Kelley

Jeremy Major

Ryan Nicholas

Kevin Bailey

Kyle Collinsworth

Sama Taku

zagfan24
02-03-2014, 02:18 PM
If (a big if) the Zags win out in the WCC and Sam can keep up his current clip, it's going to be tough to deny him at least a share of the award. Last 5 games he has averaged 20 points and hit 28 of 29 FT's. That's awfully impressive and goes along with pretty solid defense and rebounding (aside from the strange 1 rebound game against BYU) and a game-winning three vs. Santa Clara.

ZagsZombieNation
02-03-2014, 03:46 PM

I don't know that Heytvelt or Bouldin had a legitimate shot to win WCC POY that year compared to Bryant.

CDC84
02-03-2014, 04:36 PM
There was really nobody on that Gonzaga team that stood out enough, unfortunately. They were victims of having too much talent.

NumberCruncher
02-16-2014, 03:21 PM
My guess is they'll give it to Haws. KenPom.com has a new feature this year for best players in conference.
Here's his list as of today:

http://i.imgur.com/JlU6CwJ.gif

a13coach
02-16-2014, 04:57 PM
Who does the voting? If it is the coaches voting on players that they nominate and assuming a coach is not able vote for his own nomination then I think Haws will win it. No way Bennett, Rexy, or Keating votes for Sam when they have a legitimate alternate. JMHO

GoZags
02-16-2014, 05:49 PM
Thanks for pickin' me up, 'lee. Most of us thought that Raivio should have won it outright. He made his point by totally outplaying the kid in the WCC Tourney, after the votes had been tabulated.

Sean Denison averaged 10.8 ppg and 6 rpg ..... this was a case where some of the votes were made before the last 2 games of the year. Santa Clara had a vice lock on the WCC regular season title .... until they lost narrow games to Loyola Marymount and Pepperdine to end the season one game behind Gonzaga. '06/'07 saw Dick Davey (from 2nd place SCU) as COY; Zag favorite Danny Pariseau (from 2nd place SCU) as Newcomer of the Year and Sean Denison (from 2nd place SCU) as Co-POY.

There are always "beefs" from some "other" WCC message boards when Zags win these awards ..... but there was nary a peep from the "others" in '06/'07.

A highlight of that year was the WCC tourney title game at Chiles ..... when GU beat SCU for the tourney title.

The late "El Voce" and I shared a bigtime "man-hug" after that game ..... he was thrilled .....

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-16-2014, 06:09 PM
My guess is they'll give it to Haws. KenPom.com has a new feature this year for best players in conference.
Here's his list as of today:

http://i.imgur.com/JlU6CwJ.gif

Are those rankings based purely on statistical production?

NumberCruncher
02-16-2014, 06:43 PM
Are those rankings based purely on statistical production?

Yes, he uses a formula.

He talks about it here (subscription not required):

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/the_2014_kpoy_watch_list

BTB
02-16-2014, 06:50 PM
I don't want to be that guy, but Dower is not the best player on our team let alone player of the year.

Vanzagger
02-17-2014, 05:01 AM
Yes Sam

zagfan24
02-17-2014, 05:08 AM
I don't want to be that guy, but Dower is not the best player on our team let alone player of the year.

I assume you're referring to Kevin Pangos, but I think Dower has been more productive and more consistent during WCC play (largely due to KP's injury woes, but the point still holds).

jazzdelmar
02-17-2014, 05:44 AM
Haws the leader and Sam's injury and late start hurts him. But in his favor is Haws being a junior and often voters edge to a senior and reserve award for the junior next year.......Close

BULLDOG#1
02-17-2014, 07:04 AM
Next four games will decide it, especially the BYU game.
Haws has been great, but he is pretty much a scorer only.
Sam is playing on the best team and he is a senior...

kitzbuel
02-17-2014, 07:43 AM
Haws has a disadvantage of his team chronically under-performing this year.

I think a dark horse might be Cole Dickerson.

cjm720
02-17-2014, 07:49 AM
Keep up the hard work, Sam, and you will be rewarded!

SunDevilGolfZag
02-17-2014, 08:52 AM
In my view, if Sam posts better or roughly equal numbers to Hawes this week on BYU's home court and we win the game, Sam will be in the driver's seat with us also clinching the league title.

Baseline
02-17-2014, 02:30 PM
As a bit of a side note, I think Shem should be defensive player of the year.

BTB
02-17-2014, 03:04 PM
As a bit of a side note, I think Shem should be defensive player of the year.

Agreed. Also I change my previous vote, I think Sam should be POTY.

exclusivelee
02-17-2014, 04:07 PM
Right now, I think there are 2 clear leaders: Haws & Waldow

Dower has made a good case, but I think he needs to be strong the next 4 games to inch close enough

Either way, I think Haws will at least win Co-POY

northsidezagfan
02-17-2014, 04:15 PM
Who does the voting? If it is the coaches voting on players that they nominate and assuming a coach is not able vote for his own nomination then I think Haws will win it. No way Bennett, Rexy, or Keating votes for Sam when they have a legitimate alternate. JMHO

Yes, coaches vote.

MDABE80
02-17-2014, 04:23 PM
Kevin= 16 ppg and 4.6 assists AND he did it on ONE good foot AND he did it on THEE championship team;) Says a lot!

VaBeachZAG
02-17-2014, 05:48 PM
It used to be that the league POY award almost always went to a player on the team who won the regular conference title.....even if that player didn't have a stat line of someone else in the league.

Haws is having an exceptional season, but I still think that BYU needs to keep winning games in order for him to win it. If BYU ends up in the bottom half of the standings, I do feel there needs to be a point where his team's performance should disqualify him. However, I don't see BYU falling to pieces. 4 of their next 7 are at home, and despite their struggles, they have the best talent in the league along with Gonzaga.

As much as I would like to see Dower win POY, I absolutely do not believe that the award must go to a member of the team conference winner. It should go to the best player, period. I recall in Maui a few years back Calhoon felt the best player award should go to a UCONN player because they won the tournament. This, despite the fact that Morrison was hands down the best player of the tournament and totally deserved the award. If Haws' offensive performance should fall off in the remaining games, then hopefully Dower will get some serious consideration (maybe for co-POY, if nothing else). However, the performance of the BYU team as a whole should not unduly influence the POY decision.

Rio Runner
02-17-2014, 06:28 PM
Four games to play, and it's a close race between Haws and Dower, but right now I'd vote for Sam. BYU has been disappointing, and although Haws can score, he doesn't exactly fill up the stat sheet with a well rounded game. Dower has been consistent, efficient, clutch, and, with Pangos' injury, is the only Zag who seems to step up in big games. Coming into this season, I didn't think he had a shot at the NBA. Now I'm not so sure.

We'll see how Sam and the Zags do on this road trip.

ZagaZags
02-17-2014, 07:11 PM
If Bell can shut down Haws and Dower has a big game, it could sway votes over to Sam's side.