PDA

View Full Version : Taking stock mid-season

GrizZAG
02-01-2014, 09:57 PM
[B]Sanity check mid-season[B]

We didn't know what to expect early on this year. Here we are in the stretch and still kind of wondering just how good this team really is this year to some degree.

This team has fight in it and plays till the end...every game. They create and don't give up. They hold the line in the face of onslaught and are coalescing together better as each game passes. Early on the chemistry was questionable but we see a lot of trust out there now. Memphis will an interesting litmus test of sorts IMHO. We know WCC is pretty darn loaded with talent but now we get an opportunity to step out of conference to see if the huge improvements are the real deal or not so much.
This team is tough, very tough

KD is the real deal
Sam bringing it
Bell getting Mojo back
Shem really improving
Coleman getting much better
If KP gets healed he is huge difference maker

Lots to be excited about going forward me thinks

What is your mid-term evaluation?

ZagaZags
02-01-2014, 09:59 PM
[B]Sanity check mid-season[B

We didn't know what to expect early on this year. Here we are in the stretch and still kind of wondering just how good this team really is this year to some degree.

This team has fight in it and plays till the end...every game. They create and don't give up. They hold the line in the face of onslaught and are coalescing together better as each game passes. Early on the chemistry was questionable but we see a lot of trust out there now. Memphis will an interesting litmus test of sorts IMHO. We know WCC is pretty darn loaded with talent but now we get an opportunity to step out of conference to see if the huge improvements are the real deal or not so much.
This team is tough, very tough

KD is the real deal
Sam bringing it
Bell getting Mojo back
Shem really improving
Coleman getting much better
If KP gets healed he is huge difference maker

Lots to be excited about going forward me thinks

What is your mid-term evaluation?

Need to add Kyle Dranginis.

GrizZAG
02-01-2014, 10:00 PM
KD first one noted

DixieZag
02-01-2014, 10:09 PM
For this team to be a real threat beyond the WCC tournament, Kevin's foot needs to be more stable, more dependable.

Yes, everyone else is doing a little better than expected.

But, here is some other reality:

We were one off-shoot from being beaten by the last place team in the conference.
We did lose to another of the poorer teams.
We almost lost to a middle pack team at home.
We still haven't played the tough WCC teams on the road.
We have a player who along with Gary is the leader, and the only one that was the all-American, conference POY candidate, and he's been a non-issue in the last few games, I would argue that we're far better minutes out of Kyle. That's great that Kyle is coming on, but Kyle is not the 30 something point guy in Maui, the Wooden list, you know.

Karno has improved by leaps and bounds - Dower's come back better than ever. Gary shoots as well - and as infrequently - as he did before the hand, but without a close to 100% Kevin, we're a round of 32 team with the chance to catch fire for a game, maybe two.

The last four conference games will define this team - and our season, IMHO

GrizZAG
02-01-2014, 10:18 PM
All ttrue

Potential is there and jelling. KP foot forcing growth in the other guys I believe. I love Kool Aid (:

For this team to be a real threat beyond the WCC tournament, Kevin's foot needs to be more stable, more dependable.

Yes, everyone else is doing a little better than expected.

But, here is some other reality:

We were one off-shoot from being beaten by the last place team in the conference.
We did lose to another of the poorer teams.
We almost lost to a middle pack team at home.
We still haven't played the tough WCC teams on the road.
We have a player who along with Gary is the leader, and the only one that was the all-American, conference POY candidate, and he's been a non-issue in the last few games, I would argue that we're far better minutes out of Kyle. That's great that Kyle is coming on, but Kyle is not the 30 something point guy in Maui, the Wooden list, you know.

Karno has improved by leaps and bounds - Dower's come back better than ever. Gary shoots as well - and as infrequently - as he did before the hand, but without a close to 100% Kevin, we're a round of 32 team with the chance to catch fire for a game, maybe two.

The last four conference games will define this team - and our season, IMHO

CDC84
02-01-2014, 11:42 PM

Which will not happen until the offseason. 100% guaranteed unless Few shuts him down until the WCC tournament, which he won't do. He needs to stay away from anything that can aggravate the toe for weeks and weeks and weeks. He re-aggravated the toe during practice on Friday. It just isn't going to get better until the guys clean out their lockers, take their finals and go home.

The Zags are going to need to rearrange their offense so that it isn't so reliant on Pangos and his shooting. The team shouldn't offensively struggle this much against WCC teams if he has an off shooting night.

ZagaZags
02-02-2014, 12:43 AM
KD first one noted
I obviously was not fully paying attention. Oops.

Baseline
02-02-2014, 03:14 AM
There are pluses and minuses listed above and I can't really argue with either list as there is truth in both. What I have come to appreciate about this team is its tenacity. They don;t panic they don't get down, they just dig in and fight for what they can achieve. In some ways I like this better than last years team and thats hard to do.