PDA

View Full Version : Love for Shem

tyra
02-01-2014, 09:46 PM
I think Shem has improved an enormous amount this season -- in fact, more than anyone on the team. I don't think his line reflects his value especially on defense where he flat out alters everything in the paint. And his growth at NOT fouling has been spectacular. I am not sure we truly recognize his value to the team's success. Just saying.

Zagdawg
02-01-2014, 09:47 PM
Agree---his defense is game changing when he is on the floor.

ZagaZags
02-01-2014, 09:50 PM

He has quick hands. Some of his shot blocks are amazing.

VinnyZag
02-01-2014, 10:30 PM
He should be defensive player of the year in the leauge.

Baseline
02-02-2014, 03:39 AM
I think Shem's play could surprise a lot of people come March and GU could sneak up on people. What Shem does, does not always show up on the stats. With a bit of other things coming together like KD's emergence and Coleman's changes, we could surprise.

cjm720
02-02-2014, 06:38 AM
No doubt. He's foot work too! Quite nimble for such a big guy.

CdAZagFan
02-02-2014, 09:01 AM

I really wasn't impressed with him early on, but he is starting to grow on me. His post moves are getting better and better, and I agree that when he is in there he pretty much shuts down the interior of the lane which really helps the guards be able to defend the 3-point line.

BULLDOG#1
02-02-2014, 09:26 AM
He's making great strides, but still needs to find consistency. If he played every game like he did against the dons and gaels, it would really change how opponents plan for the zags.

But I agree with most folks on this thread... Shem is becoming a beast.

JPtheBeasta
02-02-2014, 09:48 AM
I was impressed by the way his wound dressing kept growing throughout the night. It would be fun if somebody with some know-how could get some screen captures of the evolution of the bandages. All I have is this one from the end of the game:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ac/Darkman12.jpg

BTB
02-02-2014, 10:05 AM
First 10 games: 72 ppg allowed
Last 13 games: 59.8 ppg allowed

Our defense has been unbelievable in the second half of the season, and it is due almost entirely to Shem. Or maybe I should say it all starts with Shem, saying it's all due to him takes away from the others. The way he controls the paint allows our perimeter defenders to extend out and pressure shooters without fear of getting beat off of the dribble.

The first 10 games we gave up 72 points per game and since then we have only allowed TWO teams to score over 70 (73 and 72 to Portland and LMU, respectively). This defensive turnaround is truly unbelievable!

ZagLawGrad
02-02-2014, 10:16 AM
Loving Shem's game. Keep it up, big fella!

Dogtownkid
02-02-2014, 05:04 PM
I've really been impressed by how much he's improved this year.

DixieZag
02-02-2014, 05:42 PM
Very noticeable how much FTs improved.

It came from hard work.

I think a lot more hard work is paying off in things harder to notice.

Defense is a lot easier when the paint is closed.

zag67
02-03-2014, 05:34 AM
His foot work and defense has been super. He is doing a better job each game at blocking shots and controlling the center. This is allowing the rest of the players to play more aggressive in your face defense.

Zag Man
02-03-2014, 11:23 AM
I really like PK’s enthusiasm and attitude now. He was running to get back into the game with the Dons, and he doesn’t sulk when things don’t work out for him on the court like he did at the beginning of the season. His footwork and passing have improved greatly, and he is just a beast on the boards. He fights for every rebound that’s near to him. His development has made the whole team’s defense much better. Congratulations, PK!

maynard g krebs
02-03-2014, 11:52 AM
By next year he'll be one of the best 3 or 4 centers in the country.

exclusivelee
02-03-2014, 12:01 PM
By next year he'll be one of the best 3 or 4 centers in the country.

Yeah, we could lose a lot after next season

Running out of eligibility after 2014-15 season:

1. Pangos
2. Bell
3. Coleman

Possible to leave early for 2015 draft:

4. Wiltjer
5. Karnowski