PDA

View Full Version : Very Proud Of Gerard Coleman

demian
01-31-2014, 11:36 PM
To me if there was ever a player that deserves commendation for changing his style of play to help the team and quite frankly to help himself it is Coleman. I cant think of another player that I am more proud of when I see his transformation as a player. He was a guy a month ago who was lousy on defense, a gunner on offense, not really in the team system whatsoever and was at any moment about to be TOTALLY relagated to a "mop up duty" guy and maybe a 5 minute a game guy at best but truthfully looked closer to mop up duty guy only. I didn't agree with it at the time but it was the case. I am a high school football coach and I developed a philosophy with my players last year = "B*tch Or Battle". In life and in sports things don't go your way and adversity is guaranteed to come, you have two choices on how to deal with the adversity, B*TCH OR BATTLE, losers B*tch and moan, winners Battle. Coleman had two choices = b*tch and moan and be buried on the bench or battle his way through it and find ways to help the team and help himself. He has become a good passer, sets up at least one guy a game with an easy layin from his penetration, is getting steals and being very active on defense and is attacking the rim at the appropriate times and finishes at a respectable percentage and is reasonable it seems at the FT line. finding himself a real nice role on this team and that role could expand more and more each week possibly. Good Job Gerard Coleman

GrizZAG
02-01-2014, 04:24 AM
"Spiderman"

Coleman has a unique build with his long arms and surreal athletic abilities. Basketball is as cerebral as the sport of wrestling to me if not more so requiring not only raw talent and gifts such as those Gerard is in possession of, but knowing the difference between "I can kick your A" and "I am going to find your weakness and capitalize on our strengths as a team".
Jordan finally got it under Phil and look what happened there. Gerard has a very high ceiling if he continues to mature as a team guy and explodes at the right moments. He moves quick like a spider and can be lethal. GO GERARD! Watching these young men develop is half the fun of Gonzaga Basketball. We've seen many.

wnczagfan
02-01-2014, 04:25 AM
To me if there was ever a player that deserves commendation for changing his style of play to help the team and quite frankly to help himself it is Coleman. I cant think of another player that I am more proud of when I see his transformation as a player. He was a guy a month ago who was lousy on defense, a gunner on offense, not really in the team system whatsoever and was at any moment about to be TOTALLY relagated to a "mop up duty" guy and maybe a 5 minute a game guy at best but truthfully looked closer to mop up duty guy only. I didn't agree with it at the time but it was the case. I am a high school football coach and I developed a philosophy with my players last year = "B*tch Or Battle". In life and in sports things don't go your way and adversity is guaranteed to come, you have two choices on how to deal with the adversity, B*TCH OR BATTLE, losers B*tch and moan, winners Battle. Coleman had two choices = b*tch and moan and be buried on the bench or battle his way through it and find ways to help the team and help himself. He has become a good passer, sets up at least one guy a game with an easy layin from his penetration, is getting steals and being very active on defense and is attacking the rim at the appropriate times and finishes at a respectable percentage and is reasonable it seems at the FT line. finding himself a real nice role on this team and that role could expand more and more each week possibly. Good Job Gerard Coleman

+1 Agree Completely

When he used to come in, we would say "He's going to go straight to the basket!" and he would. Then we would say "Now Few is going to take him out!" and he would. What a transformation! He has become a great TEAM player in such a short time. Great attitude! Great heart! Great Zag!

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-01-2014, 04:34 AM
He is playing better team basketball on both sides of the court. I suspect that he is finally starting to get comfortable with the idea that he is playing on a team with a lot of talented and complimentary players. I suspect that he had to take on more individual responsibility to make big plays at Providence than he does at Gonzaga.

zag67
02-01-2014, 04:41 AM
I also agree 100 percent. A month ago he would get the ball and try to drive through 3 guys to get to the basket. Now he might start, but also looks for the open man. His defense is starting to really look good. He is in the persons face and with his long arms blocks the passing lanes. GC keep up the good work.

Baseline
02-01-2014, 06:02 AM
Colman is transforming very fast. The coaches need to be congratulated, but most of it is on Colman's shoulders, to have the wisdom to learn and change, not an easy thing to do. His change looks to be one of the biggest I have seen during a season. I hope he is rewarded with a break out game.

kitzbuel
02-01-2014, 06:48 AM
Nice comments.

I really enjoy how Coleman is using his unique athleticism to facilitate the offense now. He is now very aware of the kick out passes to the perimeter or behind him. His skill lets him penetrate a little more and draw the defense in closer before he makes his decision. His play is now making other players get more open.

BTB
02-01-2014, 07:30 AM
I completely agree. I'm very impressed with the way Gerard has been playing lately. Now if we can get Nunez to take the same step we will be one step closer to looking like a Louisville-type team that isn't completely lost on offense.

DixieZag
02-01-2014, 07:51 AM
Even more impressive is that it is likely that up until this year, he really hasn't had a coach who is teaching him how to integrate into a team system. It's almost sure in H.S. the Varsity's play was "give it to Gerard" and then at Providence, he was such a huge part of their offense so early that I wonder how often he really heard about any system they were trying to run or multiple options with the ball.

This is a good thread and congrats to GC - - one of many reasons we got through the injuries and hopefully a big part coming up.

Zagdawg
02-01-2014, 07:56 AM
Agree --very proud of the progress and growth of Coleman.

Hoopaholic
02-01-2014, 08:03 AM
Young man has embraced the team concept and when you combine that with his length, quickness on both sides of the court he is becoming an important spoke in the wheel

JPtheBeasta
02-01-2014, 08:04 AM
When he used to come in, we would say "He's going to go straight to the basket!" and he would. Then we would say "Now Few is going to take him out!" and he would. What a transformation! He has become a great TEAM player in such a short time. Great attitude! Great heart! Great Zag!

So true :]

He is one of my favorite players right now, and a unique weapon on offense and defense.

His long arms got me thinking back to the days when Few would invert the offense and post up a guard on occasion. Bouldin and Pargo were good for a few easy baskets in those days. I don't know if he has any of that in his game, but if he has a shorter or even equal height guy on him, it seems like he could easily turn and score on a guy down there. He doesn't really need any moves- just catch, turn, and shoot over that right shoulder.

Worthington
02-01-2014, 09:02 AM
I'm proud of him too and I think he's improving, but I can't help but wonder what he's thinking through all of this. I mean, he went from being a double digit scorer in the Big East to playing inconsistent minutes in the WCC. I'm not trying to say that he deserves more playing time or should be a starter, but if I were him I would not be satisfied with my role at all right now.

DixieZag
02-01-2014, 09:23 AM
I'm proud of him too and I think he's improving, but I can't help but wonder what he's thinking through all of this. I mean, he went from being a double digit scorer in the Big East to playing inconsistent minutes in the WCC. I'm not trying to say that he deserves more playing time or should be a starter, but if I were him I would not be satisfied with my role at all right now.

Maybe, "maaan, it's nice to be winning and have good teammates."

Zagdawg
02-01-2014, 09:39 AM
Difference between a "me first" player and a "team player" -- being able to look at the big picture and realize what you bring to the table and how to best utilize it for the best interest of the team.

Coleman has come a long way and his growth will pay off in the long run for him.

Go Zags

bigblahla
02-01-2014, 09:57 AM
Could the improvement in Coleman's play possibly come from Coach holding to his principles and teaching Gerard what he has to do to stay on the floor? Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Go!! Zags!!!

CDC84
02-01-2014, 01:34 PM
The simple truth is that Coleman played on two lousy Providence teams where he was expected to do a lot of the things that we saw him do earlier in the season. When you play on a lousy team, and you're one of the only good players on it, you're put into a position where you have to force things. It's not about selfishness...it's about giving your team a chance to win. The supporting cast wasn't there to beat Big East teams most nights.

When he arrived at Gonzaga, the staff had to undue a lot of what he was taught. That there wasn't a need for him to force the action anymore because he had several talented players around him who were used to winning 27 games a year. I think the people who thought that he was playing with selfishness earlier in the year were totally wrong. He was simply doing what he had always been trained to do. He has never, ever played in a system that is this sophisticated with this much structure before.

I also feel that the GU coaching staff had to adjust to Gerard just as much as he had to adjust to them. How many players has Gonzaga had who are like Gerard during Few's time as head coach? Very few if any. The staff had to learn how to properly use him and his strengths in a way that would make the team better.

The staff wouldn't have taken this kid on if they didn't believe he possessed the basketball IQ and team first attitude to make changes to his game. I knew that Gerard was going to turn out alright when he said that he transferred to GU because he wanted to play in a program that had a "culture of winning." He now has that, and he couldn't be happier, even if it means coming off the pine.

What has really been noticeable in recent games is how hard he has been playing. I'm sure part of it comes a desire to get more PT, but also a realization that this team is not going to win WCC games on the road unless they play their tails off.

NumberCruncher
02-01-2014, 02:07 PM
Great thread.

I've been tracking the way individual players are affecting team efficiency. In other words, team efficiency while they're on the court versus while they are sitting. Gerard is clearly having the best effect on defensive efficiency but the worst effect on offensive efficiency. His net efficiency is trending upward.

Zagdawg
02-01-2014, 02:10 PM
Coleman was the 4th option at Providence when he was there--he attacked the basket--similiar to what we saw here and he averaged 13 pts in 34 mins-- he was shooting 42%.

Here at Gonzaga he is averaging 13 mins ytd with 7.5 pts --shooting 52% --he is being much more efficient with the coaching staff helping him to maximize his strengths.

I like that he is starting to look to get the assist more when he is attacking the basket.

He keeps moving in the right direction and he will improve the team that much more--his energy that he has been bringing has been great.

Go Zags

Zag365
02-01-2014, 02:47 PM
Has the Bulletin or S-R interviewed GC lately to see how he feels about his progress? For awhile it seemed like he was frustrated/unhappy. I agree that he seems to have turned a corner and is more successful in adapting his game to GU style. Given his unique individual skills, length, fluidity around the basket, and ability to go inside, the timing of his improvement could not be better. We need what he can bring during this last stretch of road games as long as he's meshing with the game plan and the other four players on the floor. I hope he's hearing some of the positive comments like the ones in this string.

Oregonzagnut
02-01-2014, 07:39 PM
Gerard needed to just be patient. He "gunned" too hastily seemingly as soon as he got the ball. I would have told him to pass first in every game, no matter what was happening. MakeFew happy and learn to pass because in 1-2 passes, it could come back to you and you will be open.

exclusivelee
02-01-2014, 09:21 PM
Coleman didn't even see the 2nd half tonight

cggonzaga
02-01-2014, 09:37 PM
I think the staff is under utilizing him myself. He's a scorer plain and simple. That's why we brought him in. If you don't believe that to be true you're fooling yourself. He's doing no good sitting on the bench. He's not getting better sitting there. The staff is trying to make him something he's not... and yet he's still not playing much. This offense could be way better imo if Coleman was getting more minutes and allowed to be himself. We are going to need more offense down the stretch if Pangos doesn't start feeling better.

Zag 77
02-01-2014, 09:51 PM
I am glad to see the change and his grasp of the team concept. If he could develop an outside shot he could be deadly. Unfortunately his range is 3 inches from the rim and that does not cut it unless you are playing rat ball. Don't get me wrong, but some of the Messiah-like predictions here have been unrealistic to say the least. To be successful at this level you have to play defense, rebound, and play team ball. He was not asked to do those things and it has taken some time for him to re-learn the game.

demian
02-02-2014, 12:43 AM
Coleman didn't even see the 2nd half tonight

why coleman didn't get to play one single second in the second half is mind boggling to me. Oh well I still like coleman. keep up the good work #0, I am sure there is a bigger picture that I am unaware of.

Birddog
02-02-2014, 03:37 AM
why coleman didn't get to play one single second in the second half is mind boggling to me. Oh well I still like coleman. keep up the good work #0, I am sure there is a bigger picture that I am unaware of.
I think Dranginis' improved play and last night his 12 rebounds is what kept Coleman on the bench. Still, there were a couple of times I thought we could use his disruptive spider defense when USF made a couple of mini runs. Few played 10 last night.

Reborn
02-02-2014, 06:44 AM
I guess he didn't fit into the game plan. Even when he was on the floor, he didn't try to score. In fact he did nothing but get the ball and pass it to the man next to him and not make a single turnover. If that was the plan for him, he did a good job. I believe the game plan was to get the ball into our two post players where they clearly had an advantage. And that game plan worked too.

FieldHouseFishHouse
02-02-2014, 07:23 AM
As far as minutes go, Coleman is averaging about 35% of what he used to get at Providence. He seems to have an equal number of 20 min and 5 min games. So gets long stretches of playing time, just not every game.

His points, rebounds, assists and steals PER MINUTE have gone up every year he has played. His field goal percentage now is way higher than it was at Providence.

Micah Downs and Marquise Carter came in as transfers and struggled for a little bit before emerging as solid, talented players. Coleman already completed that transformation halfway through the year, and has a chance to be a key offensive and defensive piece for the next year and a half.

AzZag
02-02-2014, 08:53 AM
I guess he didn't fit into the game plan. Even when he was on the floor, he didn't try to score. In fact he did nothing but get the ball and pass it to the man next to him and not make a single turnover. If that was the plan for him, he did a good job. I believe the game plan was to get the ball into our two post players where they clearly had an advantage. And that game plan worked too.

It's because he is afraid to make a mistake and get pulled. He's a scorer that gets to the rim and that's been taken away from him. He doesn't fit our style of play. Personally I hope he transfers to a school that can utilize him more and gives him more playing time. He deserves more playing time. He will suffer this same fate next year, like a broken record. 20 minutes one game, 6 minutes the next with no sniff of time in the second half. We will all clap and cheer on senior night and he will just be another victim down memory lane like other transfers.

CdAZagFan
02-02-2014, 08:58 AM
I thought Coleman looked "neutered" last night... I agree that he needs to fit into the system, but to see him hesitant to drive to the basket and just settle with passing it around the outside is a bit of a disappointment. His talent is unique on this team, and I think he needs to be encouraged to display that talent. I love his defense also - long arms and he really challenges whoever he is guarding.

23dpg
02-02-2014, 09:24 AM
It's because he is afraid to make a mistake and get pulled. He's a scorer that gets to the rim and that's been taken away from him. He doesn't fit our style of play. Personally I hope he transfers to a school that can utilize him more and gives him more playing time. He deserves more playing time. He will suffer this same fate next year, like a broken record. 20 minutes one game, 6 minutes the next with no sniff of time in the second half. We will all clap and cheer on senior night and he will just be another victim down memory lane like other transfers.

I don't think he can transfer again and hope to play. Another victim? Victim of what? Not being one of the best options for this year's team? Coleman is a good player, not great. I look forward to what he will bring both this year and next.

Other transfer victims:
Downs
Dickau
Knight
Batista (JC)

demian
02-02-2014, 09:27 AM
I thought Coleman looked "neutered" last night... I agree that he needs to fit into the system, but to see him hesitant to drive to the basket and just settle with passing it around the outside is a bit of a disappointment. His talent is unique on this team, and I think he needs to be encouraged to display that talent. I love his defense also - long arms and he really challenges whoever he is guarding.

I agree 100%

demian
02-02-2014, 09:27 AM

I think this is a fair post by you

Reborn
02-02-2014, 11:30 AM
I think the issue is Stockton vs Coleman for playing time. And up to this point I'm satisfied. I thought David played well despite 4 turnovers. His 5 steals were huge. Coleman contributed alot on Wednesday and will continue to do so. I'm trying to look for the positive at this time of the year. Let's keep the ship steady and play them both. I continue to believe that both of these guys are Zags, and even though it's hard to sit on the bench, both of these guys will do it and not complain. After all, in the end it's a team game and that always begs the question, "What do I need to do for the TEAM?" And then do it with love. I really like what Damian said yesterday here, something about bit*ch or battle. I believe we'll see much more from Coleman. There are lots of games ahead of us and each one get's more important as we continue to move forward.

demian
02-02-2014, 12:34 PM
I think the issue is Stockton vs Coleman for playing time. And up to this point I'm satisfied. I thought David played well despite 4 turnovers. His 5 steals were huge. Coleman contributed alot on Wednesday and will continue to do so. I'm trying to look for the positive at this time of the year. Let's keep the ship steady and play them both. I continue to believe that both of these guys are Zags, and even though it's hard to sit on the bench, both of these guys will do it and not complain. After all, in the end it's a team game and that always begs the question, "What do I need to do for the TEAM?" And then do it with love. I really like what Damian said yesterday here, something about bit*ch or battle. I believe we'll see much more from Coleman. There are lots of games ahead of us and each one get's more important as we continue to move forward.

yeah each game is different. `gotta stay ready. Stockton and Coleman are both key to the overall success of team.

mainer6
02-02-2014, 12:46 PM
I coach a women's college soccer team. I had one very unique player this year. She did what she did and she did it very well. In a playoff game, we needed her unique talent. She came in and won us the game. Had she changed to be less of a weapon and more of a steady player, she might have had more playing time but we would have had nowhere to turn when things got stagnant.
If Coleman becomes someone else, we lose who he is. I would rather see him sit on the bench through games where things are working if it means he remains himself and saves the team once.

maynard g krebs
02-02-2014, 07:05 PM

He could transfer only if he gets a degree by this summer, and have one year left. Otherwise he could only transfer to D2.
As to being a "victim", he's a one dimensional player, a guard without a jump shot. He was great early, but has been scouted and a slasher can be stopped by plugging the lane when he drives. The best thing he can do then is kick it out to an open shooter. He was forcing things early and turning it over a lot; now he's cautious about making mistakes and not as aggressive. He's a role player on a team like GU, and nothing more, unless he learns to shoot, which could happen but seems unlikely to happen in the next year.

DixieZag
02-02-2014, 07:39 PM
He could transfer only if he gets a degree by this summer, and have one year left. Otherwise he could only transfer to D2.
As to being a "victim", he's a one dimensional player, a guard without a jump shot. He was great early, but has been scouted and a slasher can be stopped by plugging the lane when he drives. The best thing he can do then is kick it out to an open shooter. He was forcing things early and turning it over a lot; now he's cautious about making mistakes and not as aggressive. He's a role player on a team like GU, and nothing more, unless he learns to shoot, which could happen but seems unlikely to happen in the next year.

Voice of reason.

I am sure you're right about shifting defenses, there is also him probably missing on the side of conservativeness as he understand how Few operates (not the issue here). Thus, he really is a role player and now a conservative one, as he gets more P.T., as defenses start to not focus on him so much, he starts to get a little more confident, he could be a real weapon when picking his spots. It isn't guaranteed at all, but it is certainly possible, we've seen he can learn.

ZagaZags
02-02-2014, 09:32 PM
So far, I have not seen Coleman hang his head on the bench. Keep in mind this is from viewing games on TV.

AzZag
02-02-2014, 09:39 PM

I had no idea you had access to the scouting reports of other teams.
Also You are basing your theory on 6 min of game time. When he gets significant playing time he has been quite effective.

ZagaZags
02-02-2014, 09:48 PM
Maynard is 100% correct about the transfer options. We all knew what Coleman's game was about coming from Providence. Even the Friars fans told us he is a slasher scorer that can't shoot jumpers. I was hoping he could develop an outside shot during his redshirt year. I love Coleman but he still needs to develop his game. I hope he sticks it out with GU.

Oregonzagnut
02-02-2014, 11:08 PM
Coleman should be getting more early minutes especially. Build a bigger lead sooner! GC is shooting over 51% from the field.

maynard g krebs
02-02-2014, 11:51 PM
I had no idea you had access to the scouting reports of other teams.
Also You are basing your theory on 6 min of game time. When he gets significant playing time he has been quite effective.

1)To quote an old saying, it doesn't take a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
2)He's effective situationally with his existing skill set, and that's the reason for his pt varying so much. Valuable role player, but situational. Good thing he seems to accept that and prefer it to being a major player on a crappy team. I like him and he's a valuable piece of the puzzle, but the team has several guards/wings with more complete games.

Birddog
02-03-2014, 03:02 AM

Let me be another to requote you Maynard, you're spot on in your assessment IMO. In the game vs USF, the lanes were quickly closed and GC wisely backed off the attack. It was not IMO for fear of being yanked, it was because there was little chance of him scoring, and he's learning that.
One does not have to be a coach or be privy to their conversations like Azzag suggests to see that. I did think that GC deserved some spot minutes in the 2nd half for his defense, but then I'm not the coach.

bigblahla
02-03-2014, 05:38 AM
Let me be another to requote you Maynard, you're spot on in your assessment IMO. In the game vs USF, the lanes were quickly closed and GC wisely backed off the attack. It was not IMO for fear of being yanked, it was because there was little chance of him scoring, and he's learning that.
One does not have to be a coach or be privy to their conversations like Azzag suggests to see that. I did think that GC deserved some spot minutes in the 2nd half for his defense, but then I'm not the coach.

+1.....always amazed at what other eyes see.....Bird and Maynard are both spot on as USF closed lanes to driving for Coleman. Every coach in the WCC knows Coleman's strengths and weaknesses by now. He can be a game changer in some situations and a pine rider in others depending on the opponent and game flow. He is an asset and showing himself to be a good teammate.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Hoopaholic
02-03-2014, 06:14 AM
GC will have his time against select moments...a key role player

IF a team is playing zone.....GC offensive ability to find the gaps will be critical
IF we need to press or trap....GC length and quickness will come into play
IF we need to up the tempo...GC ability to run the court will come into play
IF the other team is double down on the BIG....GC weakside role will come into play

As others have said and I agree..... for many games he will be the last piece of the puzzle for the complete picture.....other games not so much

competes for a starter slot if he works on his jumpshot over the summer

JPtheBeasta
02-03-2014, 07:27 AM

+1. I also saw a guy who was probing the driving lanes and smartly passing it back out. He probably benefits from being pretty low down on the scout list of guys to prepare for. But if a team recognizes what he is all about, and isn't too busy preparing for the starters, they can easily collapse down and take Carter away.

He definitely is a wild card, and it is worth the minutes in each half to see how a team is going to defend him. I love him for his defense and his ability to get into the passing lanes, so I generally view him as a net positive when he is out on the floor. I also admire his effort when he is in there, and the job he did at the end against Portland (IIRC) in particular.

Birddog
02-03-2014, 09:12 AM
His pants were on fire vs Portland!

cggonzaga
02-03-2014, 11:32 AM

I respectfully disagree. Every team we have played this year has sagged off of Coleman....and yet he still scored. He doesn't have a jumper but still shoots over 50% even with teams trying to take away his strength. USF wasn't doing anything any different than any other team we've played. I do agree Gary is playing within in the system however I think that is a shame because it takes away his strengths.