PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday game

hondo
01-31-2014, 05:48 PM
Sorry if this has been covered already but does anybody know why the GU-SCU game was played on Wednesday this week?
Thank

willandi
01-31-2014, 05:50 PM
Money, probably mostly for the conference which hands out a small portion to each of the conference teams.

KStyles
01-31-2014, 05:59 PM
Money, probably mostly for the conference which hands out a small portion to each of the conference teams.

Money from who? I'm curious as well. The game was shown on Root NW/Rocky & CSN BA, none which were showing anything substantial in that time slot on Thursday (Root NW showed the GU game again in that time slot Thursday), so on the outside it doesn't appear to be TV related.

willandi
01-31-2014, 06:15 PM
Money from who? I'm curious as well. The game was shown on Root NW/Rocky & CSN BA, none which were showing anything substantial in that time slot on Thursday (Root NW showed the GU game again in that time slot Thursday), so on the outside it doesn't appear to be TV related.

Since it was changed from Thursday to Wednesday, there had to be a reason. The only two that make sense are 1) money and 2) punish the Zags. Maybe China is investing in the Zags. I don't know where it would be coming from, but money is my best guess, and I'm sticking to it...at least until somebody comes up with a better reason.

ZaGranny
01-31-2014, 06:25 PM
There's another Wednesday game coming up on the fifth, but it has always been on the schedule that way. I am guessing, but I'd bet the switch has to do with TV schedules, and so does the one on the 5th.

Welcome back, Hondo! Missed you at the WBB game yesterday.

ZaGranny

DixieZag
01-31-2014, 06:28 PM
I don't know but could it be b/c ESPNU was televising the USD/SMC game on Thursday and the conference didn't want to have SMC and GU on competing television coverage and by moving it up to Wed they were able to have both on their own night? I know that ESPN often covers GU on Thurs nights - - but maybe bc it was another two teams, the conference wanted to spread out the quality games?

TheGonzagaFactor
01-31-2014, 06:41 PM
Wasn't it the "WCC game of the week"? The Wednesday game coming up is nice because we Play at Memphis next Saturday.

I would think the WCC wants the game to not interfere with the other conference games on Thursdays.

KStyles
01-31-2014, 07:04 PM
Wasn't it the "WCC game of the week"? The Wednesday game coming up is nice because we Play at Memphis next Saturday.

I would think the WCC wants the game to not interfere with the other conference games on Thursdays.

The WCC Game of the Week this week is Pacific @ USD on Saturday.

http://www.wccsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/west-m-baskbl-sched-full.html

Oregonzagnut
01-31-2014, 07:51 PM
Whatever it was, I'd think Gonzaga had to agree to it. TV had something to do with it. Maybe Gonzaga figured an extra day in between would help us out more than anything.

I don't think it was done to simply mess with us and our schedule.

Pargo the Destroyer
01-31-2014, 08:31 PM
Whatever it was, I'd think Gonzaga had to agree to it. TV had something to do with it. Maybe Gonzaga figured an extra day in between would help us out more than anything.

I don't think it was done to simply mess with us and our schedule.

OZN, look at what these assclowns did to the schedule. 7 of 9 on the road to end the season, 4 league games during Christmas break..... Hell I wouldn't be surprised if GU had a game scheduled around 330 on Sunday.

demian
01-31-2014, 11:19 PM
OZN, look at what these assclowns did to the schedule. 7 of 9 on the road to end the season, 4 league games during Christmas break..... Hell I wouldn't be surprised if GU had a game scheduled around 330 on Sunday.

I remember WAY WAY back in the day, when the zags were still playing in the Kennell, I am thinking this was the Dickau junior year/ Casey Calvary Senior year, I remember watching a Gonzaga vs San Diego (Brad Holland was coaching I think) WCC regular season game at about 12:00noon on a Sunday afternoon but it was on REGULAR TV, not on cable. It was on one of the major channels (obviously a local affiliate hookup). I thought it was so odd that it was a early sunday afternoon game, it was weird but it was cool that it was on regular tv.