PDA

View Full Version : Rem's Twitter

ZaGranny
01-31-2014, 12:08 AM
Rem Bakamus ‏@RemFifteen 7h
Anyone have the book Aristotle, The Nicomachean Ethics. It looks interesting I want to read it on my own itís not required for my Phil class

We have some of the greatest kids!

Anyone have the book to loan him?

ZaGranny

Rangerzag
01-31-2014, 12:29 AM
How 'bout here (http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=Aristotle%2C+The+Nicomachean+Ethics)?

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=Aristotle%2C+The+Nicomachean+Ethics

Zagsker
01-31-2014, 07:17 AM
Lol

Zaggin' it
01-31-2014, 07:18 AM
Rem Bakamus ‏@RemFifteen 7h
Anyone have the book Aristotle, The Nicomachean Ethics. It looks interesting I want to read it on my own itís not required for my Phil class

We have some of the greatest kids!

Anyone have the book to loan him?

ZaGranny

Although I doubt anyone has the book, and your request may have been rhetorical it would still very likely be an NCAA violation if you did and actually loaned it o him. It never hurts to be reminded of the nature of the NCAA rule book and to limit your interactions with these student-athletes accordingly.

gozagswoohoo
01-31-2014, 07:24 AM
Just a random thought here.....and let me preface this by saying I think there would be ABSOLUTELY NOTHING wrong with someone loaning or giving Rem a book, but I have a thought/question.

The NCAA is RIDICULOUS, and I've read some pretty insane stories. I wonder what their thoughts would be on this? So here is the story: Rem posts on Twitter that he wants a particular item (in this case it's a book, but it could be anything really....say even a bowling ball....a lamp....etc. Anything valued at like $20). A few days later, a fan/alum gave Rem whatever he had recently asked for.

Again, I know there is absolutely nothing wrong with this scenario, but I could totally see the ncaa raising a stink about it. Know them and their history.

gozagswoohoo
01-31-2014, 07:24 AM
Although I doubt anyone has the book, and your request may have been rhetorical it would still very likely be an NCAA violation if you did and actually loaned it o him. It never hurts to be reminded of the nature of the NCAA rule book and to limit your interactions with these student-athletes accordingly.

Was wondering if I was the only person with that thought!!

LongIslandZagFan
01-31-2014, 07:36 AM
Another random thought... how do these rules apply to walk-ons? Are they the same, different? Honest question.

gozagswoohoo
01-31-2014, 07:44 AM
Another random thought... how do these rules apply to walk-ons? Are they the same, different? Honest question.

Hmmm...interesting question. Hadn't thought about that. Knowing the ncaa, I bet it doesn't matter. It would be a 'benefit given to a student-athlete' is how I can see them viewing it.

Baseline
01-31-2014, 08:09 AM
I suspect it would be OK if he gave a summery report on the book after reading it. A fair exchange of values between two people.

Jazzgirl_127
01-31-2014, 08:12 AM
I suspect it would be OK if he gave a summery report on the book after reading it. A fair exchange of values between two people.

What about if "three-tar" lessons were exchanged for said book?

webspinnre
01-31-2014, 08:17 AM
Although I doubt anyone has the book,

Hey now! I've got it sitting on my shelf right behind me. Honestly, I could loan him the book, though I'd need it back.

Also, there are free versions online, such as a text one here::

http://classics.mit.edu/Aristotle/nicomachaen.mb.txt

and a pdf one here:

http://www.efm.bris.ac.uk/het/aristotle/ethics.pdf

I imagine there are free versions for kindle and nook readers as well, and of course they can do pdfs too.

Baseline
01-31-2014, 08:59 AM
What about if "three-tar" lessons were exchanged for said book?

That works for me and the argument can be made he has a reputation, so the value can not be in question. A very good exchange!

229SintoZag
01-31-2014, 09:49 AM
Forget the whole NCAA discussion.

Am I the only one troubled to see that a reading and study of the Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics is apparently not required reading for philosophy undergrads at GU anymore?
This is the most alarming thing I have read on this board in quite some time. Who is his philosophy instructor? As a former Philosophy major, I am not amused. Is Plato optional now too?

northsidezagfan
01-31-2014, 10:02 AM
I'm reading it as being kinda sarcastic. I think it really is required. Don't think he would have said anything about his class otherwise.

webspinnre
01-31-2014, 10:08 AM
As far as I know, students are still required to take the 300 level Ethics course, in which it would be required reading.

Zagsker
01-31-2014, 02:39 PM
I'm reading it as being kinda sarcastic. I think it really is required. Don't think he would have said anything about his class otherwise.

I hope for his sake it is sarcastic..all I can think of regarding his tweet (hate that word) is White Goodman pretending to break a mental sweat and wanting others to know it

ZagaZags
01-31-2014, 04:01 PM

Damn, very good question.

Zaggin' it
01-31-2014, 04:16 PM
Damn, very good question.

The rules are exactly the same as far as eligibility. Otherwise, what would stop Kentucky from calling an All-American a walk-on, paving the way for boosters to finance the kid's lifestyle.

Oregonzagnut
01-31-2014, 04:41 PM
If loaning a book on ethics to a player is an NCAA violation, then I would have to admit there is no common sense or ethics left at all and that the book should be required reading for the NCAA.

BTB
01-31-2014, 06:36 PM
If loaning a book on ethics to a player is an NCAA violation, then I would have to admit there is no common sense or ethics left at all and that the book should be required reading for the NCAA.

Every year in college my text books have cost me 500-1000$... so being able to get those for free should be a priveledge for student-athletes? I think not! Of course that would be a violation.

AzZag
01-31-2014, 07:48 PM
Was wondering if I was the only person with that thought!!

Here's what I think. It is weird as hell stalking some kid on twitter.
I don't twitter so maybe I'm in the dark
I just care how they play the game of basketball. That's about it.

GrizZAG
01-31-2014, 08:45 PM

HAAAA, right on!

Hopefully if Rem was serious one of his good girlfriends (not one on this board) steps up

Oregonzagnut
01-31-2014, 09:11 PM
Every year in college my text books have cost me 500-1000$... so being able to get those for free should be a priveledge for student-athletes? I think not! Of course that would be a violation.

Me too. It is a classic, it is not an updated version. It is beyond copyrights and is part of the public sphere.

Nicomachean Ethics is Public Domain!

How can the NCAA or any school demand people pay for things that are no ones technically to profit from? He can get it free if he wants. Why not borrow a book instead of wasting ink and paper. Like I said according to the NCAA it could be a violation, but it is still not ethical and I disagree with some of what the NCAA does.

That is my point, not everything that the NCAA says is good or just. The NCAA should have the book as required reading.

It was partly a joke BTB. But mostly serious.