PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs San Francisco...predictions and other thoughts

Reborn
01-30-2014, 10:08 PM
Gonzaga 77
San Francisco 69

I know it's been really tough for the Zags to play well in San Francisco. But I think it's going to be much better this time. We had our poor shooting night on Wednesday night; so I think the Zags will be more focused for the next game. Hopefully we will make our lay-ins. The Zags had a lot of success at home against USF, but they shot poorly in K2 and could shoot a lot better at home. Outside of St. Mary's I want to win this game more then any team. I hope the Zags feel the same way.

This is a HUGE game for sure. If the Zags can pull this one out, they will be 4-1 on the road, with four of those coming in a row. As I've said a few times, the games on the schedule this year are a very good set of stepping stones, one leading right into the next. The Zags victory last night was a perfect set up for a victory tomorrow in San Francisco. I just don't see the Zags shooting that poorly two nights in a row. That victory last night is the kind of victory that can propell the Zags into having a great game Saturday against USF. I think it was a confidence booster.

The Zags must not only shoot better, they must rebound better too. I hope the Zags come out Saturday with the fire and the energy that they played with against BYU. The game is just as BIG. I'm hoping to see Few continue to play Coleman more. He has earned it. And I hope Gary has an even better game then he had against Santa Clara Wednesday night.

Go Zags!!!

primal23
01-30-2014, 10:14 PM
Hope I'm wrong
GU 63
USF 74

Baseline
01-30-2014, 10:17 PM
I fear this game more than the SMC game. With SD beating SMC tonight a bit of the pressure is off so GU might take the foot off the gas. I think with recent history at SF they will be up for the game and pull out a win, but it will be close.

GU 66
SF 63

DixieZag
01-30-2014, 10:20 PM
Reborn - you're always an optimist, but usually a realist, too.

Really, only doing this as a fan, not so much a realist:

GU 69
USF 66

We play awful at USF, we have a history of barely surviving SCU and messing ourselves at USF. I think we're behind by 3-6 most of the game. Someone on USF will be on fire, Kevin and Stocks will continue to struggle, Coleman plays big, only desperation defense in the last 6 minutes and Gary again deciding he needs to score pulls us ahead. Or not.

I think the winner of the WCC will have at least 3 losses - maybe 4.

maynard g krebs
01-30-2014, 10:21 PM
GU 19 USF 17. WCC road games are officiated so the game is like rugby played in mud, which seems to level the playing field, or at least it did at SC. Every road game will be a battle, literally.

So much for the "new" rules.

DixieZag
01-30-2014, 10:23 PM
GU 19 USF 17. WCC road games are officiated so the game is like rugby played in mud, which seems to level the playing field, or at least it did at SC. Every road game will be a battle, literally.

So much for the "new" rules.

Probably more truth in yours than mine. Plus - - somethin' about USF makes it the place where "magic" reffing happens.

Zags11
01-31-2014, 02:26 AM
Im making mine while my son up sick.

Gonzaga 71
SF 68

We have 8 point lead with 3min and hang on. Dower with 21, next Coleman with 16.

Zagger
01-31-2014, 03:53 AM
Predictions..... I wanna be at least in the ballpark - or the ballpark's county - for once:
Zags play the Dons, shoot the ball between 20 & 70% for the game and score within 30 points of USF.
Go Zags!

wnczagfan
01-31-2014, 05:25 AM
After surviving such a close game against Santa Clara, and bolstered by Few's warnings about how tough a game this is going to be, the Zags come out on fire and take an early 15 point lead. Inexplicably, the Zags then decide to hold the ball for a last second ill-advised shot for each possession thereafter.

Led by their teammates in the black and white striped jerseys, the Dons mount a ferocious comeback in the second half. On a fast break pass from Stockton to Coleman, Rex Walters rushes the court and tackles Gerard, who then pushes him off and is whistled for a foul.

Then Kyle Dranginis takes over, sinking shot after shot from halfcourt where there is no chance he can be whistled for a foul.

Zags 85

Dons 72

After the game Rex Walters cordially congratulates the Zags, and also announces that the remainder of his team will be transferring out to the Zags next year, leaving Zag fans everywhere wondering how we will come up with so many scholarships.

Reborn
01-31-2014, 05:54 AM
Reborn - you're always an optimist, but usually a realist, too.

Really, only doing this as a fan, not so much a realist:

GU 69
USF 66

We play awful at USF, we have a history of barely surviving SCU and messing ourselves at USF. I think we're behind by 3-6 most of the game. Someone on USF will be on fire, Kevin and Stocks will continue to struggle, Coleman plays big, only desperation defense in the last 6 minutes and Gary again deciding he needs to score pulls us ahead. Or not.

I think the winner of the WCC will have at least 3 losses - maybe 4.

Love your post. It makes me think, which is somewhat hard at 6:25 am. I've only had 3 sips of my coffee. lol So my thinking may be a little disoriented.. One lesson that I hope the Gonzaga players take away from the Santa Clara game is that you can never let up. Not for an instant. The league is that tough this year, and especially on the road. I think the Zags pretty much had that game locked up at the 4 or 5 minute mark when they were up by ten points. I began to relax too. And then suddenly everything changed in an instant. Sam's simple mistake, or bad call, of knicking a shooter while he's shooter a three, led to a four point play, and their flame was ignited. After that Santa Clara went crazy, and everything they put up went in. But Sam redeemed himself, and way beyond that, by throwing water on their fire. He hit what turned out to be the shot of the year so far. Gutsy, tough Zag. Sam Dower. I think that when the Zags get that 8 to 10 pt lead in the second half against San Francixco that they will remember Santa Clara and keep the pedal to the metal until that last second on the clock ticks off.

What seems different about this year's Zag team is an inner toughness that is displayed in their defense. The defense, at this juncture of the season, is the strength of the Zags. And that defense will be on display again in San Francisco Saturday night, and I for one, look forward to watching it. Lately, I have just loved watching Coleman on defense. Here on the Board we mostly talk about his gift of slashing through defenses on his way to the basket. But take a look at his defense sometime. Man, that guy is flying all over the place and playing with such intensity. I have a hard time understanding why Few does not see his talent as a player, and what he could contribute to this team if given the chance. Yes, yes and yes he is contributing in almost every game he plays in, and he certainly had an influence on the game against Santa Clara. I'm merely saying that he could be giving us a lot more at both ends of the court if he were given the chance. I have always believed that about him. I also think that Few did the right thing by showing Coleman how to become a Zag, and I think Coleman has responded to that discipline and proved that he is a Zag, at least to me he's proven it. I mean look at this guy. A 6'4 player with a wing span of probably a 6'7" player, who is lightening quick, and goes all out, 100% every second on the court. I mean what coach could ever ask for more then what Coleman is giving him?

I continue to love this team and believe in their unique talent. It's different then alot of the others who have gone before them, but it's there. There is really so much talent on this team. The challenge to Mark Few is bringing it all together in a cohesive way. This is a challenge that Mark Few has never had because he has never had this much talent on his team. And there is an equal challenge to all the players to give all they have to this team, especially while they are sitting on the bench, and when their name is called they are ready to go in and release that talent. The hardest thing in sports is to be on that bench and keep a positive attitude, and imo Coleman has demonstrated his commitment to the Zags by being the best example of a bench player that we have.

These are reasons why I believe the Zags will come out of San Francisco with a nice victory. They are just better than San Francisco and they will show it on Saturday. They know it's tough to win on the road, but they also know that the best teams can do it.

Go Zags!!!

Reborn
01-31-2014, 06:01 AM
I also think Kevin Pangos is not very happy about the way he played on offense against Santa Clara, and he will be so much better against San Francisco. I'm just feeling that he is going to show us that he CAN shoot on the road.

MTZag03
01-31-2014, 06:52 AM
Nice wnczagfan! And here here Reborn!

gonzagafan62
01-31-2014, 06:53 AM
I have a bad feeling about this.

GU 58
USF 58 --- OT

GU 67
USF 66 --- End of OT. Game winning layup as time expires by Ryan Edwards

This game scares me, and like I stated at the beginning of conference play, this team was going to be in the Top 4 of this conference. And here they are without Doolin playing well. Gonzaga is going to have a hard time with everything. I am really worried about this game. It kind of scares me to the point that I don't even want to play the dang thing. Even as a top level team last year, we still struggled.

Hope we blow this one up early and my nerves go away.

RenoZag
01-31-2014, 07:21 AM
Dons: 72
Zags: 78

Seniors Sam, Drew, & David walk out of War Memorial with their first "W" at that venue in their careers.

NOTE: I blew that one. . .as Missippi Zag points out below: Zags won at WMG on 2/16/13 by 10 points. . .

CDC84
01-31-2014, 08:42 AM
If GU wins this game and SMC loses at BYU on Saturday, GU will be 3 games up on everyone. Nothing is a guarantee, but I feel very comfortable saying that GU will likely beat Portland, LMU and Pepperdine at home.

GU could have a three game lead going into that nasty four game road trip to end the season.

If the league continues to cannibalize itself, they could have the league wrapped up going into that road trip.

In essence, 90%+ chance that Gonzaga wins the WCC regular season title if they win at USF and SMC loses at BYU.

gonzagafan62
01-31-2014, 08:47 AM
If GU wins this game and SMC loses at BYU on Saturday, GU will be 3 games up on everyone. Nothing is a guarantee, but I feel very comfortable saying that GU will likely beat Portland, LMU and Pepperdine at home.

GU could have a three game lead going into that nasty four game road trip to end the season.

If the league continues to cannibalize itself, they could have the league wrapped up going into that road trip.

In essence, 90%+ chance that Gonzaga wins the WCC regular season title if they win at USF and SMC loses at BYU.

Well I remember being down 3 games a few years ago, and winning the WCC. I would not feel too confident with a 3 game lead in February. Not yet. I think it was 2011 actually that we came back from 3 games down.

CDC84
01-31-2014, 08:54 AM
Well I remember being down 3 games a few years ago, and winning the WCC. I would not feel too confident with a 3 game lead in February. Not yet. I think it was 2011 actually that we came back from 3 games down.

St. Mary's and Santa Clara - the two teams that had substantial leads in recent years and blew them - were not used to being the top dog in the league and the pressure that comes with it. It was a major psychological hurdle that the Gaels had to overcome to finally win the league outright. Gonzaga is not in that situation. They won the regular season league title 11 years in a row. The program is used to controlling a big conference lead. It's in the culture.

Also, I don't think Few has lost 3 games in a row in WCC play in his entire career as Gonzaga's head coach. In fact, I don't think he's lost 3 out of 4 either. This team has too much experience, offensive talent and basketball IQ to choke at that kind of level.

But none of what I am saying means anything if USF beats GU and SMC beats BYU. I am just pointing out how important Saturday's game is in terms of the conference race.

Even if the Zags entered that road trip with a 3 game lead, there would be much to play for. Solidifying a NCAA at large bid and enhancing their seeding.

MississppiZag
01-31-2014, 09:08 AM
Dons: 72
Zags: 78

Seniors Sam, Drew, & David walk out of War Memorial with their first "W" at that venue in their careers.
All three won their last year.

MTZag03
01-31-2014, 09:10 AM
I think I'm with CDC84 on this one. If GU wins tomorrow it will most likely win the regular season, even if they lose at byu, smc, and usd.

I for one am desperately hoping for early game offensive production. I want GU to take the crowd out of the game early and keep them out. I'm tired of the return of the cardiac kids.

stevet75
01-31-2014, 09:13 AM
USF sees blood in the water and they will play inspired basketball. Zags will play better, offensively, than they did Wednesday, but still struggle with scoring. Zags, however are a much better team and can play below average and still beat a team like USF, playing above their average.
Zags 65 USF 60

gonzagafan62
01-31-2014, 09:29 AM
St. Mary's and Santa Clara - the two teams that had substantial leads in recent years and blew them - were not used to being the top dog in the league and the pressure that comes with it. It was a major psychological hurdle that the Gaels had to overcome to finally win the league outright. Gonzaga is not in that situation. They won the regular season league title 11 years in a row. The program is used to controlling a big conference lead. It's in the culture.

Also, I don't think Few has lost 3 games in a row in WCC play in his entire career as Gonzaga's head coach. In fact, I don't think he's lost 3 out of 4 either. This team has too much experience, offensive talent and basketball IQ to choke at that kind of level.

But none of what I am saying means anything if USF beats GU and SMC beats BYU. I am just pointing out how important Saturday's game is in terms of the conference race.

Even if the Zags entered that road trip with a 3 game lead, there would be much to play for. Solidifying a NCAA at large bid and enhancing their seeding.

I see your point, but I don't believe we have had such a brutal road schedule to end the WCC such as 6of the last 9 on the road either. Hopefully you are right and we just win Saturday, and take SMC to the woodshed. I would love that.

RenoZag
01-31-2014, 09:41 AM
All three won their last year.

Absolutely right. . .My goof.

sittingon50
01-31-2014, 09:45 AM
Neither Sam or Gary played in the 28 pt. victory vs usf @ home. I understand that's a tough place for the Zags, but they need to put another thumping on these guys!

Hoopaholic
01-31-2014, 10:05 AM
USF coming in on 3 game winning streak and they are now in second place .......their winning appears to be centered upon their defense holding teams in the mid sixty range......if we dont show up offensively we could see a real barn burner of a game and PInkins has really stepped up his inside game ;lately averaging over 16 points a game as of late.......Dower and Karno need to be on their game and play solid defense forcing the outside action

with Bell back our options on Dickerson increases as has been shooting the three ball lately but we also know he is not opposed to driving an dposting up.......

last game we forgot about avery and he wwent off on his 3 point shooting so that needs to be contained by our guards.....

all in all, assuming we come with our defensive game and rebounding and push the tempo we come out with a 74-62 win

77Zag
01-31-2014, 10:05 AM
Zags by 12 and I don't care about the tally

so let's say
Zags 24
Dons 12

I'll be there and ready for action.

Go Zags - Beat USF -- two in a row at War Memorial!!!!

former1dog
01-31-2014, 10:14 AM
We beat them by 28 in Spokane. 28 points!!!

Thats a drubbing. I say 14 for this one if we play half way decently.

Reborn
01-31-2014, 10:26 PM
After the GU game, San Francisco plays five of their last seven games on the road and they are all in conference. I do not expect them to be in the top 4 in the WCC. They actually have it worse then Gonzaga does. They are also just finishing up a five game home stand Saturday. That is also one reason they have a 3 game winning streak. Gonzaga will end it tomorrow night.

BaldguyZag
02-01-2014, 02:43 AM
Zags 67
Dons 58

Just win baby!

Zagger
02-01-2014, 04:19 AM
OK - now over my Chickenitis on predictions. Dower has another good game and Kevin lights it up too. Coleman and Nunez put in some darn good minutes - especially on D. Both Kyle and Gary score over 10 points. Stocks makes some awesome assists and steals. Whoever is high scorer on the Zags is closely followed by 2 or more Zags. USF gets in foul trouble in both halves. Zags win by at least 8-10 (Zags in 70s or 80s, Dons in 60s or 70s).
The low shooting percentage of the last game is tempering my prediction somewhat. If the Zags can turn their last outing's misses into makes -- could be quite a strong win for GU.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-01-2014, 04:23 AM
I like this quote from the Dons' board:

"This is the least talented Gonzaga team in 20 years."

I'm glad that our least talented team is 19-3 with a 28 point win over their club and double digit wins over two other teams that beat them.

I am sure that the poster intended that statement to be a compliment to the sustained success of Gonzaga basketball over the past twenty years.

kitzbuel
02-01-2014, 06:53 AM
I also think Kevin Pangos is not very happy about the way he played on offense against Santa Clara, and he will be so much better against San Francisco. I'm just feeling that he is going to show us that he CAN shoot on the road.

I would love to see KP really respond to his poor outing at SCU and have an angry, comeback performance.

Goshzagit
02-01-2014, 07:12 AM
I would love to see KP really respond to his poor outing at SCU and have an angry, comeback performance.

unfortunately, it doesn't seem up to Kevin, its up to his darned toe. :argh:

Reborn
02-01-2014, 08:04 AM
It's game day. One of my favorite days of the week, and this one is very special because we're playing in a place that has always given Gonzaga fits. I sense that there is alot of anxiety in ZagNation this morning. Yet, I don't feel it, and that's a good sign to me. I felt that angst or anxiety yesterday or the day before, but after thinking about it more I could see that this San Francisco team is not that good this year. They are good, but not that good to beat Gonzaga. I think that seeing how BYU beat them there helped me understand that this could possibly be the year that Gonzaga beats USF pretty good in that dreaded arena. And I also believe that we have the team that can do it.

I'll never forget Keating's face in his teams huddle during a timeout with 15 seconds left to play. You could see that Keating really believed that his time had come, just like Portland's, and that this was the night that he would knock off GONZAGA. I have wondered how he did that night after the final buzzer sounded. Walters has a couple of victories over GU so he is not in the same mind set as Keating, yet there is no better feeling for Walters then beating Gonzaga. For some reason, I think that he hates us. There will be no love lost in this game today, and it's going to be a war. Hope the Zags are ready for one. Toughness will win this one.

Toughness has never been a characteristic that analysts could see in our Zags. And often they were right. And if you look at this team on the surface, you would agree with these pundants this year. However, if you have the ability to look deeper, you will see that toughness that helped GU win six games without Gary Bell and four without Sam Dower.

DixieZag
02-01-2014, 09:13 AM
I like this quote from the Dons' board:

I'm glad that our least talented team is 19-3 with a 28 point win over their club and double digit wins over two other teams that beat them.

I am sure that the poster intended that statement to be a compliment to the sustained success of Gonzaga basketball over the past twenty years.

:lmao:

Now, listen, I love Geoff Goss, friend of mine early on actually, and Brown was probably the one player most responsible for us going from 8 wins in 90ish to on to a perennial WCC power, but I'm just reasonably certain that team and more than one or two or three or. . . would readily admit that they are not as talented as this team with oh, say, Pangos, Bell, Dower, Karno. . . .

VinnyZag
02-01-2014, 09:34 AM
Interestingly, KenPom shows USF to be awful defensively, allowing 109.5 points per 100 possession for the season. The awfulness touches all facets: defensive FG percentage, 3-point percentage, forcing turnovers.
In WCC games only, they've allowed 110.1 points per 100 possessions, better only than Portland, LMU and Pacific. That BYU defense that I've been bagging on is merely bad by comparison: defensive efficiency of 108.6.
So, GU should be able to score some points.

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-01-2014, 01:01 PM
I will admit that there is one aspect of this game that makes me nervous - I get the sense that the Dons have more to play for in this game than any team left on our schedule.

They are the one team left on our schedule that believes it is a program on the rise. The other Top 100 teams are all having seasons that have failed to meet their preseason expectations. BYU and SMC are both having down years and neither one of them appears to be in a position to claim a share of the league title or claim an at-large bid.

USF, on the other hand, can put themselves in solid position to secure the second seed in the WCC tournament with a win against us and move firmly into the upper echelon of the league for at least this season. With that young roster, this can be viewed as a coming out party for a team that thinks it has risen above its recent mediocrity. We have more talent than they do, but they have a lot to play for in this game. A win in this game would be the biggest win of Coach Rex's career and the program's biggest win in more than a decade. For us, this is just another game on the schedule. For that reason alone, I am more worried about this game than our upcoming trips to BYU and to SMC.