PDA

View Full Version : FYI - - SMC v. USD on ESPNU Now

DixieZag
01-30-2014, 06:05 PM
I didn't know it would be.

Though there would be others that didn't.

Just a public service announcement - maybe some others watching the game can comment here.

Edit to Add: Tough to know who to cheer for - need SMC to be quality win, need to get ahead of them in conference standings.

Zippyzaggy
01-30-2014, 06:18 PM
Edit to Add: Tough to know who to cheer for - need SMC to be quality win, need to get ahead of them in conference standings.

Not for me. I want St. Mary's to get blasted. Opens up the lead atop the standings a bit more. As long as we win the WCC Conference I figure we get in the dance even without winning the WCC Tourney as long as we don't have any (more) bad losses. No way the committee leaves us out if we win the Conference and make the title game of the WCC Tourney. Our RPI is strong and will not drop as fast as past years because the bottom feeders are better, of course.

Chew it SMC!

MTZag03
01-30-2014, 06:25 PM
Go Johnny Dee I guess. I don't really have a horse in this race other than what zippy said. I think I'll check out the game though.

DixieZag
01-30-2014, 06:50 PM
USD up 29-18 at Halftime

SMC playing like a Gael over a Dairy

Zippyzaggy
01-30-2014, 06:53 PM
29-18 at the half----- San Diego whipping it up!

Hoopaholic
01-30-2014, 06:54 PM
Go usd

Oregonzagnut
01-30-2014, 07:01 PM
GO USD!!!! Sorry Gaels fans, but Grier trumps Bennett by far.

Kiddwell
01-30-2014, 07:45 PM
Is it Kiddwell's imagination, or does St. Mary's look incredibly average? :fingergun:

:]

BULLDOG#1
01-30-2014, 07:46 PM
GO USD!!!! Sorry Gaels fans, but Grier trumps Bennett by far.

is it bad that I am so enjoying SD laying a smack-down on the Gaels?

Section 116
01-30-2014, 07:50 PM
Bulldog#1: NO!

Hoopaholic
01-30-2014, 07:55 PM
is it bad that I am so enjoying SD laying a smack-down on the Gaels?

Nope I enjoyed it too

Mantua
01-30-2014, 08:55 PM
San Diego could be dangerous as conference play continues. They're developing more chemistry than St. Mary's who looked unhappy and disjointed. I'm worried about playing the Toreros at their house on Espn.

DixieZag
01-30-2014, 10:14 PM
USD really has SMC's number at home.

Problem is - - USD almost had our number at our home

Man, there's a lot of mine fields to navigate still.

Can only win one at a time - - big time (2ND PLACE USF) next, in our own, personal house of pain over the years.

3XaZag
01-30-2014, 11:41 PM
Watched the game. 1 for 14 from 3 did SMC in. And no one besides Waldow showed up. Holt tried to rally the troops with drives everytime down the court in the second half...but it was way too little, too late.
My reaction is just really just raw emotion...but I am giddy that St. Mary's lost...almost as good as USC losing a footballl game. My better side wants to rejoice in our wins...but I admit it, I just like it when our biggest rival in the last decade takes one on the chin. And I hope Billy wins out in conference (with the exception of one home game). SMC's chances at the dance just took a big hit. Lets hope we avoid a similar fate in SF and SD.

Zippyzaggy
01-31-2014, 12:27 AM
St. Mary's loss to San Diego makes me feel somewhat better about our close 59-56 win vs the Toreros. A previously red-hot SMC got handled badly, while we won a tight one. It just brings a smile to my face.

That Billy Grier can coach some D, huh? Holding St. Mary's to 43 points? Ouch!

Zagdog71
01-31-2014, 08:42 AM
Saw it again last night. After the game, Randy Bennett breezes right by the winning coach, looks straight ahead, not a word. People have said he is a poor sport and it sure seemed that way to me.

Enjoyed watching USD play. Thanks for the present. Hope we can hold onto it Saturday. Standings could look very rough for SMC coming out of Provo on Saturday.

gonzagafan62
01-31-2014, 08:49 AM
Saw it again last night. After the game, Randy Bennett breezes right by the winning coach, looks straight ahead, not a word. People have said he is a poor sport and it sure seemed that way to me.

Enjoyed watching USD play. Thanks for the present. Hope we can hold onto it Saturday. Standings could look very rough for SMC coming out of Provo on Saturday.

He's a cheater, and a poor sport. I don't like SMC at all. He knows that he has to win the WCC tourney or his tournament hopes are over, pretty much.

sittingon50
01-31-2014, 09:39 AM
[QUOTE=Zagdog71;977087]Saw it again last night. After the game, Randy Bennett breezes right by the winning coach, looks straight ahead, not a word. People have said he is a poor sport and it sure seemed that way to me.

That's pretty much his M.O. after every game.

primal23
01-31-2014, 10:07 AM
[QUOTE=Zagdog71;977087]Saw it again last night. After the game, Randy Bennett breezes right by the winning coach, looks straight ahead, not a word. People have said he is a poor sport and it sure seemed that way to me.

That's pretty much his M.O. after every game.

Learned his lesson on being classy from Romar.

john montana
01-31-2014, 10:40 AM
During the game they put up a graphic on 4 teams that have won 25+ games for the past several years (i can't remember the specifics). Duke, GU, KU (I think) and SMC. Big praise for SMC being in that company from the commentators, undeserved in my view. Bennett schedules total cupcakes. I actually read a post on their board the other day that mentioned Alcorn as a "big win."

I was glad they lost. Not because I hate them, but because I think they are pretty good and I want GU to win the conference. Waldow is tough, Holt is awesome...very good team. I just hate how Bennett schedules

zaguarxj
01-31-2014, 12:05 PM
Lots of decent teams in the middle of the pack right now, it seems. Looks like SF is as much of a threat as St Mary's at this point. It'll be interesting to see how the season plays out. Still puzzled by BYU. They seem to have so much talent but keep getting beaten. Is Carlino really so bad he can drag the whole team down from the bench?

kyle dixon
01-31-2014, 02:37 PM
I have had a hard time figuring out the WCC this season. Each team has definitely had their highs and lows. I cannot figure SMC out. They looked like a great team against Boise State and then last night and in Hawaii they looked terrible.

Tomorrow night is a big game for SMC at BYU. I just see BYU brewing with confidence and upset about the last couple of years with SMC. Haws will go crazy tomorrow night like he did last night against Pacific.

JAGzag
01-31-2014, 09:53 PM
During the game they put up a graphic on 4 teams that have won 25+ games for the past several years (i can't remember the specifics). Duke, GU, KU (I think) and SMC. Big praise for SMC being in that company from the commentators, undeserved in my view. Bennett schedules total cupcakes. I actually read a post on their board the other day that mentioned Alcorn as a "big win."

I was glad they lost. Not because I hate them, but because I think they are pretty good and I want GU to win the conference. Waldow is tough, Holt is awesome...very good team. I just hate how Bennett schedules

Every year on their board it's the same excuse "no one will play us at home." It irritates me to read this as if that program has earned its stripes. I remember when GU played on the road for EVERY big game and even now, we get excited when a decent (still not great) team will schedule a true one and one with us. Their 25 win seasons are usually front loaded every year. Make no mistake, Bennett's done great things with the program, I just can't stand the "we've made it" attitude.