PDA

View Full Version : 2014 McDonald's AA team announced: Perkins doesn't make the cut, but Reid Travis does

CDC84
01-29-2014, 10:16 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2014/1/29/5359172/2014-mcdonalds-all-american-game-jahlil-okafor

I really believe that Josh's injury this summer soon after he shined against Emmanuel Mudiay at the Pangos AA Camp really hurt his candidacy. He wasn't nearly as good the rest of the AAU season. Despite the injury, he's still the 25th ranked player at scout.com:

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2014

I really wish GU could've landed Travis.

ZagaZags
01-29-2014, 11:26 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2014/1/29/5359172/2014-mcdonalds-all-american-game-jahlil-okafor

I really believe that Josh's injury this summer soon after he shined against Emmanuel Mudiay at the Pangos AA Camp really hurt his candidacy. He wasn't nearly as good the rest of the AAU season. Despite the injury, he's still the 25th ranked player at scout.com:

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2014

I really wish GU could've landed Travis.

I wanted Reid Travis big time, he is a rebounding machine. If you had to pick between Sabonis and Travis, who would you want?

northsidezagfan
01-30-2014, 03:35 AM
If you had to pick between Sabonis and Travis, who would you want?

Travis but I've seen a lot more of him than I have of Sabonis.

I don't think Travis has played so far this year though. Stress fracture.

jazzdelmar
01-30-2014, 04:23 AM
More political than State of the Union applause lines, seating arrangements, row positions, camera angles....

CDC84
01-30-2014, 07:38 AM
I have zero idea if I would take Sabonis or Reid because I haven't really seen Sabonis play. Obviously, Sabonis has two or three inches on Reid, and both players are a bit different. I don't feel Gonzaga would be after Sabonis like they are presently if they had landed Travis, but I don't think this is necessarily because Travis is the superior prospect. As sophisticated as Gonzaga has become at recruiting international players, if a US prospect wants to come to your school, and he's a Burger Boy who fits your system, well, you take him. For one thing, being an American player, he's easier to keep an eye on. Also, you don't have the Euro teams tempting him with pro contracts.

hooter73
01-30-2014, 07:44 AM
I know the All American list is the be all end all of whos who but I take it with a grain of salt. 30% never develop into anything, 30% end up as average players, 30% are honestly really good, and 10% actually exceed. It really doesnt mean much besides the idea that advertising players as being really good in high school/aau gets them noticed more than good players that dont get advertised.

CDC84
01-30-2014, 08:03 AM
If Larry Drew Jr. can make the team (a player ranked in the 70's), there is clearly politics involved.

Nonetheless, there has only been one team that has won the national title without a Burger Boy since the game has been in place: Maryland.

Of course Gonzaga will have one on next year's team in Kyle Wiltjer, even though he came to Gonzaga via transfer.

HenneZag
01-30-2014, 08:20 AM
I would have picked Travis just on what I know. Travis is a superior athlete and also a brute, he is a tenacious rebounder and can hit shots from anywhere. Reminds me of an Elias Harris type of player.

I would be very happy with Sabonis but it is sometimes hard to gauge a player that comes from the Euro system where they play a different style of ball, you just don't know how they will adjust.

hooter73
01-30-2014, 09:30 AM
The euro players are hard to go all in on. For every Roni, you have a Matis Keita. For every Harris, you have a, well another Matis. Euros take some adjusting, kind of like JuCo's. No matter how much potential they have, it takes a good 2+ years to get them playing American D1 college ball - Example Karno. Sabonis is good and will be good, very little question about that. Travis I think really appealed to us because of all the similarities he had to our all star 4 year starter NBA player, Harris.

Travis is going to be a beast. We would have loved to have him be a beast for us, but the style of play changes with the personnel just like weve seen this year vs last year. Travis, Spangler, Harris, whoever... they let you play a hard nosed banger type game, so instead, we play with maybe a little more finesse. Both styles work fine in my book.

Corky
01-30-2014, 03:27 PM
Maybe he will be a Taco Bell All-American. More prestigious.

Oregonzagnut
01-30-2014, 04:25 PM
Sabonis.....If hoops IQ is anywhere like what Stockton has because of his father than we most certainly want that hoops IQ in a big man like Sabonis. Imagine Stocktons smarts with the athleticism and size to match it. Kevin Love type? Possibly....

I vote Sabonis, Sabonis, Sabonis. Even for just 1-2 years if he really is that good. But now I am committing a grave logical error because I am judging the kid by the name. But still....

Our frontcourt would have scary potential fo r2 ore years....oh and the Sabonis's are Catholic. Just sayin'