PDA

View Full Version : Dower's shot

VinnyZag
01-29-2014, 10:16 PM
Speak your praises here.

It occurs to me that Dranginis not panicking was crucial. A lotta guys would've just chucked it up there, but he kept his head.

Hoopaholic
01-29-2014, 10:17 PM
Speak your praises here.

It occurs to me that Dranginis not panicking was crucial. A lotta guys would've just chucked it up there, but he kept his head.

Spot on and to recognize who came to double team him

bballbeachbum
01-29-2014, 10:20 PM
broken plays work with talent :)

kitzbuel
01-29-2014, 10:21 PM
I swallowed a yell when SCU took the lead, but still roused my wife. She got up and went downstairs and popped a bag of popcorn in her sleep. Sam hits the winner and I cheered and she looks at me and asks me why she made popcorn at 1:00 AM.

Ekrub
01-29-2014, 10:23 PM
Had a good feeling when it left his hand

Oregonzagnut
01-29-2014, 10:24 PM
Had a good feeling when it left his hand

I did too but only because we got a shot off. I thought Drano was going to chuck one from 25+ feet.

DixieZag
01-29-2014, 10:25 PM
In the moment, I wanted him to drive the open lane - might well have had time, though the way bunnies were chipping backboards all night, maybe he knew to just pull up.

He really is one of the best shooting big men I've ever seen

Hoopaholic
01-29-2014, 10:26 PM
In the moment, I wanted him to drive the open lane - might well have had time, though the way bunnies were chipping backboards all night, maybe he knew to just pull up.

He really is one of the best shooting big men I've ever seen

He was being doubled so smart basketball play is to swing it in direction of the double coming from...very heady play

webspinnre
01-29-2014, 10:33 PM
I swallowed a yell when SCU took the lead, but still roused my wife. She got up and went downstairs and popped a bag of popcorn in her sleep. Sam hits the winner and I cheered and she looks at me and asks me why she made popcorn at 1:00 AM.

hah! awesome.

RenoZag
01-29-2014, 10:35 PM

There's always room for a post-game snack

DixieZag
01-29-2014, 10:52 PM
He was being doubled so smart basketball play is to swing it in direction of the double coming from...very heady play

Not sure if I made this clear, but as Sam received the ball - it appeared to me that he had an open path up the lane.

You may well have understood exactly what I was saying, (I don't get the "swing" part but I don't get a lot of things), and - as I said, I am only saying that in the moment that was my thought. Sam must have felt comfortable with where he was - it was all net. Good result, and I often write just to hear what the BB people say.

Zags11
01-30-2014, 12:13 AM
I thought we were gonna chuck it up. Sammy baby with clutchness.

caduceus
01-30-2014, 12:19 AM
http://i.imgur.com/gqUKuf0.gif

ZagaZags
01-30-2014, 12:40 AM

OMG! I just shot beer through my nose on my computer screen. I will be sending you the cleaning bill. CR@p it is in my keyboard too. :(

CDC84
01-30-2014, 01:33 AM
Dower was so fortunate to hit that shot because if he misses it, there is almost zero chance for an offensive rebound put back. Missed 3 pointers most often lead to long rebounds. Ideally you really want a shot going towards the basket so your big guys have a chance for a tip in at the buzzer.

ZagaZags
01-30-2014, 01:40 AM
Dower was so fortunate to hit that shot because if he misses it, there is almost zero chance for an offensive rebound put back. Missed 3 pointers most often lead to long rebounds. Ideally you really want a shot going towards the basket so your big guys have a chance for a tip in at the buzzer.

In Sam I trust.

Zagger
01-30-2014, 04:23 AM
Dower keeps a cool head - and he's a good 3 pt shooter. I'm soooo glad he's in OK shape. He looked good but there are times when his movements show he's not quite 100% back from his fall. Very gutsy play. Sam could very well end up MVP this year.

Can't wait to see how the team does against USF this Sat. How this game was won is going to help the team Sat.
Go Zags!

ZagMania
01-30-2014, 05:47 AM
For those east coasters like myself who didn't see the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFdcS3fHuu4

DixieZag
01-30-2014, 06:43 AM

I had not thought of that - - I did notice in the replays that no one was in good position anyway, Karno was being blocked out, though a long rebound might have gotten to his hands, but great point.

bigblahla
01-30-2014, 06:48 AM

You call it lucky I prefer good........60% from the floor and 50% from 3pt land isn't lucky it's very very good.........................with a little luck thrown in. ;)

Beat the Dons!

Go!! Zags!!!

gozagswoohoo
01-30-2014, 06:48 AM

Excellent observation/point. I was watching the replay this morning, and a TON of guys woulda been flustered from the pressure and either forced a stupid pass, or I've seen many nearly dribble the clock out and not even get a shot up. If you watch the end of the replay when the team is celebrating, it actually looks like Pangos went up to Dranginis and told him 'great job' or 'great work' and smiled and patted him.

Someone already mentioned this as well, but I was actually watching the last 15 seconds in slow-motion (don't hate. I can't help it. Too nervous), and when Sam caught the ball, there was about 4.5 seconds left, and there was NOBODY in front of him in the lane. I mean NOBODY. Almost coulda strolled to the hoop. One guy could have had time to run over and at least somewhat challenge him, but still....when it first happened, I saw the open lane, and saw 4+ seconds left and that Sam was pulling up for a 3, and I yelled "NOOOOOOOOO!!!!".....and then I yelled "YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!". haha

Reborn
01-30-2014, 06:56 AM
It looked like a pick and pop play to me. Dower screened for Dranginis and didn't roll to the basket, which is normal for a pick and roll play; but rather then roll to the basket, Sam popped our for the outside jumper. It's a great play for Sam, and he's done that alot in his career. He has always been a good outside shooter. You are right about Dranginis. At first it looked like he wasn't sure what to do. I think he may have been looking for Sam to roll to the basket. Or maybe he was looking for Gary. I am not sure. For a few seconds it certainly did look like a broken play, but, in the end, it worked. I do believe that Sam is a good one to get the ball to in a situation like that, to win the game. He is money. He always seems so relaxed.

Kiddwell
01-30-2014, 07:55 AM
He is "Sam I Am," the "Dower of Power," the "Tower of Dower," and the "Leaning Dower of Pizza!" Sam I Am has been having a great senior year. :000tens: :000tens: :000tens:

:]

Reborn
01-30-2014, 09:02 AM
:000tens::000tens:
He is "Sam I Am," the "Dower of Power," the "Tower of Dower," and the "Leaning Dower of Pizza!" Sam I Am has been having a great senior year.

:]

:000tens::000tens:

Great post Kiddwell

Hoopaholic
01-30-2014, 09:04 AM
Excellent observation/point. I was watching the replay this morning, and a TON of guys woulda been flustered from the pressure and either forced a stupid pass, or I've seen many nearly dribble the clock out and not even get a shot up. If you watch the end of the replay when the team is celebrating, it actually looks like Pangos went up to Dranginis and told him 'great job' or 'great work' and smiled and patted him.

Someone already mentioned this as well, but I was actually watching the last 15 seconds in slow-motion (don't hate. I can't help it. Too nervous), and when Sam caught the ball, there was about 4.5 seconds left, and there was NOBODY in front of him in the lane. I mean NOBODY. Almost coulda strolled to the hoop. One guy could have had time to run over and at least somewhat challenge him, but still....when it first happened, I saw the open lane, and saw 4+ seconds left and that Sam was pulling up for a 3, and I yelled "NOOOOOOOOO!!!!".....and then I yelled "YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!". haha

but Pango's defender was closing in behind Dower and easily would have overtaken him and possibly popped the dribble away........take wha thte defense give you

SWZag
01-30-2014, 10:08 AM
Fairly nice quote from Keating:

"I can't say it was a lucky shot because Sam has hit those before," SCU coach Kerry Keating said. "But it wasn't the shot they were trying to get."

SWZag

ZagMan in Philly
01-30-2014, 11:36 AM
It was only fair that Sam's 3 pointer went down, as their last made basket was just pure luck.
I would feel very comfortable having Sam as the buzzer beater designator shooter from here on out, he was calm and collective.