PDA

View Full Version : Defense - - Only reason we were in the game:

DixieZag
01-29-2014, 10:12 PM
I thought our defense was very good - very active throughout the game.

Held them to 52.

They made some deep desperation threes - some very difficult floaters - a mystery 4 pt play.

Offensively - we have no business winning that game.

I hate that arena.

And the only one I hate worse is up next.

Ekrub
01-29-2014, 10:16 PM
And we still have BYU and SMC on the road (Memphis too) that we have to deal with.

VinnyZag
01-29-2014, 10:19 PM
I said it in the game thread, too, but Coleman was really good on defense. Active, energetic, in the right place. He made SCU's guys uncomfortable.

DixieZag
01-29-2014, 10:21 PM
I said it in the game thread, too, but Coleman was really good on defense. Active, energetic, in the right place. He made SCU's guys uncomfortable.

Excellent point.

I also made a point of watching GBJ on D - - he makes our perimeter much harder to deal with, essentially takes away an option entirely.

bballbeachbum
01-29-2014, 10:24 PM
that lineup with KP GBj GC KD and either Sam or Shem killed it in that second half burst

LongIslandZagFan
01-29-2014, 10:24 PM
To be honest... it wasn't as if they were not getting good looks. For much of the first half they just didn't fall. How often do Pangos, Bell, and Stockton miss lay-ins. Sam and Shem couldn't buy a bunny let alone a hook shot.

SCU played some good D and certainly contributed to some of the shooting woes... but in the end I just think the boys were just plain off. It happens. If they hit closer to average in the first half... it would not have even been a game.

I would not read much into it going forward, every game is different.

U Zig, I Zag
01-29-2014, 10:25 PM

GBJ and Coleman made things hard on SCU. Both are very quick and have good hands. Coleman has a bit of wild in his game, but he has an incredible sense of the ball in his hands and how to try and get it away from the opposing teams.

I'll have to watch what it again to see what SCU did, but they seemed to be able to condense down in the middle and take that away and still not bite on the ball swings and leave our guys wide open from deep (aka, BYU). Also, our ####ty-ass shooting didn't help for ####. Pangos (I love him, really do) can just stink on the road. Maybe he wakes up at USF (doubt it though).

Frankly, we hit the close-ups we missed and we have 15 more points.

exclusivelee
01-29-2014, 10:28 PM
Shem couldn't buy a bunny let alone a hook shot

Shem made a couple hook shots and made pretty much all of his shots in the paint, including a jump shot. I think he only missed one shot that looked terrible and that was an airball off a hook shot in the 2nd half

DixieZag
01-29-2014, 10:30 PM
To be honest... it wasn't as if they were not getting good looks. For much of the first half they just didn't fall. How often do Pangos, Bell, and Stockton miss lay-ins. Sam and Shem couldn't buy a bunny let alone a hook shot.

SCU played some good D and certainly contributed to some of the shooting woes... but in the end I just think the boys were just plain off. It happens. If they hit closer to average in the first half... it would not have even been a game.

Certainly right that we got good looks - - a lot of layups just bouncing everywhere. Perhaps a better way of putting it was shooting wise we had no chance without d - though we turned it over quite a bit. Credit SCU

Credit SCU throughout - they held us down too. We got one explosion that kept us ahead enough to be in a chance to win one shot.

GBJ hits three threes, that and Sam, only reason we win.

Marcus
01-29-2014, 10:37 PM
It was a great win, especially since they were so off offensively. It's a really important step for this team to be able to win a very hard fought road game in a tough environment when not shooting well. They definitely won this game with their defence. This game will pay off down the road in the tourney. I think that the way the schedule is set up this year will actually help us get ready for March. Play your hardest road games down the stretch and end the year with every game being meaningful. It could provide a great opportunity to be really tough and peak at the right time.

CdAZagFan
01-29-2014, 10:40 PM
Good thread... Yes, great D around the perimeter for most of the game.

Birddog
01-29-2014, 10:42 PM
It was excruciating to watch as the Zags missed as much as the TV announcers. Still, a win is sweet.

bballbeachbum
01-29-2014, 10:48 PM
but in the end I just think the boys were just plain off. It happens. If they hit closer to average in the first half... it would not have even been a game.

I don't know man, I get the stats argument made here on this board to explain making or missing 3s or shots or whatever, but I think it's more interesting than simply the boys were just plain off. Of course it happens! But good teams figure out and address why, or lose. Matchups, road games, teams and seniors and crowds that show up for their Super Bowl, and more...have to work those things out as they happen, affect the stats! there's more to the analysis imo

Cheers LIZF :cheers:

DixieZag
01-29-2014, 10:57 PM
I was frustrated b/c I thought more timeouts were needed in both halves to stop the bleeding and calm everyone down.

The one that was taken when we received the ball down one with 28 seconds sure didn't take, at least with the players b/c we were scrambling at 15 seconds.

I agreed with the announcer - shockingly, that they needed to go right at the hoop, give themselves more game to play and not wait for one last shot, but hey, it worked,

Will also add - we aren't giving SCU enough credit, they may not have been world beaters but they hung tough, a lot of teams would simply deflate being down 10 - course a 4 pt phantom play helps that - regardless, they not only did not give up, they went even harder.

Reborn
01-29-2014, 11:00 PM
Pangos 1-7, Dranginis and Stockton 1-5 could have something to do with it. Thank God for Gary Bell and Gerard Coleman. Coleman got six points, which in a game like this is a lot because points were so hard to come by. I'm glad Gerard got well for this game. I'm glad Few let him play more tonight.

CDC84
01-29-2014, 11:03 PM
Tonight was one of the two games all year where a team finds a lid on the basket. Nothing went in for Gonzaga. Too many missed bunnies.

I don't know how many points SCU scored tonight where a ball got deflected and just landed in the perfect place for a high percentage shot. At least 10 of their points came that way, in addition to a couple of 28 foot three pointers at the end of the shot clock.

The Leavey Center continues to be hell for Gonzaga.

Reborn
01-29-2014, 11:04 PM
I don't know man, I get the stats argument made here on this board to explain making or missing 3s or shots or whatever, but I think it's more interesting than simply the boys were just plain off. Of course it happens! But good teams figure out and address why, or lose. Matchups, road games, teams and seniors and crowds that show up for their Super Bowl, and more...have to work those things out as they happen, affect the stats! there's more to the analysis imo

Cheers LIZF :cheers:

Pangos, was 1-7, Dranginis 1-5 and Stockton 1-5. That could have had something to do with this game. However, thank God that Bell and Coleman played so great. Coleman got 18 minutes. Right on Mark Few. Glad Coleman was back for this game.

primal23
01-29-2014, 11:05 PM
This is the same SCU team that beat SMC @ SMC

Marcus
01-29-2014, 11:07 PM
Dixie, I agree on the phantom call on Dower for the 4 point play. When I saw the replay Sam didn't really even bump him at all. It was really fitting that the ball ended up in Sam's hands for the game winner. In the immortal words of Rasheed Wallace, "ball don't lie".

Mantua
01-29-2014, 11:36 PM
Dixie, I agree on the phantom call on Dower for the 4 point play. When I saw the replay Sam didn't really even bump him at all. It was really fitting that the ball ended up in Sam's hands for the game winner. In the immortal words of Rasheed Wallace, "ball don't lie".

Great quote!

Next time maybe just go ahead and let the announcers make all of the calls. The refs were equally goofy.

caduceus
01-29-2014, 11:55 PM
17-19 (89%). We've been doing better lately in that department.

DixieZag
01-30-2014, 06:28 AM
17-19 (89%). We've been doing better lately in that department.

It's amazing - one can nearly tell that karno will have a great night at the line after his first two shots (and he hasn't had as many stinkers at all lately).

Hats off to a guy with obviously a great work habit and commitment to the team, to come that far with FTs - amazing. Raises his stock in pros, big.

JPtheBeasta
01-30-2014, 09:38 AM
Excellent point.

I also made a point of watching GBJ on D - - he makes our perimeter much harder to deal with, essentially takes away an option entirely.

He drew a terrible foul call when trying to get around a screen on the baseline. He appeared to still be asking about when they returned for the second half. If anything, the SCU guy got his backside into him. When the whistle blew, I thought it was an offensive foul call.

JPtheBeasta
01-30-2014, 10:12 AM

+1.

cjm720
01-30-2014, 10:45 AM
that lineup with KP GBj GC KD and either Sam or Shem killed it in that second half burst

Offense clicked much better too