• Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Gonzaga vs Santa Clara...predictions and other thoughts

Gonzaga 77
    Santa Clara 62

Remember that the game is tonight at 8:00 pm on Root.
    It's nice that the Zags are playing a day early, and I think it'll be good to have an extra day to prepare for San Francisco. I have to be honest. I just don't think it'll be a tough game. With that being said, I also know that the Zags had better be prepared for the biggest game of the year because if they don't they could get beat. Any team in the conference this year could beat us if we are not 100% ready. And I trust that they will. These guys are ready to play some fantastic basketball now. I know Few will demand 100% effort and if it isn't given players will sit. There are plenty of players on the bench who are ready to get into the game.

I hope I get to see a little more of Edwards, Meikle, and Nunez. I have a feeling Coleman may still be ill. I'll be looking to see if Few plays Nunez more. I think that that would be a very good thing. He needs more playing time. I've been wondering how sick PK has been. He doesn't seem to have the energy in the last few games that I'm used to seeing. This could give more playing time to Edwards and Nunez. If I had one wish it would be that the Zags keep the fire burning and come out and play with intensity and focus the whole night.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • Baseline
    Zag for Life
    • Jan 2011

This on paper should be easy, but we all know the history of these meetings. I think it all depends on which 3 point shooting team shows up. Please convince me there isn't a road shooting issue.
    Go Zags!
    "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you can never know if they are genuine"---Abraham Lincoln.

Comment

• Reborn
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Baseline View Post
      This on paper should be easy, but we all know the history of these meetings. I think it all depends on which 3 point shooting team shows up. Please convince me there isn't a road shooting issue.
      Go Zags!
      Barham has been one player who has been able to shoot 3's on the road. I'm anxious to see what Gary can do. Maybe Sam can hit one. However, the really nice thing about GU is that we have post players who can score too. I look for Gonzaga to go inside alot. Santa Clara will probably double up post players, and let's see what happens from there. Players who can attack the basket with the dribble should be successful, players like Coleman, Nunez, Bell and Dranginis. I'm looking for Gonzaga to do that and try to get to the foul line alot. This is the formula for success on the road. And PLAY GREAT DEFENSE and get out and run. Transition offense is a must tonight.

Comment

• Baseline
        Zag for Life
        • Jan 2011

I couldn't agree more with your take on the came. Lets hope Colman is well and gets some time.
        "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you can never know if they are genuine"---Abraham Lincoln.

Comment

• Reborn
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2007

It's game day. My favorite days of the week. Like someone put it in another thread, it's a treat to see Gonzaga play. It's amazing how we have so many players returning from last season, yet it is such a different team. Last year it was mostly, throw it into the posts to either Kelly Olynyk or Elias Harris and watch them go one on one. This year it's more of a team game where we see lots of great passing and often some great outside shooting. Gonzaga small forward or #3 position was somewhat limited last year on offense. This year we have good scoring from the 3s, Gary, Dranginis, Coleman and at time Barham. I also think this year's team is better defensively. This year's team has had alot more adversity then last year's team, and it's been inspiring to see the guys work through that adversity for the most part and maintain their first place position in conference play. The team is healing now. They're back together for the most part. Now is the time to begin to gell. If what we saw in the second half of the BYU game is an indication of how this team can play, we are indeed, ready for a treat.

Comment

• gonzagafan62
            Zag for Life
            • Nov 2013

I am ready for tonights game. Hoping for any kind of W. I am ready to get back to the K2 already.

Gonzaga 80
            Santa Clara 74
            Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2011

During their visit to Spokane we were without Bell (2nd half) and Dower. This time we will not be so discombobulated. They will have no answer even though they run and run and gun and gun like this was their most important game. Beating Gonzaga would be their most important win of the year by far. So they are going to play like it. Portland wanted it more than we did that day, Santa Clara will be the same way in front of their home crowd.

Still.....our team will be solid and Pangos will not have his patented cold shooting road game.

Zags-85
              SCU- 65
              “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• Kiddwell
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

If we play D, We Honk 'em!

Zags in Saddle, a poem
                <ahem>
                Roses are red,
                The Bronco's talent, "tweeners,"
                Zags pull ahead,
                'gainst those SCU [hotdogs].

---
                America's Team - 88
                Bay Area Bombers - 62

:]

<Zags continue their relentless climb back into Everybody's Top-25.>
                Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2009

I would be really worried about this opponent if we were playing them in the CBI. Since we aren't playing in the CBI...

Zags 85
                  Broncos 62
                  “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• hooter73
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jun 2008

Has even Meilke played since Hawaii?

I hope to see some deep bench run. Get Bell going; let Pangos sit. Sam and Shem win early it with rebounding and we start to see the team gel as a team.

Comment

• Mr Vulture
                      Zag for Life
                      • May 2008

I am not showing it on Root Sports as of right now...what happened to the date of this game anyway? Everytime I have seen a game is supposed to be on Root it never is...I am in Spokane so any help would be nice.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                        • Mar 2008

we wont need outside shooting from pangos tonight is my hunch.....we will be attacking from inside out and santa clara has no answer.......I look for bell to be in full swing with full minutes tonight and want him attacking the basket on ball reversals...

defense needs to show up with solid effort

Gonzaga 78
                        SC 69
                        The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• gonzagafan62
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2013

ITS ON ROOT TRUST US

Originally posted by Mr Vulture View Post
                          I am not showing it on Root Sports as of right now...what happened to the date of this game anyway? Everytime I have seen a game is supposed to be on Root it never is...I am in Spokane so any help would be nice.
                          Its going to be on Root Sports. Promise you. I live in Missouri and since I buy the FSN channels on DirecTV for an extra $12 a month, I see all the games on Root when the Zags play on Root.

Since you are in Spokane I can't really help there, but what I can tell you is that if you don't get the game on Root like YOU are supposed to, you can always go "ice fishing"
                          Qualified for 26 Straight Big Dances

15 Straight Round of 32s

14 Sweet Sixteens (9 Straight)

6 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Comment

• TravelinZag
                            Zag for Life
                            • Dec 2012

Double-digit Zags win. Pad the stats. Perhaps the coach will spread the minutes a bit (wishful thinking).

Comment

• cjm720
                              Zag for Life
                              • Nov 2007

Zags 83
                              Broncos 70
                              Go Zags!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X