PDA

View Full Version : Meehan on Zag's health

ZaGranny
01-28-2014, 09:35 AM
http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/

Zags still not quite whole
Posted by Jim Meehan
Jan. 28, 2014 7:57 a.m. • 0 comments

Aches, pains and strains are fairly common two-thirds through a college basketball season. Gonzaga’s injury list is shrinking but it still hasn’t shaken the grip of the flu.

Freshman center Ryan Edwards (illness) missed practice Monday. Gerard Coleman, who missed the second half against San Diego and all of the BYU game, returned to practice. Kevin Pangos’ vocal cords weren’t operating at 100 percent, but said he feels OK otherwise.

GU opened the season with Drew Barham dealing with a knee injury and Edwards sidelined after a tonsillectomy. Angel Nunez became eligible under NCAA transfer rules for the Kansas State game on Dec., 21, the same day Sam Dower went down with a lower back injury. A week later, Gary Bell Jr. broke his right hand and sat out six games.

Coach Mark Few is hoping for the day when he has a full roster, but it wasn’t Monday, or last Saturday or last Thursday.

“The concern is this flu knocks guys out for 3-4 days,” Few said.

more at the link

ZaGranny

Ekrub
01-28-2014, 09:59 AM
Eek

“It’s a good problem (a deeper bench), as long as everyone realizes we have a lot of guys back and don’t complain about minutes,” Pangos said. “We can be something special and our team has always been good with that stuff.”

Reborn
01-28-2014, 10:14 AM
I'm glad to hear the Gerard Coleman is returning. I was hoping to see Edwards play more tomorrow night. Darn it.

Pargo the Destroyer
01-28-2014, 10:44 AM
I'm glad to hear the Gerard Coleman is returning. I was hoping to see Edwards play more tonight. Darn it.

There is a game tonight?

Mr Vulture
01-28-2014, 10:50 AM
My schedule shows Thursday versus Santa Clara but CBS Sports shows tomorrow versus Santa Clara. Either way, I don't see a game tonight but now I wonder if the Santa Clara game was moved up a day for ESPN networks as it isn't until 8pm per CBS.

former1dog
01-28-2014, 10:57 AM
My schedule shows Thursday versus Santa Clara but CBS Sports shows tomorrow versus Santa Clara. Either way, I don't see a game tonight but now I wonder if the Santa Clara game was moved up a day for ESPN networks as it isn't until 8pm per CBS.

GoZags.com shows Wednesday, January 29 at Santa Clara.

Zippyzaggy
01-28-2014, 04:01 PM
So, be on the lookout for the Zag game Weds or Thursday then. Piece of cake.

If it ends up being tomorrow, Wednesday, I will eternally be grateful for GU Boards, as I would have looked ONLY to Thursday for the game, thus ending my 10 plus year consecutive Zag game watching vigil. :)

maynard g krebs
01-28-2014, 05:06 PM
ESPN schedule says Wed. 8 pm on Root. Seattle times tv listing says same.

gamagin
01-28-2014, 05:14 PM
So, be on the lookout for the Zag game Weds or Thursday then. Piece of cake.

If it ends up being tomorrow, Wednesday, I will eternally be grateful for GU Boards, as I would have looked ONLY to Thursday for the game, thus ending my 10 plus year consecutive Zag game watching vigil. :)

me, too. I have 3 skeds and all say Jan. 30. fwiw it is usually thurs & sat, i assume for travel purposes. But I don't know on this anymore.

Reborn
01-28-2014, 05:29 PM
The game is Wednesday at 8 pm on Root.

Rangerzag
01-28-2014, 05:30 PM
me, too. I have 3 skeds and all say Jan. 30. fwiw it is usually thurs & sat, i assume for travel purposes. But I don't know on this anymore.

My Comcast dvr says it will record the Zags at Santa Clara tomorrow, Wednesday the 29th at 8pm.

Oregonzagnut
01-28-2014, 05:36 PM
Pangos still turf'd. Dower and Bell still at risk and who knows who wlse will catch the flu. We are not 100%. But we are also not playing 100% either so things will get better. Beat LMU on wednesday and stay healthy to win the WCC!!

BobZag
01-28-2014, 05:39 PM
Wednesday at 8, guys.

Pangos better stay flu-free, or... perish the thought.

3zagda
01-28-2014, 08:02 PM
Pangos looked like his old self in the second half against BYU. Any knowledge if he is still bothered by the turf toe?

DixieZag
01-28-2014, 08:15 PM
Eek

Shot across the bow from one team leader to anyone who may start complaining? This is the way the Zags do it. Could be, doubt it is yet a problem. So far, I have seen good body language and quotes from guys.

I don't think Gary or Kevin will allow much pouting - - "that's just not done here" - - would be the likely response.

Others would have a better idea and I would like to hear.

Baseline
01-28-2014, 08:27 PM
Edwards missed practice Monday! he kid had had some really bad health luck issues. Lets hope he can play this week, sure hate to see him loose more chances for floor time.

Zippyzaggy
01-28-2014, 08:35 PM
Wednesday at 8, guys.

Pangos better stay flu-free, or... perish the thought.

Or, maybe Bell could run the offense? Like he did in high school? I'd kinda like to see how that might work out, you know, as a trial run just because Pangos might could use some time off to heal? Bell, Coleman, Nunez, Dower & Karno. Yeah, I'd like to see that.

* Not an attempted stab at Pangos, I love the guy. Just worry about him wearing himself out. The guy sleeps in the gym sometimes. Really. The guy is simply wired on go, all the time. But you probably already know that. :)

Zippyzaggy
01-28-2014, 08:38 PM
Edwards missed practice Monday! he kid had had some really bad health luck issues. Lets hope he can play this week, sure hate to see him loose more chances for floor time.

So first he had his tonsils removed, then he was afflicted with mono, and now he has the flu. Man, if it weren't for bad luck he'd have no luck at all.

Zippyzaggy
01-28-2014, 08:42 PM
The game is Wednesday at 8 pm on Root.

Well there it is then. We all get our treat a day early. Fantastic!

Reborn
01-28-2014, 10:33 PM
Well there it is then. We all get our treat a day early. Fantastic!

Yes!!! Treat. You've chosen the perfect word to describe what a Gonzaga U basketball game is. It's like talking to my grandson or grandaughter, "Would you like a treat honey?" Being able to watch all these basketball games is a treat. Is there any team in the country besides Gonzaga that has all their games on Television? To me this would be the one big reason for a recruit to choose Gonzaga.

Zippyzaggy
01-29-2014, 03:20 PM
Yes!!! Treat. You've chosen the perfect word to describe what a Gonzaga U basketball game is. It's like talking to my grandson or grandaughter, "Would you like a treat honey?" Being able to watch all these basketball games is a treat. Is there any team in the country besides Gonzaga that has all their games on Television? To me this would be the one big reason for a recruit to choose Gonzaga.

Plus 1

Section 116
01-29-2014, 04:07 PM
I can't verify this any longer but I know Kansas, Kentucky and Duke had all games televised at one time. I suspect there may be more with the advent of the Big 10 and PAC 12 networks!