PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs BYU game predictions and other thoughts

Reborn
01-24-2014, 09:24 AM
Gonzaga 75
BYU 71

Wow!!! It's finally time to get ready for BYU. I watched the BYU vs Portland game after our game last night and it was a great game by both teams. Triple overtime. Bobby Sharp (Portland guard) was phenomenal for Portland, and of course I'm sure everyone knows that Haws got 48 for BYU. I only saw the end of the game and the 3 overtimes, and both these players were just awesome. It was so nice seeing some really good offensive basketball...especially guards who can really score. The shots these two guys made were just a thing of beauty.

Anyway, back to our game tomorrow. A big question to consider is, will BYU be tired? They just played a triple overtime game. How will their legs be tomorrow night? Brigham Young is the 2nd highest scoring team in college basketball right now. But they really don't play very good defense. Gonzaga is better defensively for sure, but certainly have not been scoring a lot of points since Dower and Bell went down with injuries a month ago. The advantage GU has is that they are playing at home. It's also a good thing that Gary Bell will be playing. He does a pretty good job on Tyler Haws.

If Gonzaga can stop Haws then GU should win. That is the key.

Go Zags!!!

primal23
01-24-2014, 09:28 AM
Hope I'm wrong
GU 75
BYU 85

former1dog
01-24-2014, 09:32 AM
BYU can't defend. GU can.

GU by 15+

DixieZag
01-24-2014, 09:34 AM
Bell holds Haws to less than 12.

I have heard that when the legs go, shooting goes

I expect BYU to ugly it up, big.

GU 80
BYU 72

Zags11
01-24-2014, 09:34 AM
Byu 74
gonzaga 67

we look mixed up is the issue. Are we better? Imo....yes. I have bad feeling but hope cuz of sd gm.

northsidezagfan
01-24-2014, 09:36 AM
BYU can't defend. GU can.

+1. Gonna be a track meet but I think we clamp down when it matters. We win 91-83.

DixieZag
01-24-2014, 09:54 AM
One thing is for sure - - we are going to see a very desperate BYU team tomorrow.

gonzagafan62
01-24-2014, 10:03 AM
If this game was in Provo, Id be a lot more worried, but In the end, I really believe we will take this one. Provo makes things a lot more difficult.

Gonzaga 88
BYU 79

Zagdawg
01-24-2014, 10:09 AM
I'm wondering how much the triple overtime will come into play for BYU.

Nate Austin played 52 mins.....he normally averages 27 mins per game --almost like he played 2 games in one night.

Haws took 34 shots and made half of them....he also played 50 mins..he averages 33 mins normally.

Carlino took 23 shots---he made 10 of them.

The rest of the team took 23 shots all together (minus Haws).

BYU may be so fired up the fatigue may not be a factor.

Go Zags

RenoZag
01-24-2014, 10:26 AM
Zags 83
BYU 77

Hoopaholic
01-24-2014, 10:30 AM
Portland abused BYU in the paint......we should be doing the same and I suspect that BYU may get into some foul trouble, even if we ride the 4 out 1 in offensive lineup

bell got some minutes under his belt so he will get sharper and sharper and he and draino will get Hawes....I will be SHOCKED if he goes for 40......

We need a solid defensive effort and decent shooting night

Zags 78
BYU 64

BULLDOG#1
01-24-2014, 10:40 AM
If the zags play like they did against SD, then they are in trouble. If they can't defend Dee over multiple screens, then how do they expect to keep up with Hawes with the entire offensive line screening for him?

I wouldn't have thought our most consistent player during a vital part of the conference season would be ... Kyle Dranginis. They're banged up, for sure, but Pangos, Bell, Dower, Shem ALL need to step it up.

I'm guessing that the cougs have plenty in the tank after Portland even if they're playing with simple desperation -- they need this one BAD.

If we see the energy they had against the Gaels, then GU wins going away. The SD effort would spell a double digit loss for GU. Where's the PK we witnessed against the Gaels?

Be nice to have a healthy Coleman - he could be a difference maker in this type of game.

Zagger
01-24-2014, 10:58 AM
If the zags play like they did against SD, then they are in trouble......

Ditto. If the Zags don't bring energy into the Kennel - they lose. I too hope Coleman is healthy. I'm not predicting any more scores - I've been way too wrong! These Zags have me perplexed.

stevet75
01-24-2014, 11:13 AM
Zags will win this one, but it will be close and we will hit the half down by 5.
Zags 79 BYU 76

gamagin
01-24-2014, 11:21 AM
Few said it best when he warned long ago we're going to have to fight for every win and fly all over and chase every loose ball if we hope to win.

Add health issues and the challenges have doubled again. Every game has been a dog fight. Otoh every game seems to reveal new talent and abilities as well.

Like KD and GC & DB starting to provide steady, reliable, hands and stepping up on an unsteady deck.

ZagsGoZags
01-24-2014, 11:44 AM
I saw BYU play Stanford, and they looked good.
I think this will be a tough one, and if our coaches can't get the players into a high state of intensity and focus, I fear we will lose. But because its BYU most of our players are going to bring it, even if the coaches don't get them into defensive fury. If our game plan is defensive fury above all, the offensive opportunities will come to us and we will win.

BULLDOG#1
01-24-2014, 11:50 AM
I saw BYU play Stanford, and they looked good.

BYU is MUCH better than their record indicates.

bballbeachbum
01-24-2014, 11:53 AM
looking forward to watching the Haws matchups with KD and GBj and hopefully a not sick GC, that will be fun viewing action. How many points in the paint can GU score in this one? how big can the rebound margin be? hopefully both stats lean heavily towards GU

ZAGGED OUT
01-24-2014, 12:22 PM
GU- 78
BYU- 72

Hope to see the Kennel Club rocking. Saw half the students not even jumping last night and it was extremely disappointing. I think SD has another double double and I see KP with 15 & 7

Baseline
01-24-2014, 12:58 PM
GU 84
BYU 83

Gave it to the ZAGS BECAUSE ITS AT HOME.

JPtheBeasta
01-24-2014, 01:24 PM
Bell is great at getting around screens, and Haws is great at using them. GU has shut down Haws before, and they are at home. GU plays defense, and BYU does in stretches. The wild card is their 3rd guard, who name is escaping me right now. I think GU should win this by 10, but "should" hardly ever amounts to much when it comes to predicting an outcome.

It should be a fun game :]

zagmantis2001
01-24-2014, 01:26 PM
GU- 78
BYU- 72

Hope to see the Kennel Club rocking. Saw half the students not even jumping last night and it was extremely disappointing. I think SD has another double double and I see KP with 15 & 7

I have been pretty harsh on the Kennel Club over the past few years. After the four games to open the season with no students, I appreciate them even more and take it all back. Watching a game with 0 students is really really boring.

They were not as rowdy as in the past last night, but they got going when it mattered.

Reborn
01-24-2014, 03:07 PM
Bell is great at getting around screens, and Haws is great at using them. GU has shut down Haws before, and they are at home. GU plays defense, and BYU does in stretches. The wild card is their 3rd guard, who name is escaping me right now. I think GU should win this by 10, but "should" hardly ever amounts to much when it comes to predicting an outcome.

It should be a fun game :]

His name is Skyler Halford. He got 13 last night, and gets in double figures in almost every game. He can really shoot from the outside.

Hoopaholic
01-24-2014, 03:10 PM
His name is Skyler Halford. He got 13 last night, and gets in double figures in almost every game. He can really shoot from the outside.

or collinsworth who shoots 46% from 3 point land

jpwils
01-24-2014, 03:15 PM

Defense will really win this game , along with rebounding both ends of the court.

So we need Dower and Karno to stay out of foul trouble.

Almost tempted to go box and one on Haws. Let Bell and Dranginis chase Haws all nite and hold him to under 15. Rest will take care of itself.

Once again this will be a tale of two halves-Zags win first half by 14 and BYU wins second half by 8.

Zags prevail 75-69 at home. Barham need sto get hot again, along with Pangos.

Kiddwell
01-24-2014, 03:20 PM
Buddy, a poem
<ahem>
There once was a player named "Haws,"
Who generally played without flaws,
Carlino, his buddy,
Ofttimes played quite cruddy,
The Zags win a "closey"--applause!
-----
Spike's Jaws - 88
Buddy of Haws -78

:]

<2nd Prediction: This win puts Zags back in everybody's Top-25!>

JPtheBeasta
01-24-2014, 03:25 PM
or collinsworth who shoots 46% from 3 point land

Thanks to both of you. I think Collinsworth is the guy I was thinking of. Perhaps he's their 4th guard, but he was playing aside Haws and Carlino and made some big buckets in the OT against Portland and looked very confident taking it to the hole.

BYUs bigs don't worry me much. Carlino could get hot, I suppose, but I recall him mostly playing out of control against us and not being much of a factor in the past.

former1dog
01-24-2014, 03:26 PM
Carlino could get hot, I suppose, but I recall him mostly playing out of control against us and not being much of a factor in the past.

Carlino is our best asset in this game. He's sure to chuck up many ill advised shots, love that about him.

Oregonzagnut
01-24-2014, 03:32 PM
BYU will be hoppin' mad after losing in trip OT to Portland. If we come out tight and flat-footed like we did against USD, we may not be as lucky as we were against USD. Portland and USD were not good games and during those games I saw very different defensive efforts.

HenneZag
01-24-2014, 03:33 PM
BYU is a very talented team and as mentioned already will be playing with a sense of urgency and desperation having had 3 losses early.

BYU is 2nd in the country in PPG 5th in RPG and 11th in assists. They can obviously score it. We need to defend like we are capable and be able to get into the teeth of BYU with our bigs. If we can do that and get our shots to fall from the outside we will be ok, if not we are in trouble. BYU is not a great defensive team, but we can't afford to trade with them if we shoot poorly. Portland hit 14 3's against them last night I believe, you have to be able to outgun BYU at their own game to win.

Reborn
01-24-2014, 07:20 PM
BYU is a good team for sure, but if you look at their history the last few years while in the WCC you can see they have a tough time winning on the road. They lost two straight @LMU and Pepperdine, and I see no reason they can't lose two in a row again. I think Gonzaga is the better team, and I think they will show it tomorrow night. Gonzaga plays quite well in K2, and hopefully the Kennel Club will be on fire tomorrow night. Yes they will be playing hard to try to salvage the weekend in the Pacific Northwest, but their legs may just begin to wear out the second half. I was really happy to see Portland beat 'em. Portland is really a great team to be playing with each weekend now. Now opposing teams will have to prepare for them as much as they prepare for us. And of course they must play them too, hahahahaa. If we can pull this one out tomorrow it will be a very good win and will tell me a lot about the Zags.

Go Zags!!!

BaldguyZag
01-25-2014, 02:06 AM
GU plays inspired, pound the Cougars inside and GBJ locks Haws down.
Zags 85
Cougars 69

Just win baby!

Reborn
01-25-2014, 08:51 AM
I love waking up on game days. There's no day like it, and no feeling like it. I love the Seahawks alot, but there is a special place in my heart for the Zags. And I like them for the same reasons that you all do. They're an awesome team that is always filled with interesting characters. Last year the most interesting story was Kelly Olynyk and how much he had improved. That story morphed into the story about the Zags winning every game in conference play and ending up #1 in the country for the first time. It was a great year, one that will always be remembered. The story this year is all about injuries and the flu. And this flu bug has lingered far longer then any other. But the other side to this story is the story about how this team keeps winning no matter what. I just love the guts of this team. These guys could have lost a heck of a lot more than one game to Portland, and no one would have blamed them. But they chose to fight through adversity and find a way to win. The bench players really stepped up and became a solid team that was difficult to beat. Over and over I read on this board how so many people loved this team that came together while Bell and Dower were out.

I don't know what the destiny of this team will be, but whatever they become I will always give credit to guys like Meikle, Edwards, Coleman, Nunez, Barham and Dranginis. For 3 weeks these guys were the story, imo. Bell and Dower have returned, and the team will return to who they were before the injuries, but they will be stronger imo because of the strength of our bench. My suggestion to the bench now that the starters have returned is to always be ready for your name to be called because it will be. Just be ready to go into the game and let your opponents fear YOU.

This is one of the biggest games of the year so far to me. This one and St. Mary's. I am so excited to see how our Zags play. Somehow I just know that they're going to find a way to win because that's what these guys do. The fun part is to watch how all that unfolds. Sam Dower is really playing great right now, and he will continue to do so in my opinion. Dranginis is also becoming a very good player that the Zags can count on every game. Barham has certainly been a steady scorer in the absence of Bell. I hope he gets more playing time then he did against San Diego. I hope Coleman is healthy. But to me, I really hope that Gary Bell has a great game tonight. He's such a great player. I have really missed seeing him on the court, and it was good to see him playing again Thursday. It's game day. Let's get 'er done boys.

Go Zags!!!

Zippyzaggy
01-25-2014, 11:33 AM
Bell holds Haws to less than 12.

I have heard that when the legs go, shooting goes
I expect BYU to ugly it up, big. GU 80 BYU 72

Not expecting BYU's legs to be falling off whatsoever. A triple OT game two days ago is nothing for young legs. Didnt Uconn play like 6 games in 6 days and win the BE tourney couple of years ago? Zags did pretty good winning several games in short order just recently as well. IMO, it will not be an issue. For 18-21 year olds, a walk in the park.

Mainly, what the game will come down to is who's shots are falling. If our guards perimeter shots are tickling twine we win. Plus Bell will need to be like white on rice guarding Haws.

If we are cccold and BYUs hitting from the parking lot blindfolded, we might could be in trouble. BYU will be playing for their lives as well in this one. Beating GU on the road might save their season.

Even so, Zags raise their PPG Ave. in this one and WIN 86-81.

Zippyzaggy
01-25-2014, 11:35 AM
I love waking up on game days. There's no day like it, and no feeling like it. I love the Seahawks alot, but there is a special place in my heart for the Zags. And I like them for the same reasons that you all do. They're an awesome team that is always filled with interesting characters. Last year the most interesting story was Kelly Olynyk and how much he had improved. That story morphed into the story about the Zags winning every game in conference play and ending up #1 in the country for the first time. It was a great year, one that will always be remembered. The story this year is all about injuries and the flu. And this flu bug has lingered far longer then any other. But the other side to this story is the story about how this team keeps winning no matter what. I just love the guts of this team. These guys could have lost a heck of a lot more than one game to Portland, and no one would have blamed them. But they chose to fight through adversity and find a way to win. The bench players really stepped up and became a solid team that was difficult to beat. Over and over I read on this board how so many people loved this team that came together while Bell and Dower were out.

I don't know what the destiny of this team will be, but whatever they become I will always give credit to guys like Meikle, Edwards, Coleman, Nunez, Barham and Dranginis. For 3 weeks these guys were the story, imo. Bell and Dower have returned, and the team will return to who they were before the injuries, but they will be stronger imo because of the strength of our bench. My suggestion to the bench now that the starters have returned is to always be ready for your name to be called because it will be. Just be ready to go into the game and let your opponents fear YOU.

This is one of the biggest games of the year so far to me. This one and St. Mary's. I am so excited to see how our Zags play. Somehow I just know that they're going to find a way to win because that's what these guys do. The fun part is to watch how all that unfolds. Sam Dower is really playing great right now, and he will continue to do so in my opinion. Dranginis is also becoming a very good player that the Zags can count on every game. Barham has certainly been a steady scorer in the absence of Bell. I hope he gets more playing time then he did against San Diego. I hope Coleman is healthy. But to me, I really hope that Gary Bell has a great game tonight. He's such a great player. I have really missed seeing him on the court, and it was good to see him playing again Thursday. It's game day. Let's get 'er done boys.

Go Zags!!!

Pep Talk of the year...Thanks! :D

Reborn
01-25-2014, 12:00 PM
Not expecting BYU's legs to be falling off whatsoever. A triple OT game two days ago is nothing for young legs. Didnt Uconn play like 6 games in 6 days and win the BE tourney couple of years ago? Zags did pretty good winning several games in short order just recently as well. IMO, it will not be an issue. For 18-21 year olds, a walk in the park.

Mainly, what the game will come down to is who's shots are falling. If our guards perimeter shots are tickling twine we win. Plus Bell will need to be like white on rice guarding Haws.

If we are cccold and BYUs hitting from the parking lot blindfolded, we might could be in trouble. BYU will be playing for their lives as well in this one. Beating GU on the road might save their season.

Even so, Zags raise their PPG Ave. in this one and WIN 86-81.

I think both teams will be ready for a great fight tonight. I believe it's goping to be a knockout tonight. And both teams will be fighting with all they have, Gonzaga, imo has a lot more tonight. :boxing: I like comparing basketball to boxing. I am old school when it comes to boxing, and really don't watch it any more. I loved the Ali vs Frazier fights, and Ali vs George Foreman. I believe both these teams want this game equally as bad. But I believe this is going to be Ali vs Foreman, when Ali knocked out Foreman. Gonzaga does NOT like losing at home at all, and they are fighting for a good seed in the NCAA tournament. BYU is fighting to get a bid in the tournament if they don't win the Conference Tournament. I believe it's a bigger game for Gonzaga because it's a home game. A good loss to GU at home will not hurt BYU. Neither team has a win vs a ranked team, and Gonzaga is the closest thing there is to a ranked team. BYU has the highest RPI of anyone they have played, accept when GU was playing St. Mary's I think St. Mary's may have had a decent RPI rank.

BeachZag
01-25-2014, 12:05 PM
Hope you're wrong as well. D wins games and we have better D. Zags by 10+.

Hope I'm wrong
GU 75
BYU 85

hooter73
01-25-2014, 01:04 PM
I dont expect BYU to be tired and I dont expect the Zags to come out so flat again. Few might not motivate in game, but you can dang sure bet he had something to say about their effort against SDU. Home rims i hope will keep Pangos and Barham happy. Will be looking for Bell to make a statement about being back, its time to see Nunez have another strong showing, Dower had better continue his uptrend and Karno needs to play strong to win this game.

Mantua
01-25-2014, 03:24 PM
I dont expect BYU to be tired and I dont expect the Zags to come out so flat again. Few might not motivate in game, but you can dang sure bet he had something to say about their effort against SDU. Home rims i hope will keep Pangos and Barham happy. Will be looking for Bell to make a statement about being back, its time to see Nunez have another strong showing, Dower had better continue his uptrend and Karno needs to play strong to win this game.

+1

Watching at home on tv, I am going to loudly boo every call against us, just to make it fair.

RenoZag
01-25-2014, 05:07 PM
+1

Watching at home on tv, I am going to loudly boo every call against us, just to make it fair.

Keeper

kclubfounder
01-25-2014, 05:23 PM
Zags win by 7 after enjoying a lead of 18 at one point.

BTB
01-25-2014, 05:24 PM
Zags are going to win comfortably. BYU is not going to able to guard us, their D is lousy. The only way they stay in it is if Carlino is hot.

Bogozags
03-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Ok, this is just my opinion BUT the keys to winning this game are:

Controlling Collingsworth. Keep him off the boards on both ends of the court. Don't let him drive to the basket. Make him shoot jump shots.

Make Haws work on offense.

Keep Austin off the glass so he can't tip the ball back for another BYU possession.

In defensive transition, make them pull the ball back out...no easy layups...

KP and PK need to provide much more scoring...KP seems to either be injured or just not looking to score. If DS can get into the lane and score KP should as well (again just my opinion).

Our bigs need to play good "D" and STAY OUT OF FOUL TROUBLE.

Oh, we need to score one more point than BYU for us to win this game...

wnczagfan
03-11-2014, 05:09 PM
I think we blow them out by 3.

Zags 72

BYU 69