• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagsGoZags
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2007

Potential Recruits Read this Board

I have often wondered if the recruited, or potential recruits, read this board. Does anybody know of a case first-hand?

In fact, does anybody know whether GU players over the years read this board?

Makes me wonder if some do, how many do, and how often ... I would think it would be tempting for these guys to be curious.
  • kitzbuel
    • Feb 2007

They do. Dan Dickau once posted thanking the team. Adam Morrison's sister was a regular for a while. Rob Sacre's mom gave us updates on Rob's adventures with NBA try outs.

We have had relatives and friends from lots of recruits come on and post; some relatives of KP still post here periodically. Several of Ryan Spangler's family posted here while he was being recruited. I remember friends and relatives of KO posting here when he was being recruited.

I have not seen a post made by an account directly linked to a recruit or student athlete. No players ever post (in the clear at least) while students. I have no immediate knowledge, but have been told that there are strict team rules against it. I have never seen athletes from any team post on the boards I peruse, but given that all ther family, friends, and other students all come here, it is very safe to say that players and recruits are as intimate with the forums as we are.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• hooter73
      Zag for Life
      • Jun 2008

One of the more famous/infamous was Austin Daye's family expressing their unhappiness with fans perspective about his incessant whining about fouls.

They are as connected as you and I. The proliferation of social media has created a venue, be it twitter, instagram, facebook or forums such as these for fans to feel like they have a voice. The problem arises when 10% of the fans heckle the players and ruin the experience for the other 90%. It makes athletes not want to interact. Fab Melo has recently just had a big to do with dealing with a pain in the butt fan and I doubt it makes him want to be real quick to sign autographs.

Just last year I think there was a de-commit back east by a guy that directly blamed the fan board of that team. He obviously shouldnt have valued that boards opinion so much but it is an example.

Any recruits, current or former players should take a wide wide berth to avoid forums and it is very strongly talked about to each one by coaching staff's of every program. That doesnt mean it doesnt happen.

Further more, as Gonzaga to me stands for a step above in character, I would hope that the fans of all teams can add to that image whether we know we know it could cost us a recruit or not.

Comment

• basketballzag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

They certainly read this board which is why some people need to think before they type. It can certainly cost a recruit and probably has cost us a recruit in the past and will probably cost us other recruits in the future due to a couple of bad posters spreading bad info.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
          • Feb 2007

Short answer... yes.

Better question... do the players check the board for GUnits after a win?
          "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
            Time Zone Challenged Board Greeter
            • Feb 2007

If I was a player, I'd be reading the site no question! Just couldn't help it.

If I was a player and I was going to create a fake profile, I would just do something silly and inconspicuous. Like, I'd probably create a fake profile and pose as a dog or cat or like a goa......O......M......G
            Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Comment

• webspinnre
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Families of recruits definitely read the board. I remember a couple years back when a recruit committed we had a thread welcoming the recruit, and I got a PM from a family member saying thanks.
              I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• Zippyzaggy
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Mar 2013

Absolutely some do. I have asked several players specificaly if they knew of this site, as well as a couple other sites. They have either heard of these sites, visit once in awhile, or pass some of the info they read here among each other. They laugh about some of the stuff and tease each other if they are being poked on in here. I asked one player specifically if he might not have commited here based on any negativity and his answer was no. If anything it would motivate him, but basically it made no difference.

I cannot name names, for privacy, but take it to the bank. Some players are still on the team, others have graduated or transfered.

Comment

• SWZag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Great reason to think before we post, "Would I want to hear that about myself?" Many things posted are things I wouldn't want to have people think/write of me when I'm trying my hardest, especially when they don't know what the situations are and most likely have never been in a relatively close situation. It's easy to hide behind our made-up username, and unfortunately, courtesy, kindness and encouraging atmosphere often are lost.

SWZag

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Comment

• CaliforniaZaggin'
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2008

Yes, but they only read the Foo.
                    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Comment

• jchocolate99
                      Kennel Club
                      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by basketballzag View Post
                      They certainly read this board which is why some people need to think before they type. It can certainly cost a recruit and probably has cost us a recruit in the past and will probably cost us other recruits in the future due to a couple of bad posters spreading bad info.
                      I get what you're saying here but if it has or will cost us a recruit than so be it we dont need said recruit. I might get flammed for my statement but for all intent and purposes Gonzaga plays big time D1 basketball. If you're an athlete coming out of high school and want to play big time D1 sports than you need to learn to deal with adversity especially fan adversity. We as fans love the athlete when they're performing at a high level and quick to turn on them when they're performance is not up to par. I see some posters try to police the board on not being overly harsh on a player for fear they will see it or their family members but to me I feel say what you need to say as long as you're not trolling the board. When you go onto any teams message board you're discussing team matters amongst some of the biggest fans of that team so it's the perfect avenue to let out emotions rather they be jubilent or harsh. If you the fan or poster do not agree with what was said, either read past that post or state your point of disagreement to begin a discussion (which is the purpose of these boards). It's not our jobs to sooth the egos or feelings of a player or family member that happens to come onto this board. The NCAA is a multi billion dollar sports industry so more is at stake at this level so with that will come more scrutiny rather deserved or not.

Comment

• Zagdawg
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Just because a person might be able to write whatever they want about a player be it true or not does not make it ok to do-- I am glad our mods keep an eye on things and keep some posters from getting too far out of line.

I'm not a big fan of losing recruits because of misinformation posted by a "fan" on our message board--because if they really were fans would they really be posting things about a player that is bad enough to make a player not feel welcome as a Zag?--- my opinion.

If someone really does not care enough about one of our players and their parents/grandparents/sisters/aunts/brothers reading some of the stuff that is written about them-- I just don't know what to tell you.

Zags are a family -- would you say the same stuff to your brother/sister/mother/father that some of the posters write here?

Go Zags

Comment

• jchocolate99
                          Kennel Club
                          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
                          Just because a person might be able to write whatever they want about a player be it true or not does not make it ok to do-- I am glad our mods keep an eye on things and keep some posters from getting too far out of line.

I'm not a big fan of losing recruits because of misinformation posted by a "fan" on our message board--because if they really were fans would they really be posting things about a player that is bad enough to make a player not feel welcome as a Zag?--- my opinion.

If someone really does not care enough about one of our players and their parents/grandparents/sisters/aunts/brothers reading some of the stuff that is written about them-- I just don't know what to tell you.

Zags are a family -- would you say the same stuff to your brother/sister/mother/father that some of the posters write here?

Go Zags
                          If a poster is trolling than yes the mods should step in I totally agree with you there. My issue is this whole losing recruits over what is said on a message board. If your decisions and feelings are dictated by what is being posted on a forum you have no business playing high level sports that will get media attention I'm sorry. It's one thing if the team was making hurtful statements from the official team site but when you're on an unofficial team forum with a bunch of arm chair quarterbacks (yes that's pretty much what we are at times as fans) you shouldn't take anything that's said to heart rather you're a player or brother/sister/mother/father... just my take and opinion

Comment

• Zagceo
                            Zag for Life
                            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Zagdawg View Post
                            I guess you've never enjoyed a meal with a large Italian family. ; )

Comment

• 75Zag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Mar 2007

Gonzaga students and alumni may or may not be a "family". Speaking for myself, I reject about 75% of the Jesuit / Catholic/ Gonzaga principles. But I do buy into the Jesuit mission of helping the disadvantaged population. If our basketball recruits buy into the whole Gonzaga "family" experience I wish them well, but for those of you who are pitching the GU experience as "family" experience for all GU basketball players, I wonder about that. But then again, as Sister Sledge said, we are family!

Sister Sledge.We are Family.1979.Joni - Carol - Kathy - Kim.Lyrics:*We are familyI got all my sisters with meWe are familyGet up, everybody, and sing (*repea...

Go Bulldogs!
                              Last edited by 75Zag; 01-23-2014, 05:30 PM.
                              Do not go gentle into that good night,
                              Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
                              Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

Working...
                              X