PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs San Diego...predictions and other thoughts

Reborn
01-22-2014, 07:05 AM
Gonzaga 83
San Diego 60

I am ready to see the Zags play again. I believe the Zags will be flying high as they return to K2 and the Kennel Club. The Kennel Club will be hot, hot, hot, and ready to show their love and appreciation for their Zags whom they have not seen play since before Christmas vacation. They have missed 4 home games, so they will be revved up. So will the Zags as they return home after 3 games (two weeks) on the road where they had to fight injuries and flu bug. Hopefully the team is getting more healthy every day now.

San Diego always has a good team, but it has had a difficult time beating Gonzaga in K2. I think this trend will continue this year. San Diego averages just about 70 ppg. Of course they shouldn't be able to score that in K2. They only shoot 36% from behind the 3 pt line. And are not a great rebounding team, averaging 35 rebounds per game. If the Zags play Zag basketball they should win easily.

Honestly, San Diego has been somewhat disappointing to me. I felt that they would do better in conference play. In looking at their games, they seem to be playing good, but are losing most of their games. 3 of their conference losses have been by 4, 3 and 2 points. Their best games so far were against San Diego St, where they lost at home by only one point, and @New Mexico where they lost by 7. These games do show that San Diego is capable of playing some very good basketball. So Gonzaga will need to be ready, and I know they will be.

I sort of compare San Diego to Santa Clara. They have very good guards who can shoot, and hurt you if you're not on your game. Gonzaga players have seen most of the players for San Diego a lot over the last two years as their main players are Juniors, one senior and one Sophomore.

Baseline
01-22-2014, 07:15 AM
SD has not lived up to expectations this year and they won't get on track by coming into GU. They will make a good game of it, but GU will dominate in the END.

GU 83
SD 71

DixieZag
01-22-2014, 07:17 AM
USD is always a trap, dangerous game on the road.

At home they have never been able to threaten - - I don't think so now either. Nor do I think Few will keep starters in as long when it is.

I think Reborns score is just about right: GU 84
SDU 66

gonzagafan62
01-22-2014, 07:17 AM
I am relatively excited for this game, believe it or not. All of USD's losses have been REALLY close with the exception of the game in Provo. I am ready to see if GBJ plays in this game, or potentially waits it out till Saturday. I am ready to see him again. Remember this is the same USD team that almost came away with a HUGE win for the WCC against SDSU. This is a talented team with Johnny Dee (who almost took us down single handedly last year.

This is going to be one of those nervewrecking games, I just hope we pull it out. @USD will be scarier, you know they will come to play.

Gonzaga at home 79
Johnny Dee and Co 72

Reborn
01-22-2014, 07:20 AM
USD is always a trap, dangerous game on the road.

At home they have never been able to threaten - - I don't think so now either. Nor do I think Few will keep starters in as long when it is.

I think Reborns score is just about right: GU 84
SDU 66

Just about right is pretty accurate. I am usually a little too high for GU. It might be in the realm of 20 pts; like you predict at 18 pts is probably closer. I'm going high because this will be the first time since Christmas that the Zags play with the student body (Kennel Club) at the game; so I expect the team will be rockin. Hope I'm right.

sittingon50
01-22-2014, 08:34 AM
They're really pumped on the USD Board!!

Last post, 1-8-14; about their Women's team.

Reborn
01-22-2014, 08:49 AM
Maybe its time for Billy to move on.

gonzagafan62
01-22-2014, 08:52 AM
Maybe its time for Billy to move on.

He should come back to Gonzaga. :doh:

Kiddwell
01-22-2014, 09:31 AM
Better athletes, better fans, better coaching staff.
---
Zags - 81
Tostidos - 66

:]

:espn2: The Zags continue their slow climb back into Top-25. :espn2:

former1dog
01-22-2014, 10:07 AM
Sad to say, Billy's on the way out, getting thumped by 20+ on Thursday isn't going to help. That's my prediction.

Its very, very puzzling also because they had a good season last year, most of the same people back this year and they are just blowing it.

stevet75
01-22-2014, 10:17 AM
I think Few might slow it down a bit, in the second half. He won't want to make Billy look bad.
Zags 76 SD 63

Reborn
01-22-2014, 10:18 AM
Sad to say, Billy's on the way out, getting thumped by 20+ on Thursday isn't going to help. That's my prediction.

Its very, very puzzling also because they had a good season last year, most of the same people back this year and they are just blowing it.

I tend to agree with you. I'm sure there's a job for him somewhere.

gonzagafan62
01-22-2014, 10:54 AM

Keeping a Head coach job really depends on how you evaluate and coach during the last few minutes of the game, how you gameplan, and if you can win close games. I think he is doing a good job, he just hasn't won the very close games. Sad to say, but he could have a gaudy record if he would have beaten some of these very good teams. Sorry Billy.

SWZag
01-22-2014, 10:55 AM

I still feel that it's unfortunate that he took a job in the WCC. Not sure what he was thinking or what was in his mind. There will be a place open and he'll work his way back up, with success.

GU only by 10, 78-68.

SWZag

RenoZag
01-22-2014, 11:42 AM
Gonzaga - 69
San Diego - 60

former1dog
01-22-2014, 12:18 PM

I feel bad for him. When I was in college, he was just starting his coaching career. I worked at the local pizza place delivering pizza's as a part time job and I always got the assignment to deliver to the basketball team after home games. I always delivered them to Billy and he always tipped well.

bigblahla
01-22-2014, 04:03 PM
I'm surprised the Toreros aren't playing better. Jito Kok plays good D, very active for his size. He can jump out of the building. If he ever finds an offense he'll be really fun to watch. Johnny Dee can pop from the three. The Toreros are inconsistent but when they're focused and playing team ball they can beat any team in the league. Might be close but Zags win. Hope to see some GBJ.

Go!! Zags!!!

Zagger
01-22-2014, 05:49 PM
I really feel a point rain is about to fall - Thursday or Saturday - hoping sooner for plain greedy reasons: Zags in the 90s, SD 20+ points behind. Pangos was off his mark last game - the ying/yang has got to be swinging his way. With SD playing so well and PK improving steadily - Barham too. SD doesn't stand a chance. Even Bell may see some minutes tomorrow. I just feel it's time for a blow-out. Too many players are poised to have a best of season performance. Go Zags!

TheGonzagaFactor
01-22-2014, 06:28 PM
It will be close with the Zags looking forward to BYU on Saturday. Zags by 4.

Hoopaholic
01-22-2014, 07:29 PM
74-62 zags let off on gas second half and "work on sets"

Reborn
01-22-2014, 08:27 PM
If there is one reason I don't want a blowout it would be because usually when we are really really hot one night we are off the next. Let's rain the 3's on Saturday. Friday nite will hopefully be a night we just continue to work on our plays, our chemistry, and cohesiveness. There are still guys learning to get comfortable in the offensive and defensive sets (Nunez especially, but coleman still too).

Reborn
01-23-2014, 08:10 AM
Game Day. I'm excited. I can't wait to see the Zags in action again. The news that Gary Bell could be playing tonight really has me excited. The whole team will finally be suited up. I'm looking forward to seeing that ball move from side to side with precision passing as the Zags work their plays. It's a beautiful offense to watch. I'm looking forward to seeing the Zags work as a team; it's a wonderful thing to see. And that defense sure has been tough this year. I'm also looking forward to seeing The Big Mountain standing in the middle of the key, with hands raised and chest out, telling all Toreros that that space belongs to him and that they better try something else. I'm sure Billy will attack him. All teams have. But man, he has learned not to foul, and it's one of his greatest skills on D. Can anyone stop Sam? I don't think the Toreros can. Will he go right or left, dribble or pull up for a jumper? Will he post up low or high? He has so many moves now. Will Kevin get his 3 point shot back? He usually shoots well in K2. Will Drew Barham ignite the fire inside the Kennel with his hot 3 pt shooting? I hope so. I would love to see Kevin, Gary and Drew all on the court together draining one 3 pt shot after another and the Kennel Club going nuts. And why not add Kyle and put him on the court too, and watch as the Zags drain over 10 threes once again. Who knows what Few will do. He now has so many things he can do. And let's not forget that Sam can shoot the 3 ball too. Who knows? Maybe Mark Few will be in a real good mood and let his Zags break Creighton's record for making something like 22 three-pointers? hahahahah Just kidding I think. Or am I? How well can these Zags shoot? I'm looking forward to seeing David Stockton play. I love his hustle as steals another pass or dives to the floor. I love to see him throw that beautiful bounce pass inside to Sam and PK. Who know? Maybe he'll knock down another 3. Once again I'm looking forward to seeing our the two most ahletic Zags, Coleman and Nunez, as they continue to slice up opposing defenses and run the court like gazelles. I'll be waiting and hoping to see Nunez throw one down that makes ESPN's top 10 plays of the day. I love this Zag team. I'm proud of what they've done, against all odds. Now it's time to get back to seeing them all playing together and see how much better they are now, in spite of all the adversity.

Go Zags!!!

Zagdawg
01-23-2014, 09:16 AM
Chris Sarbaugh numbers at San Diego 15 mins a game with 3 pts 1.4 rbs and 1.3 assists

Shooting 50% from the field 0% from three and 50% from the line

bballbeachbum
01-23-2014, 09:29 AM
would love to see the pedal to the metal all game long, no let up at all for 40 minutes. Can't say the Zags always appear to play that way against Billy's boys for whatever reason. Not calling out Few right now, please be advised, just making an observation on the team over the years vs. USD

Kiddwell
01-23-2014, 09:33 AM
Forgot to add (above): Pilots, give Zags an assist and upset the Cougars! :boxing:

UP - 73
BYU - 71

:]

Reborn
01-23-2014, 10:11 AM
Yes. I think the game between Portland and BYU will be really good. The question is, can they (Portland) get the fans to come out. I know those fans helped them when they beat Gonzaga. However, to often the fans at most of the fans in the WCC do not come out to see their team accept when they play Gonzaga. I like Portland alot and hope they knock off BYU too. However I think though that BYU will beat Portland by 3. That's ok too because then we have a big time show down between GU and BYU on Saturday. Two top 40 teams in the RPI.

bigblahla
01-23-2014, 10:29 AM
I imagine there will be lots of BYU fans at the Portland game. Hopefully the Pilots will play with the same zeal that they showed against the Zags. I really like Reveno. I Had the chance to speak with him on a couple of different trips to the WCC tournament in Vegas, real nice guy and very down to earth.

Go!! Zags!!!

Zag 77
01-23-2014, 12:41 PM
I would not expect any big whooping of USD. Few and Grier go way back as friends and no way does he want to do anything to help get Grier fired at the end of the season.

exclusivelee
01-23-2014, 01:08 PM
Forgot to add (above): Pilots, give Zags an assist and upset the Cougars! :boxing:

UP - 73
BYU - 71

Actually hoping BYU wins agaisnt Portland. Zags need more RPI top 50 wins.

As it stands, Zags are 1-1 against the RPI top 50 (win over #50 Saint Mary's & loss to #34 Kansas State)

and 5-2 against the RPI top 100 (win over #73 New Mexico State, win over #74 Arkansas, win over #83 Pacific, win over #100 San Francisco, & loss to #59 Dayton)