PDA

View Full Version : why are people so happy with pk....

izzjess
01-18-2014, 06:41 PM
i know this will likely be pulled down and removed....but I just don't understand what people see in him...hes big and that's about it....I think hes the worst center we have had at gu in over a decade...I used to be so frustrated with Robert C... but I would give anything to have him back.....at least he could make free throws...and he could shoot a outside jumper...but pk....give me a break, he has a hard enough time putting the ball in the hoop when hes standing underneath the hoop...I don't think he would last 2 seconds in the nba.....I feel foster had more basketball Iq than pk.....think about it....think about the starting centers we have had here in the last decade....wouldn't you guys take any of them over pk.....therereeerereereree my vent is done......or is it...

Hoopaholic
01-18-2014, 06:47 PM
i know this will likely be pulled down and removed....but I just don't understand what people see in him...hes big and that's about it....I think hes the worst center we have had at gu in over a decade...I used to be so frustrated with Robert C... but I would give anything to have him back.....at least he could make free throws...and he could shoot a outside jumper...but pk....give me a break, he has a hard enough time putting the ball in the hoop when hes standing underneath the hoop...I don't think he would last 2 seconds in the nba.....I feel foster had more basketball Iq than pk.....think about it....think about the starting centers we have had here in the last decade....wouldn't you guys take any of them over pk.....therereeerereereree my vent is done......or is it...

Let's see. Where to start

Team leader in rebounding
Shooting almost 60% from floor
Teams leading shot blocker at almost two a game
FORCES teams to consistently double down on him in block opening outside shooter
Best big man for passing
Dominates the paint on defense

In other words does JUST what a post player should do for his team

Might want to exhale whatever you are smoking

sittingon50
01-18-2014, 06:56 PM
Soph Stats:
MPG: RS 25.2 PK 24.2
PPG: RS 10.3 PK 10.3
FG%: RS .526 PK .591
FT%: RS .629 PK .500
RBS: RS 5.4 PK 7.6

Thanks for your analysis.

Vanzagger
01-18-2014, 06:59 PM
he's starting to show some of that passing that had us all excited when his videos first hit the threads. That behind the back bounce pass was some Magic/Bird stuff

FieldHouseFishHouse
01-18-2014, 07:14 PM

You must be joking.

If not, I would point out that Karnowski's skill in positioning himself in the post gets him shots that look easy (maybe to the casual fan). His movement without the ball is comparable to Sacre's as a Junior...and Sacre had an extra year to develop.

He doesn't look explosive, but that's not his game. If you watch closely, you will see him change the game on both ends of the floor with his size and positioning.

MTZag03
01-18-2014, 07:15 PM
Yes, we all envisioned him dunking anything within 5 feet of the basket on at least 30% of all possessions and getting literally every rebound. Even if that is not what PK is, he's a darn good center. He completely changes the way other teams approach the interior. He rebounds very well. He passes out of double teams like a boss. Remember Sacre not knowing what to do with double teams? Remember Sacre always bringing the ball down or dribbling it whenever he got a pass? PK generally does not do those things. He also shows sometimes athleticism with some of his off balance-going out of bounds layups off of misguided passes. So no, he is not Dwight Howard or Shaq, but he's pretty good.

MDABE80
01-18-2014, 07:17 PM
The numbers are fine. He just looks like hell when he's putting them up;)

Blackbeard
01-18-2014, 07:23 PM
I don't think people are 'happy' with him but you can't compare him to the last decade as the dude is only a sophomore. Lets start making comparisons his junior and senior year.

He comes off as unathletic (especially when he is shooting FT) which is why there are haters out there. He wouldn't last a minute in the NBA but as the other posters said his sheer size makes him a valuable asset for GU that is playing all these mickey mouse teams in the WCC.

LongIslandZagFan
01-18-2014, 07:37 PM

Why would it get pulled down? Have fun taking your lumps on this one.

Reborn
01-18-2014, 07:55 PM
I am sure he was sick today. He kind of looked the way he did vs Portland.

When he's healthy he's a giant on defense. He's learned how to stay out of foul trouble which is pretty incredible from where he started out this year. Better right and left hand hook then Sacre ever had. I do wish PK had some of Roberts passion. I miss that about Sacre. He can pass pretty well out of the double team. It took Sacre longer to learn that important skill.

Oregonzagnut
01-18-2014, 07:57 PM
Gee whiz, even as one who honestly believes that opposing views this board interesting, I am basically at a loss for words at this OP. Karno is SO big his ability to play at the Div1 pace is an accomplishment on it's own. Also the complicated play-book of Mark Few was, I am sure, not written in Polish. Like Adam Morrison, Karno has a disadvantage from the get-go to succeed in Div1 hoops. Adam's disadvantage was diabetes. Karno's disadvantage is language. Getting good grades in English language classrooms is also a huge accomplishment in and of itself!!

Karno physically dominated his age-group in Poland but if you look at his videos, he did not have the stamina or athleticism that he needs at the next level. Few knew this and the talk of him being a top 25 kid if he was in America came out after he committed to Gonzaga and was pure conjecture and optimism.

IMO, Karno needs to transform his body in the same manner as Kelly Olynyk did, when he does that, we will see a whole new Karnowski. But if we take Karnowskis place after 2 years and compare it with Kelly's place at the same time, we can see that Karno is far better than Kelly Olynyk at this stage. In the up-coming offseason, If Karno can ose 30 lbs and keep it off, that is 10% less weight to run and jump around in. So that will translate to 10% more stamina and maybe even a 10% increase in his vertical leap. AND it will allow him to be quicker in his defense, his off ball movement and his post moves with ball.

Karno is SOLID in physique and skill. And he is progressing at a pace that I am very happy with. I see a taller and better player than J.P. Batista who also couldn't jump very high. But J.P only had 2 years in Fews system. just wait until Karno is a senior playing with the likes of Wiltjer, Nunez, Perkins, Melson, Drano, Miekle and Edwards.

Zagceo
01-18-2014, 08:30 PM

Come on admit it your PKs younger brother!

ZagHouse
01-18-2014, 08:51 PM
I guess you missed the St. Mary's game.

zagamatic
01-18-2014, 09:12 PM
He's a sophomore half way thru the season. His offense is far ahead of Sacre at this point, even arguably with Rob as a senior. On defense, I notice a TON OF OPPONENTS drive into the lane, see PK and dribble right back out.
Granted, he is his own worst enemy because he gets inside his own head. IF he ever gets to the point of just playing and not thinking, he has tremendous potential. And there's only one way for that to happen, getting playing time. Even including last season, he really has less than one full season of experience. And he certainly seems to be learning quickly.
On a side note, after years of watching Rob get stripped by guys under 6 foot tall because he ALMOST ALWAYS brought the ball DOWN, I am more than willing to give Shem the benefit of the doubt.

Baseline
01-18-2014, 09:29 PM
Shem's transformation on defense since the start of the year is one of the biggest changes I have witnessed. He started out a fouling machine and out of position. He now not only doesn't foul, he has learned how to attack on defense and play the ball, not the guy, that is huge and the reason he is getting the blocks.
On rebounding he has learned position and has quit going over the back. What I find exciting is he is expanding his area and is getting petty good out of area rebounds. He is quite dominant today, but the rate he is learning he will be a force by his senior year. I believe his defense and rebounding alone will get him into the NBA. In many ways, he is now better than Rob in my opinion and I have the highest regards for Rob. I believe Shem will out rebound Rob on any given day.

On offense he is close to Rob in getting early position. He has a decent hook, but he does need to expand his game. I believe he has a decent Jumper, but is not comfortable taking it. He has good hands and catches it coming in, does not lower the ball on high passes or rebounds so not much stripping going on. It looks like Few is starting to get him to pass, much of what he did in Europe.

If Shem can continue to dominate the paint and do it outside the WCC, some surprises could be in store at tournament time. The Gem is starting to Shine.

izzjess
01-18-2014, 09:44 PM
and this is why I like this board...you guys have given me things to think about...and I didn't get thumped that hard at all ...I love this board ...thanks guys

sittingon50
01-18-2014, 11:36 PM
...and I didn't get thumped that hard at all ...

Yeah, well it's early!;)

Bing
01-18-2014, 11:55 PM

I thought the full moon was last night.

maynard g krebs
01-19-2014, 12:21 AM
I just don't understand what people see in him...hes big and that's about it....I think hes the worst center we have had at gu in over a decade....I feel foster had more basketball Iq than pk....

Ironically enough, I think this may be the worst post I've seen on the board since its inception....it has a lot of dots in place of punctuation and that's just about it....a monkey digging grubs out of a log with a pointed stick has more basketball IQ than this post....at least he might use the proper article, "an" instead of "a" before the words "outside jumper"....but he'd certainly be more likely to see PK's value as a basketball player....

Did I properly capture the spirit of the thread? :)

Seriously, though it has slipped a bit since his illness, his rebound per minute rate for the season is still the highest of any Zag player in the last 15 years, about 12.6 per 40. Without doing the exact math, on a per minute basis his blocked shot rate for the season trails only Austin Daye's so yr by a hair and is overall a bit better than Turiaf, Sacre, and Heytvelt's, the other guys who blocked a substantial # of shots in the last decade. And my guess is that his presence is altering more shots than anyone else did.

Notice him guarding Davis of Pepp 20+ ft from the basket? Earlier in the year, one of the commentators mentioned Few's comfort with Karno's ability to hedge on the high ball screen and have enough quickness to recover.

His offensive game is a work in progress, but he's tied for 62nd in the country in fg%, for god's sake.
Nice hook shot with either hand and gets great position. Draws a ton of fouls, which puts pressure on the opposition even if he's only making half his ft's. And his points per ft attempt is the highest on the team at about 1.7, with Pangos, Bell, Dower all around 1.5.

Ekrub
01-19-2014, 12:37 AM
He might be the worst center at GU in the past decade but only because we've had a bunch of NBA/borderline NBA guys at that position. Only a Sophmore, he will improve. I personally don't think he is an NBA player but think he's developed into a very good player. Get that FT% up

Oregonzagnut
01-19-2014, 12:47 AM
i know this will likely be pulled down and removed....but I just don't understand what people see in him...hes big and that's about it....I think hes the worst center we have had at gu in over a decade...I used to be so frustrated with Robert C...

Who is Robert C? :clap:

Birddog
01-19-2014, 04:28 AM
and this is why I like this board...you guys have given me things to think about...and I didn't get thumped that hard at all ...I love this board ...thanks guys

OK, I'll help you out. You're a chowderhead and your mother wears combat boots!

jazzdelmar
01-19-2014, 04:39 AM
Who is Robert C? :clap:

robert saCre?

Zagger
01-19-2014, 06:28 AM
I think PK's greatest asset as a Zag is his big heart (character) and his admiration for GU and his fellow teammates. And I said "greatest" - not his only asset. Folks above have well pointed out the talent Mount K brings to the Zags. It is hard to imagine not having Mount K on the team.

BTB
01-19-2014, 07:08 AM
He might be the worst center at GU in the past decade but only because we've had a bunch of NBA/borderline NBA guys at that position. Only a Sophmore, he will improve. I personally don't think he is an NBA player but think he's developed into a very good player. Get that FT% up

If he can get his ft% up to even 70% he will be averaging at least 15-16 ppg. Add in the fact that people won't foul him every time he gets a decent look so his FG% should see an uptick as well. I'm confident that at some point free throws are going to start clicking for him and he will go from whatever he's at now to around 70% just about overnight.

cjm720
01-19-2014, 07:22 AM
He's way better than Sacre was, overall, at the same point in their careers.

BTB
01-19-2014, 07:40 AM
He's way better than Sacre was, overall, at the same point in their careers.

I've been majorly on the Karno bandwagon all year and already got ripped for saying this earlier, but I still think Karno is better now than Sacre was as a senior. He is a far superior rebounder. His offensive game is more advanced. He is way more adept at passing out of double teams (both of them absolutely had to be doubled). Maybe I am forgetting the impact Sacre had defensively, but the way Karno has clogged the paint the last month is also better than I remember Sacre ever doing it. Of course, Sacre was more consistent with it but Karno has just been a monster defensively for the most part this last month.

The two things Sacre did much better was shoot free throws and provide leadership and fire. This last one is especially important and probably puts Sacre ahead in most peoples books.

WallaWallaZag
01-19-2014, 07:42 AM

no offense, but if you can't see how dominating pk can be when he's playing well and how much he can impact the game when he's only playing average, you don't know very much about basketball. his size and presence alone clogs up the paint and he shuts down opposing big men...go take a look at what waldow, cole dickerson/kruize pinkins and brendan lane are doing against other teams and go watch what happened to them against the zags.

izzjess
01-19-2014, 08:20 AM
ill give you some gooder gramers.....I ,,,,wentto.....thhy storeeeeeees Became....brociiiilyyyyyyyyyyyyy....dot dot dot....

zagamatic
01-19-2014, 09:32 AM
Here's kind of a scary thought, for opposing teams anyway, can you imagine what Shem's field goal percentage would be if teams weren't hacking him intentionally a good portion of the time? He could potentially be around 75-80%. So, if you think about it, if he was shooting free throws well, and teams couldn't just go all hack a Shem, he would most likely be a lottery pick THIS YEAR. And it seems to me that his free throw shooting is becoming more of an automatic process than something that he is thinking about every time.

VaBeachZAG
01-19-2014, 10:12 AM
I personally don't think he is an NBA player but think he's developed into a very good player

I think PK has a chance at the NBA, but not in the near term. PK has some desirable skills to go along with his 7'1" height. However, His weaknesses are glaring. He needs to gain a lot of strength and simultaneously drop some considerable weight to improve his athleticism. For example, it's frustrating to see much smaller guys (e.g., 6'8"/6'9") blocking PK's shot under the basket because of his inability to elevate. Fortunately, as a sophomore, he has plenty of time to work on his body and skill set (I just hope he is personally committed to do it, for his own sake and for the sake of the team). Personally. I am hoping to see a much greater improvement in conditioning and athleticism between his sophomore and junior years, than we are seeing between last year and this year. Also, as someone else pointed out, he needs to get out of his own head and just play the game and have fun; getting down on himself because of a bad play benefits no one but the opposing team.

Ekrub
01-19-2014, 10:36 AM
If he can get his ft% up to even 70% he will be averaging at least 15-16 ppg. Add in the fact that people won't foul him every time he gets a decent look so his FG% should see an uptick as well. I'm confident that at some point free throws are going to start clicking for him and he will go from whatever he's at now to around 70% just about overnight.

That would raise him up on the list of centers at GU and help his game immensely. He's one of many great Centers we've had at GU; Olynyk, Sacre, Heytvelt, Batista...

I think he has NBA potential but he's going to need to pick up those FTs and get a little quicker/stronger. His defense and rebounding clicked overnight halfway through the season, so we know he is working on improvement.

bballbeachbum
01-19-2014, 10:45 AM
even yesterday Shem was something in the paint, covering for others often and effectively. hope they don't whistle him off the floor when other conference refs call GU games; I think you can see how WCC refs view him in there, arms straight up, holding his ground and not sliding around...a mountain. but the contact could draw whistles from refs not familiar maybe? we'll see. would suck because he makes a mountain of difference to the team's overall defense when he's the anchor. Like Vinny said in the game thread yesterday, pretty amazing transformation in season for him on the D end. being able to stay on the floor and not be foul prone the big difference imo.

and I understand he's always been rebounding at a good clip already but not defending like this all season. for me, with all the injuries, he's been the difference, the rising tide that floats all boats

BobZag
01-19-2014, 11:11 AM

I'm pissed at how baaaad he is! Damn that #######.

Zag365
01-19-2014, 11:26 AM
That's why "sabermetrics" came along. Shem looks raw, clumsy, and awkward on a number of possessions (I'm still baffled by how often he falls down/gets knocked over -- happened again yesterday). Can we say un-"Polished"? But as other posters have said, check his stats. He's generally effective (yes, needs to improve his FT %) and perfect fit for GU, which plays a team-style, pass to get the easiest bucket, opportunistic points-in-the-paint, inside presence for rebounding/defense, hustle, no-ego, (etc., etc. -- you know, "Zag" character). He's got a tremendous upside and, to my eye, keeps improving, which, again, is a prototypical Zag player. GU is highly unlikely to get one and done types. To its credit, the Few staff has made a virtue of necessity by finding players that, with coaching and willingness to be coached, can become great college players and possible pro's after three or four years in the GU system. I think Shem is clearly one of those. He's going to make his mark as another great Zag big man by the time his GU "career" is over and he'll be a great mentor for development of RE.

jim77
01-19-2014, 12:10 PM
Ironically enough, I think this may be the worst post I've seen on the board since its inception....it has a lot of dots in place of punctuation and that's just about it....a monkey digging grubs out of a log with a pointed stick has more basketball IQ than this post....at least he might use the proper article, "an" instead of "a" before the words "outside jumper"....but he'd certainly be more likely to see PK's value as a basketball player....

Did I properly capture the spirit of the thread? :)

Seriously, though it has slipped a bit since his illness, his rebound per minute rate for the season is still the highest of any Zag player in the last 15 years, about 12.6 per 40. Without doing the exact math, on a per minute basis his blocked shot rate for the season trails only Austin Daye's so yr by a hair and is overall a bit better than Turiaf, Sacre, and Heytvelt's, the other guys who blocked a substantial # of shots in the last decade. And my guess is that his presence is altering more shots than anyone else did.

Notice him guarding Davis of Pepp 20+ ft from the basket? Earlier in the year, one of the commentators mentioned Few's comfort with Karno's ability to hedge on the high ball screen and have enough quickness to recover.

His offensive game is a work in progress, but he's tied for 62nd in the country in fg%, for god's sake.
Nice hook shot with either hand and gets great position. Draws a ton of fouls, which puts pressure on the opposition even if he's only making half his ft's. And his points per ft attempt is the highest on the team at about 1.7, with Pangos, Bell, Dower all around 1.5.

Thanks for the kind words .....Shem certainly does change the game. The Big fella takes up so much space that he blocks out without realizing it...he owns his space. Ever notice how well that he gets up the court? The kid is in waaay better shape than last year. I didn't realize his stats were on par or better than Big Rob's. The kid has improved much just since the start of this season. I also love the HI-LO Shem and Sam have going on....they work well together. The Big Guy can sometimes be hard on himself but, that's because he wants to be successful at his game...and his progress shows it. Its amazing what GU has done with these raw recruits...Ronny....Robert...Kelly...all shaky their first year or so....and ALL made the NBA.....Shem is next. I suspect Mitch K wanted a look for himself.

vandalzag
01-19-2014, 12:56 PM
When he is on he is very good, but his performances have been a series of highs and lows. Usually when he plays bad, he gets frustrated and mentally shuts down. I think we saw that in the 2nd half yesterday. The game became hectic and he did not get comfortable and became frustrated. I think that is why Few pulled him for the duration. But when he is on he is a force and he has shown steady improvement. Really see a lot of parallel to Sacre's development from Freshman to Sophomore years. As the game continues to slow down for him he will be a force next year.

BobZag
01-19-2014, 03:03 PM
I am NOT happy!

Ezag
01-19-2014, 03:26 PM
His stats as a sophomore are about the same as Sacre and Turiaf.....he just needs to figure out how to hold onto the ball and shoot at least 60-70% FT's he'll be fine. I think he could actually benefit by losing some more weight. He is still to bulky for this fast college game.

MDABE80
01-19-2014, 03:32 PM
Needs training in eye-hand coordination. Lateral movement not so good (yet)............and if Shem wants to make a huge impact, he has to make his Free Throws. Shem would be making 5 more ppg if he shot FT's well. Like the kid. A bit clumbsy yet but I suspect he'll get that worked out. Lucky to have him.

maynard g krebs
01-19-2014, 03:47 PM
Actually he has shot 112 fts in 19 games, a shade under 6 per game. He makes 3 of 6 on average. If he was shooting 67% he'd make 4 of the 6 and be scoring one more pt per game. If he shot83% he'd make 5 of 6 and score 2 more per game, on average.

People shouldn't throw out inaccurate numbers for dramatic effect.

MDABE80
01-19-2014, 04:06 PM
Still 50%...you happy with that? He's been lucky so far......he'll get lots more chances with the Hacking he'll get.

DixieZag
01-19-2014, 06:09 PM
I actually think PK has pretty good hands.

He got the ball knocked away a lot early (and a little still) because the would bring the ball back down.

In terms of catching the ball in traffic, I've thought he does a pretty good job?

maynard g krebs
01-19-2014, 06:37 PM
Still 50%...you happy with that?

No. But I think he's getting better, as he is in other areas.

WallaWallaZag
01-19-2014, 06:52 PM
No. But I think he's getting better, as he is in other areas.

i think pk has shown consistent improvement over the course of the season...he has occasional relapses, particularly ft shooting, but overall he has improved significantly and he was particularly effective when dower was out with the injury. getting the two of them playing well together will make the offense more effective...the olynyk to harris high-low gave opponents fits last year.

Oregonzagnut
01-19-2014, 06:57 PM
IMO, the biggest thing Shem can do is lose 30 lbs. That will keep him from getting tired as quickly, it will allow him to jump higher and it will make him quicker. those things will affect every aspect of his game from his hook shots, his defense, winning tip offs and even his free throws.

MDABE80
01-19-2014, 07:05 PM
i think pk has shown consistent improvement over the course of the season...he has occasional relapses, particularly ft shooting, but overall he has improved significantly and he was particularly effective when dower was out with the injury. getting the two of them playing well together will make the offense more effective...the olynyk to harris high-low gave opponents fits last year.

And if you believe that, he'll get more points from being fouled more.:)

titopoet
01-19-2014, 07:11 PM

You are right. And what is it starting Pangos? Last year. Few should have sat Olynyk and Harris, what about playing Ammo so much, that guy stunk. The reality is Rem should the starting center and Dower should be the Point guard. I love your logic. A seven footer that clogged the lane, gets rebounds and shoots 60 % and opens 3 point shooting is just a drag on the team. Basketball genius just basketball genius. I don't think you should ever be banned, we all need a good laugh now and then.

vandalzag
01-19-2014, 07:50 PM
Still 50%...you happy with that? He's been lucky so far......he'll get lots more chances with the Hacking he'll get.

He is lucky he is not letting math or facts get in the way, because that would be embarrassing.

peg645
01-19-2014, 09:38 PM
I have not posted for years, but I am so such in agreement with EKrub's post that I had to go through getting a new password, etc. Yes, he is OK for the WCC. Just wait until Memphis. It just depends on whether you want GU to be a national team or just a competitor in the WCC. Just remember last year with Rob and Kelly.Then watch our next game.

I simply do not understand why Coleman and Nunnez can't make mistakes and stay on the court but PK can make mistake after mistake after mistake and never get yanked. I'm sure he is a nice young man. Probably Bol Kong was as well.

jagwalkley
01-20-2014, 10:28 AM

We should be happy that we have a guy in there that can pass,block a few shots.You don't get guys like Bill Walton very often,or ever to come here.

former1dog
01-20-2014, 10:32 AM
ill give you some gooder gramers.....I ,,,,wentto.....thhy storeeeeeees Became....brociiiilyyyyyyyyyyyyy....dot dot dot....

About the same quality as the original post. Thanks.

cjm720
01-20-2014, 10:55 AM
First, Karnowski's playing might fine. He's a big body that helps us win games...sure he can improve but he's only a sophomore. I definitely see him an NBA caliber player. As far as comparing him to past players, that's an interesting exercise but futile to the success of this team....

And to the OP, you lose 100% credibility if you think Foster has more basketball IQ than PK...that's the most unintelligent observation I've ever seen on this board.

jagwalkley
01-20-2014, 10:56 AM
If Karno loses some weight,etc. He will be just fine. If someone on the board thinks Foster is(was) ahead of Karno(IQ<maybe,he needs to clean off his glasses.or get contact lenses.wow.

DixieZag
01-20-2014, 11:30 AM
There is no stat showing the number of drives to the basket not taken b/c it was doomed, nor any of shots made much harder b/c of his presence. We do see it in the defense, such as against SMC and how valuable it is.

I would label his troubles (whatever one might point out) as inconsistency, just like a lot of young players. He didn't get much time behind two NBAers last year.

jagwalkley
01-20-2014, 11:55 AM
you have started a good one going forward.Next year should really be special.I see pk sleepwalking and playing better than Foster and was not a big fan of Rob.We''ll see what happens.

izzjess
01-21-2014, 10:10 PM
you are all very welcome..

ZagaZags
01-21-2014, 11:15 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like the last few games Karnowski has been on the bench with 5 minutes to go in the game.

CDC84
01-22-2014, 12:03 AM
He may come off as unathletic in terms of his jumping ability, but you certainly cannot say that about him when he's running the floor. He's fantastic in transition, although it's odd that we haven't seen much of that from him of late.

I think Karno is only going to get better and better. Unfortunately, I have just accepted that he's going to be a bad free throw shooter. Maybe he can push it to 60%, I don't know. He's put in all the work that a human can possibly do to better that part of his game, and it just ain't happening. I would rather he focus on other areas, like consistently finishing around the basket through contact so that his bad foul shooting isn't as much of a factor. He also needs to just dunk the basketball more. Very few people can block his shot if he attacks the rim with anger.

former1dog
01-22-2014, 07:59 AM
Unfortunately, I have just accepted that he's going to be a bad free throw shooter. Maybe he can push it to 60%, I don't know. He's put in all the work that a human can possibly do to better that part of his game, and it just ain't happening.

Sports psychologist, hello!!!

Professional golfers use them all the time.

Karno's woes are not mechanical. His shooting form is just fine. So, I contend its all in his head.

CDC84
01-22-2014, 09:13 AM
Sports psychologist, hello!!!

Professional golfers use them all the time.

Karno's woes are not mechanical. His shooting form is just fine. So, I contend its all in his head.

If he hasn't tried this, it might be a good idea. But I have my doubts. My experience in the game is that certain guys are just bad foul shooters, and that the greatest thing everyone involved can do is just accept it to be a fact of life. Unlike a golf swing, there are so many other factors that go into being a great basketball player, and that something like this can derail a player from developing those areas that are more easily improved. I worry about it being too much of a focus with him. I could name you many other things he needs to improve on....some of them more important than foul shooting.

cjm720
01-22-2014, 09:17 AM
He's got pretty good form and rotation. Last year I felt he bent over too much as he concentrated before going into shooting motion. This year I don't see that. I see a horrible foul shooter with good form and promise....seems to be an issue upstairs.

former1dog
01-22-2014, 10:22 AM
If he hasn't tried this, it might be a good idea. But I have my doubts. My experience in the game is that certain guys are just bad foul shooters, and that the greatest thing everyone involved can do is just accept it to be a fact of life. Unlike a golf swing, there are so many other factors that go into being a great basketball player, and that something like this can derail a player from developing those areas that are more easily improved. I worry about it being too much of a focus with him. I could name you many other things he needs to improve on....some of them more important than foul shooting.

Sounds really like what pro golfers are trying to do when seeing a sports psychologist. Simplify the process, eliminate unnecessary swing thoughts, focus on the positive.

CDC84
01-22-2014, 12:15 PM
Again, I think a sports psychologist may do the trick, but I worry about people getting so obsessed over his free throw shooting that he will fail to develop other areas of his game, including areas that are more important than his foul shooting (and I firmly believe there are those areas). These guys only have so much time to work on their respective games, and at some point, they also need to get away from the basketball floor and do other things.

gonzagafan62
01-22-2014, 12:19 PM
Why am I happy with Mount Karnowski? Are you nuts? He averages over 10pts, over 7 boards and 1.8 Blocks per game! ALMOST TWO BLOCKS A GAME! That's pretty good, I would say, especially for a second year player from Poland. I think if he stays he will do even better than this year, and just start dominating.

Reborn
01-22-2014, 12:22 PM
If Karno loses some weight,etc. He will be just fine. If someone on the board thinks Foster is(was) ahead of Karno(IQ<maybe,he needs to clean off his glasses.or get contact lenses.wow.

Well said....

Reborn
01-22-2014, 12:27 PM

what are a few of those things that you think are more important then his foul shooting? I am curious because I think he is improving in all the important areas of development, but his foul shooting can be horrible. In close games that lie ahead of us, the difference between winning and losing could be his foul shooting. What else is more important then that in the months ahead. I am very curious.

exclusivelee
01-22-2014, 12:42 PM
Anyone else loving Shem's passing ability lately? Limiting his turnovers and fouling less too.

Last 6 games:
6 assists (1 APG)
8 turnovers (1.333 TPG)
15 fouls (2.5 FPG)

First 13 games:
2 assists (0.154 APG)
29 turnovers (2.231 TPG)
40 fouls (3.077 FPG)

El Zag
01-22-2014, 12:50 PM
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/images/icons/icon1.png kp

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by izzjess http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=970631#post970631)

We should be happy that we have a guy in there that can pass,block a few shots.You don't get guys like Ryan Spangler very often,or ever to come here.

Kiddwell
01-22-2014, 12:51 PM
Kiddwell likes The Karnivore a lot. This fan expected him to foul out every game (thanks to Dayton game), but he's showing a lot more poise and savvy. Had he high school'd in the USA, he'd be much more polished. If The Karnivore can lose 30 pounds (while adding strength), his hops might be up a couple/three inches, his speed/endurance would see a boost, etc., etc.

Shem shouldn't even think NBA (IMHO) till post-senior season. If he and Wilter stay/improve through their seniors years, they'll both be NBA picks (IMHO), and the Zags will be as good (their senior year) as they've ever been.

:]

75Zag
01-22-2014, 06:23 PM
... If he and Wilter stay/improve through their seniors years, they'll both be NBA picks (IMHO) ...

I don't know about the NBA, but if they both play for GU as seniors and assuming we get some decent replacement guards, it could be a very exciting season. But I am focused on the 2014 NCAA tournament, not the future. Here's hoping that GU makes a deep run with what we have this year.

Go Bulldogs!

RenoZag
01-30-2014, 12:04 AM
I was pretty happy with Mr. K in the first half tonight. . .

Zags11
01-30-2014, 12:24 AM
80% winning by coach. Armchair coaches don't know jack...lol. tribute to ol'bart.

ZagaZags
01-30-2014, 12:46 AM
Karnowski is really, really, really BIG. That is always a good thing.

MTZag03
01-30-2014, 05:27 AM
Karnowski is really, really, really BIG. That is always a good thing.

Is this fitting? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnnHprUGKF0

Birddog
01-30-2014, 06:39 AM
It must be really frustrating for him to pick up those "proximity fouls" and then get hacked by the smaller "Bigs" that are defending him. Not much tit for tat in Shems world.

bigblahla
01-30-2014, 06:57 AM
It must be really frustrating for him to pick up those "proximity fouls" and then get hacked by the smaller "Bigs" that are defending him. Not much tit for tat in Shems world.

Yep, he gets the Shaq attack treatment because he is big he's fair game, hack away fellas it's ok. Horrific reffing when it comes to Shem. Definitely a double standard. That traveling call when McArthur backed underneath him taking his legs out when he was in the air rebounding was so bogus.

Go!! Zags!!!

Bocco
01-30-2014, 07:18 AM
Yep, he gets the Shaq attack treatment because he is big he's fair game, hack away fellas it's ok. Horrific reffing when it comes to Shem. Definitely a double standard. That traveling call when McArthur backed underneath him taking his legs out when he was in the air rebounding was so bogus.

Go!! Zags!!!
...and then there was the bogus call when a SCU player ran into Karno, bounced off of him and fell to the floor, and Karno was called for the foul.

zagamatic
01-30-2014, 10:26 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Mark Few really needs to get on the refs about all of these b.s. calls on Shem up to and including getting T'd up and/or filing out some sort of official complaint. Unless he shows Shem that he's got his back I seriously doubt that Shem will ever get out of his own head. And we will most likely be saying goodbye to him after this season because as a NBA scout I would be emphasizing the fact that he'll get a fairer shake at the next level. Just my two bits.

gonzagafan62
01-30-2014, 10:51 AM
I guess it really sucks to have someone that blocks 4 shots, and gets 10 points.

Angelo Roncalli
01-30-2014, 11:06 AM
Shem was battling for position to the left of key when Sam's shot went up. As soon as the ball touched the twine, Shem turned and steamrolled down the court and set up. No celebration or looking at the bench along the way. He went directly to his defensive spot. Had Santa Clara not taken a timeout, Shem was ready. Love to see stuff like that.

MTZag03
01-30-2014, 11:25 AM
Good catch AR. I didn't notice of course since I was so stunned by dower's shot. That sort of stuff can win or lose games for you. I'm very glad we have karno.

Hoopaholic
01-30-2014, 11:29 AM
Shem was battling for position to the left of key when Sam's shot went up. As soon as the ball touched the twine, Shem turned and steamrolled down the court and set up. No celebration or looking at the bench along the way. He went directly to his defensive spot. Had Santa Clara not taken a timeout, Shem was ready. Love to see stuff like that.

you are an astute observer of the finer things on the hardwood

MEZAG
01-30-2014, 11:35 AM

Not only that but he was shouting at his team mates to "FOCUS! THE FAT LADY HASN'T SUNG!" Not a direct quote but something along those lines.

Vanzagger
01-30-2014, 01:25 PM
Mature kid. I think his dad is a coach

gamagin
01-30-2014, 01:30 PM
It seems like the more he plays the better he gets. Coordinated, working on his temper. even making f.t.'s. we got a steal.

gonzagafan62
01-30-2014, 01:43 PM
PK will be awesome once he can creep that FT% up another 10%. I really hope he stays one more year at GU

MTZag03
01-30-2014, 02:54 PM
PK will be awesome once he can creep that FT% up another 10%. I really hope he stays one more year at GU

I was also thinking if he lost 15 pounds and added a few inches of vertical he probably would have blocked some of those late game floaters. He certainly has potential.

webspinnre
01-30-2014, 03:00 PM
I was also thinking if he lost 15 pounds and added a few inches of vertical he probably would have blocked some of those late game floaters. He certainly has potential.

And really, he defended both of those very well - those aren't easy shots having to put up over him like that, and he didn't go after the player for the foul.

ZagaZags
01-31-2014, 01:21 AM
Not only that but he was shouting at his team mates to "FOCUS! THE FAT LADY HASN'T SUNG!" Not a direct quote but something along those lines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb7nwoQVkQE