PDA

View Full Version : Spangler

NYCZAG
01-18-2014, 11:52 AM
Watching him play against Baylor and wondering what if. Don't think I realized what a bad loss he was. He anchors that D and plays so hard. He would of been huge for this team this year....

Zippyzaggy
01-18-2014, 11:56 AM
Watching him play against Baylor and wondering what if. Don't think I realized what a bad loss he was. He anchors that D and plays so hard. He would of been huge for this team this year....

He wanted a chance to PLAY, which he felt would not be happening at the level of his expectations. The reason floated "being homesick" for leaving, had nothing to do with it.

He would have been a MONSTER for the Zags. Oh well...

jazzdelmar
01-18-2014, 11:59 AM
Oy vay, to coin a NYC expression. Yes, he wanted to play, saw KO looming for two years ahead of him and decided to bust a move. Homesick spin was shaky. Kids wanna play, so would you have traded KO for one year for Spangs for three more?

Vanzagger
01-18-2014, 12:00 PM
He was a big time get. Jeff Capel handed us him like Tubby handed us Dower. Many thought he would play football too.

Oregonzagnut
01-18-2014, 12:06 PM
Patience is becoming less and less important in sports. But Few does things slowly and surely, and this is probably more frustrating for the players than it is for us fans.

Ekrub
Oy vay, to coin a NYC expression. Yes, he wanted to play, saw KO looming for two years ahead of him and decided to bust a move. Homesick spin was shaky. Kids wanna play, so would you have traded KO for one year for Spangs for three more?

East coast snob ;)

If we still had Spangler would we have wiltjer?

El Zag
I believe he was asked to red shirt. He won't get the usual double double today . He missed a foul shot and a fg but he is the leading rebounder in the win against # 12 Baylor.

jagwalkley
He reminds me of Cory Violette. We would be a real hit,thats life.

Ekrub
01-18-2014, 12:08 PM
I believe he was asked to red shirt. He won't get the usual double double today . He missed a foul shot and a fg but he is the leading rebounder in the win against # 12 Baylor.

I think he is the leading rebounder in the big 12.

bballbeachbum
01-18-2014, 12:51 PM
Spangler is a stud with what look like gigantic vacuum cleaners for hands and an old school V8 motor that does not stop

hooter73
01-18-2014, 02:21 PM
If it was just wanting to play, then transferring to a mandatory redshirt doesnt skate. Hes a hometown boy and I couldn't fault him for it. Losing him was also probably the biggest loss GU has ever had.

webspinnre
01-18-2014, 04:26 PM

Everything I've heard says that he always wanted to play at OU, but they didn't offer him out of HS. I wouldn't say that he was "homesick" but that he always wanted to go home, and when the situation arose as far as playing time here, it made perfect sense. I'm sad we lost him, but it seems like this is what made him happy.

El Zag
01-19-2014, 09:34 AM
Spangler sixth double-double of year helps OU to win
RJ Young
- See more at: http://oklahoma.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1596656# (http://oklahoma.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1596656#sthash.gx4Fca3P.dpuf)sthas h.gx4Fca3P.dpuf (http://oklahoma.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1596656#sthash.gx4Fca3P.dpuf)sthas h.gx4Fca3P.dpuf (http://oklahoma.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1596656#sthash.gx4Fca3P.dpuf)

Spangler finished with 16 points on just 4-of-5 shooting. He also made 8-of-9 free throw attempts. He also had 15 rebounds against # 9 iowa St.

"I thought in the second half Ryan just really took over the game and did some great things offensively," said Oklahoma coach Lon Kruger. "He just rebounded the ball like crazy."

Unbiased
01-19-2014, 07:04 PM
In Spangler's two last games as a Zag, at the tournament in Las Vegas, I sat next to Mr. and Mrs. Spangler. Ryan's father was quite vocal and talkative. He repeated numerous times that he didn't think his son was getting enough playing time.

Zagdawg
01-19-2014, 08:14 PM
He was playing behind a number of very good players........gotta put in the minutes before he earned his time on the floor and he didn't feel he would outplay Dower/Kelly so he moved on. I'll take a player who wants to be here like Kyle over someone who doesn't want to be here.

El Zag
01-20-2014, 02:15 PM
In Spangler's two last games as a Zag, at the tournament in Las Vegas, I sat next to Mr. and Mrs. Spangler. Ryan's father was quite vocal and talkative. He repeated numerous times that he didn't think his son was getting enough playing time.

Against West Virginia(an easy win for us) he played 21 minutes and was the leading rebounder of the game with eight.

Did you see his rebound against Ohio St(a loss) in his last game where he played 2 minutes.

He wanted to be here but they told him to ride the pine either here or someplace else same as KO.
KO stayed and Ryan left.

OK-ZagFan
01-20-2014, 03:22 PM

Against West Virginia(an easy win for us) he played 21 minutes and was the leading rebounder of the game with eight.

Did you see his rebound against Ohio St(a loss) in his last game where he played 2 minutes.

He wanted to be here but they told him to ride the pine either here or someplace else same as KO.
KO stayed and Ryan left.

I think you are correct. I don't think he could understand why he didnt get to much playing time throughout the year than he did, putting up good numbers when he was in. Either way, I know living here in Oklahoma, OU is very glad he is here as Ryan is, from what I am hearing and Gonzaga is carrying on as well, so I think it ended up a win-win for both. I know from the times I have spoken with Ryan, he stays in contact with several of GU players and has never said anything but positive things about his time in Spokane.

El Zag
01-27-2014, 05:48 PM
He could get a big-12 leading 9th double double__game on ESPN now__guess he's out of the first half with 2 fouls 5 reb and 9 points__ if Okie wins it will be their 3rd win over a top ten team.

Zagceo
01-27-2014, 05:59 PM
He could get a big-12 leading 9th double double__game on ESPN now__guess he's out of the first half with 2 fouls 5 reb and 9 points__ if Okie wins it will be their 3rd win over a top ten team.

Ryan had 7 pts 4 reb in the first 4 min of game. What a stud