PDA

View Full Version : Meikle ???

realtydog
01-17-2014, 07:10 AM
I did not see him with the team---was he sick or did he go to Loyola last night by mistake?

jazzdelmar
01-17-2014, 07:20 AM
ill, acc to meehan....funny, with all the run he has not been getting he may as well have.

hooter73
01-17-2014, 07:54 AM
Flu unfortunately but man I hope he does not get left behind in the bigger picture.

LongIslandZagFan
01-17-2014, 07:57 AM
IMHO, it may have benefited him to RS from the get go.

Hopefully this flu bug has run it's course.

jim77
01-17-2014, 08:00 AM
Flu unfortunately but man I hope he does not get left behind in the bigger picture.

Agreed...the kid has great instincts.

zag944
01-17-2014, 08:02 AM
IMHO, it may have benefited him to RS from the get go.

Wonder how much Edwards' mono and Nunez's ineligibility played into this, if at all. Seems like a distant memory now.

realtydog
01-17-2014, 08:16 AM
If Karno comes back--I would like to see him redshirt next year

gonzagafan62
01-17-2014, 08:19 AM
If Karno comes back--I would like to see him redshirt next year

Why wouldn't he come back, and why redshirt? Sure he could get better, but we don't have any bigs that could really take his spot. KW, Ryan Edwards and Luke Miekel? I like Karno out there with KW and then the others on the bench personally.

Mr Vulture
01-17-2014, 08:43 AM
I don't see why Karno won't come back with the depth of the draft this year. He will work this offseason and I think he will take a big step as many bigs do each year. He has flashed his skills more and more as the season has gone on...he just needs to continue to work and gain consistency. I really like the potential in Edwards and think he is going to be a pretty big presence on the floor by the time he is a junior. All he needs to do is work on his strength and agility to really take a step forward.

LongIslandZagFan
01-17-2014, 08:47 AM
Wonder how much Edwards' mono and Nunez's ineligibility played into this, if at all. Seems like a distant memory now.

My guess...they played into it a lot. If Edwards had been healthy, I think there might have been a good chance that Meikle would have redshirted. But who knows. Assuming PK is still here next year, and I suspect he will, I would not be shocked to see either him or Edwards RS.

former1dog
01-17-2014, 08:55 AM
My guess...they played into it a lot. If Edwards had been healthy, I think there might have been a good chance that Meikle would have redshirted. But who knows. Assuming PK is still here next year, and I suspect he will, I would not be shocked to see either him or Edwards RS.

Honestly, and I hate to say this, but I will be shocked if Meikle is on the team next year.

Unfortunately he is destined to be recruited over and transfer out. This despite the fact that I have personally been surprised at how good he is in the very limited time he has been on the court.

jazzdelmar
01-17-2014, 09:01 AM
Honestly, and I hate to say this, but I will be shocked if Meikle is on the team next year.

Unfortunately he is destined to be recruited over and transfer out. This despite the fact that I have personally been surprised at how good he is in the very limited time he has been on the court.

Thatd be awful....I think Ryan and Meikle have more long term potential to get the Zags to the next level (whatever the h+++ that means) than the much talked about AN and GC....

LongIslandZagFan
01-17-2014, 09:01 AM

Based on what I see in the recruiting... not convinced of that. but it is a possibility. I thought the same about Kyle D, but he has been awesome this year.

former1dog
01-17-2014, 09:04 AM
Based on what I see in the recruiting... not convinced of that. but it is a possibility. I thought the same about Kyle D, but he has been awesome this year.

I only hear rumors about recruiting and I keep hearing we're getting Sabonis and possibly another big for next season. Not to mention Wiltjer will be available.

Birddog
01-17-2014, 09:05 AM
Thatd be awful....I think Ryan and Meikle have more long term potential to get the Zags to the next level (whatever the h+++ that means) than the much talked about AN and GC....
You've probably made 50 or more posts beginning with the game thread yesterday and finally you post something I can agree with. +1

jazzdelmar
01-17-2014, 09:07 AM
You've probably made 50 or more posts beginning with the game thread yesterday and finally you post something I can agree with. +1

im here to please, boomer...

cjm720
01-17-2014, 09:08 AM

I bet you're wrong...Zag written all over him. Recruited early when many thought he shouldn't have been...that early love will go a long ways. Who the heck knows though...

former1dog
01-17-2014, 09:08 AM

I'm not going to compare Meikle to Nunez, but I will say that I have been very impressed with Meikle when he's been on the court. I don't understand why he hasn't earned a lot more time. I also don't understand why his redshirt got burned. I'm not criticizing, I'm just saying I don't understand.

Edwards is clearly part of the plan, as evidenced by his extended on the road playing time last night. Its significant to say the least that a true freshman big got minutes in a road game.

jazzdelmar
01-17-2014, 09:09 AM
I bet you're wrong...Zag written all over him. Recruited early when many thought he shouldn't have been...that early love will go a long ways. Who the heck knows though...

didnt gibbs and spangs, et al. have zags written all over them? kids wanna play....cant blame them

former1dog
01-17-2014, 09:09 AM
I bet you're wrong...

We're going to find out, aren't we.

Beers on me if I'm wrong. I'll be celebrating.

jazzdelmar
01-17-2014, 09:11 AM
I'm not going to compare Meikle to Nunez, but I will say that I have been very impressed with Meikle when he's been on the court. I don't understand why he hasn't earned a lot more time. I also don't understand why his redshirt got burned. I'm not criticizing, I'm just saying I don't understand.

Edwards is clearly part of the plan, as evidenced by his extended on the road playing time last night. Its significant to say the least that a true freshman big got minutes in a road game.

edwards played 9 mins, Doggie. hardly extended.....nunez 8, coleman 7, fwiw

cjm720
01-17-2014, 09:14 AM
Gibbs yes, until the tweets about getting no PT. Spangler, not at all...only reason he ever game here was OK didn't offer and GU was the most high profile school that did. He was a great fit, but didn't want to be here long term.

didnt gibbs and spangs, et al. have zags written all over them? kids wanna play....cant blame them

cjm720
01-17-2014, 09:15 AM
Meikle was sick...easy answer.

former1dog
01-17-2014, 09:16 AM
edwards played 9 mins, Doggie. hardly extended.....nunez 8, coleman 7, fwiw

Won't quibble, but think about the significance compared to other freshman bigs in the past even some of the guards (think Pargo, Raivio), especially road games.

NotoriousZ
01-17-2014, 09:22 AM
I really enjoy watching Edwards play, a true diamond in the rough. The Zags' staff hit a home run with this one. Maybe he redshirts if we ever recruit enough bigs, maybe not. Either way, this guy will produce...big time. ;)

former1dog
01-17-2014, 09:32 AM
Meikle was sick...easy answer.

Prior to being sick, Meikle suited up for 17 games. He had 8 DNP's, including several blow out victory's.

Overall, he is averaging 5.5 minutes per game for the games he has played in. The last 3 out of 9 games he's suited for, though, he's average 3 minutes per game with 6 DNP's.

coolhandzag
01-17-2014, 09:37 AM

I agree. I don't like to see players recruited over.

I understand the business aspect of the ball club, but it feels opposed to the family atmosphere sold. I hope this does not happen.

hooter73
01-17-2014, 10:31 AM
as freshmen that have two or three players ahead of them in the rotation, I think asking for any more than 7ish minutes per game is not going to happen. What I like about Edwards and Meikle is their situation. They came in knowing there was a log jamb (KO hadnt declared yet) and them being local kids (in the scheme of things) still makes GU a good fit for them at a big time school. Plus, staying or being here more often than not for summer work is a lot more probable.

jazzdelmar
01-17-2014, 01:38 PM
Won't quibble, but think about the significance compared to other freshman bigs in the past even some of the guards (think Pargo, Raivio), especially road games.

I love Edwards. Just looks like a player willing to learn and play hard. And his free throw shooting is refreshing. If he were the starting center this year, I think he would do well. No Karno yet, certainly no Rob or KO but kid has got skilz.

former1dog
01-17-2014, 01:40 PM
I love Edwards. Just looks like a player willing to learn and play hard. And his free http shooting is refreshing. If he were the starting center this year, I think he would do well. No Karno yet, certainly no Rob or KO but kid has got skilz.

Yeah, I agree. He looks smart, also. He's a below the rim 7 footer, so those smarts are going to do him some good as he figures out how to be savvy on the offensive end of the ball. Great hands. Good feet. AND BIG!

Cush
01-17-2014, 01:45 PM

Thinking big picture, maybe it makes more sense to redshirt one/both next year? Maybe that was the plan all along? There was some need for front court depth this year, whereas next year it might be less of a concern. I'm starting to think it's a big advantage to get some college game experience before you take a redshirt. Game minutes can teach some lessons to take with you into your redshirt development year.

jazzdelmar
01-17-2014, 01:49 PM
I love Edwards. Just looks like a player willing to learn and play hard. And his free throw shooting is refreshing. If he were the starting center this year, I think he would do well. No Karno yet, certainly no Rob or KO but kid has got skilz.

Kinda reminds me some of those highly skilled Big Ten bigs.

former1dog
01-17-2014, 01:53 PM
Thinking big picture, maybe it makes more sense to redshirt one/both next year? Maybe that was the plan all along? There was some need for front court depth this year, whereas next year it might be less of a concern. I'm starting to think it's a big advantage to get some college game experience before you take a redshirt. Game minutes can teach some lessons to take with you into your redshirt development year.

I think Edwards is going to really be needed next year to back up Karno. Doubt he redshirts.

Worthington
01-17-2014, 02:02 PM
I don't understand why he isn't getting more burn. His performance against Arkansas was admirable, but despite being a huge asset in that game it seems like his playing time has decreased since then. He seems like the epitome of a Mark Few player as well. Never seen him force anything or try to do anything outside of his role. Definitely worth a few minutes of hustle his tail off minutes from what I've seen, especially in WCC play where he should match up pretty well.

Oregonzagnut
01-17-2014, 02:41 PM
Without getting into specifics of individuals, this is the most unhealthy team I ever remember.

Baseline
01-17-2014, 03:07 PM
I really like Edwards. He is smart and has skills. He plays good defense, but is struggling a bit with fouls just like Shem did until recently. Its obvious Shem has been schooled by someone, Edwards will learn also. Shem has learn not to swat at the guy but to ply the ball and try to time it to block on the release. When Edwards learns this he will be very good defensive.
About the Dunking thing. Big guys do not develop as fast as other athletes, they are still growing so it takes longer for things to come together. They play ball in high school and don't need to sky to succeed, so it to is a slow developing part of the game. Look at Shem, hardly ever dunked last year, but its a big part of how he plays now. It will be the same for Edwards over time, he needs weight training, coaching, but most important, those kid muscles turning into adult muscles.
There is huge upside on this kid and the nice part is he is motivated and working to improve.

Baseline
01-17-2014, 03:36 PM
Meikle is a real puzzle to me. He has shown early on that he is much more athletic than people thought, plays tougher than his frame would suggest and has very good instincts for the game. On defense he is quite good and is good at challenging without fouling and he seems to be good at rebounding.
On offense he has good timing and movement around the rim and his jump shot looks quite good. The big thing with him is he has a real feel for the game and does not force things.
AN is more athletic and should be a better player, but at this point I would be playing Meikle over AN as he isn't flashy, but look at the stats when its over.
Not sure what is holding him back in Few's eyes, maybe he doesn't practice well. This kid is a lunch Pale type kid, hope he doesn't get lost in the mix.

ZAGLAWQB
01-17-2014, 03:38 PM
1) Would hope Edwards uses "fouls" every time he plays...2 on the offensive end going for rebounds;
hope he practices blocking shots at rim level opposed to at shooters release in order to cut down on fouls and increase his "arms up" timing and overall defense; hope he will transition into offensive sets away from ball in order to move to ball and score all in one move; hope he will drop step both ways as his hands are (and have been since high school jr year) very good going left or right; and finally, you will hear my cheers the day he steps out to 15', faces up with squared shoulders and drops the soft tip toed jumper.....just the start things to look forward to with Ryan.

hooter73
01-18-2014, 07:50 AM
I havent seen Edwards have "bad" or "dumb" fouls very often, just the opposite actually. Against Pepperdine all his fouls were to stop an easy basket. Yes he probably got beat because of positioning but when it looked like a sure thing dunk or lay in, Ryan fouled "correctly" and stopped the easy bucket to make them earn it at the line. So yes, his speed and positioning isnt there yet but what I see is a player who is smart enough to know that.

amaronizag
01-18-2014, 08:11 AM
"1) Would hope Edwards uses "fouls" every time he plays...2) on the offensive end going for rebounds; hope he practices blocking shots at rim level opposed to at shooters release in order to cut down on fouls and increase his "arms up" timing and overall defense; hope he will transition into offensive sets away from ball in order to move to ball and score all in one move; hope he will drop step both ways as his hands are (and have been since high school jr year) very good going left or right; and finally, you will hear my cheers the day he steps out to 15', faces up with squared shoulders and drops the soft tip toed jumper.....just the start things to look forward to with Ryan."

I agree with ZAGLAWQB on all of the above. Edwards showed what he was capable of in the Simon Frasier game when he went 6-7 from the field. He was (and continues to be) solid in the middle, makes his free throws, plays good D, and uses his fouls wisely (for the most part) to defend the basket. In the Simon Frasier game he went to the right and the left with equal skill, has great balance, and plays with intelligence and composure. I certainly hope he never sees a red shirt year, we really need him to back up Karno. Who knows what big's will sign in the future? I think Ryan will prove to be a scoring machine in the paint and a great Zag, unless he leaves GU to get more playing time.