PDA

View Full Version : OT- Mariners Broadcasts

sittingon50
08-27-2007, 06:23 PM
Can someone please put Dave Niehaus on the Soylent Green donor's list?!*&^%$

Only took him to the 2nd batter of the Angels game tonight to utterly screw things up. It's been way past the point for him to leave gracefully, but they need to pull the plug on this guy. Rant.

wazZag
08-27-2007, 06:53 PM
Word. I actually like Blowers and the other new guy whose name I'm at a loss for right now. It's really sad to see Dave continue like this, what a great career he's had. Hopefully he'll call it good after this year.

freezer12
08-27-2007, 11:00 PM
The guy's name is Dave Simms.

JLGutrocks
08-27-2007, 11:26 PM
There is still, to this day, no one who can break out the Rye Bread and mustard , Grandma, for a grand Salami, like Dave.

Give him a break. Harry Carey wasn't revered for his skills, but was for his ability to entertain a crowd. Niehaus with Rizz is a legendary pairing and I'll take it any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

JMO

JL

LongIslandZagFan
08-28-2007, 05:46 AM
Mets had Bob Murphy for years, God rest his soul. Bob sounded like he was drunk half the time... but you loved him anyhow. At some point you disregard the mistakes and accept him as the sound you are used to hearing when watching the game.

I like having Gary Cohen, Keith Hernandez and Ron Darling... but I still miss Bob and his mushy mouthed and missed calls.

Zagpower
08-28-2007, 06:34 AM
Once the M's got rid of Ron Fairly, I promised never to complain about their broadcasts again. They are sooooo much better now.

webspinnre
08-28-2007, 07:04 AM
I love Niehaus having grown up listening to him, but at some point you have to start feeling bad for the guy and not want him to be embarassed like this. We certainly shouldn't kick him out, but I'd like to see him gracefully bow out at some point.

thickman1
08-28-2007, 07:28 AM
There is still, to this day, no one who can break out the Rye Bread and mustard , Grandma, for a grand Salami, like Dave.

Give him a break. Harry Carey wasn't revered for his skills, but was for his ability to entertain a crowd. Niehaus with Rizz is a legendary pairing and I'll take it any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

JMO

JL

Well said Gutrocks. When I was young I'd fall asleep listening to Dave on the radio. This was back in the mid-80's through early 90's when they mariners really stunk too. You couldn't watch many games on TV so radio was the way to go. I now live in Wisconsin and have satellite radio to listen to the broadcasts. There is something special about Dave and Rick when they call games. I guess it brings me back to my childhood when life was simple. If the M's ever kick Dave out of the booth I'll be done with the Mariners.

Zag79
08-28-2007, 09:41 PM
dave is as much of the mariners as jr or edgar. he makes mistakes but still sounds better and is more exciting to listen to than anyone else IMO!

SWZag
08-29-2007, 07:56 AM
Dave and Rick Rizzs are the best in the business, hands down. Yes, Dave is getting on in years and it shows, but he's still leaps ahead of others around the league. I'm not impressed with Dave Sims at all. We have been lucky to have such great announcers for so many years. Has anyone ever listened to other teams games? It's like driving a Yugo when in your garage you have a Bentley. Dave is the greatest.

Kevin Calabro is another one of the greats. The NW has been lucky!

JLGutrocks
08-29-2007, 08:21 AM
Kevin Calabro is another one of the greats. The NW has been lucky!

I second that.

JL

sittingon50
08-29-2007, 12:56 PM
Vin Scully.

It is not even close. And Vin is much older.

I understand people coming to Dave's defense, but what he was & what he is are not the same. "BELTED TO LEFT" on a grounder to 3rd just doesn't cut it.

dim4sum
08-29-2007, 03:20 PM
The Mariner announcers all speak in a boring, hypnotic drone. I fell asleep in the third inning and didn't wake up until the seventh. Compared to these guys,that dreary pontificator Ron Fairly is a live wire, who at least knows how to make a cliche sound like something profound.