PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga will win it's first National Championship in ____ years.

gozagswoohoo
01-13-2014, 09:26 AM
There's been lots of unrest on the boards lately, lots of good discussion (and arguments, haha), so I'm really kinda curious where everyone stands on this.

primal23
01-13-2014, 09:42 AM
Had to go with never... but I'm a glass half empty type...

ZagMan in Philly
01-13-2014, 09:54 AM
I am very very very excited for next season!!!
Go Zags!

gozagswoohoo
01-13-2014, 10:00 AM
Go Zags!

Even though I didn't select the "Next few seasons" option, I will say....next season has the best shot (by far) since Ammo's junior year. CAN. NOT. WAIT.

dnj116
01-13-2014, 10:05 AM
Even though I didn't select the "Next few seasons" option, I will say....next season has the best shot (by far) since Ammo's junior year. CAN. NOT. WAIT.

I would say last season presented the best bite at the ol apple. That bracket, and most importantly, our team, provided us the best shot to take the NC that we will see in some time. For me, thats why the loss to Wichita stung much harder than any I can remember (and also due to the unhealthy amounts of alcohol I consumed right after.....)

jazzdelmar
01-13-2014, 10:11 AM
A think reaching a Final Four would have been a better poll.....and produced a far more positive response.

Vanzagger
01-13-2014, 10:12 AM
Let's not fire up the "next season" mantra again. I will go with "this".

No excuses

CdAZagFan
01-13-2014, 10:23 AM
I would say last season presented the best bite at the ol apple. That bracket, and most importantly, our team, provided us the best shot to take the NC that we will see in some time.

Totally agree with this. Last season's team plus a No. 1 seed plus some of the higher seeds in their bracket losing before they did - set it up for a perfect opportunity. That being said, it's hard to say never, so I had to go with 20+ years - who knows which conference they will be in by then. They may be recruiting 4 and 5 star players by then!

ZagMan in Philly
01-13-2014, 10:41 AM
Had to go with never... but I'm a glass half empty type...

I am quite surprised by the number of people chose never so far. What the heck, Butler went to the Final 4 back to back and almost beat a blue blood factory school for the title.
It could be done with some luck and a couple of potential NBA players on the team.

gonzagafan62
01-13-2014, 10:52 AM
I am quite surprised by the number of people chose never so far. What the heck, Butler went to the Final 4 back to back and almost beat a blue blood factory school for the title.
It could be done with some luck and a couple of potential NBA players on the team.

^^^^

This. Someone is going to break the streak of consecutive years with a power conference winning the title. Why not us?

gozagswoohoo
01-13-2014, 11:01 AM
^^^^

This. Someone is going to break the streak of consecutive years with a power conference winning the title. Why not us?

EXACTLY!

And dnj116, good point actually....you're probably right.

DixieZag
01-13-2014, 11:06 AM
One of these years, by sheer numbers, we're going to go 15 of 19 from 3 and win a few upsets.

Ironic that I feel it is just as likely to happen when we come out of the 6th seed gate as the third.

Last year was our best chance so far. I am not giving up on this year - but when we have GBJ - KP as seniors, Karno as 3rd year, Nunez/Coleman as returners, KW down under and Perkins. . .we otta be all right.

hegotit!
01-13-2014, 11:53 AM
I also think it should of been final four, since we have never made it that far...that being said don't think it will be in the next few seasons and may never happen under Few. So most likely in the next 10-20 years is my vote!

cggonzaga
01-13-2014, 11:57 AM
Go Zags!

Couldn't agree more. I've been saying this since the end of last season. 2014-2015 should be our year!

ZagaZags
01-13-2014, 12:00 PM
A think reaching a Final Four would have been a better poll.....and produced a far more positive response.
+1

MDABE80
01-13-2014, 12:01 PM
FF in 3-4 years.

Ekrub
01-13-2014, 12:07 PM
Last years team had the best shot. Next years team will rival that opportunity.

Ekrub
01-13-2014, 12:13 PM
That said, this team has a chance to make the FF if they can get hot during the tourney. Unlikely as I haven't really seen us get hot from three on the road/ at a neutral site, but this team definitely has a ton of talent on it. Won't put it passed them.

kyle dixon
01-13-2014, 12:23 PM
I doubt it ever happens. Butler stole the Zags thunder with two consecutive NCAA Finals. For this, I will be jealous of the Bulldogs from Indy.

Zagceo
01-13-2014, 12:29 PM
I doubt it ever happens. Butler stole the Zags thunder with two consecutive NCAA Finals. For this, I will be jealous of the Bulldogs from Indy.

Yep!

Here is a question.....Would you trade Butlers record for GU record for the past 10 years?

I was in PHX March 20,1999 and I will never forget that feeling of almost making it to Tampa.

ZagLawGrad
01-13-2014, 12:29 PM
Last year was the best chance to have done it, and the Zags dropped the ball big time. Unlikely to ever get a #1 team again in my lifetime. (age 54)

ZagaZags
01-13-2014, 12:32 PM
I guess it depends on how recruiting goes for GU in the next 3-10 years. Heck, I would be happy getting to the elite 8 again.

gozagswoohoo
01-13-2014, 12:46 PM
We talk about the FF often. Pretty sure I have started 2-3 polls regarding FF or a "Which one will we make in the next few seasons- S16, E8, FF, NC", etc. I was curious about one thing. How likely do zags fans think we can win a National Championship. Hence...my poll.

And I agree with a few that have said it's interesting that so many think we will never win one.

BULLDOG#1
01-13-2014, 12:57 PM
Last year was the best chance to have done it, and the Zags dropped the ball big time. Unlikely to ever get a #1 team again in my lifetime. (age 54)

I agree. After last year, there were a lot of 'i told you so' members of the press out there. An undeafeated zag team might not even get a #1 in the future.

It's an exteme longshot for the zags to ever win a national championship.

Get to the tourney, get hot, win six neutral site games against progressively tougher opponents... It's possible, but highly unlikely.
Butler came oh-so-close, and NC State with jimmy-v's run did it, and Villinova was an 8 seed and did it... so, it CAN be done, but not likely.

I do think the zags will catch a break in the next decade and hit a final four. The program is too good and too consistant -- sooner or later there's going to be a lucky bounce or favorable draw (or ???) go their way and they'll hit a final four. It could even be THIS year. This team is up and down, for sure, but with the shooters they have, they could take down anyone (or lose to Portland). There's a certain level of consistency with all of Few's teams, though some are better than others (witness last year). Some day they WILL break through to another EE or even FF. I just think a NC is probably beyond the program's reach.

TheGonzagaFactor
01-13-2014, 12:58 PM
We will win it all when we do make a FF. I think it will happen in the next 3 years, with this season being the first. I don't think we will do it as a top-2 seed.

gonzagafan62
01-13-2014, 12:59 PM
We talk about the FF often. Pretty sure I have started 2-3 polls regarding FF or a "Which one will we make in the next few seasons- S16, E8, FF, NC", etc. I was curious about one thing. How likely do zags fans think we can win a National Championship. Hence...my poll.

And I agree with a few that have said it's interesting that so many think we will never win one.

I think first and foremost on everyones mind is just making a Final Four. I don't even think about the title, I think Final Four, but why not us?

Hoopaholic
01-13-2014, 01:00 PM
count me in the category of the "next few years" based upon:

improved recruiting that has been demonstrated over the last few years
Pieces of the long term puzzle seems to be fitting in as it pertains to getting all 5 key slots on the court with quality players
Depth has increased for the zags over the last 3 years and appears to be on the rise over next few years
parity within college basketball seems to be peaking with many "studs" departing after one year making it wide open each year
I go to church every sunday and say my prayers faithfully and at some point I fully believe my prayers will be answered

gamagin
01-13-2014, 01:08 PM
--- 1st add & correct -- increasing unhappiness and percentages --

THIS is priceless information. Time to take (even more) action, imo.

• Those 20% (EDITED TO update this to 50% --- HALF FERKRISSAKES! ! !) who say NEVER: kick them off the board. What's the point ? they are hopeless.
• 10-20 years: GOOO BYE ! let em back in 10-20 when they can once again consider dreaming. there must be somewhere else one can go for treatment of withdrawal.
• 5-10 years: same thing, Call it a volunatary/mandatory vacation, let em back when their time capsule is reopened. When they can look forward to better, brighter days renewed & full of hope again that the class of 2019-2024 (today's 3rd to 8th graders) will somehow save us from this state of perpetual purgatory.

• & ADDING[/B] - those who refer to Hitler or +1 Der Fuehrher -- Off to stalag 17 until they find a better analysis -- like, say Ike.

• ** special dispensation for Zippy, who admitted he could change as soon as next week despite voting Never

--

The deadbeat 20 x x x 50 per centers, predictably, are hopeless. It's time to ring this bell. The fight is over for them. Few isn't leaving. So, instead of 80 % x x x 50 % of us being forced to watch them tear their last hair and gnash their tooth (sic), I say bid them adieu.

They have all signed up for this many times. And now, with this final, exit poll, their names are right there for the Mods (alone) to look at and send packing.

Let them fight for seats on the short bus ride to somewhere else. Or, in German: Scheiße essen und sterben

While most of us discuss how we can win this year, or deal drama free with a loss, while this year's team grows steadily into a real power, perhaps better than ever. It really is possible with 8-10 ready, willing and able to come in and go for it.

cbbfanatic
01-13-2014, 01:49 PM
THIS is priceless information. Time to take action, imo.

• Those 20% who say never: kick them off the board. What's the point ? they are hopeless.
• 10-20 years: GOOO BYE ! let em back in 10-20 when they can once again consider dreaming. there must be somewhere else one can go for treatment of withdrawal.
• 5-10 years: same thing, let em back when their time capsule is reopened. they can look forward to better days renewed & full of hope again.
--

The deadbeat 20 per centers, predictably, are hopeless. It's time to ring this bell. The fight is over for them. Few isn't leaving. So, instead of 80 % of us being forced to watch them tear their last hair and gnash their tooth (sic), I say bid them adieu.

They have all signed up for this many times. And now, with this final, exit poll, their names are right there for the Mods (alone) to look at and send packing.

Let them fight for seats on the short bus ride to somewhere else.

While most of us discuss how we can win this year, or deal drama free with a loss, while this year's team grows steadily into a real power, perhaps better than ever. It really is possible with 8-10 ready, willing and able to come in and go for it.

yeah, because everyone that thinks a title is unrealistic to the point where they dont expect one is a bad fan and should be banished? do you even read what you type?

LongIslandZagFan
01-13-2014, 01:50 PM
I went 5-10... because I am thinking about luck and averages. The talent is there for next year... now just need the luck.

bartruff1
01-13-2014, 01:58 PM
Well, if you are in the Tourney you have a chance and Few might be here for another 5-7 years so they will likely have a Few more chances but I don't expect it...

cjm720
01-13-2014, 02:02 PM
I voted for the next few years. We're close, no doubt about it in mind...of course, I believe that most years there are 5-15 teams that have a shot (and 6-10 of those teams are the same every year).

BULLDOG#1
01-13-2014, 02:08 PM
THIS is priceless information. Time to take action, imo.

• Those 20% who say never: kick them off the board. What's the point ? they are hopeless.
• 5-10 years: same thing, let em back when their time capsule is reopened. they can look forward to better days renewed & full of hope again.
--

The deadbeat 20 per centers, predictably, are hopeless. It's time to ring this bell. The fight is over for them. Few isn't leaving. So, instead of 80 % of us being forced to watch them tear their last hair and gnash their tooth (sic), I say bid them adieu.

Let them fight for seats on the short bus ride to somewhere else.

Admitting what should seem obvious to all of us doesn't make me less of a fan. Sure, there's a chance of a NC.
But lets face it: the zags aren't Mich state, Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, etc... and never will be. Jabari Parker, Andrew Wiggins, etc aren't going to come to GU.

Few and GU are incredible for doing what they do and that will keep me a fan.

gonzagafan62
01-13-2014, 02:17 PM
Admitting what should seem obvious to all of us doesn't make me less of a fan. Sure, there's a chance of a NC.
But lets face it: the zags aren't Mich state, Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky, etc... and never will be. Jabari Parker, Andrew Wiggins, etc aren't going to come to GU.

Few and GU are incredible for doing what they do and that will keep me a fan.

+!

primal23
01-13-2014, 02:18 PM
WOW this is just... WOW, so if everyone doesn't have YOUR view they should be booted?

Zags11
01-13-2014, 02:19 PM
Ahh, gam at it again. Lol.

HOOTER
01-13-2014, 02:30 PM

Man I hope you're joking. I really hate it when people try to silence those with whom they disagree. Very sad. I'm just glad you're not some powerful world leader because we would probably have the next Hitler on our hands.

gozagswoohoo
01-13-2014, 02:33 PM
If you guys get my perfectly harmless thread locked, I'm sending Francis to your homes!

And I can't promise what he will or won't do, but I will or won't say that you may or may not like what he does or doesn't do!

primal23
01-13-2014, 02:34 PM
Man I hope you're joking. I really hate it when people try to silence those with whom they disagree. Very sad. I'm just glad you're not some powerful world leader because we would probably have the next Hitler on our hands.

+1

OZZY
01-13-2014, 02:48 PM
I voted the next few years, and believe that if the backcourt's health (KP's toe and GBJ generally) is close to 100% we might have a chance next year. This is because they will have very capable guards able to spell them off next year (Dranginis, Coleman, Perkins and Melson). If they don't have to average 35+ minutes per game they could be fresh for the run through the WCC tournament and the Dance.

After KP and GBJ's graduation the guard group will be exciting, but the depth of bigs are less of a known quantity. Lets see how we go with Sabonis/French Big as the power forward position is a little hazy three years from now.

Zippyzaggy
01-13-2014, 03:03 PM
Damn Gam... I voted never, not like I never want the Zags to win one... but maybe this poll should not have been started so soon after PORTLAND spanked us, it still seems surreal. It's just hard to feel very optimistic right now.

Ask this question at a better time. I'll change my mind when we pull out of this injury and illness funk and get hot again. Which I feel will be this year. Not never.

Bocco
01-13-2014, 03:41 PM
I voted for In the next few seasons, it might not happen and probably won't happen, but if this poll question came up every year I would always vote for In the next few seasons.

The one choice I could not, would not ever make would be They will never win a National Championship because if I did so it would mean that I had given up any hope that it might ever happen, and that will never happen.

Baseline
01-13-2014, 03:44 PM
In the year 2525.

MDABE80
01-13-2014, 04:02 PM
I voted 1-3 years for a FF based on the welath of talent. As I've always said, we're one athletic 6 9 kid away. I'm trusting Few or one of the others will find that guy. WE ARE FLUSH with 1-3 position...........one big and we're in......of course luck matters.:) I'm an optimist today!

kitzbuel
01-13-2014, 04:07 PM
I went with the odds in my choice and chose never. It is doggone near impossible to do. Look at all those freakin' Lou Henson and Bill Self Illini teams that made the late NCAA rounds - zero national championships.

Phi Slamma Jamma - zero national championships.

For every Butler there is a decade of Illini.

I hope and pray we defy the odds, but I wouldn't bet on it.

bartruff1
01-13-2014, 04:39 PM
I went with the odds in my choice and chose never. It is doggone near impossible to do. Look at all those freakin' Lou Henson and Bill Self Illini teams that made the late NCAA rounds - zero national championships.

Phi Slamma Jamma - zero national championships.

For every Butler there is a decade of Illini.

I hope and pray we defy the odds, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Exactly, typically the Mid Majors can burn bright for a year or so like Seattle University or the Dons with a Russell or a Baylor and have remarkable success but then they fade away just like Butler is doing.... and yet...Gonzaga is still in the conversation after 15 years..

gamagin
01-13-2014, 04:53 PM
I'd like to hear from the stats guys (like Cad, to name one) and gals who can answer this: do the odds of a NC go up or down if you make it to the NCAA 15 years in a row. Should we continue gathering kindling instead of sawing wood ?

Does winning it all become more of a possibility or less, given the history & knowing full well there's a bell curve for just about everyone and everything ? Or not. And why ?

Tnx

Blackbeard
01-13-2014, 06:05 PM
A lot of rosy colored glasses on here. Zags will never win and below is why:
1) Few. Need to get rid of him to be a high caliber team.
2) Recruits. The one and dones will always beat up the Zags. The zags will never have the top recruiting class coming from a mid major and coming from the west coast.
3) NBA. NBA entry rules will need to be changed so high school players can jump right into the NBA. If this changes, this will null 2) but we are still stuck with Few.

ZagLawGrad
01-13-2014, 06:15 PM
Gam---I know deep down you really do like me. :pray:

DixieZag
01-13-2014, 06:27 PM
2) Recruits. The one and dones will always beat up the Zags. The zags will never have the top recruiting class coming from a mid major and coming from the west coast.
3) NBA. NBA entry rules will need to be changed so high school players can jump right into the NBA. If this changes, this will null 2) but we are still stuck with Few.

Never?

Need to get rid of Few to be a high caliber team?

One and dones always beat up the Zags?

Even if the NBA allows the Wiggins to go straight in - Few will nullify all of this?

Other than some of mine - this is quite possibly the silliest post on here. I think Few has issues, I think our recruiting is challenged, and such - but to win the tourney you have to be in the tourney and Few and his recruits are kind clever in how they do that every year.

gamagin
01-13-2014, 07:05 PM
+1

Jazz, light ?

Hoopaholic
01-13-2014, 08:03 PM
I'd like to hear from the stats guys (like Cad, to name one) and gals who can answer this: do the odds of a NC go up or down if you make it to the NCAA 15 years in a row. Should we continue gathering kindling instead of sawing wood ?

Does winning it all become more of a possibility or less, given the history & knowing full well there's a bell curve for just about everyone and everything ? Or not. And why ?

Tnx

Oh wise one, I send you to seek your answer deep in the lockerrooms of Portland where the laws of average will clearly provide your answer

bartruff1
01-13-2014, 08:06 PM
+1

Jazz, light ?

Blackbeard is going for the gold...he is on a mission and will say whatever it takes..

SteelZag
01-13-2014, 09:10 PM
I voted 1-3 years for a FF based on the welath of talent. As I've always said, we're one athletic 6 9 kid away. I'm trusting Few or one of the others will find that guy. WE ARE FLUSH with 1-3 position...........one big and we're in......of course luck matters.:) I'm an optimist today!

I feel we could use a couple of the players you suggest so they could scrimmage each other. Michigan State has 4 players Dower's size.

Or staff could develop a plan B when A isn't working.

Being the optimist that I am I chose in the next few seasons also.

ZagaZags
01-13-2014, 09:58 PM
I asked my son's Magic 8-Ball if GU would win a championship. The response was " Ask again later " I will ask again later and let everyone know tomorrow if we win the championship. If my Magic 8-Ball says " no " I will ban it from my home and smash it in the street.

Oregonzagnut
01-13-2014, 10:21 PM
There are really only 3 ways to look at this. First, you have faith in Mark Few and the players in the program. Second you have little faith in the program or are just looking at the plain odds. Third option is you are predicting zilch to try and use reverse psychology on destiny. Luckily I see most of us here (about 75%) have faith in our program OR are trying reverse doomsday psychology.

I choose faith in Mark Few and the next few seasons. Seriously. The way I see it, Few is learning how to maximize potential while never making huge mistakes or totally destroying chemistry or confidence that could collapse the program back to mediocrity. He is wisely evolving his coaching philosophy along with his precision play book engineering. But most of all he is maintaining a win% that will continue to attract better athletes with higher levels of skill. All this without taking short cuts, selling out, cheating or quitting.

AND ABOVE ALL, he is doing it his way, AND he has already astronomically beat the odds for any mid-major to have come this far and not collapse back into mediocrity. If Few can beat those odds like he has, and continues to do, then I will NEVER count him out on getting one of the next few teams to that next level of skill, chemistry and athleticism.

Make a chart of any statistic or trend that implies a program is on the rise and you will see that Mark Few is still in upward trends on most key indicators. Even though his post season trend line is flat-lined at least is is still there. It will turn up and in 20 years, I see a program that has 5-6 FFs and an NC game or two.

I agree with Mark Few to a point that it is a crap shoot. But only in the Sweet 16 and beyond. The best all around teams usually get to the sweet 16. If it is a crap shoot then why do the vast majority of E8 teams come from power conferences. It is not a crap shoot. A lucky crap shoot or even instances of pure reckless abandon rarely allows teams like George Mason, FGCU, Wichita St or Butler to get past the E8.

But we will get there. Have Faith.

ZagaZags
01-13-2014, 10:33 PM
I think fans should bet $100.00 for GU to win the championship each season. Odds range from 30-1 to 100-1. Bet every season and you should get your money back. ( Plus extra )

SwainZag
01-14-2014, 11:47 AM
I chose 5-10 years and used the same sentiment that LongIslandZagFan chose. The talent will be there, but will the luck?

At some point it has to be. I hate saying the Zags are "unlucky" but it's pretty rare come March for a ball to bounce their way. At some point it has to come together. Whether it be shooting woes from star players, avoiding early foul trouble, unfortunate seeding and placement, or simply stopping someone from shooting unconscious against them (which happens far too often). I have to believe it will eventually happen.

bartruff1
01-14-2014, 11:49 AM
I think fans should bet $100.00 for GU to win the championship each season. Odds range from 30-1 to 100-1. Bet every season and you should get your money back. ( Plus extra )

The fans at Northwestern went broke doing that..

Zagceo
01-14-2014, 11:52 AM
Every year I have to admit it hurts less and less. My expectations are actually going down.

Its like ground hog day except its March Madness and I'm Bill Murray.

I enjoy the moment and just would like to attend one Final Four in my lifetime, but I don't get angry or mad when we get booted from tourney I just run my car into a train and wake up to face another NCAA tournament! ; )

Zaga
01-14-2014, 12:32 PM
Every year I have to admit it hurts less and less. My expectations are actually going down.

Its like ground hog day except its March Madness and I'm Bill Murray.

I enjoy the moment and just would like to attend one Final Four in my lifetime, but I don't get angry or mad when we get booted from tourney I just run my car into a train and wake up to face another NCAA tournament! ; )

+1. I just would like to see the team adjust a little quicker in any given game which I believe is Few's cross to bare. Great coach, great team. I would rather lose with our team than win with a team of individuals. I believe this team can achieve elite things. Need Adam to raise the intensity. If we are going down "Let's go down swinging" Swing away Zags! Swing away!

Vanzagger
01-14-2014, 03:54 PM
I booked my ticket to Texas a couple months ago. Step up and believe. At least maybe pressure the coach to. Remember when Mike Holgren's wife missed the Super Bowl? It is a great thing she is trying to save the world but how about a little faith in your husband's mission.

cjm720
01-14-2014, 04:01 PM
Lute Olsen had to cancel a vacation when Arizona won it all back in 1997. He said he didn't think he had a shot or something like that...(a great game btw).

Vanzagger
01-14-2014, 04:05 PM
that Arizona team made me some $. Seems like they were a 3 seed?

titopoet
01-15-2014, 09:52 AM
Hey, you got to believe, especially since it does not cost fans anything. THIS YEAR as we get healthy and go under the radar.

kclubfounder
01-15-2014, 07:24 PM
52% say never?

Never is a really long time - a really, really long time.

If you put a monkey in front of a typewriter and gave him an infinite amount of time, eventually he will type the complete works of Shakespeare.

I have a hard time believing never is going to be the correct answer.

ZagaZags
01-15-2014, 07:54 PM
Magic 8-Ball has been smashed into 76 pieces in the street. My younger son saw it, now I'm off to Toys R Us to get another one. ( Maybe this one will say yes to championship ) ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFOracFClBg

RenoZag
01-15-2014, 08:02 PM
I'm still blown away that jazz was disappointed the poll as worded wouldn't have as many positive results than had it been worded the way he suggested.

When has 'delmar ever cared about positive results on anything ?

I joined kitz in the "never" crowd for the same reasons he offered. Feel free to send me your leftover ashes and sack cloth. . .doesn't mean I don't love the alma mater and the team any less than you who believe GU will get there one day.

kclubfounder: If you put a monkey in front of a typewriter and gave him an infinite amount of time eventually he will type the complete works of Dons Central.

Reborn
01-15-2014, 08:50 PM
I voted for next 5-10 years. I think we'll make a final before before that. I'm hope for that in the next 3 years. I am still hoping for a deep run this year. WE just might get healthy.

gozagswoohoo
01-15-2014, 09:36 PM
Could you imagine if the zags DID win a National Championship? The talking heads would implode all over themselves.

Oregonzagnut
01-15-2014, 09:49 PM
Could you imagine if the zags DID win a National Championship? The talking heads would implode all over themselves.

Ater all this suspense and build up, I would probably not be as explosively and weepingly happy as I was after our win over Florida in the Sweet 16. I have never jumped for joy longer and more loudly so as to worry the neighbor next door.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdXeWvucvH8

DixieZag
01-15-2014, 11:45 PM
I'm still blown away that jazz was disappointed the poll as worded wouldn't have as many positive results than had it been worded the way he suggested.

When has 'delmar ever cared about positive results on anything ?

I joined kitz in the "never" crowd for the same reasons he offered. Feel free to send me your leftover ashes and sack cloth. . .doesn't mean I don't love the alma mater and the team any less than you who believe GU will get there one day.

If you put a monkey in front of a typewriter and gave him an infinite amount of time eventually he will type the complete works of Dons Central.

I believe the saying you're looking for is that the monkeys will type out Shakespeare and I think what you meant is spend ten minutes at Don's Central and you'll become a monkey.

I'm kidding, I laughed my asp off at your post, genius. Not kidding about Don's central and monkeys, it is banana colored. . .

Bocco
01-16-2014, 06:53 AM
: If you put a monkey in front of a typewriter and gave him an infinite amount of time eventually he will type the complete works of Dons Central.

Monkey wouldn't need an infinite amount of time......5 minutes ought to suffice.

loscontigos79
01-16-2014, 07:30 AM
we rarely have NBA-ready players, mostly NBA projects. I'm glad to have bigs make it in the NBA but most of them aren't reaching their potential until years after they leave GU. These other "cinderellas" have proved that you don't have to be a bcs or whatnot but most of them have had great shooting and lockdown d. Fews' teams are capable of great shooting, but I don't recall him ever having even a decent team defense.

cjm720
01-16-2014, 07:33 AM
The numbers certainly are not on our side as a mid-major. I love the hope that we, Gonzaga, will be the first mid-major to win the Championship in the modern era. Why not? We've defied odds to date with the program's overall success. A couple bounces here, a decent seed there, and a lot of hard work and I think it's possible.

Zaga
01-16-2014, 08:33 AM
Ater all this suspense and build up, I would probably not be as explosively and weepingly happy as I was after our win over Florida in the Sweet 16. I have never jumped for joy longer and more loudly so as to worry the neighbor next door.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdXeWvucvH8

What a ride that was! A great moment for the Zag fan.

cbbfanatic
01-16-2014, 09:50 AM

i have to believe that the vast majority of the sports media would be all over it in a positive way if gu won it all. media darling climbing all the way to the top? yeah, they'd eat it up.

i think the typing heads here might explode, some for different reasons than others

ValencyLovesZagsInAtlanta
01-16-2014, 11:18 AM
Arizona will be a HEAVY favorite to win it all next year. If Aaron Gordon leaves they still have Craig Victor and Stanley Johnson (leading candidate for Gatorade National Player of the Year) coming in for the class of 2014. Zona will be absolutely stacked beyond belief in 2014-15. This year I think they fall short of a National Championship. Zags had a tremendous opportunity last year to get to the Final4. They would have lost to Louisville IMO but everything was aligned for the run. IMO the coaching against WSU was your standard below average performance come tourney time by MF. It is all relative though as the fan base here has always had modest expectations with the exception of a few.

Our team next year personnel wise will be deep and VERY experienced barring unforeseen injuries which appear to be common place with guys like GB. The most important thing to remember is Stockton will be moving on to greener pastures. :) The kid really puts out great effort. Good luck David!

I have a lot to say about next years team. The talent is there. The experience is there. The players work ethic is there. Addition by subtraction is there. The west coast next year will have 2 absolute goliath's with both contending for #1 seeds. I think Zona wins it all next year and the Zags break through to uncharted territory FINALLY. Kevin Pangos will be on a mission.

Looking forward to watching the improvement of KW. He should help.

Later everyone. Miss ya all a lot. :)

maynard g krebs
01-16-2014, 11:58 AM
i have to believe that the vast majority of the sports media would be all over it in a positive way if gu won it all. media darling climbing all the way to the top? yeah, they'd eat it up.

i think the typing heads here might explode, some for different reasons than others

Media darling? Really? A dozen years ago, sure, but mostly bashing by the media more recently imo. Media works for Big Entertainment, which in college sports means BCS, and cute little Gonzaga has overstayed its welcome at the big boys' table; hence the talking heads don't seem too kind any more, with a couple of exceptions.

Remember their field day about 10 months ago?

Zagceo
01-16-2014, 12:08 PM
Media darling? Really? A dozen years ago, sure, but mostly bashing by the media more recently imo. Media works for Big Entertainment, which in college sports means BCS, and cute little Gonzaga has overstayed its welcome at the big boys' table; hence the talking heads don't seem too kind any more, with a couple of exceptions.

Remember their field day about 10 months ago?

I don't care one bit what the media think or say!

maynard g krebs
01-16-2014, 01:00 PM
I don't care one bit what the media think or say!

Don't much care either; just responding to the guy who said Zags are a "media darling". Duke is a media darling, for 1 example.

HOOTER
01-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Don't much care either; just responding to the guy who said Zags are a "media darling". Duke is a media darling, for 1 example.

Agreed. The media has their permanent darlings (like Duke) and they throw a no name Cinderella in there every now and then to keep things interesting. The Zags were that team many years ago, but now I think the media overall could take or leave them at this point. I think one of the things they like about Gonzaga's ability to make the tourney every year is that it gives them a chance to be consistently right when predicting their early loss. I'm not sure how happy they'd be if the Zags actually won it all.

WBM
01-16-2014, 01:51 PM
At least we have Andy Katz on our side.

TravelinZag
01-16-2014, 02:13 PM
Interesting to me that poll respondents (three-quarters) answer "now or never." Not now like this season, but now as in with the players now here or currently being recruited; as in during the Few era. How long that lasts and what happens after that gets murky. Agree FF is a better poll question, and a better prerequisite for coaching "greatness". The last two games have such a huge component of luck. But a program or coach who reaches FF a couple of times is definitely one to be recognized. Hope and root each year for the Zags to reach the FF; that is a great achievement. And once there, with a little luck, who knows?