PDA

View Full Version : Looking ahead: Changes?

DixieZag
01-10-2014, 12:34 AM
I was never convinced we were as good as some thought through the first four home wins. And, I don't think we're as bad as this one loss might indicate.

But, we are vulnerable.

Halfway through the year - which changes would you like to see? Not just starting lineups but over all.

I want to see a renewed emphasis on defense. Teams will score more in their home arenas and we'll score less. Just is. So, let's respond with a much bigger commitment to defense and rebounding. We have the team to do it. Nunez should get challenged to be Shem junior underneath, he has the length and athleticism.

Pangos
Dranginis (until Bell is healthy)
Coleman
Nunez (until Sam is all the way back)
Kanro/Sam

TravelinZag
01-10-2014, 05:33 AM
+1 for emphasis on defense and boards! Line-up worth a shot; substitutions to keep them fresh. And yank the leash for failures to hustle after rebounds and loose balls. Amazing what a focus on defense has done for the offense in spots earlier this year, and in previous seasons. Perhaps a Hart highlight reel on continuous loop in the locker room (facetious, or maybe not)!

jazzdelmar
01-10-2014, 05:45 AM
Yes, but so obvious it will never happen. For example, last night near the end, as the Zags led by Coleman were fighting hard to get back Few still subbed DS in and out as if he could bring something to the table -- other than fouls to give -- when it was clear the long, athletic players were at least making up some ground. Maybe DS is his doppleganger, maybe he values the two or three steals a game DS gets, maybe he treasures DS' hoops savvy, whatever, he doesn't see the talent gap that can be a difference maker in a close game. As well, Barham is one dimensional and should sit. Yes, Coleman and Nunez are wild at times but their upside is worth the risk. Nunez played 13 minutes, DS 22. Crazy.

Bogozags
01-10-2014, 06:53 AM
Yes, but so obvious it will never happen. For example, last night near the end, as the Zags led by Coleman were fighting hard to get back Few still subbed DS in and out as if he could bring something to the table -- other than fouls to give -- when it was clear the long, athletic players were at least making up some ground. Maybe DS is his doppleganger, maybe he values the two or three steals a game DS gets, maybe he treasures DS' hoops savvy, whatever, he doesn't see the talent gap that can be a difference maker in a close game. As well, Barham is one dimensional and should sit. Yes, Coleman and Nunez are wild at times but their upside is worth the risk. Nunez played 13 minutes, DS 22. Crazy.

I knew the game was going to be really tough when DS missed any easy layup and KD missed the put back dunk or at least those were indicators to me that it was going to be a long, long night.

Regarding DS, I saw the downside of him last night. Normally, his low 3pt shooting % isn't an issue BUT last night it was. When DS was on the wing with the ball and PK came over looking for the entry pass on the post, Wintering just sagged begging DS to take the shot; subsequently, PK couldn't get the pass. Had that been KP or KD they would of had to play them straight up and the entry pass could of been made.

I don't know what goes through the mind of Coach Few during these types of games and having been a coach, I do not want to try and second guess him BUT it wasn't DS's night that is for sure. One more thought, we missed a ton of chippies throughout the game, probably 10+ is my guess. That would of been an equalizer BUT they didn't fall and Portland played a GREAT game.

As far as line-up changes, the line up didn't cost us this game. Portland out played us from the opening tip. They got the 50-50 balls and several calls that maybe shouldn't have been called at all - two in specific were against SD lunging for the loose ball and GC's offensive foul off of the steal. One more horrible call, was the over the back call on PK. On the replay you could easily see it should of been a no call.

When things go bad, they just go bad all around...

Give credit to Portland for this really big win!

zagfan1
01-10-2014, 07:20 AM
Pangos - sub in David Stockton (ideally would be great to rest pangos to heal his turf toe)
Coleman - sub in Dragginis
Dower - sub in meikle
Shem - sub in Edwards
Nunez - sub in barham

Bogozags
01-10-2014, 07:27 AM
Pangos - sub in David Stockton (ideally would be great to rest pangos to heal his turf toe)
Coleman - sub in Dragginis
Dower - sub in meikle
Shem - sub in Edwards
Nunez - sub in barham

Can't completely agree with your line-up. Pangos, Drano, Nunez, SD, and PK might be a much better line-up. Drano is so consistent of a player and should start. Coleman can be erratic at times and Nunez is too but he can defend the arc pretty well AND he rebounds.

Oregonzagnut
01-10-2014, 07:39 AM
Of course the masses are always unknowing and don't have any right to speak about Few, who knows what he is doing and wins 80% of his games.......

Stockton will start until his final game is over and that is that. Like Dr. Seuss might say, "Few will not change that. That is that. But if that is NOT that, then I will eat my hat."

Where did our transition game go? Swarming Defense? Where did our 3 pt shooting go?

vandalzag
01-10-2014, 07:48 AM
First change is Pangos can't play 40 minutes, shoot 3-10 shots and score 12 points. He was MIA and that can't happen. You can't be the All American candidate and play such a brutal game. The starting lineup is great if you intend to have Nunez foul out in the first half since he played all of 13 minutes and fouled out last night. Coleman is great when the team does not run any offense and will press, but that it is it. The problem is this team is built on running offensive sets and offensive efficiency and Coleman does not fit that mold, nor is good enough to warrant changing the offensive game plan. Teams sag on Stockton, but at least he will try and shoot to keep them honest, Coleman beyond 5 feet is hopeless, they will let dare him to shoot and let him drop his head and drive into the defense every time. Last nights game was about a team that wanted to win and a team that thought it deserved to win. The loss was about leadership on the floor and that starts with Pangos. This team is about him and he was terrible last night, and he can't be content to just drift around and not do anything. The good news it was one game and the league is terrible. This team misses Bell, hopefully he gets back soon.

Reborn
01-10-2014, 07:52 AM
I love your hope that Few might change his mind, DixieZag. I think things are pretty set for this year. Let's just hope that the team gets healthy in time to win the conference. At least other teams in the top tier of the conference are losing also. At this point i'm just going to accept that the game last night was an absolute stinker, caused by injuries and the flu. The committee will throw out one stinker because they understand that most teams will have one during the season. Let's hope that we don't have another one. I hope the team gets healthy before next week.

HenneZag
01-10-2014, 07:54 AM

I agree with this statement other then the Barham comment. It was clear the length and athletic ability of both Nunez and Coleman were a positive factor and atleast disrupting the flow of the game. These are the times you let these guys play through a cpl tough stretches. Coleman was everywhere last night, he played with heart and although he had a cpl of questionable decisions he attacked the the rim, dove for loose balls and had a beautiful pass to Shem, and Nunez some nice dunks. There are times when Stockton needs to play more and times like last night where his style is not effective, so recognize it and make changes early. Barham is a stretch shooter, but he also plays gritty D and can read cuts and understands the offense.

My lineup last night would have been:
Pangos/Coleman/Dranginis/Nunez/Coleman

Bottom line. We looked flat and Portland ran all over us, got all of the 50/50 and just wanted it more. This is a reminder that if we come out like this with any team on the road we will lose, hats off to them they played great. Just hoping Portland can help us out a little and beat some of the top half teams but they will probably shoot 19% and go 0-19 on 3's next game I have seen it all too much in this conference.

jpwils
01-10-2014, 07:55 AM
Of course the masses are always unknowing and don't have any right to speak about Few, who knows what he is doing and wins 80% of his games.......

Stockton will start until his final game is over and that is that. Like Dr. Seuss might say, "Few will not change that. That is that. But if that is NOT that, then I will eat my hat."

Where did our transition game go? Swarming Defense? Where did our 3 pt shooting go?

There were several factors at work:

1. Portland shot lites out in first half- we cannot get behind 13 on the road in first half and expect to win.

2. Road game- we shot poorly from 3 pt land- they didn't

3. 4 Rebounds for Shem? Stockton- 1 assist and no 3's?? ( Flu had to play a role here for both guys)

4. Coaching- we were outcoached- clearly Coleman and Nunez deserve more PT- especially when Barham isn't hitting 3's. for the next series of games- why not start Dranginis at the 2 , play Coleman
at the 3, and play Nunez at 4 and a bit at 3.

Now lets fix these things and learn from it and move thru it.

Zag4Hire
01-10-2014, 08:17 AM
Why not just rest up and get everyone healthy? Why have Dower and PANG! out there let alone the minutes they racked up? This season clearly looks like one where unless they right the ship, beat Memphis, and still do well in the WCC tourney, Zags will need to win WCC tourney outright to get in.

john montana
01-10-2014, 08:26 AM
To me the talk of this guard or that guard, nunez getting 22 minutes instead of 18 (I know...he had 13 last night but that was on him and his fouls) is sort of irrelevant. The way I see this season is simply comes down to Shem.

When PK plays well, controls the paint, hits his hook shots and allows us to push people off of the 3 point line without fear of them driving it down our throats...we win. When PK can stop his guy in single coverage and avoid double teams and scrambles that give up open looks...we win. Last night...he didn't. Portland drove on us at will, and got wide open look after wide open look as we scrambled and recovered. Bottom line with this team is as PK goes, so go the Zags.

As dissapointed as I was with the game last night, I'll chalk it up to Shem having the flu and take a wait and see approach. If Shem returns to the SMC monster we all saw a week ago, we'll be right back to winning. If he doesn't, it will be a LONG season.

roxdoc
01-10-2014, 08:33 AM
Beating Memphis is a big stretch. If Stockton starts at Memphis our chances go from very slim to none.

ZagLawGrad
01-10-2014, 08:51 AM
I agree with Dixie on his comment that this team is not as good as many believe.

And I don't think Bell playing would have headed off a loss last night.

Bogozags
01-10-2014, 09:09 AM
[QUOTE=Oregonzagnut;967367]Of course the masses are always unknowing and don't have any right to speak about Few, who knows what he is doing and wins 80% of his games.......

Where did our transition go?QUOTE)

OZ agree, he won't change the rotation until GBJ returns as a starter - then KD will more than likely sit BUT not DS...if nothing else, he is true to his seniors!

Zagceo
01-10-2014, 09:28 AM
Cannot have 8 shots blocked.

former1dog
01-10-2014, 09:33 AM
End of the season rotation, assuming all are healthy enough to play:

Pangos
Bell
Coleman
Dower
Karnowski

Bench -
Dranginis
Nunez
Barham
Stockton
etc.

malmer7
01-10-2014, 10:00 AM

Pangos
Bell
Coleman
Dower
Karnowski

Bench -
Dranginis
Nunez
Barham
Stockton
etc.

I'm good with this... You add a bit of size to the starting lineup, and each of those bench players can be a spark plug in their own way... Even when Bell is back, we can't run out 3 undersized guards and expect NOT to get pushed around on the offensive end. For a while I thought we could pull it off due to the new hand-checking rules, but it's become clear we cannot.

Vanzagger
01-10-2014, 10:04 AM

Pangos
Bell
Coleman
Dower
Karnowski

Bench -
Dranginis
Nunez
Barham
Stockton
etc.
I like it. And give players the ultimate green light and let them play through some stuff. D'm up.

former1dog
01-10-2014, 10:11 AM
Bench -
Dranginis
Nunez
Barham
Stockton
etc.

Flesh this out a bit.

Dranginis first of the bench, he can play 1 to 3, mostly 2 or 3.

Nunez, I think, should spend most of his time at the 4.

Barham is a 3/4 guy, but I think he should always play with a couple of bigs and play the 3.

Stockton can spell Pangos or Bell. If he spells Bell, Pangos moves over to the 2.

Edited to add - I would love to see Meikle get some run, but the writing has been on the wall for some time now. Would have been best to redshirt him and probably Edwards also.

Hoopaholic
01-10-2014, 10:18 AM
Beating Memphis is a big stretch. If Stockton starts at Memphis our chances go from very slim to none.

disagree that beating memphis is a big stretch.

We have the components both offensively and defensively to beat memphis and any other team that I have watched this year. Players must perform, yesterday was erratic, disorganzied, disjointed on both sides of the ball and I am confident this will be rectified

maynard g krebs
01-10-2014, 01:05 PM
I'd make one change, but I would have made it a month ago. Sit Pangos until he's healthy. Win the WCC tourney and go on a roll as an 11-12 seed.

exclusivelee
01-10-2014, 03:31 PM
Right now, I'm not sure Gonzaga is playing like a team that wants to win.

It seems like on the offensive end that Gerard Coleman and Angel Nunez are only looking to be heroes, selfishly driving to the basket even if there are 3 defenders there to challenge their shots. It seems like the first thing Coleman wants to do when he gets the ball is rush toward the basket without thinking to pass it off, and then the defense just takes it away from us.

Is it really in the game-plan to let David Stockton shoot our jumpers? The defense will give it to him every time because he's proven that he is very poor at making even an open jumper.

Section 116
01-10-2014, 04:16 PM
I happened to hear a bit of Hudson and Violette last evening on the radio while driving home from the women's game. They noted early on Portland was going to let Stockton shoot from three until he did something from there to make them change their defensive strategy. They were going to stay in the grills of our other three point shooters to the best of their ability. And it was clear early on Karnowski was not going to get a clean shot at the bucket from underneath (Hack a Shaq) which they faithfully followed all evening. I expect others to thoroughly review this game film. That being said 8-14 from three and shooting well from the field and the line as well typically will win you games regardless of your opponent.

Zags11
01-10-2014, 04:29 PM
Yes thats what I heard too. Sag off stockton into the post and make him hit jumpers. Force karno to hit fts. But our d sucked.

Mantua
01-10-2014, 06:05 PM
I'd make one change, but I would have made it a month ago. Sit Pangos until he's healthy. Win the WCC tourney and go on a roll as an 11-12 seed.

I don't if you meant this seriously, but it's crossed my mind that a healthy Pangos would be a good thing. Letting him aggravate the injury all season may lead to more injuries.

I was wondering if the poor shot selections were truly a result of Pilot defense. I thought that Sam played better at 5 than at 4 which may have been due to his back problems. Maybe Sam and Shem should spell each other for awhile, especially when agility is needed to defend the three. I agree with those who have suggested that DS start, but be subbed out more often. He can create havoc for opponents coming into a game intermittently as we have seen.

DixieZag
01-10-2014, 06:15 PM
I don't if you meant this seriously, but it's crossed my mind that a healthy Pangos would be a good thing. Letting him aggravate the injury all season may lead to more injuries.

I was wondering if the poor shot selections were truly a result of Pilot defense. I thought that Sam played better at 5 than at 4 which may have been due to his back problems. Maybe Sam and Shem should spell each other for awhile, especially when agility is needed to defend the three. I agree with those who have suggested that DS start, but be subbed out more often. He can create havoc for opponents coming into a game intermittently as we have seen.

There were many of us that saw no upside to playing him from the week before the BIS to at least K-State. Now, it looks pretty bad. A kid like Kevin is going to play, even if his toe was sticking out of his shoe, but he is a shadow of himself and looked hurt worse last night than just about any game before.

Bob (of Doom) said it at the time that the team would go as far as the toe took us and that toe is hurting as much now as it has the entire time.

WallaWallaZag
01-10-2014, 06:40 PM
maybe if we lose a couple more and the at-large is bye-bye they will consider shutting down pangos...don't know if that would leave enough time for it to heal, but...the gary bell injury certainly made shutting pangos down impossible. probably would have been better for zags march potential if pangos had just broken something like bell and also out 4-6.

ZAGLAWQB
01-10-2014, 07:53 PM
Film analysis should include: DS has to be a "threat" even if he shoots poorly, currently not shooting is resulting in too much dribbling and offense breaks down--and shot clock is compounding this entire weak scenario. Shem is best played "soft" and teams are figuring that out...dribble penetration has no positive results in a game like last night. Fouls can be a tool when a team is "lighting" you up and moving as much as Portland moved last night...fouls can also make opposing players get in their own heads because scoring gets more difficult.

maynard g krebs
01-10-2014, 08:07 PM
I don't if you meant this seriously, but it's crossed my mind that a healthy Pangos would be a good thing.

Yes, serious.

gonwick
01-10-2014, 08:46 PM
Few abhors change. Few loves his system. Few is not good at in game adjustments. Those are not controversies, based on years of watching gu. When the opposing team game plans for your starter by not guarding him, you need a new starter. The team that knows gu best picked the obvious route to winning (supplemented by circus shots, some bad bounces, and a sad effort from gu). Does anyone think that a kick out to a 20% 3 point shooter is a game plan? That is lunacy, not to mention bad math. I'm not sure why Meech was pilloried for his inability to shoot but others get a pass. This is 4 on 5 all over again. Perhaps it would take a trip to the nit for few to learn to change his ways. I honestly don't know which I would prefer. NCAA tournament first (well, second) round exit and allow the pundits to complain again about how gu is overrated or a trip to the nit, where gu likely plays more than one game and maybe few learns to change. Few can get through some of the wcc with his preferred lineup, but it will go nowhere in March.

I'm in agreement with those who think that Nunez and Coleman are pressing. Can you imagine playing on a team where you get scant minutes and get pulled at the drop of a hat and are stuck behind someone who never gets pulled no matter what? If we argue about it here on gu boards, you know it has occurred to those at the end of the bench. Ask yourself, is there any scenario short of injury where few changes his starting lineup? Even if you answered yes, you probably paused before doing so. That says a lot.

This loss is not on one player, but it is on few.

By the way, did meikle tp few's house or something?

WallaWallaZag
01-10-2014, 09:00 PM
This loss is not on one player, but it is on few.

the loss is on the TEAM. not a single player, and not a single coach either.

gonwick
01-10-2014, 09:11 PM
the loss is on the TEAM. not a single player, and not a single coach either.
I understand your point, but the coach decides who constitutes the team on the floor, the coach sets the game plan, and the coach makes adjustments (or should). If few were to put the five worst players on the court every time, gameplan incorrectly, or fail to make reasonable adjustments, it could be 100% his fault if the team lost no matter now hard the team tried, so a coach can singlehandedly doom a team. Here, I think the mix is: few 60%, injuries/illness 30% (toe, back, and finger of doom), bad fricking luck/Portland playing out of their minds 10%. I believed before half time that gu was going to lose that game, and I'm bummed I was right. Reminded me of the Portland state debacle.

WallaWallaZag
01-10-2014, 10:00 PM
I understand your point, but the coach decides who constitutes the team on the floor, the coach sets the game plan, and the coach makes adjustments (or should). If few were to put the five worst players on the court every time, gameplan incorrectly, or fail to make reasonable adjustments, it could be 100% his fault if the team lost no matter now hard the team tried, so a coach can singlehandedly doom a team. Here, I think the mix is: few 60%, injuries/illness 30% (toe, back, and finger of doom), bad fricking luck/Portland playing out of their minds 10%. I believed before half time that gu was going to lose that game, and I'm bummed I was right. Reminded me of the Portland state debacle.

we'll have to disagree on the percentages...personally, i think you're giving few and maybe coaches in general too much credit...and not nearly enough credit to inferior teams playing inspired ball on their home court.

gonwick
01-10-2014, 10:21 PM
we'll have to disagree on the percentages...personally, i think you're giving few and maybe coaches in general too much credit...and not nearly enough credit to inferior teams playing inspired ball on their home court.
I can respect that. Although if a coach is to be lauded for a gaudy winning record, then he also bears responsibility, at least in part, for losses. You're probably right, they get too much credit/blame for both.

GonzagasaurusFlex
01-10-2014, 11:15 PM
Two things I would change, since you asked:

1) Shut Pangos down until mid-February...he was a shell of himself vs Portland and fact of the matter is Zags have no chance of doing anything special this season without Pangos 100% come WCC and NCAA tourney time. I'd rather he be shut down now and team deals with getting him back into the flow last week or so of regular season and trust they will ride the tide of good health through WCC and into NCAA tourney rather than have a shadow-of-himself Pangos tough it out for rest of the season.
2) Come up with a counter-move offensively when Stockton is running the point and defenses sag into the paint and beg him to shoot the 3.

jim77
01-11-2014, 12:47 AM
Interesting game last night. I wasn't in the Zags locker room so I don't know the extent of the flu/ injuries and how much the effect was on GU. I do think Portland is better than advertised....they got some athletes on that team. I saw a darn athletic Nunez get swatted a couple of times. It will be interesting to see how the Pilots play from here on out. Having a diminished KP and SD does hurt and Sams back doesn't look good. I just wonder if theres more to Sams injury then they are letting on....the announcer kept talking about playing through an injury....I've got news for him. There is no pain like back pain....a destroyed disc is crippling..you ain't playing through it. I do think we need to alter our lineup AND PLAY BIGGER. If were gonna play KP hurt then Dranginis needs to be the other guard. We also need Nunez...Barham.....Shem on the floor from the beginning.....no more spotting teams points......and letting them build confidence early. I also think Meikle and the big Montana kid need more relief appearances as both play pretty smart......we simply are more dominant when we play big than when we play 3 guards. It also suits DS's game more when he has more bigs to feed than bombing 3's.

I thought Coleman played as hard as any Zag I've ever seen last night for stretches....we wouldn't have been as close without him. I suspect the Spokane game with Portland is gonna be a hell of a grudge match. Heres to a week of rest...the Zags need it.

Baseline
01-11-2014, 09:08 PM
Many people define insanity as doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
To me the coaching staff has a bit of this problem. I think they are doing what they are comfortable with and it will win them more games than they lose, but it will never take them to the high levels that are possible.
Just an opinion without knowing a lot of the daily details. Easy to throw stones, I threw mine.

WallaWallaZag
01-11-2014, 09:20 PM
Many people define insanity as doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
To me the coaching staff has a bit of this problem. I think they are doing what they are comfortable with and it will win them more games than they lose, but it will never take them to the high levels that are possible.
Just an opinion without knowing a lot of the daily details. Easy to throw stones, I threw mine.

it's awfully hard to change what you're doing when winning more games than you lose is actually 80/20 in favor of winning...even though you may be right in that it is limiting the potential ceiling...but no one knows that for sure, so the desired change is probably a calculated risk that a conservative coaching staff by nature is unlikely to make.

Oregonzagnut
01-12-2014, 01:00 AM
it's awfully hard to change what you're doing when winning more games than you lose is actually 80/20 in favor of winning...even though you may be right in that it is limiting the potential ceiling...but no one knows that for sure, so the desired change is probably a calculated risk that a conservative coaching staff by nature is unlikely to make.

I agree with this. But there comes a time when change is necessary and the risk can be minimized. I see Few ever so slowly learning to allow individual creativity from his bench during a game. Especially when both Dower and Bell were out. I highly doubt they practiced that scenario so Few had no choice but to just let them play.

FGCU comes to mind when the team does their best all year and plays tight and under the coaches control, but when show time comes, the coach lets them loose. Its like a parent who has done the best they can do teaching their kids to drive but then has to let them take the test alone. Any parent who sat in the back seat while they took the test would doom their kids to failure. Bird-dogging is the worst thing a parent or boss can do when there is nothing more to teach and certainly there is no more time for practice.

Few needs to set them free more in March (especially the seniors) and trust that he taught them everything he could and that they will not abandon that education either.

Reborn
01-12-2014, 09:34 AM
I would reduce Stockton's minutes to 16 per game. 8 min to replace Pangos (Pangos needs breaks imo), and 8 min to run the small guard offense.

I would not let Sam play longer then 5 min at a time. His back needs rest. That would give Few 4 more minutes to use for the subs.

I would give Coleman and Nunez 20 minutes a game. I would train Nunez to play at both the 3 and 4. And give this guy more freedom. I was also use Coleman to guard the point guard more. In the game against Portland he seemed to be the one guy that could stop that freshman guard who killed both Stockton and Pangos.

I would also play Edwards as PK's sub. To me Sam Dower is really bad at the 4, and especially on defense. Edwards is a good foul shooter, and, imo, he played quite well during the time when Sam was injured. I think it has hurt the team to take his minutes away from him.

I believe that Few needs to add stability to the team, and begin to get the minutes the players will get "set." I think the Zags have a great bench, and that all of these guys, Nunez, Coleman and Barham are good enough to be starters and should be treated as such. They should be treated every bit as good as Few treats Dranginis and Stockton and actually all the other starters, and by that I mean that he stops yanking them every time they make a mistake. How can any player play to his best ability when he plays with fear and caution inside his mind. This is my main criticism of Coach Few. I hope he is able to change, and let these guys play freely.

ZagHouse
01-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Aside from the Santa Clara win, we just came off three fairly convincing victories. Few had started David all season and while he does have his deficiencies, what recent game eluded to Thursday's outcome? I have always felt David should spell Kevin, but to blame Few for what some are saying is an obvious adjustment doesn't make any sense based on the games we just finished playing at home. While I'd love to see someone else start, it's not going to happen until the staff sees that teams are using the Portland game as the new formula...and it's successful.

roxdoc
01-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Unfortunately that should not take too long.

DixieZag
01-12-2014, 03:50 PM
Man, I have never thought that David starting was our strongest line up but, wow - this scape goating is down right reaching Meechian levels.

Quick question, if I had told someone that after 5 games in conference, we'd have a total of 3 losses, 4-1 in conference, including 1-0 against SMC, all while our 2 stars, Gary is sporting stylish street clothes and cool glasses, while Kevin should be styling Canadian duds (likely less stylish, which I can say, being a Cana-American), would anyone be sitting around trying to figure out why David and Few are conspiring to kill our season?

Baseline
01-12-2014, 11:28 PM
The only thing that bothers me is that Edwards isn't getting more time. He looks as good as Socrae and Kelly their Freshman years with better rebounding and defense than what they were showing.
If Shem should go to the NBA next year, which I don't think will happen and Sam is gone Edwards is not geting game experience. The same for Miekle.

TacomaZAG
01-13-2014, 10:24 AM
Changes - OK, here's three:

1. Maybe a discernible game plan from the staff, instead of just the same old thing in a different building. As an example, with GBJ out we have two dependable 3-point threats (KP & DB), so why is it that Drew didn't even get a look until mid-way through the 2nd half, and KP got one look in that same time frame???

2. Maybe some half time adjustments. As a example, against Portland we laid a steaming turd in the 1st half but were only down by 8. To open the second half, we made a couple of shots, had a Portland miss, and were down by 4. Here we come............right?? Oh, Portland then goes on a 14-2 run and the game is over. Nice adjustments.....The team made no runs the entire game, it was 35 minutes of awful followed by 5 minutes of panic.

3. If guys are too sick or injured to go, they should sit. That is a coach's responsibility, regardless of how much of a warrior any player is, or how strong his will to win. It's about the season long approach, not about any single game. It was obvious to anyone watching the game that Karno and Pangos were barely able to walk, much less contribute anywhere near their normal amount. 100% effort on defense when you are at 10% is still only 10% effective. Maybe that's good enough at K2, it's definitely not enough on the road.

When we are at half strength, that's when the staff needs to coach the guys up...... maybe even get creative for a game or two. When the team is at or near full strength, 20+ wins are guaranteed each year. With the OOC schedule, the bottom feeders of the conference, and the advantages K2 provides, the team could go 24-7 (77% winning percentage) picking 5 names out of a hat and just rolling the ball out on the court.

Thursday was really hard to watch, for a lot of reasons................Guys, get well soon!!

Go ZAGS

willandi
01-13-2014, 11:04 AM
Go back to the short shorts and tight tops! Old School! Then, while the other teams are chuckling, beat the stuffing out of them!

jagwalkley
01-13-2014, 11:06 AM
just have to say,Oregonzagnut and Bogozags see it pretty clear.