PDA

View Full Version : Bennett Missing 4 WCC games:

DixieZag
01-07-2014, 04:36 PM
I put this up on the Jan. 6th other games thread but it's likely lost there and most won't see it.

From what was said on the Gael's board, the game that SMC played against NAIA-II William Jessup counts as one of his "5" and that is why they scheduled it.

I presume that they are doing this within the rules, but - still, most believed that he had to miss 5 conference games and not be able to count one against an NAIA team. I don't blame them - do whatever one can do legally . I do blame the NCAA - they should make it clear "5 Conference games" or 4.

KStyles
01-07-2014, 05:20 PM
I presume that they are doing this within the rules, but - still, most believed that he had to miss 5 conference games and not be able to count one against an NAIA team. I don't blame them - do whatever one can do legally . I do blame the NCAA - they should make it clear "5 Conference games" or 4.

The NCAA did make it clear, the media reports didn't. The penalties outlined by the Committee on Infractions in their report specifically mentioned that if a non-conference game was scheduled in the midst of the first 5 conference games, it would count as one of the 5. Most believed it was 5 conference games because that was the number reported in the media. I didn't see any articles mentioning that a non-conference game would count toward the suspension.

The head men's basketball coach failed in his duty to monitor his program and
failed to promote an atmosphere for compliance as set forth in Section IV-D
Specifically, the head coach did not monitor the activities of the former assistant
coach and the activities of outside individuals who conducted training sessions
with members of the men's basketball team. In doing so, the head coach failed to
promote an atmosphere for compliance. Therefore, pursuant to NCAA Bylaw
19.5, if the head coach remains employed at Saint Mary's College or any other
NCAA member institution during the 2013-14 academic year, he shall be
suspended from all coaching duties for the first five conference games of the
2013-14 season. If Saint Mary's College or other employing member institution
does not agree to this suspension, it shall appear before the committee and show
cause why the penalty is not appropriate. The provisions of this suspension
require that the head coach not be present in the arena where the games are played
and shall not have any contact/communication with members of his coaching staff
and men's basketball student-athletes during the suspension period. The
prohibition includes all coaching activities for the period of time which begins at
12 midnight the day of the first conference game and ends at 11:59 p.m. the day
of the fifth conference game. [Note: If a non-conference contest is scheduled in
the midst of the first five conference games, it may count as one of the five games
for the purposes of this penalty.] During that period, the head coach may not
participate in any activities that are defined as "coaching," including, but not
limited to, team travel, practice, video review and team meetings. Finally, the
results of those contests from which the head coach is suspended shall not count
on the head coach's career coaching record.

Full report, check page 30 for the section I quoted:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_22697080/documents-ncaa-report-saint-marys-college-basketball-program

DixieZag
01-07-2014, 06:06 PM
The NCAA did make it clear, the media reports didn't. The penalties outlined by the Committee on Infractions in their report specifically mentioned that if a non-conference game was scheduled in the midst of the first 5 conference games, it would count as one of the 5. Most believed it was 5 conference games because that was the number reported in the media. I didn't see any articles mentioning that a non-conference game would count toward the suspension.

Full report, check page 30 for the section I quoted:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_22697080/documents-ncaa-report-saint-marys-college-basketball-program

Interesting. So, they practically handed him the answer to the 5 game issue right in the penalty. Thanks for the details - sounds like if he even showed up at his office during the two weeks, he'd be close to being in violation. I didn't know what went beyond the issue of not being game coach. I'm sure there are lots of minutes on the phones of his assistants and him, but not practicing and no meetings are probably as big a penalty as not coaching in games.

Thanks Styles - good stuff.

CDC84
01-07-2014, 10:01 PM
William Jessup sounds like the name of an old west gunslinger.....

Zagsker
01-07-2014, 10:05 PM
Is this a big deal to some?

willandi
01-08-2014, 07:37 AM
Not really important to me, But if Jessup is NAIA Div !!, does it really even count as a game, much less one of 5 'conference or scheduled' games?

Bkzag
01-08-2014, 07:45 AM
Not really important to me, But if Jessup is NAIA Div !!, does it really even count as a game, much less one of 5 'conference or scheduled' games?

I believe this win carries as much weight as our win against Chaminade. In fact regarding our RPI, the game isn't even acknowledged as we have a record of 13-2 but the BPI does acknowledge we have 14 wins.

WallaWallaZag
01-08-2014, 08:37 AM
smc was lucky that they had a slot available to schedule the naia game...if they were playing the zag schedule they probably don't have the flexibility to put that extra game in without some risk involved.

kitzbuel
01-08-2014, 08:42 AM
Jessup is also the last name of about half the folks in the little FLDS town near where I grew up.

willandi
01-08-2014, 08:56 AM
I believe this win carries as much weight as our win against Chaminade. In fact regarding our RPI, the game isn't even acknowledged as we have a record of 13-2 but the BPI does acknowledge we have 14 wins.

But the Chaminade game was 1 of 3 that counted as 1 game...or 1 of 4 if you count the game in Spokane, so it's different than a stand alone game that SMC scheduled. I hope that they ran it by the NCAA AND GOT AN ANSWER. Be a bummer for them if, after the fact, the NCAA said it was non-compliant and Bennet had to miss more games, maybe rest of the season for wilfull non-compliance.
NCAA has done worse.

hondo
01-08-2014, 09:50 AM

This L is for hire.

KStyles
01-08-2014, 10:03 AM

Yes, it still counts as a game.