PDA

View Full Version : Barham vs. Pangos

jscrk
01-04-2014, 06:41 PM
So who is the better pure shooter? Who wins in a game of horse. I know that Pangos is the better player but who is the better pure shooter.

Hoopaholic
01-04-2014, 06:44 PM
So who is the better pure shooter? Who wins in a game of horse. I know that Pangos is the better player but who is the better pure shooter.

that is like 3 different questions because shooting is broken down into components

better pure shooter off the pass I think it is Barham, off the dribble its pango, on the move its Pangos
Who wins in Horse...I take Pango's

john montana
01-04-2014, 07:13 PM
I would take pangos in any situation involving shooting. Bar ham is a great shooter, pangos is better. Plus he is much more competitive.

NumberCruncher
01-04-2014, 07:21 PM
Pangos.

Mantua
01-04-2014, 07:24 PM
Pangos.

zag buddy
01-04-2014, 08:03 PM
Barham much more consistant.

BTB
01-04-2014, 08:12 PM
Barham much more consistant.

Barham is the better pure shooter. I heard a story through the grapevine that he made 43 straight 3s shooting on his own with a lucky lady rebounding for him and quit since that is his number. I wonder how frequently he does that to end his shoot arounds. There is also a youtube video of him shooting practice 3s and he misses about five in 3+ minutes of shooting. I'll see if I can find it.

I just counted and he missed 4 out of 73 threes by my count. I'm sure Pangos can make a ton when he's shooting the same spot up shot continuously in practice, but I doubt he is that good. It's unbelievable really.

Here's the vid: Drew Barham Shoots (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZLzM3TRkp4)

Keep in mind this was when he was still in Memphis, I'm sure he is even better now.

Bushman
01-04-2014, 08:21 PM
Kevin told me that Drew is a better pure 3 point shooter. Kevin also told me he was a better free throw shooter than Drew and Drew said he wouldn't have a chance in HORSE against Kevin. Kevin just smiled. I'd take Kevin.

3zagda
01-04-2014, 08:22 PM
DB43 is better anyone can see that...At least if your study is the last few games...When Pangos has been injured.
Over their GU career, its not even close. Pangos reigns!
Pangos will go down as one of the all time greatest Zags.
I hope with our depth the coaches will let him heal.
Go Zags!

willandi
01-04-2014, 08:28 PM
How about Karno/Stocks, points/assists in the paint?

I think Drew is the better shooter, I would take Pangos every day...shot clock/game clock expiring, get the ball and shoot to win? Take Pangs!

Bushman
01-04-2014, 08:28 PM
A quick story about shooting.... In a high level tournament in Kevin's senior year, there was a 3 point contest. A player from each team was to shoot 3's from a spot. They had 1 ball and 1 rebounder and 1 minute. One bad shot meant lost time. The second highest 2 minute total was 14 made, Kevin won with 45. He missed once. The place went nuts and Kevin shrugged it off and was upset he missed the one.

It is funny how injuries can actually help a team in the long run........

RenoZag
01-05-2014, 07:02 AM
A quick story about shooting.... In a high level tournament in Kevin's senior year, there was a 3 point contest. A player from each team was to shoot 3's from a spot. They had 1 ball and 1 rebounder and 1 minute. One bad shot meant lost time. The second highest 2 minute total was 14 made, Kevin won with 45. He missed once. The place went nuts and Kevin shrugged it off and was upset he missed the one.

Great anecdote. The kid is also tough as nails.

jazzdelmar
01-05-2014, 07:29 AM
It's a push in a studio game. In a real game, not close.

BULLDOG#1
01-05-2014, 08:04 AM
It's a push in a studio game. In a real game, not close.

Drew has been great in games this year, but he's had a ton of open looks. I wonder how he'd do if teams focused their defenses on him like they do Pangos.

They are both great shooters, but with the game on the line I'd take Pangos every time.

FuManShoes
01-05-2014, 08:26 AM
The correct answer for best 3pt shooter is Kyle Bankhead.

gamagin
01-05-2014, 08:38 AM

It is funny how injuries can actually help a team in the long run........

Don' t know if I'm hallucinating but I think I can tell if KP is on or not by his positioning and the bend & release from his legs.

He's had to compensate, and has, since the toe jammed on him.

My guess depending on this observation and being at the PAC game last night, is the toe is a lot better. The balance, set up and release looks much better than, say, it did at the BIS. Especially with his leg motion back.

Curious what your take is. Thanks

jazzdelmar
01-05-2014, 09:03 AM
The correct answer for best 3pt shooter is Kyle Bankhead.

You just brought a big smile to my face. Thank you

Vanzagger
01-05-2014, 09:20 AM
Bankhead went from a one trick pony to Mr Everything. Watching his progression each year was a joy

jazzdelmar
01-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Bankhead went from a one trick pony to Mr Everything. Watching his progression each year was a joy

It'd be great if KD progressed as well and KB. My favorite Zag all-time.

Bushman
01-05-2014, 09:58 AM
Don' t know if I'm hallucinating but I think I can tell if KP is on or not by his positioning and the bend & release from his legs.

He's had to compensate, and has, since the toe jammed on him.

My guess depending on this observation and being at the PAC game last night, is the toe is a lot better. The balance, set up and release looks much better than, say, it did at the BIS. Especially with his leg motion back.

Curious what your take is. Thanks

Great observation. Kevin, like most great shooters, use repetition and muscle memory to be consistent. You notice his free throws are the same every time and his toe plays no part in the motion. Once a jumpshot/setshot is taken, some compensation, either conscious or not, occurs. From a spot, he is fine. Off motion, you are right, his set up is slightly different. My concern is his ability to drive and get to the free throw line where he is strong. I think the Zags inconsistency from the line is their biggest concern, especially when Karno is there a lot, and he will be even more as opponents prepare. One thing I've seen that is a bonus is Karno, Nunez and Coleman are looking to pass a bit more from the drive. This will give our spot up shooters, Kevin and Drew especially some good looks.

I look forward to the development of the pieces of the puzzle, pieces we have just seen due to injuries.

BobZag
01-05-2014, 03:29 PM
Gipsy Danger vs Leatherback.
Battleship USS Missouri vs Alien Ship.

DixieZag
01-05-2014, 03:52 PM
Kevin can be hotter than any kid I can think of that we've had at GU. He can also get into cold streaks. Gary has one of the highest percentages (take out last year) ever. Make them both healthy and make Gary shoot for a full minute (or through all the letters) I do sort of wonder who would win. Kevin on a hot day, for sure, Gary wouldn't have many down days, for sure.

gamagin
01-05-2014, 06:49 PM
Kevin can be hotter than any kid I can think of that we've had at GU. He can also get into cold streaks. Gary has one of the highest percentages (take out last year) ever. Make them both healthy and make Gary shoot for a full minute (or through all the letters) I do sort of wonder who would win. Kevin on a hot day, for sure, Gary wouldn't have many down days, for sure.

Frank Burgess and Ammo put a couple of brown things in the round thing in their day.

titopoet
01-06-2014, 04:39 AM
Barham is a great shooter. He is the 3rd best on the team behind Pangos and Bell. Where Pangos and Bell are better is in their quicker release and compact motions. By no accident these two were the finalist in the 3 pt contest. (Though, Bell was give a B-day boost)

WallaWallaZag
01-06-2014, 05:26 AM
Barham is a great shooter. He is the 3rd best on the team behind Pangos and Bell. Where Pangos and Bell are better is in their quicker release and compact motions. By no accident these two were the finalist in the 3 pt contest. (Though, Bell was give a B-day boost)

barham is a pure spot-up shooter...don't remember ever seeing him shoot off the dribble or even curling off a screen. he doesn't even often pull the trigger after a pump-fake gets a defender flying by. he's still able to get his shot off because of his height and he also doesn't seem to be too bothered by guys flying at him.

DixieZag
01-06-2014, 06:46 AM
Frank Burgess and Ammo put a couple of brown things in the round thing in their day.

I am sure that Frank did - I just never saw it, but it's good to be reminded of it by people who did see him. Of course Ammo could score better than anyone. You're probably right but I remember Ammo as being so steady that he was rarely off - maybe that made it hard to see when he was on fire. There are times it seems like everyone in the building knows that Kevin isn't going to miss