• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zag 77
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Defensive Demons?

We are not a Dick Bennett style team yet, but I am pretty amazed at the turnaround in very short time in becoming an offense-first team to a bunch of defensive junkyard dogs. The coaches must be doing one hell of a job. We just took 2 pretty darned good offensive teams in USF and SMC and held them WAY under their typical numbers; questioning themselves and looking shell-shocked.

GU has clearly been physically hurting, but somebody has given them some religion on defensive grit making up for other aspects of the game that might be handicapped. Even Coleman is playing good team ball, and Nunez has been a pleasant surprise.

If we keep playing like this, in 3 months we may be looking at our injury woes as a blessing in disguise.
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Defensive Demons. I love the name, and I hope it sticks. Donny would be happy to hear it.

Personally I believe what we are seeing is the work of Donny Daniels. Daniels came over to GU from UCLA about five years ago. Daniels is given a lot of credit for building the defensive team at UCLA and his work with the post players. It has taken a little time to recognize this because Giocholatti was given a lot of credit in the past for the defense and post players. Some of you may have forgotten what a great defensive basketball team that UCLA once had. UCLA has not been the same imo since Daniels left there.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• Zippyzaggy
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
      Personally I believe what we are seeing is the work of Donny Daniels. Daniels came over to GU from UCLA about five years ago. Daniels is given a lot of credit for building the defensive team at UCLA and his work with the post players. It has taken a little time to recognize this because Giocholatti was given a lot of credit in the past for the defense and post players. Some of you may have forgotten what a great defensive basketball team that UCLA once had. UCLA has not been the same imo since Daniels left there.
      Isn't Travis Knight the Big guy guru? According to Dranginis he was the one practically holding KO's hand during his redshirt and instumental in his incredible transformation. So much so that he was given a full time job, instead of working as a temp, to continue his guruness?

Not sure what Daniels does, other than look cool on the bench. (ok, just kidding)

Comment

• Ekrub
        Zag for Life
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Zippyzaggy View Post
        Isn't Travis Knight the Big guy guru? According to Dranginis he was the one practically holding KO's hand during his redshirt and instumental in his incredible transformation. So much so that he was given a full time job, instead of working as a temp, to continue his guruness?

Not sure what Daniels does, other than look cool on the bench. (ok, just kidding)
        Travis Knight is the trainer, Daniels is an Assistant Coach

Comment

• Reborn
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2007

Travis Knight and Donny Daniels have completely different jobs. Daniels sits on the GU bench.

Comment

• CarolinaZagFan
            Zag for Life
            • Dec 2007

I told a friend that last night was the best Zags defense I've ever seen. For a team to not have an assist or a three in 35 minutes is almost impossible. Especially against a decent team. Keep it up! Everyone has off nights shooting but great defense is easy to replicate night in and night out.
            "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• Zippyzaggy
              Professional Zag Fan
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Ekrub View Post
              Travis Knight is the trainer, Daniels is an Assistant Coach
              Yeah, I get that. Was referring to Reborn giving so much credit to Daniels. I feel that Knight needed some love.

Comment

• Ekrub
                Zag for Life
                • Dec 2009

Don't know if a trainer would be "responsible" for a mid season full team turnaround on defense. But maybe? Don't know what his exact role is as far as developing players. I mean, we know what he did with olynyk, but the rest of the players? I don't know...

Comment

• john montana
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

So reborn, just so I am clear...you are worried that few is going to "ruin" (your word) Nunez and Coleman, and think all the credit for the defense should go to Daniels? Just checking...I think this year the entire staff has been on point, adjusting game plans and offensive sets on the fly due to lineup changes and injury. We have played more man to man of late as well.
                  john montana
                  http://carponthefly.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Birddog
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CarolinaZagFan View Post
                    I told a friend that last night was the best Zags defense I've ever seen. For a team to not have an assist or a three in 35 minutes is almost impossible. Especially against a decent team.
                    There was a lack of coaching on the Gaels part.
                    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                    All mimsy were the borogoves,
                    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• Reborn
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by john montana View Post
                      So reborn, just so I am clear...you are worried that few is going to "ruin" (your word) Nunez and Coleman, and think all the credit for the defense should go to Daniels? Just checking...I think this year the entire staff has been on point, adjusting game plans and offensive sets on the fly due to lineup changes and injury. We have played more man to man of late as well.
                      SorryJohn You are not clear at all....keep working on your hypothesis, and if it changes get back to me.

Comment

• john montana
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Reborn View Post
                        SorryJohn You are not clear at all....keep working on your hypothesis, and if it changes get back to me.
                        Lol...nice new thread you started.
                        john montana
                        http://carponthefly.blogspot.com/

Comment

• CarolinaZagFan
                          Zag for Life
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Birddog View Post
                          There was a lack of coaching on the Gaels part.
                          We've got to lead the nation in tainted wins over the years.
                          "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Comment

• Rangerzag
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CarolinaZagFan View Post
                            We've got to lead the nation in tainted wins over the years.

Originally posted by Rangerzag View Post
                            I am so pleased that the Zags showed up when four out of five starters were either missing or walking wounded. I can see no way this win can be considered with the "T" (tainted) word in mind because Bennett was house bound. Great job by all Zags involved!
                            "thnk god for few" jazzdelmar(12/12/11 12:50pm)
                            "When most of us couldn't buy a basket. Where do we get off anyway?!" siliconzag (11/17/06 5:45:41 pm)
                            I am monitoring the price of a donut

Comment

• amaronizag
                              Bleeds GU Blue
                              • Jul 2013

Donny Daniels role is to coach the big men. He is also the defensive guru on the coaching staff. At GU coach's clinics he teaches defense always. That was also his focus at UCLA and that is the reason he was hired by GU. Knight was a big part of the three man team running the Olynyk clinic, which is focused on conditioning and reflexes. That team was so successful that he was hired full time to continue the clinic. The Olynyk clinic team is now a full time effort that develops a unique training program for each Zag. I thought the training regime of the Olynyk clinic team contributed to the small number of injuries sustained by the Zags........and then this year came along with tons of injuries. I guess no team is immune.

I also liked the GBJ attire on the bench. Not only is our bench deep in talent and scholastic excellence, but they are a fine looking group of young men that will succeed in life after GU. It must be a pleasure to coach and know this special group of young men.

The small team concept was great when we were running and gunning at the start of the year. That is always our MO at the start of the year. But then when the tournaments start around Thanksgiving, Few slows the pace down and we struggle to put 50 shots in the air per game. As I recall (would have to look it up) we averaged about 48 shots per game last year and 73 points per game on the road. That's typical for the Zag's with the flex motion offense. Very slow pace of play that ends up being around 180th or so in the nation. That's good enough to win our conference, but doesn't generate enough points to get anywhere in March. The top teams average in the mid 80's, and that's playing against the top talent in the nation. Yes, you have to have an elite defense to get to the Elite 8. But the team that wins has an elite offense that scores 85 points against the best defenses in the nation. Scoring 70 points at home doesn't bode well for this team in March. However, I love the big look we sported the other night with PK, AN, GC, KD, and KP. I love that lineup and hope to see more of it. I think that lineup would put a lot more points on the board than the small lineup and (I think) it's our best performer on defense as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X