PDA

View Full Version : karnowski

BULLDOG#1
01-03-2014, 02:21 PM
PK's play last night was what I was hoping for and sort of expected when he came to GU.

I have scoffed at the posters here saying that PK had NBA potential, but after witnessing his dominating performance last night, I have to agree that he does have that upside.

Obviously, it was only one game, but he really manhandled the Gaels. Waldow - who is an outstanding college player - was completely taken out of his game by PK. Offensively, PK was hitting the baby hooks and opening up things for our slashers. Defensively, he was even more impressive by clogging the lane and not committing ticky-tac fouls. I loved watching him shut down Waldow 1-1. I highly doubt SMC had any idea that a double wouldn't come down on Waldow if he was allowed multiple dribbles... where Waldow would kill the defender every time. Zag perimeter defenders (especially Nunez and Coleman who both take risks) benefit from the middle being clogged by PK.

Without question, it was a heck of a performance. I am hopeful that he can continue this play and dominate the entire league. Possible POY if he does.

WBM
01-03-2014, 02:34 PM
I would love to see Shem stay out of his own head. Hopefully we get to see a lot more of what we saw last night: a dominating presence.

ZAGLAWQB
01-03-2014, 02:36 PM
Maybe his parents need to get work visas....

Zippyzaggy
01-03-2014, 02:42 PM
Maybe his parents need to get work visas....

Exactly. If all it took was for his parents to be at the game in order to play out of his mind, I say enroll them at GU ASAP! lol

CaliforniaZaggin'
01-03-2014, 02:49 PM
I've never been more impressed with PK than while watching last night's game. The right-handed half hooks were a thing of beauty. And I love that he's now a strong defensive presence.

zagamatic
01-03-2014, 05:24 PM
Possibly the best thing about his game last night was being taken out to a standing ovation after making two free throws. For a player struggling with confidence from game to game, that could be worth it's weight in gold

BTB
01-03-2014, 05:52 PM
I have been on the Karno bandwagon big time this year. His offense has been questionable this year at times even though you can see he has the skills. But his rebounding all season has been outstanding (despite what many people here seem to believe), and besides the first 5 or so games when he was getting himself in foul trouble his defense has been fantastic. I don't remember ever seeing a sophomore big ever being this good for the Zags.

DixieZag
01-03-2014, 06:02 PM
I have been on the Karno bandwagon big time this year. His offense has been questionable this year at times even though you can see he has the skills. But his rebounding all season has been outstanding (despite what many people here seem to believe), and besides the first 5 or so games when he was getting himself in foul trouble his defense has been fantastic. I don't remember ever seeing a sophomore big ever being this good for the Zags.

Good post, re: rebounding. Karno has gotten a lot better at using his height and reach over people for rebounds without leaning his arms and body in. He is actually very agile. I noticed several instances last night when he was not in great position but b/c of his footwork and care in keeping his body under control, he was able to use all his reach and able to gain the advantage that a shorter person would not be able to do. It was very impressive.

Billfish'80
01-03-2014, 06:16 PM
I was one of the ones who thought Shem could have done better with his rebounding positioning, and still think it was a problem early on. Not that he wasn't getting any rebounds (he was), but that he could have gotten more, with fewer fouls. I also hoped that going up against Buhlar (and others as big as himself) would have helped him realize he needed to gain good position to rebound well. I have seen a distinct difference since then, and it seems like he is getting much better at blocking out and "gaining position" each game, instead of just rebounding "over" opponents. I'm not sure it has increased his rebounds by much (maybe a couple) but think it has caused his fouls to go way down! And, for the record, I've always been a big fan of the Karnovore, just want him to realize his potential. I don't have TIVO or anything, but would be interesting to go back and specifically look at his rebounds and fouls early on, and see if each was from positioning or size, and compare to the last few games.

Reborn
01-03-2014, 06:19 PM
Just an incredible performance last night. I was glad to know that his parents were able to see it. It certainly was a gem. It's incredible how quickly he is learning. He has to be pretty intelligent too. He not only can score but he can pass out of the double teams as well. He's amazing. I know Few is happy about him because Few loves these talented low post players that can post up strong and be as effective as Karno is.

GoZags
01-03-2014, 06:27 PM
Just an incredible performance last night. I was glad to know that his parents were able to see it. It certainly was a gem. It's incredible how quickly he is learning. He has to be pretty intelligent too. He not only can score but he can pass out of the double teams as well. He's amazing. I know Few is happy about him because Few loves these talented low post players that can post up strong and be as effective as Karno is.

Two words:

Shem Nasty

2wiceright
01-03-2014, 06:43 PM
Without question, it was a heck of a performance. I am hopeful that he can continue this play and dominate the entire league. Possible POY if he does.

Totally Agree! :cheers:

maynard g krebs
01-03-2014, 07:24 PM
I was one of the ones who thought Shem could have done better with his rebounding positioning, and still think it was a problem early on. Not that he wasn't getting any rebounds (he was), but that he could have gotten more, with fewer fouls. I also hoped that going up against Buhlar (and others as big as himself) would have helped him realize he needed to gain good position to rebound well. I have seen a distinct difference since then

It began immediately after the Dayton game. You could see in the next game that he had taken on the challenge of being the guy on the boards, and after that game his rebs per min jumped 40% and have been remarkably consistent, averaging 9.2 per game in 25 minutes with a low game of 7 in the last 10 games. ESPN stat page has a game log for each player; check out his page and it's pretty clear when he upped his rebounding.