PDA

View Full Version : Now In Stock: Gonzaga 3 Point Defense..Is it a Limited Time Only Offer?

Zag4Hire
01-03-2014, 10:38 AM
What was the difference last night? Personnel matchups? Did the Zags figure they shoot the 3 ball very well and will have a very tough time beating us down low so press the perimeter? Granted SMC made some bad plays last night and the game was well in hand by the time they sank their first and only three ball but even their attempts were down. I mean c'mon folks, Zags with 10 blocks?! When was the last time you saw that? Was it that with GBJ and Sammy Baby dinged up, everybody was viewing this as a tryout for minutes? If you told me before the season that the Zags would hold a top 10 3 ball shooting team to under 15 attempts with only one make without GBJ, I would have said you are crazy. It looked liked Barham and KD were playing suffocating defense but you have four starters shooting at a +40 clip from three and can only muster 1 make and 12 attempts? I thought it was a fortunate scheduling turn for SMC before the season started as K2 sans KC knocks it down to a black diamond. Whatever it was, I hope it was bottled for testing and cloning because that defense reminded me of 08-09.

If somebody has a 1 page style printout of last night's SMC shot chart, I would love to put that on my office wall. Also I would hope a poster version of it would be up in the Zags clubhouse as well.

primal23
01-03-2014, 10:44 AM
I think it all goes down to Karno being able to hold his own, and then some, in the paint. SMC was afraid to drive when Karno was in the game, so GU didn't have to collapse the D to help nearly as much.

zagzilla
01-03-2014, 10:53 AM
What I found myself pondering after the last 2 games was how much of the result was attributable to USF and SMC playing badly or whether our defense made them play badly? After Monday, I thought it was more that USF sucked but after last night, I'm thinking we are actually playing better defense too.

ZZ

Reborn
01-03-2014, 11:01 AM
What I found myself pondering after the last 2 games was how much of the result was attributable to USF and SMC playing badly or whether our defense made them play badly? After Monday, I thought it was more that USF sucked but after last night, I'm thinking we are actually playing better defense too.

ZZ

USF went on to beat LMU last night, and LMU is a pretty good team. USF is very tough to beat at home.

Zag79
01-04-2014, 12:22 AM
I think it was the length of Coleman and Nunez, mixed with Karno beasting on Waldow.

Oregonzagnut
01-04-2014, 01:19 AM
I hope this is a lifetime membership club rather than a 1 time limited offer. Part of it is a "tryout for minutes" because I think Few will tighten the rotation no matter what. But most of all, Karnowski is standing his ground and standing tall, and it also preventing some needless fouls for him. He held his own block party and St Marys was not invited.

IMO, our team now resembles the loaded (6'4"-6'7") wing-type teams that have often been problems for us, and we maybe even beat Dayton and K St. with the team playing like this.

Zags11
01-04-2014, 01:21 AM
If this sticks....we could go deep in march.

jazzdelmar
01-04-2014, 04:54 AM
Why? RIP: Fewian favorite, three guard lineup. Period.

BTB
01-04-2014, 05:44 AM
I think it all goes down to Karno being able to hold his own, and then some, in the paint. SMC was afraid to drive when Karno was in the game, so GU didn't have to collapse the D to help nearly as much.

Yep. This is all the result of Karno dominating the paint.

WallaWallaZag
01-04-2014, 07:46 AM
I think it was the length of Coleman and Nunez, mixed with Karno beasting on Waldow.

i think the length of dranginis played a bigger part than either coleman or nunez as those two, especially nunez, have really played limited minutes the past two games. or if you prefer, the combination of them all... however, karno is reason numero uno in my opinion.

TacomaZAG
01-04-2014, 08:01 AM
Why? RIP: Fewian favorite, three guard lineup. Period.

Bingo, we have a winner............

That, in combination with Karno controlling the paint all by himself. GBJ, get better quickly........

Go ZAGS

jazzdelmar
01-04-2014, 08:24 AM
Bingo, we have a winner............

That, in combination with Karno controlling the paint all by himself. GBJ, get better quickly........

Go ZAGS

But Bell's return would encourage Few to restore the three smurf lineup, right? Decisions, decisions. Now he has a limited hand, and he is doing well out of his comfort zone, but when Bell and SD are ready to return that will be a test of how creative he has become.

Reborn
01-04-2014, 08:45 AM
Dranginis' defense on Holt must included in why the defense was so successful. He is 6'5" and seem to enjoy playing D. If you have coached you know that defense is all about getting the players to buy into working on on the defensive end of the court. To do this they need to be in really good shape. I think another factor is that you need players who are tough. Not all players have the kind of toughness inside that is needed to play defense at a high level. Gonzaga has these kinds of players right now. I don't know if anyone has noticed how Pangos has been rebounding lately. he got 9 rebounds vs St Mary's and 7 against San Francisco. And this is a player with turf toe. Pangos is one of the toughest players I've seen at GU. I love that about him. I think that since Bell and Dower have been unable to play that ALL of the players have made a concerted effort to play defense better and harder. When you suddenly have 25 points taken out of your lineup one way to make up for that is to play harder defense. The other is to slow the game down a little. Gonzaga has also done this. They are now playing in the low 70's vs the 80's. These are all decisions that Few has made and he must be given credit for stressing, and maybe demanding that the players begin to play defense.

john montana
01-04-2014, 10:26 AM
We didn't double the post...pretty simple. We just let karno be karno and coverd up on the wings. The only doubles we brought were after the 10 minute mark and only when smc had forced a switch that left KD stuck on the post against Levesque. Even then, we mostly let Levesque dribble and back down where karno could double almost without leaving Waldo. It was just an unbelievable performance by karno. He simply shut down the entire paint (Edwards was effective as well) and allowed us to push up on their wings. Aside, from holt, none of those guys want to drive...walker and carter are stand still shooters and we didn't let them stand still and shoot because we never had to help karno on the paint.

Absolute dominating performance by karno.

TacomaZAG
01-04-2014, 11:04 AM
But Bell's return would encourage Few to restore the three smurf lineup, right? Decisions, decisions. Now he has a limited hand, and he is doing well out of his comfort zone, but when Bell and SD are ready to return that will be a test of how creative he has become.

Agreed, Jazz, Bell's return will allow Coach to revert to his comfort level, if that is what he wants. Hopefully, with what he has seen/will see before GBJ's return, a revised comfort level and creative paradigm will have emerged. Also, if Karno continues to control the paint by himself, it opens up some possible minutes revisions regarding Sam, Angel, Drew, etc. as well as different perimeter possibilities.

Upon GBJ's return, I would love to see a lineup of KP, GBJ, GC, AN/SD, and Karno, with DS, DB, and KD as situational reserves, especially with GC displaying more defensive passion and drive/dish offensive creativity. That lineup would maximize the team's versatility and athleticism, two prized possessions come March.

As you say, decisions, decisions................

Go ZAGS

jazzdelmar
01-04-2014, 11:17 AM
Agreed, Jazz, Bell's return will allow Coach to revert to his comfort level, if that is what he wants. Hopefully, with what he has seen/will see before GBJ's return, a revised comfort level and creative paradigm will have emerged. Also, if Karno continues to control the paint by himself, it opens up some possible minutes revisions regarding Sam, Angel, Drew, etc. as well as different perimeter possibilities.

Upon GBJ's return, I would love to see a lineup of KP, GBJ, GC, AN/SD, and Karno, with DS, DB, and KD as situational reserves, especially with GC displaying more defensive passion and drive/dish offensive creativity. That lineup would maximize the team's versatility and athleticism, two prized possessions come March.

As you say, decisions, decisions................

Go ZAGS

Love that lineup, cited it myself. But not SD, opt for AN, superior player. Prob never happen with comfort players like DS and Barham still around. Now next year, think KP, GC, AN, Wiltjer and Karno.

Baseline
01-04-2014, 01:45 PM
If Karno plays every game like he did against SMC this is a different team and Few can play any combination of lineup and look good doing it.
I would play KD over Coleman as a starter and I would play Nunez over Dower if I was coaching as I think that is a more dynamic group.

Oregonzagnut
01-04-2014, 02:07 PM
If Karno plays every game like he did against SMC this is a different team and Few can play any combination of lineup and look good doing it.
I would play KD over Coleman as a starter and I would play Nunez over Dower if I was coaching as I think that is a more dynamic group.

I don't think Few will replace his 5th yr seniors with someone else in the starting lineup. Win or lose, Few makes a commitment and he sticks with it. There is no flexibility in his loyalty or his promises and that is Mark Fews most valuable and honorable trait. They would have to be injured, fail in their promises first, or agree themselves to letting someone else start for the sake of the team. Few stays loyal to those original freshman who stay 5 years and have shown they do exactly what he wants for those 5 yrs.

Better to lose a game honorably than to win a game and burn your credibility.

Baseline
01-04-2014, 02:25 PM
I don't think Few will replace his 5th yr seniors with someone else in the starting lineup. Win or lose, Few makes a commitment and he sticks with it. There is no flexibility in his loyalty or his promises and that is Mark Fews most valuable and honorable trait. They would have to be injured, fail in their promises first, or agree themselves to letting someone else start for the sake of the team. Few stays loyal to those original freshman who stay 5 years and have shown they do exactly what he wants for those 5 yrs.

Better to lose a game honorably than to win a game and burn your credibility.

I agree with what your saying and the personal side of Few is to be admired, I was just talking the logical aspect of what was best. Those nasty humanistic aspects of life can sure get in the way. LOL

Zagceo
01-04-2014, 02:27 PM
Win or lose, Few makes a commitment and he sticks with it.
Could this be a reason he has not had a final four appearance?

Oregonzagnut
01-04-2014, 02:36 PM
I agree with what your saying and the personal side of Few is to be admired, I was just talking the logical aspect of what was best. Those nasty humanistic aspects of life can sure get in the way. LOL

I agree with your logic and opinion. In fact I think most of us see the stats and "eye-test" that Nunez and Drano could start or at least are 2 of the most productive players. Maybe even Few sees it too, but he won't go back on his "Plan A", especially if the entire team has bought into it and agreed. Which I am sure they did.

maynard g krebs
01-04-2014, 02:37 PM
Interesting thread. I've been reading about what a stiff Karno is all year, especially after starting a thread about the possibility of him becoming a first round pick. I missed most of the 1st half of the SMC game. Apparently he's improving. What a nice surprise!

Oh well, we still want to bench Bell for more "length", a few of us at least. Some times I think I'm in bizarro world, and Vanzagger is winning the battle for hearts and minds.

Goshzagit
01-04-2014, 02:50 PM
3 quick thoughts:

- Some height @ the 3 spot.

- No more iso-defense w/GBJr(who often requires help on penetration due to proximity), rather team is better spaced out & quick close outs. Makes a difference.

- Few forced to play lineups incorporating better defensive players, not just shooters & dribblers.

Oregonzagnut
01-04-2014, 03:08 PM
Interesting thread. I've been reading about what a stiff Karno is all year, especially after starting a thread about the possibility of him becoming a first round pick. I missed most of the 1st half of the SMC game. Apparently he's improving. What a nice surprise!

Oh well, we still want to bench Bell for more "length", a few of us at least. Some times I think I'm in bizarro world, and Vanzagger is winning the battle for hearts and minds.

I have not heard anyone saying to bench Bell. Not one. But starting others in place of Stockton is what some are talking about. In fact many.

maynard g krebs
01-04-2014, 03:13 PM
I have not heard anyone saying to bench Bell. Not one. But starting others in place of Stockton is what some are talking about. In fact many.

Different thread, but it has been suggested.

DixieZag
01-04-2014, 03:15 PM

I have. Same one saying Few's lack of final four showing means he has to do something moronic like this. Not a big deal to write kinda dumb posts, do it all the time. :)

KP, GB, GC, AN, Karno is probably our best starting line up. I'm not sure Dower would take offense, he has been so comfortable at being the sixth man for years. Sixth manning him makes so much sense if he and Stock come in together being the telepathic roomies they are and feeding the post for a spurt of pure offense. Either way, it's like having seven starters. Stocks and Dower as a twosome mirrored by GC and AN. Bell, KP and Karno need to be on the floor except for catching their breath. There's some room for KD, Barham, in there, even Edwards when Karno is in foul trouble isn't that big a drop off defensively. He can at least bring 5 useful tools in the middle if scoring just needs to be earned a little harder.

Oregonzagnut
01-04-2014, 03:33 PM
Someone is saying to bench Bell? Instead of Stockton?....... get a rope. Just Kidding! In looking at the other thread I do see where someone benches Bell, but some serious planetary alignment and Jedi Mind Tricks are going to have to happen for Few to not start a healthy Bell.

Fews lack of Final four showing has many different variables involved. One being the trend towards the loaded athletic oversized-guard-type-teams that have a better combination of athleticism and skill than we usually do. We get swarmed instead of us doing the swarming.

Bell is our SG in any such squad we put out. But for me, if Few decides to let Bell get creative, Bell will become an even more complete player. Not bagging on Stocks at all because I think his IQ, court awareness and understanding of Fews game plan is why he is starting. But Nunez, Drano, or Coleman are still better options for starting minutes than even a highly skilled but scrawny PG like DS. Especially in March.

roxdoc
01-04-2014, 03:49 PM
Did Few committ to someone that they would start every game of their senior year? That they would play the majority of the minutes at their position? All they have to do is "earn" it by showing up for 4 years?

Seems like there ought to be a balance, which includes honor and practicality.

Oregonzagnut
01-04-2014, 04:21 PM
Did Few committ to someone that they would start every game of their senior year? That they would play the majority of the minutes at their position? All they have to do is "earn" it by showing up for 4 years?

Seems like there ought to be a balance, which includes honor and practicality.

That is not what I am saying. And I agree it is a balance of honor and practicality. It is a process but honor trumps practicality.

Each year is a new deal and a new schedule, a new set of players and circumstances. Maybe "deal" is the wrong word to use but Few commits to those who commit to him and his system. If they don't make mistakes and do what he asks, they stay in regardless of the "eye-test" or stat line.

I welcome the day when Nunez starts in place of Stockton because that is an eye test that almost no one can deny and would disprove that Few sticks with certain guys no matter what.

jazzdelmar
01-04-2014, 04:44 PM
That is not what I am saying. And I agree it is a balance of honor and practicality. It is a process but honor trumps practicality.

Each year is a new deal and a new schedule, a new set of players and circumstances. Maybe "deal" is the wrong word to use but Few commits to those who commit to him and his system. If they don't make mistakes and do what he asks, they stay in regardless of the "eye-test" or stat line.

I welcome the day when Nunez starts in place of Stockton because that is an eye test that almost no one can deny and would disprove that Few sticks with certain guys no matter what.

OZN, surely you jest. That will never never happen.

TacomaZAG
01-05-2014, 09:14 AM
Love that lineup, cited it myself. But not SD, opt for AN, superior player. Prob never happen with comfort players like DS and Barham still around. Now next year, think KP, GC, AN, Wiltjer and Karno.

I can't disagree with you on AN vs. SD, based on what we have seen so far this year. I also agree with you that it will probably never happen.

For next year, while I really like what GC brings, IMHO GBJ is the best all-around talent on the team, both this year and next. So, I would start him over GC. Also, I am really interested is seeing how Coach deals with Wiltjer. Will he let Kyle play to his strengths, or will he try to again force a square peg into a round hole like he did with Heytvelt and others???

But.........back to this year. I, too, get tired of the blind "allegiance" to seniors, regardless of the evolution of other players on the team. Minutes are precious, and there is a lot of "allegiance" shown by guys like GC and AN to sit out an entire year in order to get a chance to show what they can do. Also, maybe the realization of this "allegiance" to certain players and system guys sent Spangler back to Oklahoma. I guess I would better appreciate a balance of allegiance and recognition of talent evolution throughout a season and/or college career. There is a place for a balance of tradition and opportunity.

Go ZAGS

WallaWallaZag
01-06-2014, 05:54 AM
I can't disagree with you on AN vs. SD, based on what we have seen so far this year. I also agree with you that it will probably never happen.

For next year, while I really like what GC brings, IMHO GBJ is the best all-around talent on the team, both this year and next. So, I would start him over GC. Also, I am really interested is seeing how Coach deals with Wiltjer. Will he let Kyle play to his strengths, or will he try to again force a square peg into a round hole like he did with Heytvelt and others???

But.........back to this year. I, too, get tired of the blind "allegiance" to seniors, regardless of the evolution of other players on the team. Minutes are precious, and there is a lot of "allegiance" shown by guys like GC and AN to sit out an entire year in order to get a chance to show what they can do. Also, maybe the realization of this "allegiance" to certain players and system guys sent Spangler back to Oklahoma. I guess I would better appreciate a balance of allegiance and recognition of talent evolution throughout a season and/or college career. There is a place for a balance of tradition and opportunity.

Go ZAGS

i think a lot of people are over-blowing the "blind allegiance" idea with regard to few...yes, all things being close to equal, he will go with the players who have been here the longest, but minutes are not set in stone like some want to believe. people seem to forget that bell and pangos started as freshman right out of the gate...pangos by his 2nd career game in fact. people on this board have short memories...carter became a starter (deservedly so) and got 30+ minutes the 2nd half of his transfer-in year after relatively few minutes off the bench in the ooc, and was promptly benched the 2nd half of his senior year when his production inexplicably dropped...so much for few's allegiance to seniors.

TacomaZAG
01-06-2014, 11:46 AM
i think a lot of people are over-blowing the "blind allegiance" idea with regard to few...yes, all things being close to equal, he will go with the players who have been here the longest, but minutes are not set in stone like some want to believe. people seem to forget that bell and pangos started as freshman right out of the gate...pangos by his 2nd career game in fact. people on this board have short memories...carter became a starter (deservedly so) and got 30+ minutes the 2nd half of his transfer-in year after relatively few minutes off the bench in the ooc, and was promptly benched the 2nd half of his senior year when his production inexplicably dropped...so much for few's allegiance to seniors.

Walla Walla - Maybe saying "Blind allegiance" was too strong, but the allegiance seems definitely there none the less. Also, using a JC transfer like Carter to bolster your point doesn't really hold water when the discussion was with regard to 4 or 5-year system guys and their senior years. Also, as I recall, Pangos and Bell started right out of the gate because there was no one else on the team who even remotely met the 4 or 5-year system guy definition at either of their positions, regardless of talent, etc.

I will continue to hope for creativity and recognition of player improvement through the year to trump allegiance, blind or not.

Go ZAGS

jagwalkley
01-06-2014, 12:15 PM
Could this be a reason he has not had a final four appearance?

you may have just hit the nail on the head.

cjm720
01-06-2014, 01:02 PM
Will he let Kyle play to his strengths, or will he try to again force a square peg into a round hole like he did with Heytvelt and others???

Go ZAGS

Not sure if I agree with any of this....JH was a 6'11" outside shooter that could dunk on people too...he floated the outside and it was lethal to our opponents. Check one for coach.

Blind allegiance - see this a lot. But what the coaches elude to is that these players that coach "feigns" over get it done in practice and on the court...sure the upsides may be different, but coaching is about one game at a time.

DixieZag
01-06-2014, 01:48 PM
Square peg in a round hole is essentially what they did with Kelly, who now has 1.8 Million reasons to be thankful to them, b/c he was upset enough to strongly consider transferring. He wanted to "float" - - they thought it was fine that he could 3s and dribble, they also noted that he was seven ft tall and a back to the basket thing might be good to add.

If JH had really dedicated himself to the inside game that Kelly did, I think he could have been close to what Kelly became. As for Wiltjer? He came here for a reason and he has 1.8 million reasons to. . .

TacomaZAG
01-06-2014, 02:29 PM
Square peg in a round hole is essentially what they did with Kelly, who now has 1.8 Million reasons to be thankful to them, b/c he was upset enough to strongly consider transferring. He wanted to "float" - - they thought it was fine that he could 3s and dribble, they also noted that he was seven ft tall and a back to the basket thing might be good to add.

If JH had really dedicated himself to the inside game that Kelly did, I think he could have been close to what Kelly became. As for Wiltjer? He came here for a reason and he has 1.8 million reasons to. . .

IMHO, Kelly and Josh are apples and oranges, due to the fact that during Kelly's breakout year, Karno's presence as a pure 5 fit into coach's system and allowed Kelly to be a 4/5 combo, which, as you say, paid of handsomely for both Kelly and the ZAGS. Conversely, Josh had no pure 5 to play off, so he was forced into the back-to-the-basket role of the 5 in coach's system, and whenever he tried to "float" and/or play a 4/5 combo he got pulled. As for Kyle, I don't know his game that well but he is 6'-10" tall and appears to like to float and shoot the 3, based on his time at Kentucky. With Karno anchoring the post for the next 2 years, Kyle will have the flexibility in coach's system to be more of a Kelly-like 4/5 combo, a luxury Josh didn't have. I'm not arguing whether or not Kyle would be more valuable to teams at the next level if he added a back-to-the-basket element, just that coach seems to have a very rigid system and forces players to adapt to it, rather than annually tweaking the system (however slightly) to take maximum advantage of current player's strengths.

We'll definitely see next year...........

Go ZAGS

Zagdawg
01-06-2014, 03:00 PM
Karnowski averaged 10.7 mins a game as our 4th big last year---playing behind Harris/Kelly/Dower-- what I recall was Kelly playing the 5 and Harris playing the 4 and Dower (16 mins a game) being the first big off the bench.

TacomaZAG
01-06-2014, 03:33 PM
Karnowski averaged 10.7 mins a game as our 4th big last year---playing behind Harris/Kelly/Dower-- what I recall was Kelly playing the 5 and Harris playing the 4 and Dower (16 mins a game) being the first big off the bench.

You are correct about the 4 bigs last year. My point was simply that Kelly got to play some 4 as well as the 5 due to the presence of Karno and Dower. However, you are definitely correct about Kelly playing the 5 last year when he was in the game with Elias.

Go ZAGS

maynard g krebs
01-06-2014, 05:14 PM
coach seems to have a very rigid system and forces players to adapt to it, rather than annually tweaking the system (however slightly) to take maximum advantage of current player's strengths.

Last year, everything went through KO and EH; KP and GB both scored less as sophs than as fr. This yr when everybody was healthy, KP is top scorer w/ GB neck and neck w/ Dower. Lots more 4 out, spread the floor and penetrate, kick out to shooters and many more 3 pt attempts w/ GB healthy. Very different offensive look/emphasis this yr than last.

Last year, the 4 bigs combined for 985 of the team's 1934 fg attempts, just over 50%. This yr, PK, SD, AN, RE, and LM combine for 245 of 910 attempts, or about 27%. That's a pretty significant change in style from one yr to the next.

bballbeachbum
01-06-2014, 05:22 PM
Karno...his dominating play from that position is the tide that floats all other boats on D seems to me. not that any of the other players and parts aren't also part of it and will be needed parts when matchups change, etc. they're all part of it

but he's been beasting in there as the lone giant

ZagsGoZags
01-06-2014, 08:51 PM
What I would like most is for Few to follow Larry Bird's advice as much as possible. Let the best players play the most, and tell potential recruits they will get huge opportunities to demonstrate (not guarantees) if their performance can justify lots of PT. I think Few thinks he already does that (being the type of General that rewards loyal troops that follow the game plan well), and I think he coaches closer to Larry Bird's advice than some others on the board think he does.
We have had a dynasty because Few could take coachable players with high BB IQ, and create a team organization that could often beat other, more athletic teams. He could take the recruits that were not usually in the top 60, and create a strong system, esp. on the offense. The downside to that has been the types of teams that we would eventually run into (like Memphis) who defeat us: long, quick, athletic players who may play in a system that is not so tightly run.
Now we have some of the personnel with that type of athleticism.
I am not convinced Few has a clear plan about whether to accommodate his system to this type of talent. I hope he will develop a game plan in his mind for that, rather than let his gut react when a player like Gerard or Nunez takes a risk that fails, which causes him to react.

Oregonzagnut
01-06-2014, 09:57 PM
What I would like most is for Few to follow Larry Bird's advice as much as possible. Let the best players play the most, and tell potential recruits they will get huge opportunities to demonstrate (not guarantees) if their performance can justify lots of PT. I think Few thinks he already does that (being the type of General that rewards loyal troops that follow the game plan well), and I think he coaches closer to Larry Bird's advice than some others on the board think he does.
We have had a dynasty because Few could take coachable players with high BB IQ, and create a team organization that could often beat other, more athletic teams. He could take the recruits that were not usually in the top 60, and create a strong system, esp. on the offense. The downside to that has been the types of teams that we would eventually run into (like Memphis) who defeat us: long, quick, athletic players who may play in a system that is not so tightly run.
Now we have some of the personnel with that type of athleticism.
I am not convinced Few has a clear plan about whether to accommodate his system to this type of talent. I hope he will develop a game plan in his mind for that, rather than let his gut react when a player like Gerard or Nunez takes a risk that fails, which causes him to react.

This. I have been trying to define this in many ways here on this board for a number of years and this is the best description of it I have heard from anyone else. Few was/is genius and a master coach and team developer. But the type of guys he form fitted in the early 2000s, had to play as a team to succeed at the sweet 16 level. Few works hard all year but he also let the team play more freely in the Dance back then. Now he is so sure of his system (and rightfully so) it is a very rigid system, and it will limit players individually when that may be what is needed in March since we do have a higher level of talent now. I am not demeaning any past team!! But there seems to be a sweet spot of team fundamentals and pure individual athletic (defensive) ability that wins championships. Few was in the enviable position where he could over-recruit the capacity of his own system. Now the post season success is not improving linearly like we expect.

However, I think Few is so conservative that he accepts being one step behind any single individuals potential so that the TEAM never falls 2 steps behind. AND I AGREE WITH THIS! I love Few and this is a philosophical discussion, NOT A CRITICISM or CONDEMNATION!!! Few controls his experiments, and changes slowly so as not to fall too hard and lose the conference dominance. But in March, there is no "repair". IMO, Few is bound by an unwillingness to risk hitting a home run at the 35 minute mark of a close game in the rd of 32. And like in poker, you play strictly according to odds and strategy to get to the final table, but in order to win that final table, you have to risk it all when the odds do not favor you. this is fact at any of the highest levels of competition!! And other coaches know exactly what Few will do or won't do. They go all in. Few does not.

I know someone will attack me later or throw in the cliches that I think I am a better coach than Few or that I am not appreciative of all he has done. I hope Few stays forever and I can see we are improving every year, so much so in fact that a FF will come sooner or later because Fews system adapts slowly enough to accommodate the potential of his level of talent.

I just think we are impatient. Or maybe its just me.

Oregonzagnut
01-06-2014, 10:04 PM
OZN, surely you jest. That will never never happen.

Yes, that was mostly in jest. Few will likely never start Nunez over Stockton. Or anyone over stockton for that matter.

Unless......

Zags11
01-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Nunez needs to start. Coleman needs 25min. I know most coaches would have pangos, bell, nunez, dower and karno starting. Ds been fine this yr for a role guard. Im not gonna argue bout ds as he is a zag and stepped up this yr but idk who on this board said ds was a good defender. 3 of the 4 threes in 2nd half were on ds. Not dissing ds.

TacomaZAG
01-07-2014, 09:44 AM
However, I think Few is so conservative that he accepts being one step behind any single individuals potential so that the TEAM never falls 2 steps behind. AND I AGREE WITH THIS! I love Few and this is a philosophical discussion, NOT A CRITICISM or CONDEMNATION!!! Few controls his experiments, and changes slowly so as not to fall too hard and lose the conference dominance. But in March, there is no "repair". IMO, Few is bound by an unwillingness to risk hitting a home run at the 35 minute mark of a close game in the rd of 32. And like in poker, you play strictly according to odds and strategy to get to the final table, but in order to win that final table, you have to risk it all when the odds do not favor you. this is fact at any of the highest levels of competition!! And other coaches know exactly what Few will do or won't do. They go all in. Few does not.

EXCELLENT point, very well said...........

I agree that a little gambler mentality is needed in March, tempered by the game plan but not controlled by it. No tomorrow in March, as opposed to the regular season.

Go ZAGS

ZagaZags
01-09-2014, 08:24 PM
It was fun while it lasted. Portland 4-4 from 3 point land.

Zag79
01-09-2014, 11:40 PM
Regardless of the resume he's built, it's these games that drive us fans crazy. The only way Portland could beat us was to hit threes, they could never attack a man defense and score enough to win. We have the athletes to force the issue, which is why I don't understand how we continue to lose games by the three ball as we sit back in zone. Some minor adjustments to the defensive scheme could go a long way in a successful season, as well as avoiding some predictable future losses going forward.

Baseline
01-09-2014, 11:45 PM
I have watched Pepperdine play and they are for real. They gave BYU a run tonight, even though their top 2 scorers were hurt and not playing. They all shoot very well from the 3, way better than Portland. I think we have real trouble coming soon.