• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zag70
    Bulldog Fan
    • Feb 2007

Where is the band and the cheerleaders?

I have always understood that the cheerleaders and band members received a scholarship for their participation. Yet they are nowhere to be seen and heard. Certainly their presence would help stimulate some noise from the "new" crowd. I also note that in watching today's games, many of them have cheerleaders in attendence, if not also, the band. Their scholarship should be contingent on participation just like a player!
  • Zagguy
    Bulldog Fan
    • Feb 2007

A group of us old alums have been harping on this for a long time. Spouse is from Big Twelve and cannot believe they are not required to be there. they walk through the Bulldog Club before every game without even a Go Zags. Beyond embarrassing. We quit the extra scholarship donation to the cheerleaders a few years ago when told that is "not their deal".

On another note, why can't Few do a video to be shown before the game to explain what it means to be sitting in the student section? Most have never been there before and maybe a lesson from the Coach might help?

Comment

• webspinnre
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

When I was in the Pep Band, it was a purely voluntary thing, no scholarship/compensation. They did hire an actual paid Pep Band Director a number of years ago, so maybe things changed with regards to the students as well.
      I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• Whalers86
        Bulldog Fan
        • Feb 2007

Understood, but pretty sure the "scholarship" capital related to band or cheerleading is a monster cry from that of one of our beloved D1 athletes - absolutely 'fair' BTW. IMHO - it's ok if most of them are home with their families for the next couple weeks. How about the fans who show up in their seats actually stand up and yell like crazy for such a great gift of a team like the Zags in a town the size of Spokane?? Just a thought...

Comment

• Once and Future Zag
          Zag for Life
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by zag70 View Post
          I have always understood that the cheerleaders and band members received a scholarship for their participation. Yet they are nowhere to be seen and heard. Certainly their presence would help stimulate some noise from the "new" crowd. I also note that in watching today's games, many of them have cheerleaders in attendence, if not also, the band. Their scholarship should be contingent on participation just like a player!
          The pep band definitely doesn't get anything except a seat at the games.
          History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Comment

• ZaGranny
            Zag for Life
            • Jun 2013

From the Gu site

Gonzaga Cheerleading

The 16-member Gonzaga Cheerleading Team enjoys a truly unique college experience. It is the only true co-ed program in the West Coast Conference and supports nationally recognized Men's and Women's Basketball teams.

Please note: Gonzaga Cheerleading does not compete, nor does the program offer scholarships. Its primary focus is crowd involvement and with a heavy emphasis on partner stunting. Compared to other collegiate programs, time commitment is minimal. Thus, cheer team members are afforded more time to participate in other campus activities and maintain academic priorities.

All those interested in trying out must be accepted to the university or a current student and maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA throughout the season. For males, no previous experience required but athleticism and muscular strength are preferred. There are no height or weight restrictions for females, however, an appropriate physique and prior cheerleading/dance and gymnastics experience are strongly recommended.

Band

Welcome!
            The Gonzaga Bulldog Band is an all-volunteer, non-credit ensemble of woodwinds, brass, percussion, and amplified bass that plays for the Men’s and Women’s home basketball games. Rehearsals are minimal and the focus of the band is to support and provide music for the basketball teams. Freshmen are eligible to join the Gonzaga Bulldog Band!

Gonzaga’s success in the West Coast Conference and in the NCAA Tournaments has earned the school a great deal of recognition on the national scene. The Bulldog Band travels with the team to the NCAA Tournament in March to join other faithful Bulldog fans cheer on the teams on the national stage. The Band is a university club sponsored by the Gonzaga Student Body Association.

The bolding is mine.

ZaGranny
            Formerly ID ZAGFAN--now officially ZaGranny.

Comment

• Zag 77
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Bring in a guest band

Back in the bad old days of Kennedy Pavilion watching ABC's teams, they would bring in a HS band (because GU did not have on , I think.) Nowadays, HS bands are a heck of a lot better, especially in the GSL. I would bet some of the band directors would love a chance to have their kids get some exposure, and it would only cost GU about 30 of the student seats during Christmas Vacation.

Comment

• webspinnre
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Once and Future Zag View Post
                The pep band definitely doesn't get anything except a seat at the games.
                Getting a guaranteed seat at men's games is a decent benefit, but the biggest benefit is if you're a part of the NCAA pep band and get the all-expenses paid trip to the tournament, including a per diem while there.

Originally posted by Zag 77 View Post
                Back in the bad old days of Kennedy Pavilion watching ABC's teams, they would bring in a HS band (because GU did not have on , I think.) Nowadays, HS bands are a heck of a lot better, especially in the GSL. I would bet some of the band directors would love a chance to have their kids get some exposure, and it would only cost GU about 30 of the student seats during Christmas Vacation.
                This isn't a bad idea, and honestly, my HS Pep Band practice more than the GU pep band did when I was there, and was a better overall band.

Comment

• ZaGranny
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Zag 77 View Post
                  Good idea. Don't see why they couldn't. They bring in guest dance teams for half-time. It would just involve their learning the GU fight song in addition to their usual selections.

ZaGranny

Comment

• Once and Future Zag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by webspinnre View Post
                    Getting a guaranteed seat at men's games is a decent benefit, but the biggest benefit is if you're a part of the NCAA pep band and get the all-expenses paid trip to the tournament, including a per diem while there.

There is that - but that's paid for by the NCAA, not GU. And the year I got to take advantage of it, we were sent to SLC... party town USA.
                    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Comment

• webspinnre
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Once and Future Zag View Post
                      There is that - but that's paid for by the NCAA, not GU. And the year I got to take advantage of it, we were sent to SLC... party town USA.
                      Indeed. And while my experience in SLC certainly wasn't "party city" for the NCAAs, we had a great time, and I made money off of the per-diem.

Comment

• ZaGranny
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jun 2013

As an addition to the question of cheerleaders getting compensation--the opposite is true. Mr. ID had a conversation with a cheerleader, and she said that her uniforms cost her $200. Would not be surprised to know that that was true for the band members, as well.

ZaGranny

Comment

• UberZagFan
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Thank you Zaggranny. That's what Uber was going to post. It's voluntary and no schollies. It should be offering though. Uber has a daughter looking. . .
                          If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Comment

• DZ
                            Zag for Life
                            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by ZaGranny View Post
                            As an addition to the question of cheerleaders getting compensation--the opposite is true. Mr. ID had a conversation with a cheerleader, and she said that her uniforms cost her $200. Would not be surprised to know that that was true for the band members, as well.

ZaGranny
                            Thank you for that info, I think it is important. IF this is true - and I have no reason to doubt ZG at all:

It is highly offensive to me. I am deeply offended that the program(s) making all those millions and the school that's name is on the jersey is asking the students to pay for the uniform. I am all for paying market rates for coaches and facilities - but not on the backs of students that already pay a fortune (or work their tails off) to go to school there. They add a ton to the experience, and work hard at it (no matter what the school says relative to other schools, they work at it, it shows) and I am going to start some sort of petition/something/common sense/guilt trip to that department to get them reimbursed. THAT is deeply offensive.
                            Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                            Mark Twain.

Comment

• Zagguy
                              Bulldog Fan
                              • Feb 2007

Thanks for the clarification...and agree the financial burden on the band and cheerleaders need to be looked at closely.

Now, how about a Few video to get the folks going?

Comment

Working...
                              X