PDA

View Full Version : Cougs release schedule

BobZag
08-26-2007, 08:57 AM
http://wsucougars.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/082507aaa.html

No comment.

roxdoc
08-26-2007, 09:12 AM
Looks like they took a page out of Romar's occ play book.....except for the Zags!

kjstoph1
08-26-2007, 09:52 AM
Looks like they took a page out of Romar's occ play book.....except for the Zags!

New Jersey Institute of Technology refused to make it a double-dip in the Evergreen State.

btzag
08-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Wow, big fan of Bennett but got to think he had a hard time making some of those statements...

"The four challenging road games will hopefully get us battle-tested for the Pac-10 season."

"We are excited to have Air Force, Montana and Mississippi Valley State in Spokane for the tournament,"

Weak schedule and hopefully an aberration. I don't want another UW-type team in the state.... Really weird also that with that weak of a schedule they would pull out of the Alaska preseason tourney where they would at least face some decent opponents.:confused:

DhlZag
08-26-2007, 11:44 AM
Hello everyone this is my first post so forgive me if I don't see the bigger picture. I like the fact Bennett schedules a lot of regional games. Unlike Romar he sees some value to that. As far as Romar's schedule goes, although weak it fits in with his plan of gaining some national exposure. I don't like the guy (Romar) any more than the rest of you but if that's his plan it's at least better than last year's.

jbslicer
08-26-2007, 11:55 AM
It will be interesting how they price the tickets for the 3dayhoopextravaganza in your Spokane Arena.

Shanachie
08-26-2007, 12:03 PM
If you focus on the non-conference schedule, it doesn't look like much. But if the Zags played in the Pac 10, this is pretty much what I'd expect their schedule to look like, too. Maybe one more tough non-conference game would make sense, but my guess is it's not that easy for the Cougs to schedule games like the Zags have the last few years (CvC, HoF, etc.).

NorthWestZag
08-26-2007, 12:43 PM
People, lets get real. WSU’s strength of schedule will be much higher than ours at the end of the season. They have to double-dip UCLA, USC, Stanford, Oregon, Arizona, and a very tough PAC-10. Along with that they have to face us in the MAC. Of course they will play teams like EWU, Idaho State, ect early on.

zagco
08-26-2007, 12:58 PM
I think they should try a bit harder to get a couple good games for the fans in the pre-conference schedule, but overall I agree with the sentiment that the Pac-10 schedule itself more than makes up for the ease of the nonconference schedule. We're in no real position to argue that point. We do what we have to do to make up for the easy part (statistically speaking, because I recognize that conference games are often much harder than they should be) of our schedule, and they are doing what they have to do to survive through the hard part of their season.

ZagNative
08-26-2007, 02:31 PM
I cringe whenever I see yet another thread poking fun at the weak non-conference schedules of our friends in the Pac-10. IMO, we live in a different kind of glass house here in the WCC.

The average RPI ranking of the opponents on our our schedule going into this year is 164, according to my count (down for the average rank of 144 last year). WSU's opponents listed on their schedule have an average RPI rank of 116 going into this year.

WSU opponents = 116 Average RPI rank
]GU opponents = 164 Average rank

(Note: For pre-season NIT appearances, I used the RPI from the first opponent only. RPI rankings are from KenPom (http://www.kenpom.com/rpi.php?y=2007) at the end of the 2006-07 season.)

btzag
08-26-2007, 05:05 PM
Sorry all but I've got to disagree on the Pac-10 schedule argument...though not completely.

Yes, UW and WSU play a much harder conference schedule which makes it imperative that they not over-schedule their non-conference slate. I et that argument. HOWEVER, the great teams/programs across the country like Arizona, Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc. play very tough conference slates AND play marquee non-conference games as well. For some reason the overwhelming belief in the Pac-10(minus Arizona) is that the conference is so great that they need not to schedule good non-conference games. This however is not how all the great programs across the country think though you have some like Syracuse who schedule weak as well.

I guess it comes down to your opinion on this one, but I for one am on the side of playing a hard conference schedule and a good non-conference schedule as well.

MDABE80
08-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Hey it's not that different of the Cougs' schedule last year as far as OOC goes. Yes..it's a bit light in our estimation because we always have the Zags clearly play among the hardest OOC schedule in the country and we compare their OOC schedule to ours.. PAC 10 has 6 very good teams this upcoming year.....UW will surprise me if they accomplish more than a 7th place finish again ( those vaunted devils).

I think it might be too tall an order if WSU played Top 20 teams in the OOC.

cggonzaga
08-27-2007, 07:43 AM
Agreed Abe and others. There's a possible 7 teams that could make the tournament in the Pac 10 this year. That's 14 games against some of the toughest competition in the country. Why kill yourselves if you don't have to? They are trying to win a Pac 10 title this year, not just trying to get in the tournament. A Pac 10 title gets them a 1 or 2 seed in the tournament. A tough OCC gets them nothing.

saintzag
08-27-2007, 08:25 AM
Agreed Abe and others. There's a possible 7 teams that could make the tournament in the Pac 10 this year. That's 14 games against some of the toughest competition in the country. Why kill yourselves if you don't have to? They are trying to win a Pac 10 title this year, not just trying to get in the tournament. A Pac 10 title gets them a 1 or 2 seed in the tournament. A tough OCC gets them nothing.
Wrong. A tough occ gets them respect.

Asotin
08-27-2007, 09:34 AM
"Wrong. A tough occ gets them respect."

Really? Whose respect are you talking about? WSU's tournament seed and national ranking will be based almost solely on what they do in the Pac-10. ESPN and most other sports media outlets judge BCS schools almost solely on their BCS conference record. Conversely they judge "mid-major" schools on their occ games not their (precieved) weak conference games. To me the respect of the national media and the selection committee is the only respect that matters in the end. Because it is all about the dance and getting a good seed and good match-ups can make or break your run. If you don't make the dance, or get beat too early, then what you did in the regular season, especially in December is either forgotten or blamed. And if you win it all or even just exceed expectations, then that is all that anyone will remember, not what the team did in the regular season.

cggonzaga
08-27-2007, 10:00 AM
Wrong. A tough occ gets them respect.

From who and for what? I'm pretty sure they have the attention of every team they play this year. Where's the respect from playing a tough OCC going to take them? It would just beat them up for a tough conference schedule. They'll need to be plenty healthy and rested going into league play.

cbbfanatic
08-27-2007, 10:22 AM
"Wrong. A tough occ gets them respect."

Really? Whose respect are you talking about? WSU's tournament seed and national ranking will be based almost solely on what they do in the Pac-10. ESPN and most other sports media outlets judge BCS schools almost solely on their BCS conference record. Conversely they judge "mid-major" schools on their occ games not their (precieved) weak conference games. To me the respect of the national media and the selection committee is the only respect that matters in the end. Because it is all about the dance and getting a good seed and good match-ups can make or break your run. If you don't make the dance, or get beat too early, then what you did in the regular season, especially in December is either forgotten or blamed. And if you win it all or even just exceed expectations, then that is all that anyone will remember, not what the team did in the regular season.

a very good point which i agree with fully. i think it should not be forgotten around here that not all programs view the ooc schedule similarly. for high majors, their season is primarily focused on their in conference stretch. thats where they establish themselves, thats where they build the meat of their resume, thats what they spend the early season gearing up for. sure, theyll throw in several "challenge" games in their ooc schedule too, but lets not kid ourselves, they are getting ready for their conference run. with mid majors, it is entirely different, their proving ground comes in november and december when they get their cracks at the "big" teams.

its just an entirely different perspective on a season, one that needs to be remembered.

also, for the BCS schools it is considerably harder bc they play their tougher opponents late in the season, when everyone has had time to figure out personnel, chemistry, etc.

Nevtelen
08-27-2007, 02:12 PM
also, for the BCS schools it is considerably harder bc they play their tougher opponents late in the season, when everyone has had time to figure out personnel, chemistry, etc.

I agree with the rest of what you said about the two approaches to the OOC being different, but that BCS schools have it tougher is bs. There are different challenges each way, but either way there are serious challenges. You can't say one way is necessarily harder than the other. Sure, your opponents have figured out chemistry, personnel, etc by the end of the season, but your team has figured them out about your opponents, too. In the big games GU plays early on, neither team has necessarily figured themselves out yet. Neither way is an advantage or a disadvantage, necessarily.

Angelo Roncalli
08-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Only 3 of WSU's OOC games will be played on campus while school is in session: Eastern, Idaho and Portland State.

cbbfanatic
08-28-2007, 12:59 PM
I agree with the rest of what you said about the two approaches to the OOC being different, but that BCS schools have it tougher is bs. There are different challenges each way, but either way there are serious challenges. You can't say one way is necessarily harder than the other. Sure, your opponents have figured out chemistry, personnel, etc by the end of the season, but your team has figured them out about your opponents, too. In the big games GU plays early on, neither team has necessarily figured themselves out yet. Neither way is an advantage or a disadvantage, necessarily.

let me get this straight... are you saying that its not tougher for, say, indiana to face michigan state...
-@ michigan state in february when both teams have "come together"
-when there is a certain familiarity because of conference history
- with added conference rivalry and increased intensity
- with ever important conference standings on the line
- at the time of year where the bubble picture is clear and big wins are at a premium

than it is for any random team to play michigan state in december on a neutral court in a tourist destination like NYC of HI in a game that doesnt have any conference implications at all, and will be forgotten by many (teams included - to a degree) by the time selection day rolls around?

there's no sneaking up on anyone in conference play, everyone is ready to go, it IS more intense than OOC play, there IS more on the line.

its just different in the BCS conferences. there is no way around it.

NorthWestZag
08-28-2007, 07:30 PM
Only 3 of WSU's OOC games will be played on campus while school is in session: Eastern, Idaho and Portland State.

Ya good point. And they have 4 games in Spokane.

But it makes up for it when WSU plays all those PAC-10 teams in Pullman.

7ICoug
08-29-2007, 06:34 AM
What I received in my season ticket package was this pricing. 150, 75, 45, for the entire event. As there are two games each day for three days that's about 25 a game, 12.50 and 7.50 a game.

As some of this is for the Hispanic School thing I would suspect a good piece goes to charity which is nice.

lawzag
08-29-2007, 09:24 AM
that's pretty reasonable ticket pricing. Even if you only watch the WSU games that 3 WSU games for $15 - $50 each. Imagine you plan to jump on those tickets, right 71Coug?:D